Sub 3h15

Comments

• SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭
    I was pootling a bit around Arnside this morning Fishy. Might have passed you!
  • Sounds like ideal weather for both Fishy and SJ

Interesting start to the day for you Gul!

Wonderful down south as well - glad it wasn't this warm two weekends ago. Very pleasant 11.5 miles off road with younger Lorenzito to take me up to 60 for the week. Kept it nice and easy although the hilly bits raised a sweat.

• BadbarkBadbark ✭✭✭

Good to see some solid training runs from Lorenzo, Gul, Leslie, GM and PMJ. Good Tri training by SJ. Also good cycling by Poacher.

I ran 16 miles this morning including a Parkrun in 19:35. I didn’t push it too hard after my exploits on Monday and Tuesday. I plan on 5 easy mile tomorrow to bring it up to 80 for the week. Not bad for a ‘Marathon’ week.image

Sorry for begging but I’m trying to raise money for Melanoma UK, following my recent diagnoses. If you’d like to read my story and donate a few pounds please following this link - https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/MarkRunner

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Gul I read back and saw your great race report. Many congrats on your old man PB, though I have to say you don't look 50 in that photo. I know you haven't run many but it's a great achievement- I could never get  near a 10k PB these days so hats off to you. The trick to get faster is definitely to run the short stuff with more frequency.

After a gentle week in the Lakes we sneaked home early today to catch my local parkrun. I ran 18:58- the needle seems to be stuck around the 19 minute mark these days. Still, it was windy and I was 4th in a field of 400 so not too shabby. That was my 150th parkrun since I ran my first under 4 years ago.

16 planned tomorrow- sadly the last day of my holiday image   

• Paced parkrun yesterday: 20 minute pacer and I cam home in 19:58 so pretty close to target. Didn't seem like I really paced anyone as it was mainly solo but afterwards a few ahead said they were just out there with the aim of staying ahead of me so I swept those along. Next back was outside 20 minutes. 42 miles for the week which is about where I want to be for the next month or so: more emphasis on speed and less on distance.

Daughter #1 is back on the track today at Tamworth running for BRAT in the Midland Counties T&F league 2. Seems to be the same league as Speedy Goth so if you see a 400m hurdler/flat who looks a bit like me, say hi.

• Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭

Badbark nice big mileage week 

0053 Nice parkrun 

Pmj good pacing 

12 mile today to give a modest 32 for the week .Accidently put my name down for a half next Sunday ,with hardly any base mileage this could be messy image

• SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭
    Non cyclists - look away

Fred Whitton report - I was hoping for a no dramas PB today hopefully around the 7:30 mark. Rocked up with my cycling buddy John. Set off right at the back - I think we were the last group to start. Fast ride from grasmere to Ambleside and then a push up kirkstone. Over the top and I was flying down the other side pushing high 30s. Suddenly the bike didn't feel right and the back wheel was fish tailing and I was struggling to keep control of it at that speed. Tried anchoring on the brakes but that made the wobbling worse. Eventually (about half a mile later (not an ideal stopping distance) I stopped and confirmed that I'd had a blow out. Changed tyre carefully since I didn't want a repeat of last year's 4 puncture debacle. 10minutes down and hammered it along Ullswater and up Matterdale to catch John and go past him. Lovely long fast stretch down to Keswick and past Derwent Water but all completely solo. Gurn my way up Honister (25%) whilst regretting not getting a bigger cassette on my bike and starting to pass people but had to stop at the top for 5 minutes whilst the air ambulance picked someone up who'd come a cropper.

Fast descent down when we got the green light and then a right turn up over Newlands - bike had been making a noise on the climbs and was getting worse - I eventually worked out that the rear brake was rubbing on the wheel whenever I got out of the saddle - a close fit and a bit of wheel flex- not very helpful!

Released the brake lever at the top and it felt MUCH easier to climb.

Fast ride down the valley and then up over Whinlatter pass, steady climb and nothing too taxing but starting to feel hot and bothered and a bit sick. Cracked on over the top and a fast descent to Lorton and and then a couple of short climbs before a long drag over Calder Fell into a headwind (on the most exposed bit of the course) starting to really suffer now with the heat and nausea and puke twice (without stoppingimage ). I'm only carrying energy drink and am craving water and head is dropping and struggling to keep pace up.
  • SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭
    Limp my way to the next feed stop and empty one of my bottles and fill it with water and set off again. Still struggling and puke again image Next 10 miles takes me an hour - well off pace, it's one of the flatter sections. Approach to Hardknott looms and I can barely keep going on a straight line. Realise I'm in trouble and pull in to a pub at the foot of the pass. Go in and have a pint of water (with ice in it!) and a pint of coke - still felt rough so sat back in a comfy chair. Woke up an hour later. Yikes.

Finish my drinks off and set off feeling much better.

