Outlaw 2016

Comments

• Just look at that list, its a Pirate Party!image

• GavoGavo ✭✭✭

RTN - easy to say but try not to worry about it.  I've only done 1 and focused only on completing the swim & bike then the run is the easy bit for me (and one where I can't be hit by another swimmer or have an equipment failure).  I'm still at the completer not competer stage (Outlaw will be my 2nd) and I focus on
    - can I swim the distance?
    - can I bike the distance?

My 'training' will, I hope, get me to a level of fitness/ technique where I am sure/ can think that I can do this. 

• GavoGavo ✭✭✭

Should have added myself

Soloists

Red Stripe
    Scuba Trooper
    Silent Assassin
    Magna Carter
    Road to Nowhere
    Just Coop Going
    Lithium-Dude
    Paperman
    Hofmeister Bear
    GraemeK
    Cheggers
    Posh Twat
    Bristol Sparks
    Philomena Cunk
    Zakalwe Outlaw
    IronSmiff too
    Alibear30
    Cotswold Wolf
    Penfold2
    Gavo

Relay Teams
    Meldy's Misfits: Meldy, Rafiki, Nurse Ratched
    Team 24: citizen 146, Effing Madness, mathschick
    Norfolkinchance: Digger75 , Cake, The Dawn Shadow.
    Assassins Creed: un-named pirate, LittleClown, Mrs SA
    Fool's Gold: Ghost, Durhambiker

• it's going to be busy in 'pirate corner' in the campsite!

lets be honest.... its all prep for an Ironman on my 100th birthday
  • I will be in th posh section again away from the riffraff.......but this year i will even have my own toilet and shower  image

• I'm going to be staying with family 15 minutes away so no need to set up the guest room this year seren image

• Gavo wrote (see)

RTN - easy to say but try not to worry about it.  I've only done 1 and focused only on completing the swim & bike then the run is the easy bit for me (and one where I can't be hit by another swimmer or have an equipment failure).  I'm still at the completer not competer stage (Outlaw will be my 2nd) and I focus on
    - can I swim the distance?
    - can I bike the distance?

Thanks Gavo. I'm trying not to think of it, but then out of nowhere the butterflies hit.  Hoping all will be OK.  Probably would have run a marathon to the loos in the morning, even before we've all started image

• RTN, if it doesn't give you butterflies, then you're not giving the event the respect it deserves. I can however relate to your nerves... as I would imagine, can everyone else who has put their toes on the start line of an IM

Just remember that if you do the training, the event is there for the taking.... i'm not saying it won't hurt, because it will, but it is doable if you want it to be and you've done your prep .... its as much a mental battle as it is a physical one...

lets be honest.... its all prep for an Ironman on my 100th birthday
  • AliBear30AliBear30 ✭✭✭
    Magna Carter wrote (see)

Just remember that if you do the training, the event is there for the taking....

The training just isn't happening this year so far, you would think having failed twice now I'd be doing all the training I can get, but no not this year. I'm hanging onto the fact my swim is faster and I need to get back on that bike. Knee issues mean I've have to get round in time to walk the marathon.  I can do it and I will do it image

• Philomena Cunk wrote (see)

I'm going to be staying with family 15 minutes away so no need to set up the guest room this year seren image

glad to hear as I might be more fussy about who stays near my new van  image

• Having those butterfly moments but also quite excited at the same time. Swimming improving enough to beat the cut off time (only pool swam as yet though) bike should be good enough based on quattro sportive 5hrs 20 with stops for 86 miles and done several marathons in the past last one snowdon all between 3.5 and 4 hrs. Putting it altogether in one day maybe another thing though.
  • Team 24 (42) its 12 weeks and counting and your No2 (careful) is lacking bike miles but otherwise training is going well, still mostly working on my base towards Tenby in September, however I should be in a place by race day that doesn't embarrass the teamimage How is our swim and run legs coming along? Citizen and Mathschick?

• ah I am still slow but capable of getting round. Getting plenty of slow running and run/walking in. Not doing quite so well in terms of getting bike miles in ready for outlaw half in 5 weeks! 

