Paris Marathon 2017

Comments

• PatrickNSF wrote (see)

Thanks for the info. Do you know approximately how much the price goes up in September. I'm 50/50 on doing Paris at the moment, so I may just bite the bullet now if it's a decent discount.

Patrick I paid 120 euros last year-after the London ballot was out and I seem to remember that was the top price.

• Thank-you for the video Orbutt. Great stuff! I believe that is me running through the shower with my arms outstretched. Also pictures of me at the Arc with the group on race day morning and in Pasta Papas on Saturday evening. Plus the finish line stuff. Think that we should get involved and become official race photographers when we're not running!

Kenno - I agree that it was difficult spectating in London. Shortly after the 4 hour runners passed by it just became a wall of noise and colours that gave me a banging headache. Finished my day spectating shortly after the 4:45 pace groups had passed through Westminster. Was a bit cold when the sun went in too, or if you got the wind off the river. Perfect weather for running, but I was hoping for weather closer to what we had in Paris to just watch the race in.

Will check in again later this week to catch up.

Well done to anyone who ran London.
  • KennyMKennyM ✭✭✭

Orbutt - thanks.  Superb work.  Good to put some faces to the names.  Interesting mix of elation and disgust!

• KennyMKennyM ✭✭✭

PatrickNSF - right beside the start/finish tends to be quite an expensive area unless you find a good deal or book well in advance.  

My top tip for any marathon accomodation is (assuming you're looking for a hotel) to immediately book on a rate that allows you to cancel.  Then once you are sure you're taking part you can look for good deals but still have the certainty of your original reservation should rooms sell out or prices increase with demand.

We stayed at the Novotel at Chatelet Les Halles and it was perfect for us.  Direct metro to the start and very central for exploring Paris. We managed to book it at a great rate during one of their sale periods but often these deals require pre-payment.

• If anyone is looking for a studio apartment, near Opera - easy metro to the start, we have stayed here three times, it's wonderful

it's on AirbnB  No. 2258350

Opera Vendome Capucines1

Not sure I'll be in for 2017, although watching the video - superb once again Mr Orbutt, I'm very tempted.  We'll see

Well done all you that ran London - stonking times out there. 

• Thanks for all information about the the price increase and when the race is typically sold out. I assumed the price increase would be greater, but now think it makes sense to wait it out and see if my August race qualifies me for Boston.

I'm also tempted to throw my name in the hat for London even though the dates don't work for us since the odds of getting in are so low image

Now to research hotels...

• My VLM was a complete flop and my legs will never ever forgive me but never mind, can't win them all! Mr HIAHS did another PB though so soon after Paris and is now become completely and utterly unbearable to live with! image

• yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

Oh just kill him

• OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭
    Woo Hoo, Yer Maj is firing on all cylinders. I've missed the threats of maiming and justifiable violence image
  • Probably should have done it weeks ago Yer Maj!

• EHNEHN ✭✭✭

Orbutt thanks so much the finishers video -it is once again amazing and inspiring-thank you for all the time and effort you put in collating it all

• yer majyer maj ✭✭✭
    Orbutt wrote (see)
    Woo Hoo, Yer Maj is firing on all cylinders. I've missed the threats of maiming and justifiable violence image

I don't know *what* you mean....

• Orbutt, thanks a million for the video; goodness knows how much time this must take you, but it's really inspirational image  Only snag is you have to remember to look half passable as you cross the line image

• Orbutt - what EHN said. Thank you, that's amazing.

• LoubellaLoubella ✭✭✭

That video is awesome Orbutt thank you so much, I'm laughing at myself trying to pretend I'm not dying with my arms in the air & then having a facial meltdown as soon as I've crossed the line!

• baldstanbaldstan ✭✭✭

Thank you Orbutt. That must have taken so long. Really appreciate all the time you put into it, it's really inspiring. (And a big relief to see I was just about running at the end!)

And congratulations to everyone who ran London. Let's hope it's a bit cooler in Paris next April.

• yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

It won't be.  I'm running.  I appear to have my own personal heatwave that strikes for one day only, whenever I race...