Only Hardknott (30%) and Wrynose (20%) to do now. Great.

Manage to get 2/3rds the way up Hardknott before having to unclip and push. Nerve jangling descent and a couple of miles along the valley before the climb up Wrynose - no dramas other than nearly running into the back of an erratic car on the descent. Hammered it home back to Grasmere and felt OK ish.

Crossed the line in 9:11 (PW) Moving time 7:38 (PB).

Felt awful at the finish couldn't face food and just had drinks. Met John at the finish, turns out he passed me whilst I was having a nap and finished in a solid debut time of 8:38.

Had to stop the car on the way home for me to decorate a layby with the contents of my stomach (2 cups of water and a can of 7UP and one mouthful of a warm cheese sandwich)

Got home and had a bath and then started shivering uncontrollably.

Tucked up in bed now - still haven't eaten anything.

I suspect I have a bit of heat stroke compounded by poor choice of fluids.

John doesn't want to do it next year. I'm fancying a crack at a sub 7:30.
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Blimey - it was hot out there! With a headwind to boot! 11.07 was a fair representation of my fitness but also my motivation once I realised 2nd was out of sight and 4th wasn't going to catch me.
  • Fish52Fish52 ✭✭✭

Another epic for you today Slokey. It was reading like an extreme hardcore adventure until I got to the bit about your 'power nap'! It was certainly a hot day for an endurance cycling event, so your moving time of 7:38 is good going. I have a feeling that my moving time would have been closer to your overall time. Hope the shivers have abated and that you're soon on the mend.

Glad to read that you're back competing Jools. Is your knee completely better?

13 hilly miles for a mediocre total of 34 - but 2 decent bike sessions and a brill fell walk on Monday have all added to the training.

• SJ clearly seems to think that badbark shouldn't have the sole claim to fame on the silly bugger side of things. Sunday in the Lake District on a bike goes like this:

Drop off bike at bottom of shallow pass. Cycle to pub at top of pass. Sit in beer garden and drink beer: watch the world go by. Coast down to car at bottom of pass; drive home, finish off day with a few more beers.

• SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭
    I'm beginning to appreciate the appeal of that way of thinking PMJ.

Had some food - feeling much better.
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

SJ: 8.5 hours with puking?  That is hardcore.  Cannot believe you are considering it again already!!

Fishy: I'll see what the physio's verdict is tomorrow.  It's generally ok, but I'm still getting the odd twinge, although I guess Rome wasn't built in a day and a glute isn't totally strengthened in a fortnight. Don't think that being back at work and donning heels again has helped: first week post-injury I was on hols and spent it in trainers!

• SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭
    Time for sensible flat comfy shoes Jools! Well done on a podium spot image
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

Lorenzo - nice weekly mileage.
    Badbark - nice 80 mile taper and sub 3 marathon week!
    OO - thank you for you kind words. Hope the return to work isn't too much of a shock.
    PMJ - good pacing.
    Leslie - going to take it easy next Sunday thenimage
    SJ - just amazing to finish that insane course on a day like yesterday. Hats off to you. Hope you're feeling better today.
    Jools - good racing to claim 3rd place.
    8 steady miles with 8x100m strides.

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Well done SJ that is monster.

Like your style PMJ. I'm also looking at 40 per week for the next few weeks. Hope your daughter has a good outing on the track.

Glad to hear you are on the mends Jools- I might have missed it but have you decided on the next Marathon attempt, or too soon to commit? 

• SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭
    Still feeling a bit grotty

Even after lunch I'm still half a stone lighter than yesterday morning! If anyone is after a bikini body weight loss plan I'm the man to ask

(Although I'm sure I'd look horrible in a bikini)
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

SJ! image Brilliant report. Don't take this the wrong way bit your pain and discomfort makes for great entertainment! image 
    Another epic encounter, chapeau Sir.

Not quite the same adventure but I too was out on the bike yesterday. A cheeky little 32 miler around Sunningdale and Windsor Great Park on a hot day made for a pleasurable ride with barely 1000ft of uphill and a 17mph average.

Did my first run today since the VLM. Had all sorts of pains and niggles where things must have settled down into non-running mode. It was proper warm too. I could feel the 32 miles from yesterday's ride in my legs but at least I'm back running. Will just tick-over for a few weeks before starting the Berlin campaign. hammy is still niggly so it will need some care.

GD

• AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

Great work from SJ getting the Fred Whitton done in extremely trying circumstances! Massive credit just for finishing, and a very respectable moving time not allowing for the pub interlude!

Good running of various distances from Gul, Lorenzo, BB, OO, PMJ, Leslie and Fishy, and some decent bike miles from GD too. Good to see you back running after VLM as well.

Jools, excellent news that you're back running and your injury issues are settling down.

