Options

2016 Marathon Training Thread

Comments

• Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Well done guys.

• Options
    NN fab performance and another PB , great stuff. Aiming for the Jersey M in early october . Double date in the park next year in Londonimage

DD nice work on double session.

Tek sounds nice running through the park, bet it was busy.

SM nice and fast for that mile image

Ollie well done on the run with the bro.

MG7 some good speed in the middle.

Cal sensible with rolling and spinning .

NP good running , glad to hear the MOT was all good.

6 m tonight in the warm and windy conditions, certianly will have to acclimatise to the heat not that I am complaining just yetimage Ran a decent pace for three of the miles which felt good.
  • Options
    OlliepopOlliepop ✭✭✭

Morning. image

Dr.Dan: Nice going on the 5.35 miles.  Enjoy the bike commuting and easy runs in the meantime.
    Cal: Sounds like a hard spin class yesterday.
    NP: Don't reel me in. image  Nice running with the club and on the trails.
    HM4: Thanks.
    MG1: Nice 6 miles, sounds like a decent run yesterday.

- - - - - - - - - -

5 miles from me today at some point.  Don't know where, don't know when, but it'll be a 5 mile walts... Or run rather.

Have a good day. image

Have a good day. image
  • Options
    TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

Stuart that's a super one mile time, well doneimage

OH hope you enjoyed the badminton

Michael well done on the 6 x 800

NN PB !!image  Amazing WAVA score...

Ollie nice 7 yesterday, good luck with today's run

Dr Dan good set of intervals off the bike ride

Cal well done on the spin class

NP fast running on the road and trails ! Sounds like you're in excellent shape

HM thanks

MG well done on the warm and windy 6

---

8.5m last night with the club, with 7m at MaraHR - ran it a bit too hard, but a good work-out nonetheless...image

• Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭

NP, that's a very low heart rate. You must be extremely fit! (Then again my mother had a very low resting pulse and that was mostly down to a leaky valve...)

Good job on the runs, everyone.

I promised myself some hills so today I did a 9 miler incorporating three laps of  Streatham Common, which is bloody steep in places. Herne Hill Harriers do a cross country race there and I entered in 2010, back when my only other racing was a few 10Ks on flat Clapham Common. It was a humbling experience. I had to walk several times. Since then I've made a point of running it every so often. My current record is five laps of the HHH course plus to and from my house (about 2 miles away). But today I stuck with three laps because I haven't run in since before Christmas due to the groin strain. 

I managed an average pace of 11:09 but there were a couple of 12+ miles in there - the ones that were almost entirely uphill. Clearly this is something I need to work on. I'm off to yoga now.

• Options

Great stuff NN

hill work is tough Cal, but generally easier in company, I find.

A hard run enjoyed is no bad thing Tek

Are you abroad or is it just warm darn sarf MG1?

Enjoy your 5 mile waltzing, Ollie! image

Good to hear the doc's confirmed you are alive NP image

Just 6.2 this pleasant evening. Legs feeling stiff and achey for no good reason. Fortunately none of the rest of the group felt like going fast. Perhaps just 2steady days at work (roll on 2017 ...)

• Options

NP Marathon... what marathon impressive pace on/off trails..

MG1 Know what you mean about the heat, I am used to running cool early mornings! Good 6miles

HM4 when r u out next?

Ollie Your runs sounds like you're going with the music! Weekly mileage sounds good r u able to sustain that?

Tek Great effort with the club run

Cal Definitely, hills are so humbling gr8 effort on running that x-country course they are tough.

NN Great results hope you and NP keep up with rallying calls like "age is just a number" and "I love getting old"

8.1 miles on this beautiful early morning run.. quite tired, showed in the pace. But pleased with v. steep hill section and recovery on remaining section of hill. With rest day on Friday should be OK for a 10miler on saturday.

• Options
    TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

Cal well done on that hilly 9 miler

OH good 6.2 on tired legs...

