2016 Marathon Training Thread

Comments

• OlliepopOlliepop ✭✭✭

Evening all. image

Cal: Well done on the 6.2 miles, sounds like a good run, nice pace practice. image
    SC: Nice running the past few days, and good 8 miles tonight, good going. image
    Dr.Dan: Well done on the half marathon, fantastic stuff. image  Best of luck with the triathlon, still thinking about the swim commute as practice? image
    NP: Nice going on the 6 miles, hope your club race was a successful event last night. image
    Sub17: Nice gym session, hope the spin class/treadmill run went well today. image
    Teknik: Nice 9 miles in humid conditions, hope the drizzle has disappeared by now. image
    MG1: Good running from you, hope you enjoyed the easy 4 miles. image
    HM4: Cheers, good luck for your race on Sunday. image
    SM6: Must be upcoming in the next P&D ft. Ollie's (Not-so-)Pearls of Wisdom. image  Good running/tempo work today. image

- - - - - - - - - -

Stockport Mad Hatter Trail Race today, approximately 5 miles, and debuted the burgundy shorts, iciting some fierce debate, but more on that later.
    My first bit of speed work (aside from recent parkruns) since early April, so shall hope to start reintroducing some speedier/tempo workouts after the Great Manchester Run in just over a week.
    I think I finished in 11th place, (waiting for results) in 32:28.69 (according to my watch), my first half was somewhere around 15:57, meaning my second half split would be around 16:32.  A fairly undulating trail race, two lap course with a killer hill half way through, tried to maintain 10th (or what I think is 10th) place but lost out, managed a sprint finish to retain my end position though.
    A guy I know from parkrun came 3rd, so naturally it was only fair to go down to the pub to watch the prize giving ceremony, and as a supporter of local business, it would be rude of me not to imbibe a pint or two alongside a pub meal. image  But well done to him, I think his time was 31:03 but not too sure.

But enough of the race, what about the fashion.  Well I purchased the shorts as my race shirts exceed my shorts by a ratio of 5:1 or something like that (due to races using shirts as their main form of apparel, if I organised a race, there will be shorts, hats, gloves, shades, braces, ostrich feathers, anything but shirts image ), so I decided on buying some red shorts, as I already have my share of blue and black clothing.
    When I got home, the label said burgundy, which is all well and good.  Most other independent spectators are under the impression they are pink; not that there's anything wrong with pink shorts, I think they're rather dashing, so the mystery goes on... image
    But it's a race, not a fashion parade, so black shirt, pink shorts combo, what could be better than that. image  Glad I did the race, think that I could potentially get a look in toward the 31 minute mark next year, if it's held again.  For now, going to continue with the easy runs at decent mileage until a week on Sunday, then start bringing in the faster stuff again. image

Have a good day. image
  • OlliepopOlliepop ✭✭✭

Yellow: Sorry, was typing when you posted, nice going on the seven miles, good luck on the hill repeats tomorrow (I always set my alarm 30 minutes before I intend to get up, so I can hit the snooze button. image )

- - - - - - - - - - 

Hope I didn't bore any of you with the above post, did go on for a while... Oops.
    Have a good day. image

Have a good day. image
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭

Ollie, I think we need a picture of those shorts so we can decide for ourselves! Anyway, well done on the race, and very well done Dr Dan.

6 miles easy today. I went out at 6am and although it was fairly cool still, the humidity was very high. A relaxed and enjoyable run, nonetheless.

• HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Well done guys & thanks.

• TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

HM well done for getting out

Stewart nice easy 5 with JS, and good hill running yesterday

Stuart nice nippy 4m tempo

yellow well done on the evening 7

Ollie haha! Well done on the trail race

Cal nice early 6 miler

---

Bit of a struggle last night - it seemed cooler, with a few spots of rain, but after a couple of miles everyone was sweating buckets.  8.5m with 7m at MP

• I too have a brown/red tshirt from Crathes Half which my wife insists is pink.

I don't care!
    I don't need a tshirt to defend my machoism! imageimageimage

• Night NurseNight Nurse ✭✭✭

Morning quick post on my way to work

track session last night 6 x 1k reps with 2 mins rest  average 4.05-4.10 for each one a love / hate relationships with  these session but I do think 1k reps are the back bone of decent  track sessions I hate messing about with 200/400s so I was pleased when coach  said what the session was going to be I nearly gave up after 5 thinking 5 was enough and slowing down by now but decided to grit my teeth and bang out the 6th I was the only female my so called friends decided to wuss out and go for a run on the road so I was at the back of a very speedy mens session

Legs mashed today so a swim 1 k in 23 mins 40 x 25 m FC joined the local David LLoyd what a treat !! getting it a bit cheaper through NHS  I really didn't like the local gym/ pool since moving  and have been looking for an alternative tried the crossfit place but that is £70 a month for basically  no more than a massive unit full of weights and ropes, you pay for the coaching really ...this DL is handy and on my way to work loads of classes a pool that's always empty , plus a heated outdoor 20 m pool

• Yesterday I struggled through a 60 mins RPM class. I never thought I could sweat that much on an exercise bike. 

