Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Louey / Steve / Caitlin - Well done on Brighton, it's a marathon on my to do list. Very good pacing Louey & shame you just missed out on the sub 4, but there's always another. Fantastic run Steve, you got it spot on. I Like to read all the reports, keep them coming image

Shades - Nice medal for the Great Welsh, great time as well. Can you stick me on your list please, White Peak on 21st May & Liverpool on the 29th May.

Excited for you all in London, hope everyone has a great run. Forecast looks good for the runners. Good luck.

1st time Volunteering at parkrun tomorrow! ,a bit nervous image

• Thanks all, really getting excited now. Got pasta for tea tonight and a pack of flapjacks and scotch pancakes to accompany my sandwich on the journey up tomorrow: plus two bottles of water. Race number is 9264 for anyone interested!

See you the other side of London folks!
  • Sorry about your injury MF. Hope things improve soon.

What volunteering role do you have KK? Generally runners are very grateful to the marshals. You'll be fine. My husband is cycling to fountains Abbey to meet me. I will drive and do park run. Then after coffee we will drive back together.
  • SlowkoalaSlowkoala ✭✭✭
    I've bought some of those waffles, MF but my 9 yo keeps scoffing them! Do you know what the problem is with the foot/ankle? Is it some kind of tendonitis? So frustrating.

You know you are finally losing it when you spend 10 mins sewing up arm warmers (so don't look like Nora Batty Shades!) I have never worn them running but may try them as at least I can discard them if no good. Plus I bought a felt sticky ring for my bunion. And have been taped again. Why do we do all this?!!

Have a safe journey Jacky. And good luck to you, Iain and Top Sec (are you running TS as I saw on another thread that you'd been injured?!)
  • Iain LoveIain Love ✭✭✭
    SK - Yeah I'm in pen 1 in the FGFA so no pressure.. Lol.
  • mowzermowzer ✭✭✭

mamafox - thanks for your kind words. Nice country rambles are definitely the best kind of marathon image. Hope your niggles clear up soon.

Big G - no, I haven't taken up a place in London - although I did promise my daughter that if I could get a GFA place in 4 years time I might (but 4 yrs is a long time and who knows what we will be doing then). Born and bred in London so I actually don't even like the place - and all those crowds make it seem like my idea of a nightmare image.

Shades - I've done the Boston (Lincs) event for the past 2 years. Really enjoyed it but thinking of doing a long walk instead that weekend (and also thinking that I couldn't better last year anyway).

GOOD LUCK to our London Shadies. Have fun and enjoy image

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭

I have noticed before that people struggle getting the carbs in before race day.  Strangely, that's a problem I don't seem to haveimage 

KK, I'm also volunteering for parkrun today, but I'm tail runner so I still get a finisher's time as well if I want.  I'm getting there a bit earlier to jog around on my own, and then I'll join the event and catch up the pack.  

It's much nicer here today after a generally poor day yesterday in terms of the weather.  My last run was on Wednesday, so hopefully two full days off will have done my hip some good, and the run goes okay this morning.  It feels fine at the moment, so hopefully it'll behave on the gentle run this morning.

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭

Can I ask what I know is probably a stupid question image

If a race mentions the course includes a "12.31 miles 'out and back' run", I had assumed that for a marathon we'd do about 6 miles out, 6 miles back, and we would do all that twice.  However, I was talking to someone on Wednesday and she said she thought the race was 12.31 miles in one direction, and then 12.31 back.

Is this just one of those strange language things, where it's not 100% clear, or is my friend correct and I'm wrong?

(For info, there is a loop before this to take the race up to the marathon distance).

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭

SK - Ha ha at you sewing up the arm warmers, but if you need them they would annoy you so much if they kept falling downimage. We know why we do these things, because we're passionate about our running.  Why else would we stand on a start line wearing a bin bag.image

Good to hear the carbs are going well, funny I find the Welsh cakes a bit heavy for me, could eat some of Jacky's pancakes thoughimage

Ian5 - you are recovering really well, that's a great run

Lily - I once got a place in London through that charity ballot.

That Sunderland marathon didn't sound very appealing, well done for finishing.  

mamafox - Lidl here sell caramel wafers very similar to the M & S ones, maybe they're in your Lidl too.

Make sure your OH fixes that aerial today for you.

Great that your knee has healed but sorry to hear your ankle has flared up again, I'm sure your Chinese doc will sort you out.