Michael good going on the hilly 8.1m

---

I was supposed to run a 3.5m League race tonight, but the hammy is still sore so I just had an easy 4m jog image

• Options
    No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭

MG1 nice 6 miles last night also nice to see the speed creeping up this week and the temperature.

Ollie hope the 5 miles went well.

Teknik nice club running 8.5 miles with 7@MP last night, look after the hamstring nice recovery run.

Cal well done on the 9 miles with hills I love hills and 95% of my runs are done on them, make for strong legs.

OH nice running on a nice night for once, think all your times will fall in 2017image

MG7  thats a good hilly 8.1miles think you will be fine on Saturday for 10.

70x25m front crawl this morning, 6 miles on the trails avg 7:01 pace so the speed is seeping back into the legs, core session tonight. Rest day tomorrow so just an easy swim. Will run the Parkrun on Saturday not got any time in mind for that will just run on feel.

• Options
    StewartCStewartC ✭✭✭

NP, good to hear the MOT went well, I haven't been to the docs in ages, some more good running and swimming enjoy the rest day tomorrow

DR Dan, good work I hope the HM goes well at the weekend

Tek, A good run with the club last night

SM, wow that is a quick mile, I doubt I could hold that during a 100m sprint

MG7, a good interval session and hilly 8 today enjoy the rest day

MG, nice run, I don't mind the wind when it is warm unless I am doing a session well done with the 6

Ollie I hope you enjoyed the 5

Cal, Nice 9 miler today those hills will make you strong

OH, well done with the 6 miles today, you;ll be training like a pro next year

NN, another great run you just keep on improving congratulations image

---------------

I hope I got everyone, apologies if I missed anyone

Tuesday was just a recovery run with JS a bit off road and muddy image rest day yesterday and an interval session with the tri club tonight, the session was 4 x 0.9m and 2 x 0.4m another tough session which was hampered by the wind hopefully the legs will feel recovered for the 10k on Saturday,

• Options
    yellow52yellow52 ✭✭✭

Dr Dan - good intervals, the weather's certainly getting better for the bike commuting. Fingers crossed for good conditions Sunday.

NN - well done on the PB and great WAVA!

SM6 - all the mara training paying off on the shorter distance!

HM4 - well done getting back into the training, hope you can keep it up

OH - hope the legs feel a bit lighter after the steady run.

OP - hope the 5 mile waltz went well!

Cal - that sounds like a tough hill course, but great training. It's a bit flat near me - I can get to some hills on a long run, but for shorter efforts I have to resort to treadmill.

MG1 - nice 6 miles. it's getting warm isn't it, I'm sure we'll all acclimatize soon, but this heatwave(!) arrived a bit suddenly.

MG7 - good luck with the 10miler

Teknik - hope the hamstring is recovering

NP - good swim and trail running. I'm wondering what you call an 'easy swim' after knocking out 70 lengths. Glad the check-up was OK. I have a similar resting HR (I've measured as low as 42). I'm most definitely NOT a 20-year old elite athlete, but Doc has told me all is OK with the ticker.
    ------------

Work has taken it's toll this week, so I'm glad I got some cycling in on Sunday and Monday. Tue & Wed were both rest days (Tuesday by choice, Wednesday not so).

Tonight 4 easy miles when I got in from work.

• Options
    OlliepopOlliepop ✭✭✭

Morning. image

Teknik: Nice running/jogging. image
    Cal: Nice going on the hilly run. image
    OH: Nice 6.2 yesterday. image
    MG7: My usual mileage is around 65 - 70, just building back up to it at the moment, but have to remind myself I have plenty of time to do it gradually.  Nice 8.1 miles. image
    NP: Nice swimming and running, enjoy the rest day. image
    SC: Nice intervals yesterday.  All the best for the 10k. image
    Yellow52: Hope the 4 miles went well. image

- - - - - - - - - -

3 miles from me today, not a waltz but a rumba (run-ba? image ) today, nice and easy.

