Sub 3h15

Comments

• PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭

GD - check out the tights on the lad behind you image

Gul - as I recall it is endless straight bits of disused railway track, much of it with a tiny but perceptible uphill gradient. Narrow gravel path with puddles if wet. Then near the end you lose a vast amount of height down knee-smashing inclines left over from the industrial revolution. So rather an odd course. Archive shows I did 3.12 last time, 3 wks after a 3.02 in London, but wasn't really going for it; so it's neither a slow nor a lightning fast course. Your plan sounds about right but I think wind/weather/heat on the day will be key.

PMJ that backs up a rough number-crunch I did a few yrs back - looked at 1/2 way split of all VLM finishers who did 2.59:00 - 2.59:59. Concluded that the statistically popular way to go sub3 is to hit half in 1.27.30 - 1.28.30, i.e. neg & even splits are fantasy land for most ordinary runners.

• PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭

This suddenly looks a bit thin...

2nd May – Belfast Marathon – Badbark - I just want to finish since it will be only 5 weeks after a 6 week lay off.  
    21st May - White Peak - Gul Darr - 320 - 3.30
    21st May - White Peak - Poacher - stay honest.
    29th May - Comrades - BI - sub-9

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Just had a look at the stats. Each 10k has the same speed for me (14.1 kmh) except the last which is 14. Passed 256 runners in the last 7.2 and 42 passed me. 5% of V50's ahead of me. In most races distances it usually 1-2 %, which shows marathon is not my best distance.

Agree your negative split analysis PMJ.

I chatted to a 51 year old from Sheffield at the finish who set a new PB of 2:45. There are some incredible old guys out there. 

• Gul, I got confused and wondered why you would be doing 200m reps with a marathon coming up, but the upcoming race you have is for GEAR 10k.

What pace plans have you got, and strategy for the hilly section from 3 to 4k?

https://www.grandeastangliarun.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/10KCourseProfile.jpg

• AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

Well, another great thread day out at London! In terms of a summary, I can't really do better than VTR's above, so won't bother trying! Suffice to say a huge congratulations to everyone who got out there and gave it a go, some of you got what you wanted (and more), others missed out for whatever reason, but all seem to have enjoyed the day. Have to say, tracking you all online while watching the coverage has given me a bit of a marathon itch... I wasn't sure that would happen again, so I'm considering my spring options for next year. Not much chance of getting into London through the ballot (got lucky last time) and I'm not a GFA runner like most of you good folks, so considering Brighton. I know some of you have run there before; what's the verdict on course, organisation, etc?

Jools - glad your knee issue is nothing too serious and you'll be back to it soon.

• SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭
    How are the Tuesday legs folks?
  • Bike ItBike It ✭✭✭

Abbers - not thinking of running Manchester marathon?

I ran Brighton twice.  The course is OK.  There is a long but shallow climb between mile 7 and mile 9 from memory, but then descent in mile 10 to 12.   The course is pretty straight and there are a few turnarounds.   Plus you get run by the Brighton Pavilion and a Power Station. The risk is a strong sea breeze.  Transport from the finish is bad.  The crowd support is very good.

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

Abbers: Brighton is very good, did it for last 2 years. Well organised, some complain about the paper cups but I found it OK last year. The year before they had pouches which were difficult to get on with great crowds and a decent course, including the road to hell at 21 miles.

The park and ride system works very smoothly. A good mara to go for.

Legs are still sore today. I have pains in places that show where I can look to strengthen for next time (lower back etc...)
    I'll now have an easy month, get back on the bike and then devise some sort of training plan for Berlin in September where I'll make a sub-3.10 tilt on what is apparently a flat course.

GD

X-post - looks like the transport issue has been sorted going by my experience?

• I have heard the Loch Ness marathon is lovely if small, friendly and beautiful appeals. I imagine little in the way of crowd support for most of the route though
  • VTrunnerVTrunner ✭✭✭

Gdawg, I too noticed the wicked tights on the guy behind you! Good call Poacher.