• Thunder, snow, rain and really windy(not me) here, ended up with tonight's session being Hill intervals on the turbo. With local swimming pool closed due to boiler issues about the third time in as many months becoming a bit frustrating.

However I've been thinking/ trying out different approaches for fuelling on the bike. Last Weekends ride I mixed some gels in with water and took little but often swigs this seemed to be OK.

So my question is how far apart are the feed stations and what do they hold. I'm thinking of mixing gels in one drinks container and taking on energy drink from the other feed stations with a few solids and aim for 60 carbs per hour.
  • Feed stations are about every 16/20 miles. Gels, energy drink, water and bananas available at all

• Perfect. Thanks Durham for the swift reply
  • If any of the relay teams are in very desperate need, and for the right appearance fee, I could be persuaded to muck in rather than drink beer and taunt you from the safety of the bike aid station.

There are anvils that do the 2.4 mile swim faster than me, slightly less crap at the bike and run/mince bits, so if you're truly that desperate let me know image

• I've got to do (my own) Oly this weekend according to my training schedule.  Any others following Don Fink?

After an unplanned 5 mile walk home from work last night followed by having to collect my bike to cycle to meet my running partner (again unplanned), I've realised that I can't rely on Bristol buses so will always turn up to training sessions either warmed-up or a bit tired depending on where I am in my training.  Used my anger at the motherfuckin' buses not turning up to get me through the intervals.

• Hello Red Squirrel

Where abouts in Bristol do you train?

• I hated the buses in Bristol when I lived there. Bastards always gave me a change ticket when I was down to my last tenner before payday, so no lunch for me!
  • They are the worst in the UK surely Durham?  Sorry to hear you've had a bad experience.  The people who have to use them regularly must find it so soul-destroying/anger-inducing.

Sparks; I train in North Bristol, South Glos & Wales for running & cycling + also:

Henbury, Horfield and Kingsdown sports centres for strength, spinning, core, swim

Henleaze Lake and Mike's lake for outdoor swimming

• trains are better in Bristol, i live next to abbey wood so always jump on that if i need to go to town. 

Thanks RS, i train at mad mikes aswell, maybe see you there some day (not soon as too cold )

• Lucky you Sparky.  I like the trains and used to use the Severn Beach line loads when I lived in Easton.  I live in Henleaze now so only one bus which never turns up and nowhere near a train station.  BF is in Henbury and it was the No 1 which didn't turn up last night.  

Yup - hope to see you at Mike's soon.  I'm lucky to live right by Henleaze Lake, so train there in the week.

• SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭
    Anyone doing the Fred Whitton next weekend?
  • Team 24(42) leg 1 is/was training nicely, then it all went a bit wrong. Been off work with a knee injury and was knocked back from giving blood as anaemic AGAIN. Despite these common setbacks looking forward to the race,  all those not injured probably not training for triathlon ( or doing it rightimage ). 

Effing madness am sure you cannot embarrass this team, we are after all pirates and not like normal peopleimage.

Mathschick  good luck with the outlaw half!!

• mathschickmathschick ✭✭✭

citizen - I withdrew from outlaw half because my mum is going in for surgery soon (colon cancer - it has been a bit of a shock) so I wanted to be able to spend time visiting/helping rather than outlaw half. I do most of my running early morning and it keeps me sane, but need to be able to spend more time with family at the mo. She hasn't got a date yet but I think she will either be in hospital or just out at the end of May so wanted the weekend of outlaw half free

• mathschick , very sorry to hear that, hope that all goes well for her and the rest of the family, take it easy

• Matchstick - hope all goes well for your mum.

Got caught out in the downpour today whilst cycling cut it short Otherwise everything going along quite nicely need to get some outside swimming done soon, off on holiday soon and been aloud to pack wetsuit.

How's everyone else getting on
  • Thinking of you and your family mathschick.

All going well here Wolf. Biggest concern is struggling to fit in a couple club sprint tri's. The first one I had my 'taper' all wrong, so this week I'm laying off the long cycle and run, and taking it easy before the race next Sunday. Then I'll be crashing back into peak Fink! Woo!