10 early on Saturday morning, and then cricket in the afternoon. Leslie, Poacher, GM & Gul, thanks for the best wishes and I can report that we at least stayed competitive, even though we ended up on the wrong side of the result. I managed to contribute with bat and ball though, so did my bit at least! Rest day yesterday as it was a family beach trip followed by BBQ. Back to it today with an easy 6.5.

• OO53 wrote (see)

Like your style PMJ. I'm also looking at 40 per week for the next few weeks. Hope your daughter has a good outing on the track.

Looks to be OK. She has had a couple of years away and was a few seconds down on her PBs, so a good place to star out from. She did 3 400s (hurdle, flat and relay) and a 100 relay and 3 jumps so 7 events: needs to be a heptathlete.

• PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭

"Madslokey" doesn't have the ring of "Madbark", but is equally descriptive. Knowing the terrain, I was feeling faint just reading about it. Excellent determination shown too. Puking is nothing to be ashamed of - it's a badge of honour. Not puking is for people who don't try hard enough. I'm inspired to find time to get the MTB up the M6 this summer for some Cumbrian adventures.

No running at the moment - cream crackered from heavy duty outdoor work + shifting many tons of earth. Probably classes as XT. Looks like WP will have to be the 3rd LR of the year.

Abbers - keep grafting, you could be the new David Steele. 

• SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭
    I think "stupidslokey" is more apt. Schoolboy errors. Been hiding from the sun all day - makes my head hurt. Nice cross training there Poacher.

Take it easy GD.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    My daughter recently supported a uni track event PMJ for 5k. While she was there they had her doing the sprint relays. Nearly killed her but all good fun and experience.

I did some sprint reps on the beach today in glorious sunshine. Unfortunately my calf is hurting now so nothing serious I hope.
  • Fish52Fish52 ✭✭✭
    Sounds encouraging Jools. I've had my fair share of knee problems over the years. Thankfully I've never had the exasperation of wearing heels!

PMJ//OO - consistent 40mpw is where I'm almost at, after the most cautious build up in running history. May I ask how you structure your 40 over a week?

That May sun has suddenly become quite strong SJ. Hope you feel better soon
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

There is little structure for me Fishy. The consistent elements are parkrun- usually run flat out & LSR on Sunday, usually 14-16 miles. Then mid week I run most days, sometimes twice, but rarely structured- usually 6 miles per run. I like to get in a hill session if I'm in Switzerland, and I often to speed reps if I'm training for a shorter race.    

• Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭

Slokey- cracking report image,puking without stopping is hardcore ,sounds like a very tough day out with the heat but at least you got a kip in the middle image

Poacher are you doing some Rocky style training with the earth moving ?

Gul-I won't be taking  it too easy  but I hope there won't be any puking either !

5 easy slow recovery ones , legs whacked after yesterday  image

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

SJ - hope things are improving.
    GD - nice to get back out on the road - easy does it.
    Abbers - good weekend for a cricket match and beach and BBQ.
    PMJ - impressive return by your daughter.
    Poacher - sneaking in some cross training, eh?
    OO - beach sprints on firm sand I presume? Hope the calf is OK.
    Leslie - nice recovery run.
    Looking at the weather, I decided it was time to start heat acclimatisation and put 4 top layers on this morning. 6 easy miles and still worked up quite a sweat. Schedule said 6, but I had one drop off and one pick up to do and couldn't find a shorter route.

• Fish52Fish52 ✭✭✭

Thanks for the insight OO. Your approach certainly pays off with your speedy race times. Before hurting my hip I followed a very specific schedule, but during recuperation I've taken a very different route. I'm hoping that consistency, rather than specific speed and threshold sessions win the day.

I like your low tech approach to acclimatisation Gul. Who needs hypoxic climate tents, when all you need to do is wear a few extra layers?

• Bike ItBike It ✭✭✭

BH Slokey - quite amazing.

Tapering here - so came down with the obligatory cold and programming the mind by watching live streaming of a 6 day race (nail biting stuff)

Been a bit busy last week - Joburg for premier league netball and rugby, new car, work and running. 79 miles last week as the final heavy week of training.  Our club put on a 32km race which I took very easy as an LSR - made it progressive so a very easy 1:31 first half and a 1: 22 second half increasingly progressive.  We had the university open day straight after - I took my clothes and showered at the office, but forgot shoes so had to wear trainers with my formal wear.  This being SA, anything goes and no-one said a word.

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

You could be onto something there, BH. Adidas Brogues, Nike Loafers, Asics Capped Oxfords, Saucony Chelsea Boots.

Good gym session last night to help recover from the lunchtime run. I only do core strength and stretch at the gym. I've been given a tip for my dodgy hammy/glute, Nordic hamstring curls. Tried a few last night and can feel they work the right area. Will give them a go.

Weighed myself this morning, a shade over 13st, same as I was just before London. That will do nicely. Should be able to dip under 13 for Berlin to help go faster.

GD