Sub 3h15

Comments

• Bike ItBike It ✭✭✭

I received this email from Manchester Marathon today:

The Association of UK Course Measurers (AUKCM) is the UK’s official course measurer. We remain very upset about the situation and are currently in discussions with the AUKCM. We will let you know as soon as we have any further information. When a course is measured and certified, that certificate is valid for 10 years as long as the course remains the same. The short distance was only highlighted after the 2015 race which is why there are 3 races affected by this error. Unfortunately, in the last 24 hours, it has transpired that there are many other races affected by this error across the North West.

So which are these?  Are anyone else's results affected?

• SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭
    All north west races - wilmslow half, Trafford 10k etc etc - 30odd events I think
  • SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭
    I received the mail too with the following text:

Your original 2013 time was 03:49:57

Your adjusted 2013 time is 03:57:21

A) I didn't run the race in 2013

B) they could've given me a better imaginary time...!

#couldntorganiseapissupinabrewery
  • Most bizarre set of events from Manc-land. Congrats in particular to SJ for bagging a time without even knowing about it.

Talking of SJ, it's taken me this long to respond to his epic account of the Fred Whitton - whilst I enjoy cycling, I don't think I'll be signing up to that one in a hurry. Vomiting on the go and then falling asleep mid race?! Move over Madbark - there needs to be space at the top of the Lunacy Podium.

Very tame in comparison, but I ditched the running shoes for cycling shoes on Sunday to head out for a spin with younger Lorenzito. Gorgeous weather for cycling and I'm pleased to say that I won the battle up the 1 in 5 towards the end. image

Mixed things up a bit yesterday with a couple of short commuting runs followed by turning out for the club in the local vets league, taking part in the 1500m, 400m and running first leg in the 4 x 100m relay. Thoroughly enjoyable and managed my fastest 1500m for over 30 years (OK - I haven't run one for over 30 years) at 5:20 - not stunning but not too bad. Not sure of my 400m time but the relay was a laugh; the team had to be one O60, one O50 and two other vets. At 48 I was the youngest in our squad but we still managed 3rd place. Looking forward to the next match in a couple of weeks' time.

Highlights today included an easy 7.5 miles first thing followed by an attempt to purchase tickets for the 2017 World Champs at Olympic Stadium. Having bodged up getting tickets for the athletics in 2012 by not applying for enough I wanted to make doubly sure I got at least one session, but have somehow ended up with 5 evening sessions including 100m, 800m, 5,000m, 10,000m and all the relays. Result!!!

• SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭
    Good effort on the tickets and thrashing junior for the KOM jersey Lorenzo!

The Fred is actually a great event - I just got over confident with pacing vs heat vs fluids. Humbled by the event - similar to not respecting a marathon, it'll bite you on the ar5e.

Another rest day here - I was still a few pounds lighter than I should be and still feeling rough this morning so have been drinking lots and had a Chippy tea. A bit of northern medication will see me right. Back on it tomorrow.
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

Bike It - looking in good shape.
    SJ - bizarre indeed. There must be some very upset people though.Take it easy.
    Lorenzo - excellent 1500m and well done on bagging all those tickets!
    8 miles with 3 x 1M d&d. Not sure if I was over optimistic, over-heating in all my layers or just fatigued but the reps turned out to be regressive. 6:19, 6:23, 6:27.

• SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭
    I received the mail too with the following text:

Your original 2013 time was 03:49:57

Your adjusted 2013 time is 03:57:21

A) I didn't run the race in 2013

B) they could've given me a better imaginary time...!

#couldntorganiseapissupinabrewery
  • Bike ItBike It ✭✭✭

That's quite a list of messed up measuring.  Just a question: if the fault is with the calibrated course at a consistant 0.5%, how come the actual errors are between 0.2% and 1%?  So they are saying there is still a residual error of +/-0.3% in their 'accurately' measured courses.  These guys should ride for 'Berks on Bikes' MTB club.

17km yesterday including 1600m flatout in 5:50 then 4x1000m in around 3:50-3:55 per km.  Bit of a sharpening session, but still I remain a slower runner at shorter distances.  I may have to target a 5km soon.

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

I love that adjusted time, SJ. I thought the course was about .2 of a mile short? That means you would be around 40 minute mileing for the final part.

Considering you didn't actually run the race, that's top bombing!!image

Returned to spinning class last night. They had new bikes installed with fab new computers on them. Stat-tastic! 15 miles covered in 45 mins with average output of 177w. I haven't a clue what that means but I love a stat, me!

GD

• Fishy1 wrote (see)

PMJ//OO - consistent 40mpw is where I'm almost at, after the most cautious build up in running history. May I ask how you structure your 40 over a week?