KK - enjoy your parkrun volunteering.

Jacky - thank you for your number, hope you have a good journey today.

mowzer - I'm assuming Boston is on again this year, RO deferred my entry which was very kind of him so I'll have to go this year.   I do like the course, it's my 6 hour PB course, but I think I entered the 12 hour this timeimage

I think you'll be getting GFA times for a very long time, you already have the GFA time for a couple of age groups below you, you speedy thing.image

Big G - glad the hip seems OK.

I've just gone onto the website to read the course description and initially I would have understood that as 12.31 out and 12.31 back, but then it says twice so I think you're right. (I bet DG wrote thatimage)

Good luck all London runners and anyone else racing tomorrow as there are a couple of other marathons on too,

Cold wind this morning, nice when the sun came out, saw some baby rabbitsimage

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭

The List

10th April -Manchester
    Ian5 - 6817 - completedimage
    Cal - 8014 - completedimage
    System J - 10181 - completedimage

17th April - Brighton
    Louey - completedimage
    Steve -completedimage
    Catalin - completedimage

17th April - Great Welsh
    Shades -completedimage

24th April - London
    Slowkoala - 221
    Iain - 30910
    Jackygirl - 9264
    TopSec

30th April - Plym Trail
    Big G

1st May - North Dorset
    mowzer
    Shades

21st May - White Peak
    KingKenny

29th May - Liverpool
    Ian5
    KingKenny

22nd October - Bilbao
    Jugula

Please add/edit as required.   Apologies if I've made any errors or omissionsimage

• mamafoxmamafox ✭✭✭

SK - Lol at you sewing up those arm warmers! My injury is exactly the same one which never quite went away completely - bursitis in my foot/ankle joint. In hindsight I shouldn't have jumped straight into a training programme before ensuring that it healed. I should have just built up easy running gradually. But there you go image Hopefuly it's not too late to recover a bit and get round Carcassonne as a slow training run. We'll see.

I've downloaded the tracker app for London on my phone  and it looks really good! You are all noted so when you go over those timing mats or whatever they're called I shall be jumping up and down over here for you image 

Good luck the London Shadies!

• LoueyLouey ✭✭✭

Shades - I love the list, it's really good to see what everyone is doing. 

VLM runners - I did a 5 mile slow run around the Thames on Thursday and soaked up a bit of the London atmosphere. The barriers were up already, as was the 25 mile and 40k marker (huge! I don't remember them being that big). Excited for you all. It looks as though the weather is going to be ok. Enjoy the race, can't wait to hear the reports and I will be tracking you all.

Mowzer - I'm in awe (and a tad jealous) at your sub 4hr time, how you run those times when you are doing so many marathons I have no idea. My legs are definitely in need of a rest, the idea of doing London this weekend after Brighton last weekend is not at all appealing! 

KK - well done for volunteering!! Hope it goes well

Sorry for short post but it hasn't been a nice morning here. We came out of the house to take the kids to their tennis lessons and noticed that the house opposite had been broken into overnight. The occupants are away on holiday. Had to phone police and wake up the neighbours who have a key. We are all feeling really shaky. Apparently they have totally ransacked the house and have left muddy footprints on the furniture/carpets. 

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭

mamafox - it's easy in hindsight to comment on what you think you should/could have done, but at least you gave it your best shot.   Maybe your Chinese doc can advise on your training so that your bursitis doesn't reoccur.   You can go back to your P & D training plan when you're injury free.

Louey - the list is missing all but one of mowzer's races as she does so manyimage.   I haven't put all of mine on either but I only do a quarter of what mowzer does in one year.

You seem to be recovering well from your marathon

Bad news about your neighbour's break in, I'm not surprised you're all a bit shaky, what a horrible thing to happen.

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭

Ah thanks Shades.  I thought I'd read about the 4 "laps", but didn't see it when I scanned the site again this morning.

I did my planned run, which was just over 6 miles and no pain.  I started the actual parkrun about 15mins late but jogged and caught up the tail runner, whilst taking the course markers down, and then walked the last mile or so with her.  I suppose it kind of counts as a 6-mile run, and fortunately there was no hip pain.

I was going to do a couple of 10-milers, but thinking about it now I don't see the point as if I get hip pain again I'll be annoyed.  I don't know exactly what I'm going to do, but I can't see me going over 6 or 7 now.