Have a good day. image

Have a good day. image
  • Options
    Night NurseNight Nurse ✭✭✭

Afternoon ... thats the nightshifts out the way , till Monday 

NP back on pace a quick marathon recovery !! and thanks for you comments ! holidays getting in the way if marathon training ?? poor you image  I am sure your MOT report will come back showing you are fighting fit ! you aleadt know that but its nice  to have it confirrned !  I had a full body scan on a bodytrax which is meant to be 98% accurate , I have lost quite a bit of weight about 12lb since you last saw me hence the PBs ! I was please to see 0 viscal fat ( hidden fat around the torso  ) and my overall body fat falls in the 'athlete' range image

SC have you another tri planned ? 

MG1 , didnt you do Jersey last  year ? where are you now ? missed that bit  

MG7  nice 8.1 ... it was following NP that inspired me ! I had kind of accepted my age and a slow down ! but started looking at things like regular speed work and more cross training , I do regular gym classes now 

Ollie sounds as if you enjoyed your 3 miler ! 

Yellow good to see you still managed to do something ! damn work eh ? 

Tek wise to skip the 3.5 mile race !! those short fast races do more damage I am sure 

OH glad to see you are having some pleasant weather up there ! nice 6.2

easy 4 miles and legs bums tums class yesterday 

Rest day here 10k race tomorrow evening , not a PB course but hopfully a course PB quickest on the course for me so far is 47.57 

• Options
    TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

NP nice set of pool lengths, and another fast trail run - enjoy the parkrun tomorrow

yellow well done on the biking and easy 4m

Ollie nice easy 3m

NN well done on the easy 4m and gym class - good luck on the 10k tomorrow eveningimage

---

Just a short 3.7m recovery run here

---

Weekend Races

06/5/16 Scottish 5k Champs Stuart M
    07/5/16 Serpentine 7k Handicap Teknik
    07/5/16 Benromach Forres 10k Stewart C
    08/5/16 Leeds Half Dr Dan

Good luck Stewart, Stuart, Dr Danimage

• Options

Tek - Shame about missing yesterdays race but wee done on the recovery run, and good luck tomorrowimage

NN - Fantastic new 5k PBimageimage Good luck for tomorrows 10kimage

Ollie - Good recovery run tooimage

Yellow - Well done on the 4 miler, and cycling earlier in the weekimage

Stewart - Nice intervals with the tri club. Good luck tomorrowimage

NP - Great running and swimming as always, good luck with the parkrun tomorrowimage

Michael - Sounds like a tough 8 miles!image

Cal - Well done on the 9 milesimage

OH - Sounds a good JS plod!image

MG - Summer might make it up here at some point! Well done on the 6image

------------

Not racing tonight, slept terribly. I forgot that up until starting proper training for Manchester I very rarely ran on a Friday as my legs feel mince after being on them all night at work, and then not sleeping well. So signing up for a race wasn't wise, and I'm signed up for another in a few weeks time. Hmmmimage

I will go for a run shortly, only a few slow miles. Maybe do Falkirk parkrun again tomorrow.

• Options
    Tek good couple of runs, sounds like the club run was a good one.

Cal hope the legs are not to tight after the hills.

OH pleasant weather at last.

MG7 hope your 10 goes well tomorrow

NP good work pal, bet you will be at the front tomorrow on the park run !

Stewart have a good one tomorrow ????

Yellow hope the run was pleasant.

NN have another great race, Jersey for the last 3 years should be number 4 in October.

Ollie nice little 3 .

SM cant be nice running following night shiflts, have a good run tomorrow.

Nice steady 5 last night and rest today, great to be training in vest again. Park run #2 tomrrow and a few added miles to get up to 9 or 10.
  • Options

3 miles this evening, all nautical image

• Options

MG - Good luck with parkrun tomorrowimage

OH - Good paddling, nice weather for itimage

---------

Magic, just found out the girl I had planned to run with tonight ran 17:59 image She's a 3000 runner, and she still couldn't beat me over a mile on Tuesday so I'm wondering had I turned up could I have ran that?? It seems unlikely, but I didn't think she could either...