Today I ran  2 x 2 mile treadmill runs. The first 2 miler was in 10:57. 30 mins weights  and my second 2 miler was in 11:40.

Tomorrow will be 30 mins weights and  4 miles on treadmill.

Park Run on Saturday.

On Sunday I will run 10km on treadmill, 2km on rowing machine and weights.

Next Sunday I will be running a 12km fun run and my aim is sub 45 mins.

• Stewart - Well done on last nights 8image Yip, half is 2 weeks on Sunday.

Sub 17 - Good training this weekimage

NN - Nice track session, good pace for the ksimage We've never done anything that long in our track sessions. It's usually reps between 38-120 seconds (approx 200-600m for me)

OH - Last years Alloa HM t-shirt was pink, so any given training session of ours they'll be a guy in a pink top. Sadly I don't have one as I done Inverness instead last year...image

Tek - Sounds a tough run in the heat! Well done on getting it done though!image

Cal - Nice early 6image

Ollie - Well done on the race, and sounds a good pub trip afterimage Don't think I'd be brave enough to wear pink shorts though!image

Yellow - Well done on the 7, hope you got out of bed for the hills!image

------------

Just under 11 miles @ 8:15s I think tonight. Need to find a better route until the wind changes direction/dies down. Tough going with 4 of the last 5 in to the wind, especially after running artificially fast for the 1st half...

• Stewart good running yesterday.

NN nice speed session and swim, those reps are certainly paying off

OH nothing wrong with a nice garish colour.

Tek good to get it done , not easy in the conditions.

SM well done for getting through it, still 11 good miles.

7 m earlier in the heat and wind , bugs out in force as well , 5 or 6 m sub 7 min miles so was tough going. unfortunately Garmin lost the run during download plus all the other run history appart from the weekly distance totals which is annoying.

Now Looking forward to the team relay race on sunday, Cotswold Hilly 100. Team of 10 running 10 miles each.
  • OlliepopOlliepop ✭✭✭

Evening. image

Cal: Nice relaxing 6 miles this morning, good stuff. image
    Shorts colour evidence (even more convinced they're burgundy): http://jpksportsphotography.photodeck.com/-/galleries/mad-hatters-trail-race-11-05-16/-/medias/6062c68a-bc7c-452a-8c04-e5961ddb181e

HM4: Thank you. image
    Teknik: Cheers, nice running from you too, sounds a tough 'un. image
    OH: Aha, I'm sure pink (or red/brown) would suit you, embrace your inner flamingo. image
    NN: Nice track session last night, good swim today. image
    Sub17: Nice spin session/treadmill session, enjoy the weights/treadmill tomorrow. image
    SM6: Perhaps you could buy a large wind machine and have it facing opposing the direction of the natural wind to negate the resistance..?  Or not. image  Nice 11 miles anyway, good running in the wind, hopefully the issue will blow over soon. image
    MG1: Nice 7 miles, especially getting a good few sub-7 min/miles in.  Hope the insects didn't bug you too much.  Good luck for Sunday's relay. image

- - - - - - - - - - - 

Just over 7 miles today, early in the morning but still hot, though not unbearably so.  2 miles on pavement, 5 and a bit miles on trail. image

Have a good day. image

Have a good day. image
  • TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

OH LOLimage

NN nice pace for those 1k reps; enjoy the new gym - outdoor pool will be great in the summerimage

Sub17 nice training and good luck for the Saturday parkrunimage

Stuart well done on that 11m MLRimage

MG well done on the 7m in the heat - I wore a yellow top last night and it was a total bug magnetimage

Ollie nice early 7mimage

---

Just shy of 6m tonight, relatively easy, plus some short strides at the end.  image

• Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭

Well they look red to me, Ollie.

• HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Well done guys.

Ollie,

I think it would depend on what the light is like part of me wants to say red but the other a fuschia.

• Red!

most folk at 6s or 7s except Stuart on 11 and NN who fell in the pool.

8.25 last evening and probably last run before Cape Wrath week

• TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

Upcoming Races

15/5/16 Cotswolds Hilly 100m Relay  MG
    15/5/16 Somewhere South 2m           HM4 
    16/5/16 Cape Wrath Half                     Other Half
    18/5/16 John Carr 5k                            Dr Dan

Good luck all !image

OH nice 8.25, enjoy the tripimage

• OlliepopOlliepop ✭✭✭

Morning. image

Teknik: Nice 6 miles. image
    Cal: Thank you for your expert opinion. image
    HM4: Likewise, though I would listen to the part of your that says, 'red.' image
    OH: I knew they were red. image  Nice 8.25 miles yesterday. image

- - - - - - - - - 

4 miles from me, would say more but there's not much more to say. image

Have a good day. image

Have a good day. image
  • StewartCStewartC ✭✭✭

Yellow, I annoy my other half by hitting the snooze button on my phone repeatedly, I am another who also hates getting out of their pit in the morning, well done with the 7 and I hope the hill work on the treadie went well.