Regarding the negative/even split. It may not be what most folks do but in my limited experience it is an excellent way to race a marathon. While you may leave some in the tank (but that can be debatable depending how close you get to even), the feel and emotion of hitting your stride strongly down the stretch is a beautiful thing. While I passed loads of people in Boston in the last 6-8 miles on my way to a 2 minute positive split, I was definitely shredded and hanging on. The feeling of just flying (under control but at the edge of what my legs could support) in my other 2 marathons where I did negatives (by 2 minutes and then 40 seconds) was pure sweetness.image But alas you never know what the day will bring. I always have much respect for people willing to push really hard early and just hang it out there though. I'm probably too conservative!

• BadbarkBadbark ✭✭✭

2nd May – Belfast Marathon – Badbark - Sub 3 

29th May – Newry Marathon – Badbark – Sub 3

11th June – Portumna 100k Ultra – Badbark – Sub 9 hours as my ‘A’ goal. Finish with any time as my ‘B’ Goal - (My only DNF 2 years ago after 85k)

25th June – Victoria Park Belfast, 12 hour race – Badbark – Run till I drop

• VTrunnerVTrunner ✭✭✭

Ah, I think you may have to go with the Madbark alias for the 12 hr race (well could do for the ultras too!).

I predict VLMers are doing their walking dead impersonations right about now. Remember, it's ok to use the elevator (lift) today!

• AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

BI & GD - thanks for your feedback on the Brighton mara. I'm tempted; one of the personal trainers at the gym ran it this year (he's an iron man distance triathlete, so just did it as a training run!) and was full of praise for the course, crowds and organisation. Not keen on Manchester BI after the disaster stories this year, added to which Brighton is significantly closer geographically, and perhaps most importantly, Mrs A and the Ms As want to visit Brighton, and aren't so keen on Manchester!

NM - Loch Ness has always appealed. The location and family logistics make it tricky though.

Hope the post-VLM recovery is going well for those affected!

• SlokeyJoe wrote (see)

Had a 5k handicap at lunchtime: 30 minutes instead of the usual 20 minutes, but all seems to be working.

• Just found the toy you are all using that sets out the overtaking stats. I passed 721 and was passed by 0. Next time I need to put my foot down earlier.
  • PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭

Tuesday legs are pretty good.  But having driven today through horizontal sleet in Leicestershire. and now looking out at snow in Derbyshire, I'd say we were very lucky indeed with the weather last Sunday.

NM - to be passed by 0 over 7.2k is exceptional.  Can I slipstream behind you next year?

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

2nd May – Belfast Marathon – Badbark - Sub 3 

29th May – Newry Marathon – Badbark – Sub 3

11th June – Portumna 100k Ultra – Badbark – Sub 9 hours as my ‘A’ goal. Finish with any time as my ‘B’ Goal - (My only DNF 2 years ago after 85k)

25th June – Victoria Park Belfast, 12 hour race – Badbark – Run till I drop

25th September– Berlin Marathon - G-Dawg - Sub-3.10...why not!?

I also found the overtaking gadget. I overtook 386 and was overtaken by 21. That's not bad with one leg hanging off! #DramaQueen

GD

• SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭
    Good effort PMJ!

GD - you'll love Berlin. Great course and so flat!

Nice targets BB image
  • MsEMsE ✭✭✭

I'll see you in Berlin, GD! 

• sscssc ✭✭✭
    PhilipMJones wrote (see)
    SlokeyJoe wrote (see)

Had a 5k handicap at lunchtime: 30 minutes instead of the usual 20 minutes, but all seems to be working.

Maybe it's just me but i swear someone has been hitting my legs with a baseball bat sometime during the night. . . . image.  Nevermind a 5k, would genuinely struggle with 50m.

Had time to reflect, still pleased that I finished the race making the most of the day rather than killing myself for a time just behind my PB.  However, keen to see what people do regarding getting the body use to the nutrition and/or hydration of running the race.  Didn't think I was too bad regarding this but at the last lucozade drink stop I had the whole bottle without really trying suggesting I was thirsty/low of energy or both. Aimed to have gels every 40 mins which I pretty much did and i drank to thirst which didn't seem too bad.

• PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭

Berlin image. Top city. Fast course. Less dinero/jetlag than Chicago/Boston/NYC. Nothing that's not to like. Berlin has been the home of WRs for a while, the fact that it so nearly fell in London could/should motivate Berlin organisers to pull out even more stops in future.

SSC anyone who can neck a whole bottle of LZ that far into the race may indeed be dehydrated. To do so without throwing up is good going.

