Sub 3h15

Comments

• Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭

Jools -I hope its not over yet see how it is tomorrow 

Bikeit - excellent cross country park running.

PMJ- sub 7 is a bit quick  pre mara !

Birch- not bad for an old git or even a youngun image

10 easy today , best of luck to all the London crew , no excuses for being too hot will be accepted with forecast 9c to 12c image

• AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭
    Very best wishes to the VLMers tomorrow - really hope you knee gets better as quickly as it started hurting Jools!
  • BadbarkBadbark ✭✭✭

All the best to all the VLM runners. I'm so jealous of you all. Run till your legs fall off!

This day last year I finished the Beckton Parkrun holding hands with former Half Marathon World Record holder, Lornah Kiplagat. image

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

Speedy - Hey, I'm glad you are there tomorrow after some really tough times recently, will do you good to just run. I do hope you enjoy it and can get back to some semblance of routine. Good luck!

Jools - Pants news! Fingers and toes crossed for ya here!

As for the rest of you, have fun and run strong and I look forward to all the post race reflections. Bon courage VLM 16 crew!  

• SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭
    Find myself in London this weekend so will spectate somewhere near tower bridge

Look strong as you come past!
  • CSMLFCCSMLFC ✭✭✭
    Good luck to Jools and all the other runners this morning. I'm excited to be watching it on the telly so God knows how you are all feeling!
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

All the best to everyone at VLM today - weather forecast looks reasonably good, except possibly for a spot of rain first thing. Jools, hope the knee is fine this morning. Hope everyone has a great day.

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

Is there no tracker on the VLM website this year? (I am such a dinosaur that I don't have a smartphone to download the app!)

• Fish52Fish52 ✭✭✭

Best of luck to all VLMers. Hope all the last minute niggles and pains are better this morning.

• PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    Joolska sorry to hear that.

Cold on Backheath. Green pen not crowded though.
  • Good luck everyone.

Joolska, sorry to hear that, what happened?

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

Oh no, (((Jools))), really sorry to hear that.
    Found the tracker now -  maybe I just checked too early!

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭
    Jools - So sorry to hear that!
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭

Really sorry, Jools . . . .

• Bike ItBike It ✭✭✭

Sorry to hear that Jools.  Sad after all your good training.  Take care.

50km this morning in 4:37.  The last bit was hard.   Twisted my ankle at 6km and though I would have to hobble home, but I ran it out.  Hopefully got away with it

That takes me to 150km for the week or 93 miles. Another 'biggest ever' week

Also I went through 1000 miles for the year with this runimage

Gul - I read there will be a tracker on the webpage, but I have been there to have a look.

• SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭
    Sorry about that Jools - that sucks image
  • AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭
    Carp news Jools - sorry to hear your fears have been confirmed after such good training. Any chance of a backup plan, or is it now looking ahead to the autumn?

Fascinating battles developing for the British Olympic places.
  • SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭
    Just saw Ali Dixon and Sonia Samuels go past coming out of the tunnel at 24miles

Look to have it sewn up
  • BadbarkBadbark ✭✭✭

I’ve just put all the supplied VLM numbers into the tracker to see how everyone did. I’m not going to reveal anyone’s results but well done to you all! Plenty of goals reached, a few just missed and a couple of painful second half detonations. I look forward to all the reports. 

Edit  - Sorry to read about your DNS Jools image

• Jools, so sorry. Edinburgh is in May?
  • PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭

3.17:00. Nothing special, but job done so not as s*** as it sounds. Good to see PMJ, OO, Lorenzo, Moof & Golden Eagle + various of their families. Hot bath awaits image

• LB70LB70 ✭✭✭
    3.18.28 for me today! I found it very tough and for some reason my legs found it really hard going. My left quad tighten up from about 6M, which then spread to my groin a few miles later and then my calves started tightening up from about 20M!!!!

I managed to stay on pace until about 17M but then gradually slowed.

Very pleased to have finished in the end and to do so without walking!!!

I hope the other thread runners had a better day!

Sorry to read about the DNS Jools - hope you heal quickly and are back on a start line soon
  • PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭

Nice one LB - be proud of that. Those last few miles are what separates endurance events from a stroll in the park. Good running.

• sscssc ✭✭✭

Brief report from me: no PB today ended in 3:25 ish but made a conscious decision to take in the atmosphere and enjoy the end of the run. Legs were grumbling from 16 and they just got worse, stopped to hug wife at 22m I was technically still at 3:15 pace but knew I had overcooked myself. Run / walk through the last few miles, stopped between 25-26 to say hi to mates wife who informed me he was a min or so behind. Sure enough he arrived and we finished together. He was running in memory of family member so v emotional end. A brilliant finish to an enjoyable day, sometimes there is more than just a PB. Maybe next time!

