How fast can you run a mile?

We clock up the miles but rarely do we race the iconic distance of a single mile.  In tribute to the anniversary of Bannister's first sub 4 minute mile, I'm challenging runners to tackle the iconic distance over the summer.

To find out more (and to sign up for free) check out #RunYourMile: https://runningdanw.wordpress.com/2016/05/03/runyourmile/

Comments

• 62nd is hardly an iconic anniversary....

How did your 60th bash go ? 

• I know, my marathon training got in the way of carrying it on last year.

The 60th was awesome with 69 miles being run around the world including Japan, Canada and Australia as well as the US and Europe.

Also had some team relay efforts, solo runs and group runs but not quite a sub 4! Here's what happened:

Did You Run Your Mile? - http://wp.me/p1B0uE-lt
  • H0NKH0NK ✭✭✭

I can run a mile in 3 1/2 minutes.

(I know a shortcut)

• HA77HA77 ✭✭✭

I like the idea of seeing how fast I can run a mile but it's so painful. Used to do middle distance at school but I think I'm too soft for it now and not really prepared to hurt myself. I'd rather do a 10 mile threshold run.

We'll see. Might yet give it a go.

• Go on, you know you're tempted!

10 mile threshold! Blimey - that sounds LONG!!!
  • My running club has two mile events each year, one on the track in the autumn, the other on the local common in the summer. It's a brilliant thing to do but because, as you say, it doesn't seem to be run that much these days it's a difficult distance to pace yourself for. On the track it's a little easier (because it's just over four laps), but it's a very very mental race: the third lap seems the most difficult to me, usually because you've gone off a bit too fast and your body is saying slow down, but there's still another lap to go once you've finished that one and it seems to stretch out forever. We're probably all used to running miles at a certain pace for 5ks or 10ks or halves or marathons, but not at all for the relative sprint of the mile. My best is 5.59 (I was 49), in case you wanted to know, but it hurt. A lot.

• KattefjaesKattefjaes ✭✭✭

Dave The Iron Ex- Spartan wrote (see)

62nd is hardly an iconic anniversary....

How can an anniversary be iconic, anyway?

• DustinDustin ✭✭✭

We hold a mile race every year at out club champs.
    There were two mile races at Portsmouth on Monday, and the Westminster mile series are later this month.
    It's like running a 1500m but just a bit further!!

• I did a mile last summer, or maybe the summer before. I enjoy an occasional dip in the middle distance pool, but there aren't many mile events around.
  • My club does a mile race in the summer. My time was affected last year by two factors 1) it was the (one) really hot day we had last year 2) My shoe lace came undone 400m in! 

I'm pretty confident I can beat my time this year!

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

I race a mile every summer. Last summers effort was on the same track bannister did his in Oxford.

• NorthEnderNorthEnder ✭✭✭

I did my first ever mile race about 10 days ago. I really loved the feel of it and wish there were more opportunities to work on it.

• Chris2304Chris2304 ✭✭✭

I think there is a generational issue here. I was raised on metres, and km rather than yards and miles. So whilst I respect Roger Bannister's achievement, on an emotional level I am more interested in how fast I can run 1K, 5K or 10k.

The marathon is an exception, because - frankly - it makes no sense in either KM or miles!

• VDOT52VDOT52 ✭✭✭
    I did 2 different mile events last year. One was in a park as part off the magic mile 'thing' which was neither a flat nor fast course and the other was on a lovely track. The track time was 10 seconds faster than the park course and they both hurt. The great thing was I enjoyed the pain and was faster than I though which spurred me on to running harder in my 5k and 10k races and setting new pbs. Even better was my 5k PB was bang in line with the prediction from my mile time and that was very satisfying.

I think the mile is a great race. Not sure why 62 is an important number though. 73 is much more common as a 'big' numberimage