Old marathon results

Is there anywhere I kind find old marathon results,I ran in the first 3 Manchester and Stockport marathons in the early eighties but can't remember my times(Didn't get the medals engraved)
Just started running again after 20 odd years and just wanted to compare times.
Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    If you e-mail me I may be able to help. Neil Shuttleworth has written a book (with Ron Hill) called Manchester Marathons, which included Stockport maras. Whilst it does not have full results I probably have Neil's address, or that of a guy called Hamish Thomson who is both a Stockport Harrier and a contributor to the book.

Incidentally, I doubt if you ran the frst three Manchester marathons: the first was in 1908! In the "modern" era there was the maxol series in the early 70s, followed by the 80s revival, with the 1981 to 1985 series, often known as the Picadilly marathon.

Standards were high: Steve kenyon ran 2:11, and 2:40 did not always guarantee a place in the top 100.

The Stockport(or Daffodil) Marathon was a much tougher proposition, both because of the course, and early April weather.
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Alehouse
    Sorry yes I ran in the Piccadilly marathons 81~84 and the Daffodil 81~83
    I remember running it on the day my niece was born which funnily enough is this Saturday comimg up,she's 22 on Sat.
  • If you're still logging on here and still running and are still after the results (unlikely after 7 years) I think i have the Stockport 1983 results somewhere, which I ran when I was 17.

• compo 1compo 1 ✭✭✭

shame the stockport marathon is still not heldimage

• I ran the 1982 Piccadilly Marathon, it would be great t get the results if M Cortvriend has them, I have always estimated my time from memory. I ran the 2014 Manchester marathon today, 32 years later, ran about 20 minutes faster I think!! 

• Hi is it possible for one of you guys to look up my time and position in the Stockport marathon? I think it was 82 or 83 also I did the Piccadilly in 81. It would be much appreciated. My name is ralph casson I ran for Stockport harriers.
  • Hi Ralph

My results are sitting in a container somewhere and I won't be able to get to them for a year or so. As soon as I can I'll look up your name to see if it's there. I do recall that the winner was from the USA. I also ran Piccadilly in '82 and the Bolton Pony Marathon (up Plodder Lane!) in either '81 or '82 but I don't have those results - can anyone else help. (Just out of curiosity you know!)

• Hi thanks for the response I'll keep looking in the mean time thanks.
  • booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

I guess looking through local newspaper archives might be a way of finding out some old race results. 

• I do not know if anyone is still interested in this thread or reads it, but I have the full Piccadilly Radio Charity Marathon results for 1982,1983 and 1984, as I ran it in 1982 and 1983.

If Jonah8 and Chris Ashcroft could give me as much detail as possible (full names, club if any and rough finishing time), I would be happy to look it up for them and post it here.

Thanks

• Graham Stirling- I ran it in 1984 as Val Lloyd for Stretford A.C.. I think my time was 3.21. Can you confirm and tell me my position as well? 

• Hi Val

Many thanks for your message. I have taken a look at the results through a magnifying glass (the computerised print used in those days is so small that nowadays, this is an absolute necessity for me !), and can see that your position and finishing time was as follows :

12th position in Ladies Race - 3 hours 21 minutes 16 seconds

That is a time I would have been delighted with and of course, in our day, there were no such things as chips in the shoes to record your actual time for the distance - all you had was the clock time. I remember in 1983 looking at the clock as I passed the start line and seeing that 3 mins and 16 secs had already gone by, so I knocked this off my clock time at the end to give me my true running time for the distance (3hrs 48 mins 18secs), which I was very happy with. Unfortunately for me, I broke my foot and ran most of the race with a stress fracture (it went numb so I could not feel it), and it was only the next day after a visit to the hospital that I discovered the extent of my injury (I left on crutches).

I have very happy memories of those days when we were members of Swinton Jog Fit Club, which still exists to this today, but knee trouble eventually took its toll and I had to retire from the sport at the end of 1984. The atmosphere at the races we entered was always very good and two tough races that will always stand out in my memory were the Otter High Peak Half Marathon at Buxton (ran it in 1983 and 1984) and the Middleton Moonraker Half Marathon (ran it in 1982 and 1984) - fantastic scenery at Buxton and a real sense of achievement at completing the course, and  great organisation at Middleton over another hilly course in July.

Those were great days and I feel very lucky to have been a part of them. image

• Graham Stirling  I ran it in 1984   0846 colin mchugo  Think around 4 30 4. 45. Be nice to know the true time.  Many Thanks

• thanks for the results Graham. Maybe  I was even faster that year then? I was First Lady in one of your races....the Swinton 6 in 1984. What happened to that race? I remember doing the Moonraker Half as part of my training for the 1985 marathon......tough course....

• Hi graham,

my son is at manchester met and wants to run the manchester marathon next year. He wants to beat the time I did in 1983. I was a student at salford university and I stayed on in the halls of residence after everyone had broke up for the summer to wait for the manchester marathon. my name is john kalka and I think I did around 3:45. It would be great if you could check so that I could set my son an accurate time to beat. Many thanks,

john

• Hi this is for Graham striking. I believe you have the results of a these marathons Is there any chance you could look up my times and finishing position please. I did Piccadilly in 1982 and Stockport either the year before or after. Medal was not engraved unfortunately. Any help greatly appreciated. Could you email me its ralphcasson@sky.com.

Thanks
  • That should have said graham stirling.
  • Graham Stirling, I ran it in 1982 and I think my time was around 4 hrs 11 minutes. No other info I don't think as I wasn't a club member. I did it as a late decision to join house-mate Steve Rice who did it in about 3 hours! I did about 5 weeks training for it and only ran 11 miles as the longest run before the race! I was a top hockey player at the time and was used to short training bursts rather than proper distance running, needless to say I was going well until 18 miles, after that disaster!