• Oh my word, a tough day out on the streets of London today!

All went smoothly getting there and was amazed to arrived at the Red GFA start with NO queue for the toilets. Rested and relaxed in the tent and after another toilet stop headed over to the coffee stall where I met up with OO and The Jimbob (from the sub-3 thread). A quick natter, get rid of the bags and we were off.

Having declared by intention to push the boat out and go for sub-3 I was hoping to latch onto one of the pacing groups but they all seemed to be going at different speeds so I tried to settle into a rhythm that would get me round at 6:50 pace (or 21:20 for 5K).

The first few 5Ks were OK with 21:07, 21:06, 21:31 and 21:18 getting me to halfway in 1:29:43 but it was starting to feel a bit uncomfortable at this stage and the pace started to drop. 

After a 5th 5K of 21:27 (which included the halfway point) I was then into trying to stay close to 7 min milling but with a 6th 5K of 22:06 I was already slipping back and my legs were feeling pretty tired already - not great when you've still got 12K to go.

• I kept telling myself to dig deep and as usual the crowds on the Embankment were great and acting as an inspiration. I think I was probably overtaken by a few more people than I overtook but fortunately I wasn't suffering from anything other than exhaustion as the next two 5K splits (23:17 and 24:07) showed. 

By the time I got to Westminster, sub-3:05 was also out of the window so I concentrated on aiming for my PB. Once again, the 800m, 600m 400m and 200m to go signs seemed to be way more than 200m apart and it was with relief when I finally crossed the line before starting to feel a bit wobbly.

The final score on the door - 3:06:27, a positive split of about 7 mins image BUT a shiny new PB by 26 seconds. imageimage

I dread to think how long it took me to walk to be able to pick up my bags and then have a long sit down / lie down on at the side of the Mall before heading over to Trafalgar Square to meet MrsL and younger Lorenzito and then stroll slowly over to Chandos.

Great to catch up in the pub with Poacher, OO (and family), GE and Moof - well done to all of you guys. Sorry to have missed PMJ both at the pub and out on the course.

Congrats also to ssc and LB70 - sounds as though you both finished with a smile on your faces.

Looking forward to a hearty dinner with my first glass of wine for a couple of weeks - rest day tomorrow I suspect!

Now which autumn marathon do I fancy doing?!

• Survived the run but it bloody hurt from 17 miles on. That what happens when you do no training! 3.16.18 is probably faster than my training deserved but I reckon I'll pay the price for a few days to come!

I couldn't find any of you in the pub so went upstairs to join the Fetchies then went to claim my free burger from GBK. Where were you all hiding?

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

Sorry to hear about the DNS Jools. image

Some heroic efforts from you all, well done.

Someone organised a coach from Woking to the start. Only £10 and it left at 06.45 sharp. We breezed into the start areas by around 8.15 and it meant a stress free start to the day.

Prep went well, spotted a few celebs and before I knew it we were off.
    I decided to run on feel at the start and get some time in the bank. The idea was not to be scared of being far up on time (within reason) and closely manage the second half.

All was going well, despite my left hammy/glute grumbling from mile 6 like it has all year. At 16 miles it started to moan big time. I dropped away from my mate and managed the pain. Just get to 20, re-assess, then get to The Highway and try a sh!t or bust finish.

It worked. I got over Tower Hill and decided to push on again as my body felt good and my left leg had settled, albeit still painful.
    I spotted my mate walking up ahead. He needed my help. I caught him in the Blackfriars underpass and let him know in no uncertain terms that he wouldn't ditch a PB on my watch. I ordered him to follow me and that helped give me greater focus.

Just needed to press on until I could see Big Ben and respect the incline. Once in Parliament Square I upped the gears again despite screaming legs. With 600m to go I knew I'd be OK and made sure I enjoyed the turn into the Mall and the vista that greets us with the finish gantries and clocks.

Over the line and registered a 3.11, a new PB by 2 mins. Really pleased but I know a sub-3.10 would have been on if the hammy had behaved. As you've all said before, anything can happen on the day, it's rare it goes perfectly.

Oh yeah, my mate bagged a PB a minute after me and I got on TV with Kelly Holmes! image

Well done everyone!

GD

• Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭

Jools- Very sensible decision not too run,keep the matches for another day.

Poacher-job well done image

LB-sounds a very tough day out but a great time.image

SSC- sounds like you had a great day even if no pb.

Lorenzo- a pb all the same, nice image

CC2- disgraceful you are so fast of no training image

G-dawg- nice shiny new pb.

I enjoyed it on the telly and stalked anybody who supplied a number image fair play to the ladies elite winner Sumgong who smashed her face of the road in a fall then got back up and won it , seems to be a new strategy but it works !