Paris Marathon 2017

Comments

• today is the last day to sign up for the London 10,000 on Whitsun bank holiday. It's a good route, well organised by London Marathon. Start and finish on the Mall

https://www.vitalitylondon10000.co.uk/

there's a big group of us running and we will have a little gathering in Green Park after with beers and food and beers ..... put some cold tinnies in your kit bag. I checked a crate of cold carlsbergs into bag drop last year ..... I've a mini keg of Bitburger for bag drop this year!

• Eggyh73 - thank you

I really enjoy hearing what works for other people. You definitely hit the nail on the hwad with the diet. Whilst I 'think' I have a reasonably healthy diet, I know it needs cleaning up. I hope by taking running more seriously it will help me do just that. Love a tunnocks teacake I do image 

you mentioned running fitness, how does this improve? does it come with time?

• Julie-Marie - I think it partly does come with time, yes. There are big changes in your heart, lungs, connective tissues and muscle mass that take place with endurance sports and that stuff doesn't happen quickly. In addition, your running efficiency probably improves over time, as well as your tolerance for discomfort and belief in your own ability. You gain lots of self-knowledge about what works for your body, your running and your lifestyle - which is different for all of us.

However, there is a lot that you can do besides to really actively improve your running. I'll leave others to comment on that since I'm not a massive improver and some people on here have made massive leaps forward  (like Eggy). I've no idea how they do it but I'm jealous.

• Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

Julie-Marie - I know what you mean. My diet was/is fairly healthy. In truth the only adjustment I made was to cut out snacking. Living by myself that's easy for me, as I know if I don't buy that stuff when doing my shopping I won't go get it. Also when not training for something specific now I also find I eat far less of that sort of thing, as I found I was eating stuff like that more through habit than anything else.

Training in a way that works for you is difficult to work out. Compared to the like of The Jimbob or HiaHS my training no doubt is very light and badly structured. The key is to find a schedule that gets you fit, avoids injuries and that works with your life and how much time/effort you want to dedicate to running.

• Orbutt - Love, Love, Love the Finisher's video!!! So amazing and inspiring! Definitely gonna aim for a victory finish in future rather than the death mask pain face I was working this timeimage

• baldstanbaldstan ✭✭✭

Hi Julie-Marie. I'm another marathon novice. Before entering this year's Paris the longest I'd run was one half marathon and I only managed one 20 mile run in training before the race itself. Most weeks I also just fit in three runs and try to get a couple of swims in between. So I can only speak from very limited experience of the best advice I've been given, a lot of it from this forum. 

For running three days a week I found the FIRST (Furman Institute of Running) training program was much easier to try and follow (not very successfully in my case) than Hal Higdon. If you search for it there's also half marathon program which is a bit lighter on the long runs than the marathon program, but still suggests lots of intervals and tempo runs, so each session is different. I also learnt from painful experience not to try doing a fast interval session in new shoes with less heel drop than the ones I was used to.

I've also found I was getting sore knees doing most of my runs on roads and tarmac paths, so I now try to run as much as possible on tracks and grass (but I did have to get a pair of semi-trail shoes to stop me slipping over in the mud, even in the local park).

And I also saw a physio at the start, who gave me a set of stretches to help with my poor posture and persistent injury problems. He advised me to try to look about 20 to 30 metres ahead, when it's safe, to help me keep my back more upright, and also, as lots of books say, not to increase my mileage by more than 10% a week, and to have an easy week every fourth week. 

Hope that's useful. I'm hoping that I can follow Eggyh73 and make a big step up from my first to second marathon. (Although I don't think I could cut out the tea cakes completely).

• Have just registered for the Vitality 10K in London on May 30th.

Thank you Jimbob, and also RR (for the history lesson - I have found an online map of what I believe to be the course by searching under Bupa 10K).

Hope to see you and others there.  A good idea for a few tinnies on the park post race, before hitting the pubs for food and more beer too! image

• Hi All,

New full marathon announced in Birmingham for October 2017 first one in Brum for thirty years will defo be doing my hometown marathon!!

• I have no real advice on training, like Eggy said it's such an individual thing. Massive leaps certainly can be made between the first and second marathon, I think the main reason being is that by the second marathon you've made massive improvements on your base fitness just by running consistently for a year. There's nothing better than hitting the start of your marathon plan already fit and healthy, something that can't be said for most first marathon attempts!

• Hello all!

Good luck to the racers this weekend, especially Nodster in Nashville and Running Rodent and Yer Maj in Brecon - how's the heatwave getting on?