I try and keep the weekends free so my 40 is a parkrun on Saturday am plus warm up and cool down for about 5 miles and then about 7 miles a day Monday to Friday which means track sessions on Tuesday and Thursday and easy / recovery / chasing silly buggers depending on how I feel on the other 3 days. I seldom run long over the summer so no regular MLR. The parkrun and 2 track session are the speed and quality, the rest is enjoying running.

Did 6x800m yesterday with a lap jog recovery. It was pissing down so really wanted to do it as a fartlek session with hard and easy parts but managed to get out something closer to a reps session. Times were all abut 3:08 so 94 seconds per lap: faster than the 96 a week or so ago but not as fast as the aborted 4x800 last week so it makes sense.

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

Just a quick check in t say OMG SJ! Read your report and you had me worried you weren't going to survive, obviously did as you lived to tell the tale but sweet Jeebus that sounded tough to say the least. Amazing that you finished it really so kudos for that and hope you are feeling 100's again soon.

Been doing  a few runs and built back up to an hour this week and went out yesterday one month exactly after Manc mara and was 6 miles into a steady paced 9 miler and the wheels came off again in the same fashion as a month ago. Not good and had a miserable 3 mile walk back home which took about an hour. Not good and will have to bin running now until I get checked out at the quack again. Gutted as the weather is amazing and loads of friends training for various races but hey ho there's plenty of other stuff to be getting on with. Will have a proper read back later.

• SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭
    Nice spin stats GD (I think?)

Seems the Manchester lot have adjusted times based on average pace for the last 6miles x 380metres. I've been bumped to a 3:05 on the official results. Curses.

That's a fun looking structure PMJ.

Feeling better thanks GM - only 3 pounds light this morning so treated myself to a run session tonight. 75mins progressive from easy to HM pace. HR nicely controlled so looks like I've recovered well from Sunday. What's the score with you? What do you think the problem is?
  • GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

SJ  - Good to hear that you are better. Thanks for asking and In answer to your question I honestly don't know. I have avoided the temptation of asking Dr Google but the symptoms are weird. I have been experiencing abdominal discomfort, pain in the area just below the right hip to the right side which shifted to the left last night on the run and then back to the same place that affected me in Manc, it's not excruciating pain but enough to make it difficult to walk let alone run. The quack ruled out a hernia so that's good but couldn't really pin point anything that was obviously wrong. I reminded her that I had gall bladder issues about 10 years ago and that was never operated on as it settled with an adjustment to my diet and back then it was mainly intolerance to carbs but I very seldom eat carbs now apart from the odd banana or chip here and there, so I'm not sure. I have an appointment on Monday for blood tests and if they aren't favourable I'll be going straight in for scans. Luckily I have private medical insurance so I'll be looked after without any delay. I'll be glad to get a proper diagnosis whatever the outcome..

• SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭
    Ooh, that does sound weird GM. Especially with it moving around. Wonder if it's a nerve issue? Any previous problems with your back?
  • Fish52Fish52 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the feedback PMJ. Your week looks similar to what I was doing before I hurt my hip. I think it was too many track reps that put too much strain on my left side. I haven't dared do a serious track session since. But both you & OO do park runs, so maybe that's where my training should head. Nice reps from you though.

Hope you're sorted out soon GM. At least your at the docs nice & promptly.

Glad you're on the mend Slokey.
  • GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

SJ - No previous or current back issues to write home about just the usual lazy runners stiffness in the lower back when I don't do exercises or yoga. I got my left and right mixed up. Lol, it's left of the right hip and initially I thought it was the tendon connecting to the quad. My gut feeling is and pardon the pun is that it could be organ related somewhere in there. Will soon find out though.

Fishy - Cheers and yes you should do pakruns if you can and build on speed from there. Much better than track sessions as a starting point in terms of regaining some speed IMHO and more enjoyable too.

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

I tend to work away most weeks Fishy so I lack structure and quality club sessions- I'm a bit lazy when I run alone. Parkruns guarantee at least 1 really pacey session each week.

Took a rest day today due to my calf strain, back t business tomorrow image

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

Bike It - still a decent speed session.
    GD - 177 watts?
    PMJ - 40-(7x5)=5, so I presume that's 5 miles in total for a Saturday. Would you normally do a longer warm-up for parkrun? I am just wondering if my usual warm-up of 3.89 miles is too much when looking for a PB.
    SJ - annoying news from Manchester. At least you're recovering from the weekend ok.
    GM - hope you can get a diagnosis and it's nothing serious.
    OO - hope the calf is better for the rest.
    Left ankle felt a bit dodgy again this morning, so canned today's recovery run. No brainer at this stage.