Ollie, yeah your shorts are a reddish pink sort of burgundy colour image well done with the race, the 7 yesterday and the easy 4 today

Cal, a nice early morning run, sounds like you enjoyed it

Tek another good MP session and 6 with strides yesterday

NN, another good interval session, I still struggle with pacing I always tend to go off to fast on the first one, well done with the swim looks like the new gym will suit your needs better

SM, a good MLR in the windy conditions, are you going for a time in a fortnight?

MG, crap when the garmin cuts out, I was getting the low battery warnings during the 10k at the weekend, a good speedy session, good luck with the relay at the weekend

OH, nice run before setting off, are you only doing the HM?

HM, Dr Dan, good luck on Sunday

--------------------

Tri club interval session last night, 6 x 0.9m reps at or around 10k pace/effort, it was a little breezy so it did make things a little tricky happy with the overall session, the reps were fairly consistent 7:20 ish reps 1, 3 and 5, 8:0x 2, 4 and 6

rest day today so will go to the gym! and body balance class this evening

• TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

Ollie well done on the 4 miler

Stewart nice set of reps with the Tri club; have fun at the gym

---

3.75m recovery jog at lunchtimeimage

• Stewart - Well done on the interval session, hope you make the gym tonightimage As for Edinburgh, depends on the wind really as it's an exposed coastal route. If we get the same wind we've had the past few days, then the 1st 11 miles will be into a stiff headwind and the time won't be pretty. If it's a good day, maybe have a shout at sneaking under 1:26.

Ollie - Yeah, though as definitely red, which I'm sorta disappointed by! Well done on the uneventful 4image

OH - Nice 8 milesimage Good luck for the Cape Wrath weekimage

MG - Sounds a good run last night, excluding technological issues. Good luck for the relay with the clubimage

Tek - Well done on the 6image

Good luck HM and Dr Dan

------

Just going to go out for 4-6 miles easy soon. Would usually go to the gym on a Friday, but going to the football tonight so I'll do that tomorrow after my morning run.

Got an ambitious plan for tomorrow (11 miles including a run up a 420m hill) but might just end up at parkrun...

• For Ollie:
    Red - the blood of angry men! 
    Black - the dark of ages past! 
    Red - a world about to dawn! 
    Black - the night that ends at last! 

• Night NurseNight Nurse ✭✭✭

Sub17 those bike sessions are not for the faint hearted ! I did one once the day after a 20 miler thinking it would  be a nice recovery ... WRONG !!! hope the plan goes to plan 

SC the longest we do are 1200s ! the first 400@ 10k pace the next 4@5k pace the next 4 @ 3k pace then 2 mins rest .. seriously good for half marathon / marathon training well done on the 11 miler ! running into the wind on the last few miles is hard going , and I look forward to seeing what you decide  to do tomorrow !!!

MG1 good luck for Sunday sounds fun

Ollie nice to keep it simple ! nice 4,

Tek nice 6 and nice recovery and please add my next race to the list Run Exe 4k relay 20th may then Bampton to Tiverton 7 miler on 30th may 

SC nice tri session ... rest day and going to the gym  !!! ha ha !! sounds like my rest days ! they dont really happen 

13.25 in 1 hour 52 just under 8.30 pace today horrible and humid

• StewartCStewartC ✭✭✭

SM, I jope the run this evening went well and the hilly run tomorrow sounds like a brute, enjoy which ever you choose

NN, a cracking MLR, not so hot up here getting a bit colder over the weekend

--------

I did body pump instead tonight legs and arm are like jelly now, it should make tomorrow's run interesting

• yellow52yellow52 ✭✭✭
    Sub17: some good varied training there. Never done a spin class but seen the state of the missus after one.

MG: hate it when the Garmin fails. Hope you didn't swallow any of those bugs!

Ollie: I say scarlet!

Tek: good 6m yesterday and recovery today, and good work keeping tabs on all the upcoming races.

SM: hope the football was good. Your 11miler - assume you mean the hill is 420m ascent (not 420m long), in which case that is definitely ambitious, good luck.

NN: those intervals sound brutal!

SC: bodypump sounds like you're setting yourself up for some serious DOMS tomorrow, hope the run goes OK regardless image

Good luck MG, HM4, OH and DrDan!

