My Last Run

Comments

• PompeyMattPompeyMatt ✭✭✭

Good to see everyone still getting out and enjoying their running, I'm by no means fully fit at the moment but I am determined to be back to peak fitness as soon as possible (injury permitting).

I did MK marathon on Monday after a few weeks of not being whether or not to run due to an injury/strain. So with only 8 miles running in the previous 6 weeks and carrying a strain I got round in 5.22 which I'm happy with given that my legs pretty much gave up at around halfway. I was doing 12-14 minute miles towards the end but it was worth it as I look back on it and know I enjoyed it! 

• Nessie73Nessie73 ✭✭✭

Well done Matt image

Gosh those trumps are impressive JTimage

Me- yesterday was a 6 am session- 12 x 260m (I know, odd distances on our makeshift track round the back of the town hall)

This evening 6 miles easy

• Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭

A fairly sedate 6 miler (MP) on Tuesday and a 9 mile hilly run today. The latter was Streatham Common, which is a pretty brutal place to run around so I include it when I want to torture myself. I haven't attempted it since the groin strain and I definitely felt it today - average pace was 11:09 but I had a couple of 12+ during the miles that were all uphill. The gorgeous weather took some of the pain out of it though. image

• swittleswittle ✭✭✭

Mornings don't come much better than today's.  0630 and the cool air was being steadily warmed by the clear, bright sun.  The higher tide had left the smooth sand firm and true until I veered off to run past the boating lake on sliding, grabbing soft grains.  Up the bank, along the cycle track and road and only the dewy grass of the park remained.  Just the 4 miles but what a wealth of experiences!

• JT141JT141 ✭✭✭
    Great things PMatt off virtually no immediate training. It's amazing what the base running fitness can get you through.

Beatific running Swit.

Nice day here but breezy still. 11.3miles in under 1hr24. Passed someone with a vicious cologne. Like a punch in the nose. On a ghoulish note went past the house of the vanished Claudia Lawrence.
  • Dank-artDank-art ✭✭✭
    Lovely 9 mile run in beautiful and peaceful Hoi An / Vietnam - started at 5.30am with 80% humidity and 27 degree heat. Ran through the old town to get to open rice fields and lotus flower ponds, buffalo drinking and fisherman in their thin, long boats on the still waters. Really great run but slow as it was so hot and legs felt heavy. Getting slightly lost didn't help as I planned on 6 miles ish! Running back to town in morning rush hour was interesting, imagine running through London, in the road, towards oncoming cars, insane!
  • JT141JT141 ✭✭✭
    Didn't see waters filled with lotus and buffalo. I saw a man in a Tindersticks t-shirt and a muzzled spaniel had an unsuccessful go at mauling my leg. 9.4miles off-road in just over 1hr11. Pace really slowed for miles 6&7. Don't know why. Wasn't particularly aware of it. Tracking seemed fine. Hmm.
  • JT141JT141 ✭✭✭
    It is warm. Had meant to rest but felt like a run. 7.2miles in just under 51mins. Became a quick run which sometimes happens.
  • Nessie73Nessie73 ✭✭✭
    Some great sounding runs for all image

Yesterday I gave the running a miss and cycled down to London fields lido for a swim in the beautiful sunshine. I have my first triathlon next month and intended to also include a run, but my friend is injured, so we gave it a miss. Of note was cycling into my friend and falling into the road , narrowly missing a bus on Mare St Hackney. This resulted in absolutely no-one at the busy bus stop even acknowledging it had happened, and some fairly impressive, but benign, cuts and bruising, down my right leg and arse cheek. My mate came off a bit better and we both agree it was sheer twattery on both our parts. Rest of the bike ride was mostly on the river lee, regents canal and grand Union, which are lovely. 22 mile round trip on the bike and a mile swim. We also got sunburnt image

This morning was the longest run I've done since Manchester marathon a month ago- an unimpressive and slow 10 miles feeling rather battered and too warm, but livened up by some 1980s Prince on the iPod.
  • swittleswittle ✭✭✭

Different prep & tactics when it's warm.  Best not going medieval on your butt, Nessie but no harm done, apparently.  image  The Paisley Park guy would have appreciated your selection.

9pm and decidedly dusky but my belief is that running in the near dark sharpens vision and keeps the triage staff sharp!  image I circled the adventure centre and ran the shore of the Marina, its surface only slightly rippled by a warm, southerly breeze, before taking prom, paths & cycle track back to slumbering Victoria Park.  Just short of four miles.  Good for me.

• JT141JT141 ✭✭✭
    Two runs. Checking someone's house while they're on holiday. 6.6miles out there in 52mins. Saw some geese with young goslings nipping down the road. There's a pond near by so figure they were making a break for that.

8.8miles in under 1hr9, more offroad. Plenty of people about. A group of young ladies by the river stripped down to their bras as they changed into matching tees. They weren't expecting me. To be fair I wasn't expecting them. I averted my eyes.
  • swittleswittle ✭✭✭

Truly, you are a runner of great honour, JT.