My email is chrisjashcroft@btinternet.com

• SlowkoalaSlowkoala ✭✭✭

I just bought an athletics weekly from eBay from April 30th 1983 as it has the London Marathon results in and my dad ran it that year. The results for that edition are only up to 2:30 (luckily my dad ran 2:25) as I think they had from 2:30 onwards in latter editions but I am happy to look up any results for anyone.

• Hi everyone !

I must apologise for the very long delay in getting back to this, but I had a lot of problems with my contact lenses earlier in the year, as well as being buried under work for almost the entire year. The print on the results is so small that I will be needing to get a much stronger magnifying glass as even the one I have is not really that good.

If you can all bear with me a little longer, I will definitely try to get back on the case and find the times for those who have asked me to look in the old results. I have the Piccadilly Radio Charity Marathon results in full for 1982,1983 and 1984, but none for 1981 and no results for the Stockport Marathon or the Bolton Marathon.

I do also have many sets of results for some of the Half Marathons run at that time and here is a full  list of results in my possession :

Piccadilly Radio Charity Marathon 1982

Otter High Peak Half Marathon 1983

Winsford Half Marathon 1983

Swintex International 25km 1983

Knowsley Half Marathon 1983

Bolton 10 1983

Piccadilly Radio Charity Marathon 1983

Swinton Jog Fit Club Half Marathon 1983

Sunday Times National Fun Run 1983

Northwich Half Marathon 1983

Warrington Half Marathon 1983

Lancashire Fire Brigade 10 1983 (results quite faint)

Piccadilly Radio Cross Country 1984

Otter High Peak Half Marathon 1984

St Helens Half Marathon 1984

Wilmslow Half Marathon 1984

Winsford Half Marathon 1984

Weaverham Half Marathon 1984

Piccadilly Radio Charity Marathon 1984

Thomas Cook Southport Beach 10 1984

Swinton Jog Fit Club Half Marathon 1984

Cromwellian Half Marathon 1984

March 10  1990

Cambridge Half Marathon 1990

I should also somewhere have the results for the Middleton Moonraker Half Marathon 1982 and Middleton Moonraker Half Marathon 1984, but cannot lay my hands on them at the moment, though I am sure they are here.

Most of the results are still very clear, even after over 30 years - it is the marathon ones that aren't, due to the large numbers of entries and the inferior technology of those days.

If anyone does want to know where they finished, it is really helpful if they can give me a rough idea of their finishing time, in addition to their name, as scouring the thousands of names of marathon finishers in tiny print is tiring on the eyes, when the starting point for the search is unknown. image

Thanks everyone for your patience !

Graham

• Hi, I ran the Piccadilly Charity Marathon in 1982, and I finished in around 4h 11mins I think. If you can confirm the correct time that would be much appreciated!

• Hi Ralph (Casson)

I am happy to say that I have found your result in the 1982 Piccadilly Radio Charity Marathon :

402nd position

Time : 3 hours 0 minutes and 20 seconds (what a near miss !).

I have E-mailed this to you separately and will send photographic evidence of it to you.

Cheers

Graham

• Hi Chris (Ashcroft)

I have E-mailed you separately as I am having problems finding your time in the 1982 results, although I did find that of your friend Steve Race, who clocked 2:57:59.

I will keep trying though as it has to be there somewhere, unless you are one of the finishers listed as *unknown".

Cheers

Graham

• Hi Colin (McHugo)

I am happy to say that I have found your result in the 1984 Piccadilly Radio Charity Marathon :

Position : 4978

Time : 4 hours 30 minutes and 13 seconds

I have messaged this to you separately and will send photographic evidence of it to you if you can send me your E-mail address.

Cheers

Graham

• If I may make a suggestion...  The copies of the result you're holding would be well to be forwarded to Athlinks. Their site is intended to be an archive of all sorts of race results, and whilst they take in all new events, I'm sure they'd love to add some historical ones. 

http://www.athlinks.com

(I have no connection with this site, other than being a normal user)

• My dad, Richard Thomas, ran the Manchester marathon around1985. can anyone tell me what time he did it in? He recently passed away and I would like to run it again for him. Thanks 

• Hi Graham, Your're doing a great job here ! I too ran the Radio Piccadilly marathon in 1982 and 1984  and would love to know my results. I'm pretty sure I ran between 3-3.5 hours on both occasions but was not a club member then. I think my 1984 time was between 3hrs and 3 hrs 10 mins but that maybe wishful thinking. If you can find them I would be very grateful.  My E mail is phildawson52@btinternet.com

• Hi Graham and everyone on this thread. What an awesome job you're doing Graham, helping everyone out and finding their race times! I ran my first marathon in 3:45:57 in Brighton last week (age 39!) and have been reminiscing with my dad about his marathon running days. He did 5 in total - Manchester Picadilly and Bolton in 1981, and in 1982 he did London (he's one of the million finishers so I was able to look up his time - which was 3:12:53 - on the special tshirt order site they have this year), plus Manchester and Windermere. He got a PB sub 3 hour in Manchester 1982. If Graham or anyone can confirm his actual time in that Manchester Picadilly 1982 to me so I can let him know, I'd be ever so grateful. My email is rachel.trew@gmail.com if you can send me a pic image His name is Rod Leyland.

Thanks in advance!

Rachel
  • Ok I've now been told that dad ran the Piccadilly marathon in 1982 - Richard Thomas. My email is abigwynne@hotmail.com. Thanks