• MsEMsE ✭✭✭

Just had a quick read back.  What a lot of gutsy performances from you all.  Really well done to those who hung on for really respectable times and those who braved the day despite sub-optimal training.  I have so much respect for you who can manage that as my body wouldn't cooperate without the requisite coaxing.  

Delighted for Lorenzo with a PB at the ripe old age of 4X!  image  Gives hope to us all that PBs can still come.   You too, Moof.  You've come a long way since the man who sat on the loo looking at his belly and thinking something has got to change. 

Sorry to hear about the DNS, Jools.  I have had two of those recently but not as late as the day before the race!  You will be so fit without any of the battering though.  

Speedy - you are a champ.  You really are.  That you got out and did that race after your difficult year. And without a cat to keep you company.  Sending you a big hug.

Well done all. There are too many of you to mention you all now.  And I am a sort of absentee thread member too so not familiar with some. image Some really strong performances.  Keep on keeping on!

• Here's 2 of my favourite quotes

Bike It wrote (see)

Good running.  Good Stories. Good results.  GFAs secured all round which I think is one of the measures of a good performance.

Particularly it is good to see people being a bit ambitious and going for a stretched target and then holding it together when it couldn't quite be done.

Turmeric and Naproxyn for breakfast here - trying to get the swelling on my ankle down.

NEIL MALONEY 3 wrote (see)
    Just found the toy you are all using that sets out the overtaking stats. I passed 721 and was passed by 0. Next time I need to put my foot down earlier.

Yeah.
    That's why I've come back to haunt you. Especially Mr Grumpy. PMJ You know who you were. I love the magical transformation.
    Have mara FUN.

• I'm not sour, sorry if that came across that way. Well done PMJ 3:07 is a fantastic time. One I'd dearly love to swap with you from my last attempt at the distance. (5:40 if I recall, but claiming mitigating circumstances).

• moofmoof ✭✭✭

Loved reading all the reports, it doesn't seem to matter if you had a good or bad run, those last 5 miles are soooo tough, I swear at the time never again as I feel I'm just in survival mode.

My legs are totally battered today and I screamed like a baby when I got off the bog this morningimage. MsE your memory is too good!image

I overtook 211, tbh I thought it would be more and disappointingly was overtaken by 16.

Just a gentle hours spin on the bike this evening, avoiding anything remotely hilly and I'll go for a little swim in the morning, I might take my arm bands. image

• LB70LB70 ✭✭✭

Congratulations to everyone who ran on Sunday - I've really enjoyed reading the race reports!

In terms of my last 7.2K, I passed 81 but was passed by 510!!! Must admit to be surprised to have passed so many! It really is horrible when you're being overtaken by a constant stream of runners and you can't do anything about it!

I tried to enter Abingdon last night, but it's now full so must've just missed out! Have emailed them instead to get on the waiting list, so hopefully some places will become available

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

NM3 - thanks for the advice - it's a local 10k this Sunday though; White Peak is on 21st May! The 400m reps were around 5k-10k pace.
    OO - at least!
    Poacher - sounds like a bit of a rollercoaster! As you say, I think the weather will be key.
    PMJ - don't worry, I've had lots of practice on that scary ascentimage Actually that 4th km is the worst if it's a windy day as it's totally exposed along the river. Nice recovery run.
    Badbark - nice to see you're easing back into it gently!
    MsE - how's the prep for Berlin going?
    Interesting stats on passing/being passed. I hate to think how many passed me on the 2nd half in 2010!
    LB70 - hope you can get a place via the waiting list.

• Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭

SSC- normal post mara  race pain then image

Moof-being nearer the pointy end you were much more likely to be overtaken .image

Gul- full 2 metre assent, that will be tough lol image

LB- we have all been there going backwards in a race.

5m with a little added sleet this morn.

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    My legs feel a lot better today but still haven't run, not sure I will do before parkrun and the Keswick half this weekend. I seemed to take fewer gels and drinks this year pmj, I tend to just judge it on how I feel.

You deserve sore legs moof, serves you right for running so fast !
  • SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭
    Ouchy.

Moof, what's your plan for recovery vs training for Outlaw? It's a hard balance I think to build volume and avoid any injuries. Don't break yourself!