More headtorchless running for me this evening.  Surprisingly warm, too.  Round the Marina, spooking some lads looking to win the worst hide & seek award behind the pump stations - weed may have been involved. 

The beach has a corduroy surface, tricky on the feet and several couples & dog walkers + dogs shared the calm.  By the Baths, a cheerful young woman regales me with her recent experience of fishing her collie dog out of the Marina.  She was saturated!  image

• Nessie73Nessie73 ✭✭✭

I love the description of a corduroy beach surface swittle, very evocative!

JT- I would have had a look image

Me- 6 miles tempo run this evening in the rain, which was clearing the heat and was just lovely and so refreshing.

• 7AM Sunday morning: 10.17 miles (Tried to design a route that was exactly 10, pretty pleased that my estimation was that close.) Average pace 7:05 time 1hour12 it was a foggy one, didn't plan on going quite that fast but once I got around 6 miles in I was buzzing anyway so it didn't feel that quick image

• Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭

After a weekend away doing amusement parks, eating rubbish food and getting sunburnt, I felt a bit sluggish today but I managed to do 6.2 miles with miles 3 and 5 as 5K-pace intervals. Felt OK aside from my left good getting pins and needles for the last mile. After the weekend heat I was glad of a bit of drizzle. It was still warm and very muggy out.

• Got a parkrun pb on Saturday 23:44. Did a steady 10 miles on Monday and I've got a six mile race tonight. Last year I did it in 53 minutes. It's a hilly course so any improvement on last year will make me happy.

• Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭

Good luck, Andrea. Great result at the parkrun.

• 6 mile race done in 49:37! Really pleased as there are two killer hills in it.

• Nessie73Nessie73 ✭✭✭

Way to go Andrea! You are flying at the moment! I want some of what you're doing- share your secrets!?

Cal, you weekend sounds fun image

Me- have been holed up with my feverish 8 year old administering Calpol, wet flannels to the brow and plenty TLC, so tonight's 6 miles in the forest were very welcome.  Very muddy, great company from club buddies and beautifully fresh after the rain. Off to Warwick university after work tomorrow for my annual Examiner's meeting, where I shall try to fit in a run around campus

• Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭

Brilliant, Andrea, you cracked the 50. Funnily enough my HM PB was at Ealing, which was hilly. I think I make up more time on the downhills than I lose on the uphills. Of course, that does mean sore quads the next day. image

6 miles at 6am today, easy pace. High humidty but a beautiful light and a slight breeze. Saw a heron and a fox.

• Nessie, I run 4/5 times a week, this includes the park run and a speed workout., then everything else ls done at a 70% heart rate. You feel like you're just plodding but it seems to work for me and also helps to stay injury free.

• JT141JT141 ✭✭✭
    Great running Andrea, and hello Trying To Improve - very fine 10mile pace.

Yesterday I was miserable as sin. I stood in the shower wondering if it was possible to just open my mouth and drown myself. Felt bit better today. 8.3miles in 1hr01. My legs felt good although the rest of me was a bit shit. Warm evening and many runners. I waved, some waved back.
  • Nessie73Nessie73 ✭✭✭

JT- hope tomorrow is a better day

Andrea- maybe I need to give this HR training a go!?

Me- I've been away at an examiners meeting, at Warwick university. Went for an early morning run today and found a pukka athletics track, which I ducked into and did a nifty 8 x 400m.  Quite pleased with self- missed my usual speed session on Tuesday morning and am also smug that I am able to do it without the other bunch of women to egg me on

• And yet another Parkrun pb! 23:41 unofficial time, but Garmins pretty accurate.. Woo hoo!!

• Official time 23:39, 4th female home, 1st in my age category ????????

• Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭

Well done Andrea! PB for me too - 26.42. I was slightly behind my PB when I got to three miles but contrived to make up 11 seconds in the last .1 of a mile. Second in my age category again. I'm going to have to get faster.

Good stuff, Nessie - I really need to do some intervals like that. And JT, hope you feel better soon mate.

• Nessie73Nessie73 ✭✭✭

Well done Cal and Andrea! 

Me- 9 miles very pleasant running up by Wanstead Flats and Epping Forest

• JT141JT141 ✭✭✭
    Hello. Great PBs Andrea and Cal.

Thanks for the kind thoughts. I am psychologically disposed to rapid onset twitchy miserableness. Been listening to the new radiohead album and doubt that helps, very good though it is. Still, kicked myself out the door for 8+ miles. Then went to Morrisons and got my least favourite check out lady. And they didn't haven't any teacakes. It's all barely tolerable.
  • swittleswittle ✭✭✭

Super running and racing, Andrea and CJ - and Nessie, the resourceful academic! image

JT, those 'Tradition' Morrison's adverts remind me of the song in 'Fiddler On The Roof'.  Just thought I'd throw that in....

Still running everyday - not too fast and not too far but greatly satisfying.  Almost XC-like routes with regular terrain changes.  Home well after sunset after some growling Labrador disapproval.  Probably my legs.... image

• Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭

I don't normally run on consecutive days but I felt I needed a long, easy run today. My legs then reminded me why I don't run on consecutive days so I did 4 miles and left it at that.