• Fish52Fish52 ✭✭✭

I've just had a look at the revised Manchester Marathon 2014 results. My time has changed from 3:12:27 to 3:14:16, so I was still sub 3:15. But it means that my time of 3:09:09 at Nottingham Sept 2014 is over 5 minutes quicker, which is a great silver lining.

There is a relatively new park run which has been organised since January in Lancaster...

• Gul Darr wrote (see)

PMJ - 40-(7x5)=5, so I presume that's 5 miles in total for a Saturday. Would you normally do a longer warm-up for parkrun? I am just wondering if my usual warm-up of 3.89 miles is too much when looking for a PB.

Warm-up is very personal but that does seem very long but more importantly it is missing many of the elements of a warm-up. A warm-up is not an easy jog for a few miles to get the body ticking over: if you warm up at say 8 or 9 minutes per mile, how does that help when the gun goes and you are looking to do between 6 and 6:30 per mile? .

A 5k is really a fast race and over quickly and the warm-up needs to ensure that when the gun goes, you are up to speed and going from the start, so includes a period of light jogging but also needs some dynamic stretches (this has changed so when I was young it was all static stretches, now we are dynamic) and soem drills or fast bits.

• AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

GD - no idea what all those stats mean! As long as you're enjoying it and getting the lungs & legs working, that's the main thing image

PMJ - nice intervals. Do you have targets over the summer?

GM - take care of yourself - hope you get answers to your problem soon.

SJ - that's a decent session so soon after the FW. You're obviously recovering OK! Isn't that quite a lengthy run for you?

Fishy - ah, Lancaster! Like it there, didn't realise that was your locale. My brother was at uni there, and got married in the Ashton Memorial. As long as the parkrun doesn't go up the hill in Williamson Park, you should be OK!

OO - hope that calf is settling down.

Gul - sensible decision. Resist the temptation!

More easy running so far this week, something a little more demanding planned for today with a 5k time trial as part of an 8 miler. This is my substitute for parkrun as Saturday mornings are spent taking the Ms As to their dance lessons!

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

Sounds like a good session there, Abbers. Nice and warm for it too.

A cancelled teleconference with the US tonight means I can get to the track for the club pyramid session. First track session for a month. Should be interesting.

GD

• BirchBirch ✭✭✭

Hi all

Gerard - hope you're quickly diagnosed and satisfactorily sorted  . . .

Slokey - exploits noted (with awe) !  

Gul - dodgy ankle notwithstanding (hope that's not (almost) literally the case ), how are you feeling nine days out from WP ?  ( Poacher also) ?  

calf strain here also, OO, - had 5 day rest last week, but got back to it with 6 Sun, 5 Mon (all on grass), 6 Tue, rest y'day & 15 today. Felt "twinges", so precautionary tubigrip in place now  . . . .

bit fed up now of just drifting along, so time to look for Autumn target race. Trouble is, I can't decide if I'm retired from marathon running, or whether I've (yet another) last one in the legs  . . . . .  

• Track session of 12x400  today. I do these as three sets of 4x400m with 100m jog recovery and 500m jog recovery between sets.

1:30.9,1:29.9,1:25.4,1:25.6,1:26.2,1:27.0,1:25.2,1:25.0,1:27.2,1:25.8,1:25.3,1:25.6

First two were about 90seconds a lap as planned and then the third was fast as there was another user and I sped up to about 85/86 seconds per lap and once I was there it appeared I could hold that pace.

average 1:26.6
    average last 10 1:25.8

• SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭
    There's plenty more left in those legs Birch!

Enjoy the track GD. Jealous!

Abbers, that's a typical midweek session time for me as I'm building up for outlaw but dropped the planned intervals for a progressive run to see how my HR behaved. Metronomic!

Give the park run a whirl Fishy. My local parkrun is Fell Foot at the southern edge of Windermere but haven't run it yet other than as part of an aquathlon.

Recover well Gul and OO.

Club swim session this morning which included 30mins of drills and then an hour of jumping in and out of the pool mid 100m sprint intervals and doing press-ups and V-sit-ups. Great fun.

Fast 30miles on the TTbike this evening and nudged 28 mph on a flat stretch of smooth Tarmac. Bike is a bit twitchy in the wind so need to get some practice in. First tri of the season is on 12th June so not long off! image
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Oh dear, sorry to hear that Birch. I'm refusing to stop training but the problem is still there. Did another 5 miler today, also at plod pace. I'm also thinking about breaking my normal rule and doing an autumn marathon. 

• PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭

GM - strange stuff - good luck with finding the solution

Birch - you absolutely have not retired. OK?

OO - that's the spirit - which mara(s) are you contemplating?

No running here, but shifted 3 tonnes of topsoil by hand this afo so probably quite fit, if wasted. Still expecting to be humiliated by GD image