Saying that, I done 5 miles tonight and my legs didn't feel great.

• Options
    yellow52yellow52 ✭✭✭
    Good luck Tek, Stewart and Dr Dan, and hopr everyone else has a good weekend of training, parkruns, and relaxation.

Planning some 400m intervals tomorrow and then an easy 8 miles or so on Sunday. And I need to scrub the BBQ ready for its first use!!
  • Options
    OlliepopOlliepop ✭✭✭

Hello, hope all is well. image

Good luck to Night NurseTeknik, and Stewart C in their races today. image

NN: Hope you had a nice rest day, best of luck in hunting down a course PB. image
    Teknik: Nice recovery run, hope today's 7k goes well. image
    SM6: Hope the easy run went well, good luck at parkrun if you do so tomorrow. image
    MG1: Enjoy parkrun today, hope you had a good rest day. image
    OH: Nice kayaking, sounds good conditions for it up there. image
    Yellow52: Enjoy the 400 metre intervals, like the sound of the BBQ. image

- - - - - - - - - 

Just parkrun and a few more miles on top of that for me today, think I'll be putting some effort into the parkrun this week (sub-20 hopefully) but don't want it to feel too hard just yet, so will see. image

Have a good day. image

Have a good day. image
  • Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Well done guys.

----------

Stuart M, Tek, Stewart C & Dr Dan,

Good luck

Yellow,

That sounds a good idea.  We had the picnic table up last night and dinner in the garden.

• Options

Have a good run Stuart, Stewart, Tek and DrDan

Ollie - 19.xx image

Sea swim and 7mile run planned for me

• Options
    yellow52yellow52 ✭✭✭
    6 miles in the sun, with 6x400 intervals about 10s/mile faster than 5k pace. Tough in the heat. BBQ time now image
  • Options
    No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭

SC nice interval session with the club hope the 10k went well.

Yellow 54 years young here soon to be 55 have had my HR as low as 36-38. That was a good session in the sun can you send some sun north please, enjoy the BBQ.

Ollie good 3 miles yesterday hope the Park run went well.

NN thats great on the body fat no wonder all your PB's are falling but it's also down to your dedication and hard work. Hope the 10k has gone well.

MG1 nice run on Friday and another great Park run today.

SM6 It's great that you can push the speed in a race and well done again on your mile speed.

OH hope the water has warmed up for your swim and your run went ok.

Rest day swim yesterday 40x25m, my car was in for a service and a fault come to light so no car until Monday afternoon then my son rang to say that they where coming up today so the Park run went out the window and I was up and out early for a steady six miles. MLR tomorrow. Can someone please push the sun north and take away this wind and rain. Ran if full winter gear this morning.......

• Options

9.5C water
    https://www.facebook.com/bbcthesocial/videos/850211648422593/?pnref=story

Run felt a lot better today, sun shining but still cool wind

• Options
    StewartCStewartC ✭✭✭

Yellow, well done with the easy 4 and 6 in the sun a good speed session by the sounds of it

Ollie, you crack me up, run-ba indeed image I hope parkrun went well this morning

NN, no tri's on the horizon but I do enjoy their run sessions on a Thursday night, I think these interval sessions along with some tempo work will help me get some speed. good luck with the hilly 10k

Tek, well done with the recovery run

SM, shame you had to miss the race last night, but no point racing it if you were not 100%

OH, well done with the swim and run today, Yeah I saw that clip the other day, image

NP, another good run today enjoy the MLR tomorrow and the family visit

-------------

An easy 4 yesterday and a 4 mile walk to and from the football, caley lost 3-2 image

Benromach 10k Race Report

With a 2:30pm start time there was no rushing about this morning, the legs were generally feeling good the calves were a little tight, probably all that standing at the game, I took my son and youngest daughter along today, nice to get a little moral support. The course is on a flat loop running clockwise with an out and back section between miles 3 to 5 miles 1,2 and 4 against the wind.

