sub 4 hour group,if anyone wants to get together

Comments

• ShedboyShedboy ✭✭✭
    Helloo. Well strangest run ive ever had set out too fast for calf (not my legs or fitness) and quit at 14 miles only for the most wonderful physio called victoria to do som magic. I was getting cramp in injured calf. They went after a mile as she convinced me to keep running. Legs heavy though but a mile 6 something happened and i dug deeper than ever pain returned a bit. Hardest 12 miles of my life and i never knew i had it. I sprinted down mall believe it and even whipped crowd up haha. Got medal and a rather tasty 3:59:36 of which this race is the most proud i have been as i have never felt so sore or low. Feeling nothing now. Ikle sorry i didnt see you.

Dug deep swore and cried. Not a pb but i am the happiest ive ever been after a run.

Thank you all for support x
  • ShedboyShedboy ✭✭✭
    Totp

Couldnt make it up...think i might cry again haha
  • Wow Shedboy well done. It sounds like an amazing run. Give us more info when you are ready.

• That is amazing Shedboy. Sorry I don't think I saw you either but to be honest if I did I wouldn't have known. So maybe I did! Absolutely brilliant well done and well told because I really thought you had pulled out and was cursing you and my phone then read on. Well done. More deets soon please. image yay!
  • Great stuff Shedboy. Sounds like an eventful race, you should be proud.

Splits don't show these stops and injured calf really, just a a slight slow down so a race report would be good to say what happened.

Any news on Susan?
  • ShedboyShedboy ✭✭✭
    Thanks i was silly racing but somehow i did it thanks ikle and frc. More important i would love to hear how more is less susan did.
  • ShedboyShedboy ✭✭✭
    So my run. I agreed to try and take someone round sub 4(only till half way). After 2 miles i lost them .. Not used to crowds! My calf was sore the minute i started to run and i was very worried. One run in 4 weeks not good. So with that in mind i leathered it ....

Was quite happy until my knee gave way at mile 9 a wee bit of man up did the trick!!

I havent had cramp like i did at mile 11. I nearly collapsed.

The whole run i was i tears at times not from pain but from the amazing wonderful power of people and the crowd running. I am totally in awe of this. I love london and i love runners. I did some amazing things to pick folk up today whilst basically knackered but others did the same. But the crowd...OMG ... Amazing.

So at mile 14 i had lactic acid imy thighs but my calf cramped i stopped immediately causing the pink lady apple runner to fall over me. After a quick cider top up we were fine!

Then i couldnt go on. I was in tears. I walked to side to medics. Got a massage and some encouraging words and thought ok one more mile. That was a horrible mile. The it got better.

I went back to 10 mm pace and just got into it waving my arms to get crowd clapping which was unbelievable and spurred me on no end. I was a mess forma bit but had a rhythm. 23 miles came up and i was ai i g for 415 or 430 but loving it. I just thought sod it could i do sub 4 ... Probably not but im in pain if i went to 930 pace how did that feel. Phucking awful ... So lets go lower. I did about 8 for last 3 miles or something like that. How i dont know.

My lesson the body is amazing and i am very lucky. I was on bbc tonight going up the malll showboating to my work and family... Blowing kisses sprinting and even side walks. Cant believe i finished like that after how i felt.

Cant believe how wonderful London, runners and marshalls are.

Blessed!!!!!

Cheers everyone xx
  • Susan finished and post race photos suggest she is very happy but I haven't heard any race report.

• ShedboyShedboy ✭✭✭
    Very happy to hear Susan finished. on train home with a gin and tonic.
  • Shedboy trully amazinG

Susan so proud of you

Went and watched more tired than running it. My super speedy niece was 6th in london and 19th overall in mini marathon so proud. Really intresting to see how the numbers built as time went so many sub 3!!!!!!!! 

• ShedboyShedboy ✭✭✭

Proud of Susan too and thanks everyone for your support.

A gentle walk today is loosening me up.

So endurance doesnt seem to get lost as much as your general running capability - especially using cycling as cross training.  However, the heavy legs started at mile 4 simply down to lack of runs in last 5 weeks and my legs were telling me to stop.  

