Options

Lower Quad pain 'next' to th knee

Recently I've been getting slight pain at the very bottom of my left quad muscle, when I say very low I mean the part that's almost next to the kneecap.

I feel it's important to point that out as when I've looked online a lot of sites seem to suggest quadriceps tendonitis however they all state the pain would be above the kneecap - this is definitely at the side on the inside. 

It isn't massive pain and seem to come and go whether I'm resting, walking, sitting etc however the pain certainly does not appear to feel worse during or after a run.

If I can work out how to upload a picture I'll show you guys exactly where the pain is...

Comments

• Options

Could possibly be ITBS. Currently recovering from that myself, though it does tend to get worse during and after running.

• Options
    Rob Jones 2Rob Jones 2 ✭✭✭

Agree. Sound very much like ITB syndrome to me. I speak from bitter experience!

• Options
    Tom13Tom13 ✭✭✭

Sounds like ITB syndrome to me also. Another fellow suferer-had to stop running for a month to get it properly sorted. Get to a decent physio if you can for a proper diagnosis. Rest is best at this stage......

• Options

Yes, if the pain is on the outside of the knee, ITB syndrome is the likely cause.

The best way to deal with it is to strengthen your hip abductor muscles such as gluteus medius as these muscles will help to absorb the shock of landing during running and maintain the position of the kneecap in the patella groove. If these muscles don't fire properly, the IT band has to take the strain which is when it becomes tight and pulls the kneecap out to the side.

You can treat your tight IT band and vastus lateralis muscles either by seeing a sports massage therapist or by using a foam roller.

If the pain is on the inside of the knee I would suggest your adductor muscles are the likely culprit, in particular the long gracilis muscle, so stretching these would help.

Lastly, if you think the pain came on suddenly, it may be a tear of the meniscus which are wedge shaped pads which cushion the bones of your thigh and shin, in which case you would need to see a doctor.

• Options
    HA77HA77 ✭✭✭

Tom knows his stuff. Don't trust forums for a diagnosis. Rest and see a good physio who can assess you properly.