how can i bring my 5k time down to regularly below 23 minutes

I do the parkrun every week here  are my results: http://www.parkrun.org.uk/wolverhampton/results/athletehistory/?athleteNumber=1187239

I am hovering around 23-24 minutes, what can I do to get into the 22-23 minutes times?

I used to be constrained by stitch but I dont get that anymore so I am not sure what exactly is holding me back.

Comments

• StylishStylish ✭✭✭

Very consistent times but cant advise unless we know what training you're currently doing. Give us an example of your typical week training wise.

• skottyskotty ✭✭✭
    Stylish wrote (see)

Give us an example of your typical week training wise.

parkrun every week?

• Richard  2Richard 2 ✭✭✭

Run often, and push yourself on each

i'd try one run a week and incorporate some sprints

light 5 min warm up, the 6 or 8 reps of 30 secs to a minute sprinting, with maybe 2 minutes in between, with 5 minutes warm down - only you can tell how long and how often you feel you can take

and then one run a week have as your long run, try and build up to run for an hour, much slower than 5 k pace but try and increase the pace once you are comfortable running for an hour.

don't expect too much too quickly, give yourself a 12 week period to see sustained improvement.

there are probably more detailed plans on the interweb that would be better, or join your local athletics club would be excellent way

• john2443john2443 ✭✭✭

I found that doing 5 x 1k reps at faster than target pace was effective, so you'd need to aim for sub 4:30 for a k.

Also any sort of distance reps at a faster pace.

Oddly, your pb is exactly the same as mine!

• philw44philw44 ✭✭✭
    I'd ditch doing a flat-out parkrun every week and do race pace every 3 weeks instead. The rest of the times just treat it as an easy run, doing it in say 29 minutes or so and enjoy the scenary.

Trying to hit your 100% pace every week is exhausting. Your best bet for improvement would be to build up your mileage of easy runs during the 3 weeks, throwing in the odd comfortably difficult one. Then at the end of the 3 weeks you can test yourself at the Park run and hopefully the extra conditioning should have made a difference.
  • senidMsenidM ✭✭✭
    You do like a parkrun! I run them occasionally, but never time them or care what time it says if I look at the emails.

I care more about races (or used to) and a 10K time is, perhaps, more representative of your running ability. If you trained for and ran a few of those, aiming to get under 45Min you might find your parkrun times get where you want them to be.
  • Chris2304Chris2304 ✭✭✭

I'd suggest three things:

1. Add some slower, but longer runs to build up your aerobic base. 10k in one-hour type runs, maybe even a little slower.

2. Add some interval training. run 1k fast, take two or three mins rest, then repeat three or four times.

3. Don't try and PB in the Parkrun every week. That will destroy either your body, your motivation, or both. Maybe try for a PB once a month.