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭

Big G - there's nothing to be gained by testing your hip so nice short runs makes sense.

Nice way to get 6 miles done this morningimage

• Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭

Good stuff, Big G.

I lost my parkrun virginity today. Walked up to the common and asked a couple of runners what to do (because, well, I didn't know). Turns out they were from my club so we had a nice chat before and after.

Weather was supposed to be sunny but there was quite a bit of cloud and an icy wind. Not that nice really. I pushed myself to run at a speed that was a bit uncomfortable but not to the degree that my breathing started to resemble someone sawing through a big log. My official time is 27:48 - not blisteringly fast but not bad for two weeks post-marathon. I was pleased with the pacing. Mile splits (being old I don't much like KMs) were 9:12, 9:07 and 9:03.

My 10K PB is 55:19 so I can definitely do better, but well, it was my first try so I'm reasonably happy with that. The trick will be running 13 miles at that pace, which I have to do if I want to get that sub-2 hour half. Lots of speed work, I guess.

And huge good luck to all VLM Shadies. Hope the weather hold. Today has been weird. I got hailed on walking to yoga after the run and now the sun is trying to shine again.

• Iain LoveIain Love ✭✭✭

well it would be an understatement to say that i'm nervous... stomach is in knots and i don't know why. Im going to go for a VERY gentle run today just to try ease my nerves. will leave the garmin at home and just try relax. Got to break in my gorgeous pink knee high socks....will post a pic later..Good luck to TopSec, Jacky and SK.

• mamafoxmamafox ✭✭✭

Well done on your first park run Cal! I've never done one of those.. they don't have them over here (Thank God)

I'm glad we've got that list up - I've just had a quick look when your race is Big G and with all the London excitement I didn't realise yours is only next week! Thank goodness that niggle seems to have gone, look after yourself and easy does it over the next few days.

Thank you for your comments Shades. I'm just hoping like mad things will be ok for June - if foot starts improving I will be looking for a bit of advice on training for an untrained for marathon(!) Looking to then do a proper training plan for my Autumn race.

• mamafoxmamafox ✭✭✭

Cross post Iain - all the best for tomorrow, you will be fab.

Looking forward to that photo already image

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Well done on your first parkrun Cal. Did you enjoy it?

Iain, sorry to hear you're nervous, and I hope the run calmed the nerves a bit.

MF, yes mine is fast approaching too. This time next week it should be all over for me, as mine is on a Saturday.

I went to that Torquay Utd game I mentioned, which actually wasn't too bad. It ended 2-2 and I went with 3 others, two of who are die hard fans. A season ticket is only ??200 which is great value if you go to all (or most) games and they're trying to get me to get a ticket for next season. I can't see that happening though as I think it'd be very difficult getting to the games all the time.

Just a quick note to wish all London marathoners the best of luck. I'm really looking forward to it!!
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭

I did! And I will definitely do more. I have to keep getting faster eh?

• Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Big G-a lot of lads I know went to torquay the other week,seemed a really good club.

As said earlier, good luck to all the weekend runners and hope you enjoy yourselves.
  • Iain LoveIain Love ✭✭✭

All set and ready for tomorrow..hope the pic works

http://i1096.photobucket.com/albums/g336/Iain_Love/DSC_0138.jpg

• Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭

Go Iain!

Love the socks.

• Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    No one likes am Ian with an extra I image good luck though
  • Good luck everyone racing tomorrow!
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭

Cal - well done on your 5k pb.

Iain - lovely photo, I shall look out for those socks on the telly.   And if you get a chance to read this before the race, stay calm and stick to your race plan.

mamafox - hope you've got that aerial working so you can watch the marathon.

Big G - glad you enjoyed the match at Torquay, they have a loyal following which is what the small clubs need to survive.

No run for me today as I'm feeling a bit tired, and it's 8 days since my last rest day so will take a rest day today.   I expect I'll be worn out after watching the marathon on telly as I empathise with the runners as they tire, we've all been there.

Good luck to all running today.

• Great photo Iain! All the best for today!

I am catching up various running programmes before the London marathon coverage starts.

Mini 17 sec pb for me at park run. Hubby thinks he is my lucky mascot!

My Garmin has broken. Wondering whether to get something like a fitbit. I wonder what other people can recommend? Thankyou!
  • JugulaJugula ✭✭✭
    Good luck to all those running the London today.
  • JugulaJugula ✭✭✭
    Good luck to all those running the London today.