After a 2 mile warm up I felt a PB might be possible if I could run smartly and not kill myself in the first four miles.   I almost missed the start due to needing a pee but made it safely to line with a minute to spare.  We were sent on our way promptly at 2:30.

I got into a decent rhythm fairly quickly and felt confident I could hold sub 7:40s, first mile came and went in 7:31.  The second mile I tried tucking in behind a tall chap but he was starting to slow so I had to go it alone 7:50.  A little rest bite from the wind now it was more of a side wind along this stretch, I still felt okay here but knew I had some work to do in the next mile 7:52.  Back into it again and this was the slowest mile of the race it was a bit of a grind and it was starting to feel tough now 8:01. With the wind at my back now I tried to push on but the legs were not responding 7:59.  Now into the last mile I could sense at least one guy just a bit behind me I tried to put in a few surges to drop him but he kept close 7:55.  Into the last 0.2, I picked it up again but he was still there spotting the last corner I gave it everything and took the inside line unfortunately he got past me on the corner and there was no way I was going to get around him with only a few metres to go, came home in 48:40 watch time gun time 40:42, if nothing else I have been consistent this Spring the three 10k I have done are all with 8 seconds.

I have got another 10k at the end of the month, hopefully I get a sub 48 next time out, I know I’ve got it in me.

• Options

Still a good solid performance Stewart image

you know you can can, Ollie image

• Options
    OlliepopOlliepop ✭✭✭

Evenin'. image

HM4: Merci beaucoup. image
    OH: Sounds like the run went swimmingly, and the swim went runningly I guess. image
    Yellow52: 6 miles and a BBQ; well done on the run, and hope and Barbecued steaks are well done too. image
    NP: Nice going on the 6 miles today, hope you had a good day with your family. image
    SC: Fantastic, well done!  Fingers crossed for sub-48 next time but enjoy your result today. image

- - - - - - - - - -

19:23 from me at parkrun, perhaps would have managed a comfortable 19:5x if not for meeting a school friend whom was not for beating me.  Blame my misplaced pride, but came in before him so no problems with that, all raced in good humour of course, though did have a pint riding on it. image

Have a good day. image
  • Options
    Ollie excellent run at the park run.

OH glad to hear it felt better today.

Yellow plenty of recovery food on the bbq

NP sun for you tomrrow I think, enjoy the run

Stewart sure you can nail it at the next one !!!

8 m in total today including park run , super turnout with 1016 runners , fortunatly at the front of the starting pack to get round in 18:32 and a PB by 25 secs image

Have quickly learned that there is no easy way of running 5 k !
  • Options
    Night NurseNight Nurse ✭✭✭

Quick post 

last nights 10k 

I had forgotten just how hilly this course was !  my fastest time there over the years  has been 47.57 so I knew it was no PB course 

A big field of 745 

A nice easy slightly downhill first half a mile before a 3 mile climb first mile in 7.33

my main aim was to try and stay in front of our  ladies captain a V40'who runs 43 mins for a 10k , we ran the first 2 miles together then I decided to try and break away ... 'bye then julie  ' she shouted  that was it I had to stay in front image mile 2 uphill in 8.15 still gently climbing and feeling as if maybe I should have held back a bit mile 3 in 7.33 then thank god a flatter section and gentle downhill 7.27 ... despite this I was feeling sick and really digging in , quite a lot of support through the town helped mile 5 in 7.08 . the rest was nearly all gentle downhill mile 6 in 7.01 but then  a nasty half mile incline at the end I heard someone shout good stuff julie dig in tracy ( captain) is just behind you ! then they shouted dig in tracy catch julie !! I looked round and there she was !! just when I didnt need it with an uphill finish !! I really couldnt let her beat me ... gave it my all and got her by 4 seconds we both collapsed in each others arms ... she said god I need the toilet ( too much info ha ha !! ) 

Finish  time 46.38 2nd V50 ( I minute behind  the 1st) 

2nd ladies team prize 

139/745 overall 

course PB by 1 minute 20