• image Well, I'm looking forward to Sunday's race, then...

• baldstanbaldstan ✭✭✭

Tell me if you've got any winter races planned. I'll come along.

• Orbutt you deserve a medal. Video is superb thank you so much. 

• Richard  2Richard 2 ✭✭✭

it's worth everybody keeping an eye on things, if the brexit camp have their way you may well need a visa to travel to france by then, the head of vote leave thinks we will

• Pistol101Pistol101 ✭✭✭
    Richard 2 wrote (see)

it's worth everybody keeping an eye on things, if the brexit camp have their way you may well need a visa to travel to france by then, the head of vote leave thinks we will

There's a two year notice period if we vote to leave, so nothing will change for at least two years. 

• KennyMKennyM ✭✭✭

Hopefully this can stay a running forum for a while longer... although I had similar concerns when chasing London GFA that had Scotland voted to leave I would then be ineligible as a foreigner!

• Richard  2Richard 2 ✭✭✭

up to 2 year period depending on what is agreed by all parties, so it all needs to be done within 2 years (unless all parties extend it)

but yes, I'm sure it'll all be fine, sorry for bringing it up

• Thanks Orbutt that must have took some time to put together it was good to see myself finishing and everybody else. Thanks.

Done my first proper run since Paris on Sunday doing the Stratford half in 1:42:04 which was only 2 seconds off my PB so I am quite pleased with that. Will be trying to go under 1:40 in the future if I can.

Well done to everyone who took part in the London Marathon, will be trying to get in for next year!

• Those of you who are talking about meeting up at the 10K in London on Whitsun Bank Holiday at the end of May. What is the course/route that this run is on please? Is it the same course as the Vitality 10K in July?

Trying to decide if I should enter the race at the end of May

Well done Chris Field on your recent Half time.
  • Andy-W-Andy-W- ✭✭✭
    That video is just awesome Orbutt, thank you so much
  • Smudgerncfc - no, the routes are different. The May one is what used to be the BUPA 10k which starts and finishes in St James's Park. The July one appears to be what used to be known as the British 10k, which I think also finishes in that area but starts somewhere in Picadilly. Not sure where they go in between. In previous years the BUPA one has been significantly better organised, especially if you're going for a time.

• Please may I have some advice.

Prior to Paris the furthest I had run was 10 miles. I did Hal higdon novice 1 for Paris and slogged around on the day in 5hr24. My time wasn't great but I loved the running/ training. I have signed up again for next year. 

My question to you all is, what do I need to do to become a better runner? I read about interval training but I dont know where to start. I run 3 times a week and I do a couple of gym classes, circuits and core stability.

I am doing the Le Touquet half in August and great south in October.

it would be great to hear your thoughts. thanks so much. 

• Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

Julie-Marie - I found that I made a huge jump between my first and second marathon, and it's something I've noticed many others do too without radically altering their training. I went from a 5:15 marathon to 4:16 marathon ten months later. I think partly it's having built up your running fitness and partly you start to remove some of the mental blocks over the longer distances in training.

There are a million different opinions on what will improve your time. I've done a fair few marathons off four runs a week and seem big improvements with that. I've personally found I run the marathon better with lots of long training runs in my legs. I aim to do 3 x 20, 1 x 21 and 1 x 22 mile runs during my 18 week training cycle. I also find in addition to that long run regular fast 9/10 mile midweek runs really help build up the speed and endurance.

I don't follow a formal training plan. I've built one up myself over the years. For me higher mileage and doing all but my LSR as fast as I can, seems to get me at my best. I think training, what your body can handle and what you can fit around your life is a big learning process.

The one disappointing thing I learned is you can't out-train a bad diet. The lighter you are the faster you run. I've pretty much dropped all sweets, crisps, biscuits, soft drinks from my diet while training. I'm just about to enter the taper for Copenhagen. This year my entire intake of the above has been a Tunnocks Caramel Waffer as a reward for PBing a Parkrun, and a couple of cakes after a Parkrun in January. Maybe avoid parkruns as they seem to be sources of cake!