------------

True to form, I just hit snooze on Thursday morning, and was home late that night, so the treadmill hills had to wait until tonight:

6 repetitions alternating 90s @ 6% and 60s @ 7%, all at MP with 90s recovery between + WU & CD for 5miles total.
  • No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭

Lots of reading back some great training and racing go on in the heat and rain, nice to see HM4 getting a couple of miles done and Ollie great race report and photo but I think your shorts are red not pinkimage Had a number of issues with my car this week the garage that had supposedly done my breaks last weekend only did the front and it failed its MOT took it to another place and was horrified to see the state of the back brakes anyway all sorted now but it stopped me getting out on Wednesday so did my normal 6 on Thursday and a easy 4 with strides yesterday. Will target 17:45-17:30 in the Parkrun this morning.

MG enjoy the Cotswolds Hilly 100m is it on a loop?
    HM4 Enjoy the Somewhere South 2m run. 
    OH Good luck with the Cape Wrath Half should have great views in the sunshine.
    DR DAN enjoy the John Carr 5k  run eyeballs out.

• OlliepopOlliepop ✭✭✭

Quick pop in.

Hope everybody has been running/cycling/swimming/etc.-ing well today. image
    Well done to any parkrunners today, best of luck to the racers over the weekend/coming week. image

- - - - - - - - - - 

3 mile jog to Burnage parkrun.

Then parkrun (18:56 (18:56.22 - watch time)), looking promising; glad I'm back at sub-19, gonna start speed work up again in a couple of weeks, so I think that time can come down further in future. image

Then 3 mile jog back, for 9.1 miles total.

Have a good day. image

Have a good day. image
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭

NN, can't say I'm not a bit jealous of your pace there. Good stuff.

NP - same, really! Sorry about your car.

Nice intervals, yellow.

After an easy(ish) day yesterday with just yoga, I hit Tooting Common for parkrun number three. Cooler than last time - long sleeves again.

There were 452 runners today, so I ran into a bit of congestion on the first lap, resulting in a slower first mile than last week at 8:46. Managed 8:34 for mile 2 and then 8:38 for mile 3. By this point I was slightly behind my PB and didn't have much left but I kept pushing and was amazed to come home with a 10 second PB at 26:42. Somehow I managed to make up those 11 seconds in the last .1 of a mile. My lungs are still burning. image

No parkrun next week as I have Clapham Common 10K. My PB for that is currently 55:19 and I don't think I'll beat that as it was a road race, whereas Clapham Common is mostly grass and can also be windy. But we'll see. Mostly I'm going to use it as a warm-up for Osterley Park 10K which is three weeks later.

• tricialitttricialitt ✭✭✭

Good park running CJ- Tooting is close to where I grew up-I don't miss it. Scotland is a great place to run!

NP- how they get away with  some of these thing in the car trade eludes me- I have been scammed in the past, more than once.

I've tried both body pump, and spin bikes as cross trainig- both hurt like hell- I'd rather run unless I'm injured.

Well done on the intervals, guys- my least favourite bit of P&D!

I am still recovering from the Fling- managed to (mostly walk) up a steep hilly route on thursday, and run back down- it was glorious sunshine up here.

Today, I went for a (probably ill-advised) 19 mile recce run on the route of my next ultra- I'm probably a bit sunburnt, as well as fairly knackered now- I was really feeling it by the end!- Not as well recovered as I thought!

I've just booked all my hotels/ ferries for my next marathon- Arran on 25th june, so going over on the ferry the night before, and staying in a posh hotel- the marathon is a stand- alone event that takes place at the same time/ place as th erun stage of an ironman, so at least I will be one of the fresher runners on route. It is said to be a flat course, so I'll try to run it for a time, rather than as a trainig run like ll my other marathons in the last 3 years.

• NP hope the car nightmares are sorted, nice quick parkrun today?

Ollie great time at the parkrun, sure there will be more to come.

Cal super PB

Tri thats a long run to do so soon, hope the legs are okay.

Nice and easy today down to and round the Park Run, another bumper turnout at over 800 today. Resting up for the relay race tomorrow in the Cotswolds. On leg 5 which is fairly flat so looking for a time of 1:04 - 1:05 for my 10 miles . Race starts at 7am so going to be a long day. NP race goes out into the Cotswolds with separate legs each so a bit of logistical challenge getting runners to the start and end of each leg.
  • TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

Stuart hope you enjoyed the footie

NN well done on the 13.25m - nice pace in the heat

Stewart well done on the gym class

yellow nice hill session on the treadmill

NP glad you got the car sorted, hope the parkrun went well

Ollie great parkrun time, and good mileage there and back

Cal PB !image Excellent !

Tricia well done for getting in the 19m

MG good luck for tomorrow

---

9.5m this morning with the club, including a steady 7m around the parks @ 8mmimage