VLM 2017 !!

Starting off with those poor souls (like me) who had to defer to 2017. Then, in October (when the ballot results are sent out) hoping for many other first timers to join in. Blithespirit's brilliant 2016 thread saw many of us through the winter months in the lead up to VLM 2016 and I'm hoping to continue that to 2017. Mostly first timers, but also many experienced people popped in to give advice, including the legendary Harmander Singh 2 - the utterly mad RW 5-hour pacer. I've deferred my ballot place to 2017 after an Illiotibial band injury which is on the mend, but not in time to get round VLM 2016 unfortunately. Anyone out there?
Tagged:

Comments

• KieranGKieranG ✭✭✭
    Oh, by the way - it's probably going to consist of at least 6 months of moaning about injuries before the marathon prep kicks in again in the Autumn, but we'll try and be cheerful along the way too !
  • *opens door and peers round*

Well done KieranG! You started! 

*turns lights on, puts out chairs, foam rollers and tape in preparation*

• KieranGKieranG ✭✭✭
    You're welcome Blithe, although this time next week you won't be a "first timer" any more !!
  • KieranGKieranG ✭✭✭
    Yes TopSec !!

Have you officially deferred yet?
  • Thank you KieranG - I will be moaning for ages about having to miss London. Rehab starts now that's for sure.!

• KieranGKieranG ✭✭✭
    Welcome to our very special club, Hajolli2image
  • Hello all, 

I am not new to running but am new to this group.

I wil be happy to share what I know and learn from others too.

• KieranGKieranG ✭✭✭
    Thanks Harmnder. Looking forward to another year of your wisdom, humour and McDonald's image
  • Ha, I'm not only one already planning for NEXT year. Excellent I don't feel quite so weird now. 

• Hi Leigh, did you have to defer? I hated having to do that but no choice in the matter..sigh.. very hard to take after all the training. (I have run marathons before so knew what kind of day I would have if I pretended it wasn't there and still tried to run)

Im hoping as a newbie to the London marathon, no one will mind me staying part of the conversation as it will be a first for me in that respect, and I am certainly no speedy gonzales!!

• KieranGKieranG ✭✭✭

Hi Leigh, welcome. My 53-week training plan is underway already, so no you're not the only weirdo image

I'm using RunKeeper training plans, slowly building up to a 10k event over the next 4 weeks, then a sub-1hr 10k, then a half marathon, then a marathon. The final three of those plans are 16 weeks each - so 48 weeks total , on top of a 5-week plan to build back up from now to 10k, which I could have done in my sleep before the injury image  

Then I can nail VLM 2017 and not always think I could have done better.

• We are also looking to defer till next year, it was going to be hard getting from the finish line to Wembley for the FA Cup semi final anyway but with the bad weather predicted Sunday I think I'd rather be wet inside than outside,good luck ???? to all you taking part,see you next year
  • TopSecTopSec ✭✭✭

Hit the defer button, didn't do it until now just in case I had a Jesus type healing image

My training 'may' start with a half on Sunday, if I have to drop out halfway round it wouldn't bother me whereas DNF'ing London would piss me off.  Kieran I'm with you on the 'think I could have done it better' too!

Let's see if we can keep this thread active through until next year!  Many moons ago I was on a 'Sub-5 thread' on here.  A bunch of us kept it going for years, we've sort of migrated to FB now as a group of friends outside of the forum and actually see each other in the real world now image

• There's a REAL world?!
  • KieranGKieranG ✭✭✭

image - yes, but it's full of weirdos planning for to run the 2017 London Marathon image

• KieranGKieranG ✭✭✭

Hi TopSec, disappointed that Jesus didn't heal you this time round image It's tough hitting that defer button, and reading the 2016 thread, with all those excited people making their final preparations for Sunday, is making me regret that decision (although I know it is/was the right one). 

I'll be on here at least once a week, I'm going to use it to record my progress if nothing else - sorry if that gets a bit boring. 