Even a few runs in last 3 weeks would have helped (but i wouldnt have made start line) I will never do that again but will keep learning for next time image

• Well done Sheddy! Proud of you for carrying on despite pain/cramping! Triathlon next? I hear they're fantastic for injured runners (I will never give up trying to convince you).  

Hoping Susan pops in with a race report too - I miss her encouragements!

• ShedboyShedboy ✭✭✭

JCG - i wish i could but alas not only am i allergic to speedos I swim like a drowning rat!

• ShedboyShedboy ✭✭✭
    Haha - i need the armbands and the nose plug and ear plugs too .... Actually i quite fancy a tri! Its a good sign a couple of days after london im planning a few things. Got color run with kids in 2 weeks for a pw 5k time haha, tough mudder in june. I need a summer 10k or half! Got a half in october and 10 k nov.

Still sore image
  • ShedboyShedboy ✭✭✭

JCG - ok ok ok!! I am (whisper it) going swimming this weekend.  I am keen to build upto 25 m (meters that is image) Its a long way doggy paddling you know

• ShedboyShedboy ✭✭✭

Oh and for those on this  thread that heard my tales of woe with the weather here during training in winter.  It is a full blizzard here right now - its the 28th April FFS image

• ShedboyShedboy ✭✭✭

As Ikle says Im talking to myself via this thread again image

• Just a reminder - although you probably don't need it, the ballot for VLM 2017 opens on Monday.

I am really looking for a place in 2018 but if I get in for next year that will give me options.

Just looking at Good for age places.

For men it is 3.20 for 50-59 ages, 3.45 for 60-65, sub 4 for 65-69.

I will be 60 next July. I wonder if I could go sub  3.45 before the ballot for 2018? Is Brighton a fast course or is it, how I imagine, quite hilly?

• Brighton is quite fast Imo. Shedboy you make me laugh as usual. I applied for my own job today and I got it! So pleased. image grins all round. And so knackered... Running 10k tomorrow at the Olympic park velodrome. Looking forward to doing something other than preparing for interview. Having a good old drink of Indian beer tonight I tells you!!! image
  • Ooh ooh totp go me
  • ShedboyShedboy ✭✭✭

imageimage double for you Ikle.  mmm i am out of running for 6 weeks image worth it though image bet im back in 4 - swimming tomorrow that always makes the whole gym come and watch for a laugh.  Reckon i could get it on Sky to be honest.  I am just a picture of grace and a mere majestic figure in the water

imageimageimageimage

• I went for champers instead! Good pre run fuel! image
  • Where did everybody go? See I talk to myself too, SB! Entered the ballot. Anyone else? Running 13 miles in a minute. Signed up for Wings for Life race next Sat in Cambridge. Should be fun! I'm hoping to be able to run about a half before the catcher car gets me. What fun!

Ran 47:39 at velodrome 10k in Olympic park on Saturday. Disappointed to not get under 47. But it was quite hilly so maybe it's still possible...
  • Ballot entered!

I'm here Ikle! Well done on your 10k time, Sub 47 is still possible - if you can wait until post Ironman I'll join you in the attempt image

Had my first triathlon of the year yesterday, a nice sprint at the Uni Champs. Ironman training is working, I knocked 6 minutes off my time from last year, and have a new 'triathlon 5k pb' of 23:58. Yey.

How was your swim Sheds? Sorry to hear you're out for 6 weeks.

• Well done JCG... 13.1 miles done. Knee hurt from 4 miles to 11 but then suddenly didn't! Which I'm taking as a positive. image going to keep doing resistance stuff.
  • Ok then JCG, it's a date.
  • ShedboyShedboy ✭✭✭

Ikle - wow thats some 10k time!  I have only run one official one and that was 9 years ago when i started running.  Need to get my finger out so have signed up for 2 later this year.

Acoops- I swam for 30 mins and i have sore core and shoulders - so must be good.  Better to repair calf than keep annoying it.  On bike today and some weights.  Have Tough Mudder end of June so need a wee bit more arm strength!  Calf is getting stronger by the day image

Ballot entered for me too!

Oh I am all signed up for Loch Ness Marathon in autumn now as well.