Sub 3h15

Comments

• I'm planning to be in Chandos with either a happy sub-3:05 face or a VERY VERY happy sub-3 face.

OO, Moof, NM3 - see you at the coffee stall at about 9.00. Looks like there asking for bags to be loaded on the lorries an hour in advance so hopefully it won't be too chilly.

Sounds like we're all going beetroot crazy on here - nice mixture there Freemers. Mixed some beetroot super concentrate in with some orange juice this morning and it was very tasty indeed.

4.5 miles with some strides this morning - very easy run planned for tomorrow.

• BirchBirch ✭✭✭

good luck on Sunday everyone image   

• Bike ItBike It ✭✭✭
    It sound like you have some good options VTR. I too used to be another one to run everything under 8m/m. When I came here I finally slowed down and run pretty much everything around 8:30 to 8:40 simply because of heat and altitude. It already seemed to pay off with HM PB and a comfortable 3:15:57 marathon at altitude and heat. So I think your general aerobic development would be good. 20 weeks sounds a long time to me. I can just about stand 8-10 weeks of harder work. How long was it into your last campaign that you injured your core? That might be a good measure of how long a period of hard work you could toletate. Then I would just base train before the period of harder and more focused work on the marathon. The other way may be to train specifically for 10km or HM to accentuate speed before another marathon cycle.

33 km today - 13km work commute and 21km on dirt road at lunchtime. All very pleasant.

Pink pee anyone?
  • PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    Like a night out with Timothy Leary...
  • I am not convinced beetroot makes much difference over long events but just in case I bought two shots at the expo. Hopefully see some of you coffee stand at 9am. Saw Kelly Holmes speaking, she looks trim. Also the runners world stand confirmed someone will be pacing 2.59 from the fgfa red start pen
  • moofmoof ✭✭✭

I went to the expo today to pick up my number and work out the logistics of getting to the start as the Bakerloo line doesn't stop at Paddington at the moment ????.

Looks like no 23 bus from Paddington to Trafalgar Square then Charing Cross to Blackheath seems the best and quickest option.

• sscssc ✭✭✭

Moof how easy is it to go to Greenwich and then walk to blue start? Am considering doing this instead of trying to swap trains etc

• ssc - where are you coming from?

General tip for those travelling by train on Sunday - aim to get on the train at a station at the end of the line, i.e. if you're going to the Blue start or the Red FGFA start, go to Charing X, not Waterloo East and it you're going to the Red or Green start go to Cannon St not London Bridge.

Trying to get on a train when it's already chock-a-block with runners is a. not easy and b. somewhat stressful. I made the mistake of doing it one year - never again!

• moofmoof ✭✭✭
    Not sure as I've always got the train to Blackheath, it's a big green field to walk around and I'm saving my legs for the race. image
  • Bike ItBike It ✭✭✭
    Are you aware of the ' marathon special' from Basingstoke to Waterloo Moof?. Then your best sardine impression in the train to the park
  • sscssc ✭✭✭
    Travelling from tower bridge - last time wasn't too bad getting to Greenwich which is why I wondered about walking to blue start from there
  • ssc - it's probably about 4 miles or so from Tower Bridge to Greenwich; I'd just get the tube to Cannon St and the train from there if I were you.

• LB70LB70 ✭✭✭
    Last run before Sunday completed this evening with an easy 4 miler. Now packed and ready for an early start tomorrow - 7.05am train to Kings Cross, drop family and bags off at the hotel and then straight to the expo!

It looks like there'll be a few off us running at similar paces from the green start, so I'll try to look out for numbers to say hello!
  • Cor, it's all so exciting.

I gather that my rival Wardi is also a bit 3:15 still, although pretending by hanging around the sub 3's. Still, that's better than me. The CV system is in great shape for a tractor, thanks to lots of bike miles. The knee has been quiet for a while, primarily due to a lack of run miles. Twice a week is jack all. Training pace is 8m/m, so that's not unreasonable. Belly timber quotient is still in need of attention. At least I can fit in my jeans again. That's my real target.

• sscssc ✭✭✭
    Lorenzo- wasn't planning on walking from tower bridge- not that keen! I meant get train to Greenwich and walk to blue start. Is that do able?
  • moofmoof ✭✭✭

Bike it- Cheers but I'm without a car for Sunday so getting over to Basingstoke is the problem, so I'm staying over my mother in laws at Reading (taking my ear plugs). I've used the Basingstoke route before which is by far the most straight forward.

Three mile jog this morning.

• SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭
    Smash it everybody!! image
  • parkrun this morning. Plan to take it real easy, came out as sub 7 pace without trying. Taper seems to be complete. Will start with the 3 hour pacer tomorrow and see what happens: may be ugly.

• ssc - should be do-able although I suspect that Blackheath is a fair bit closer to the Blue start than Greenwich.

Good parkrunning there PMJ - sounds as though sub-3 could be on the cards. See you at the start.

Rest day for me today - trying to take it easy.

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Slight sore knee yesterday made much worse by 3 mile test jog today. Have purchased voltarol, ice spray, rock tape and knee support but fearing a DNS.
  • Jools - aaaargh! Take it easy today and see how it feels tomorrow. Fingers crossed for you.

• PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    Oh no! Good luck. Sometimes an apparent injury is just a transient twinge.

Good running everyone - remember not to be s***
  • Bike ItBike It ✭✭✭
    Best wishes all for VLM. I hope you get out what you put in.

Take care Jools. The first time I ran Comrades I struggled with a 2m test 2 days before. In the race I had pain for the first 5m and then it subsided. It seems to be part of the taper. Good luck

Parkrun pushing a buggy with 12cm wheels through grass when it's got a 4 year old in it is hard and we were running with my 6yo son. 41 minutes.
  • VTrunnerVTrunner ✭✭✭

Thanks everyone for your comments on my training. Am digesting it all! Speed seems to be a common theme so will address in some form. Also, BI, I think you are onto something regarding a shorter build.

But most importantly, run your a$$es off tomorrow VLMers! DBS!!

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Jools I hope it proves to be phantom that is unbelievable bad luck

Highbury fields parkrun was fun, much slower than you PMJ but I added 2 miles  jogging with my daughters. Junior OO was 1st lady by 2 mins. Very confusing doing a 5 lap course.

• BirchBirch ✭✭✭

Fingers x'd Jools  . . . . .

to add to y'day's well - wishes - DBS everyone !  

parkrun this morn to obtain benchmark after the knee probs this year ; encouraged by 21:31 (didn't expect to be sub-22 at this stage) - 1st VoGit & 75.2 % WAVA 

• VTrunnerVTrunner ✭✭✭

Jools! Missed your post. How could that even happen? I hope it flees as quickly as it appeared and you are good to go in the morning! Hang in there!!

OO, awesome work by Jr!

Is it super tricky for your loved ones to spectate at London? Boston, probably directly because of the incredible crowds, was very tricky for my wife to navigate just to get one viewing opportunity.

I've set my DVR to record the event. I'll be cheering for you guys in my dreams as you'll be off at 3:30 AM my time!

• BirchBirch ✭✭✭

OO - missed that !  Great work by jnr  . . . . .

• VTrunnerVTrunner ✭✭✭

Nice form Birch! Great win and encouraging after all the knee troubles. Perfect place to be as we roll into the really nice training weather.

• MsEMsE ✭✭✭

Dropping in to wish all the very best of luck tomorrow.  I'll be tracking those of you I know so don't you dare give up when it gets tough. I'll be watching your every step :: stern look:: image