Hackney Half coming up soon: Tired Old Legs, Nells, Your pace or mine, UrbaneFoxLondon - shall we meet before and after? Would be great to see you all image

Eggy, don't tell me that diet counts for a lot image I think I eat pretty well but I do looooove cheese and I did come back yesterday with four Krispy Kreme doughnuts. image Two of them are brownie batter and two are Speculoos...

• Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

I love cheese too. I've been eating well, but healthy so far this year.

Actually Krispy Kreme is on my post Tromso splurge list. Not only has that opened up not far from me recently, but now Dominos have opened up just down the road from me as well. I swear the fast food joints are just trolling me!

• DiRTY KRISPY KREME!
  • NellsNells ✭✭✭

I've somehow managed to convince myself that Krispy Kreme haven't in fact arrived in this country. It's bad enough that it's acceptable to buy Lindt chocolate all year round instead of just for Christmas. When I was visiting a friend in the States last year, I was buying a massive box of donuts more or less every day. They are EVIL I tell you!

YES for HACKNEY meet up. It's a right schlep for me to get there, but will try not to be late this time round. I'll be dead slow, so if you've got somewhere to get to afterwards, don't worry about hanging around waiting for me, though it would be lovely to see you all. Jimbob - you're in for this one too aren't you? I think I got to shout at you last year as you flew past speedily in the other direction whilst I was already wilting in the heat. Wonder if the weather will do a massive about turn to give us the traditional boiling hot slog around the Olympic Park again?

• NellsNells ✭✭✭

Just reading the race info thing - they're obviously expecting a hot one, SEVEN water stations starting at 1.5 miles!

How about outside the 'Massage Tent' for a pre race meet-up? (http://runhackney.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/HACK_SiteMap_2016_8-FINAL.pdf) I'll probably be in my Green 'Where the Foch' top...

• Nells ..... i'm not in Hackney this year .... did the last 2 and I need to get recovered from all my recent marathons.
  • NellsNells ✭✭✭
    Ah, boo! Will have to wait till to see you at Green Park then!
  • Just popping in to defend the case for cheese - full of a great range of microbes and an essential part of a healthy 'Mediterranean diet', especially if its made from raw milk and not over processed. Let's hear it for the Roquefort!

• Bandito27Bandito27 ✭✭✭

Better late than never - Great Vid Orbutt really enjoyed it image.

Getting read for the Milton Keynes Marathon on Monday by doing a parkrun today in the sunshine image alongside the beach at Pegwell Bay.  

Kenno - are you running the MK on Monday? I think you and I are trying to put our Paris nightmares behind us  image

• yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

Mmmmm cheese....

I am in Total and Utter Denial about this ultra.  I am dealing with this by making a carb loading chocolate tart.

• good luck Bandito, Kenno and her majesty Yermaj x

dbs!

• Looks like you're going to get great running weather on Monday Bandito. Good luck. I'm having to wait until October before having another bash at a Marathon and it will be September before I'm likely to have a serious go at improving my PB on a Half.
  • Bandito27Bandito27 ✭✭✭

Thanks for the good luck wishes Jimbob and Smudger. There is a possibility of heavy rain so may have to take my rubber ring and arm bands image.

Smudger - sorry didn't make it to VLM to watch. Mrs Bandito had other ideas for the day but did watch it on the TV.  Having done the last 2 I did feel a little envious of everyone running.. Great times by those on who did it on this forum.

• Don't forget to tape up lads (if it's raining at MK)

Respec due to Nodster for completing Nashville marathon this arvo .....
  • Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭
    Good luck to the MK runners and crazy ultra peeps!

Final 20 mile LSR for Copenhagen done and dusted. Bring on the taper. image
  • kennokenno ✭✭✭
    Bandito- yes I'm running in MK. Not feeling like I'm going to do anything special, but will give it a go. Better to go down in a blaze of glory than not give it a go I think!
  • Best of luck to all those running today. May the freaky sleet storms hold off for you.

• The JimbobThe Jimbob ✭✭✭
    Great job Yermaj on yesterday's ultra x x .....I love that you learned yesterday that ultras are stupid. Marathons ain't exactly clever either.
  • TBO2TBO2 ✭✭✭

Hi all, its TheBigOne but ive shortened it to TBO2 (TBO already taken) as i had it pointed out to me several times im not big (it was the race not me!).

Im just catching up, horribly late to the party-an update:

I did do VLM and finished in 5:49, over 30 mins faster than Paris! The coolness of the day really worked for me so im now looking at marathons in the arctic circle. Seriously i may look at something for Autumn but no plans to do Paris at the mo.

Sorry imissed you all at VLM, it sounds like you had a good experience and great time Jimbob!

Orbutt, the video made me cry, i had such a good time with all of you. Ill keep a watching eye on the thread if thats okay, nice to know you are out there.