This week I have run 20.7 km in 4 runs. Today was 2 x 10 minute "fast" intervals. I managed 6mins/km for both of those (that's fast for me before you all laugh image).

A long way to go to the marathon, but compared to the less than 2 miles I managed a few weeks back after the injury really hit, I'm pretty pleased with progress - increasing distance and speed very steadily aiming for the local 10k on 22nd May.

• TopSecTopSec ✭✭✭

This week I have run 0 miles ...

• KieranGKieranG ✭✭✭

You'd better pick it up TopSec, you've only got 52 weeks to go image

• Ray 4Ray 4 ✭✭

Another deferrer here too!

2016 VLM was meant to be my first marathon and has been my obsession since getting a place in October 2015. Training had been going well up until week 12; all long runs had been done to date (2*20 miles, 2*18 miles, 2 * 16 miles) and I also ran a half marathon fairly comfortably in 1.39 so everything was on track for a good debut marathon. Not bad because a few years earlier, I was a fat bloke (3 stones heavier than now) that couldn't run down the street. 

After the last 20 mile run on Sunday morning, I had to go to NYC on business on Sunday afternoon and the hotel was right by Central Park. Instead of following the plan and resting / recovering, I ran around Central Park. Multiple times. Hard. Each day for 3 days. Probably not a coincidence, but I came down with shin splints a few days later, just a week away from taper. I deferred at the start of this week and will (hopefully) be running the 2017 VLM.

It's been a chastening experience; from feeling strong running around Central Park and feeling in great shape for London 4 weeks ago, to gingerly running a half mile on the treadmill gym last night.

Let's hope I've learned my lesson and roll on 2017!

• KieranGKieranG ✭✭✭
    Hi Ray - lesson learned then.;-). It's as easy to overtrain as it is to under-train. 2017 is going to be a much better year anyway - they're talking about it snowing this Sunday
  • KieranG wrote (see)
    Hi Ray - lesson learned then.;-). It's as easy to overtrain as it is to under-train. 2017 is going to be a much better year anyway - they're talking about it snowing this Sunday

Oh no Kieran G - don't start with THAT line!! image

• KieranGKieranG ✭✭✭

Ha ha Blithe, I have to make myself feel better about it all somehow !

I'm sure you won't even notice the blizzard conditions on Sunday image

• KieranG wrote (see)

Ha ha Blithe, I have to make myself feel better about it all somehow !

I'm sure you won't even notice the blizzard conditions on Sunday image

LOL!! 

• TopSecTopSec ✭✭✭

Think they've downgraded from the snowy forecast today image

Tailrunner at my local park run today, I had planned on it being a gentle leg stretch for tomorrow but turned into a test run as to whether I could do a half tomorrow, answer is no!  

Might try a little run on my own tomorrow and see how it goes 

Sorry to hear about your shin splints Ray, that's a bummer!

• Ray 4Ray 4 ✭✭
    Thanks Top Sec. I will be at the gym tomorrow, keeping up the CV fitness I've built up over the months and watching the marathon on telly. I'm determined to be on the start line for next year.
  • I'm gonna do 5K today and see if this helps me think about potential pace for longer distances...

• KieranGKieranG ✭✭✭
    I'm going to leave my front door when the mass start gun goes off tomorrow morning and run 1/8th of a marathon, then come home and watch everyone else run the other 7/8ths image
  • TopSecTopSec ✭✭✭

Did anyone receive a confirmation email re withdrawing?  I just had a minor panic as I couldn't find one.  I did a screenshot of my withdraw screen though and it says you will get an email by 6th June so panic sort of over!!

Foot hurting when I woke this morning so I definitely made the right decision, I stayed in bed and watched it until noon image

• ShedboyShedboy ✭✭✭
    People you are in for a treat next year...its thenmost amazing experience...i cried at stages it was so amazing. Humanity and running ... Wow!!!!

Train slow build up slow and you will have a life changing experience. I know i just did.

Might join you for next year ????