Sub 3h15

Comments

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

PMJ - good track session there. My 3.89 mile warm-up does include some strides and stretches, but maybe I ought to experiment and shorten it a bit.
    Abbers - I can sympathise with busy Saturday mornings! How did the time trial go?
    GD - hope you enjoyed the pyramid session.
    Birch - take care of that calf. I'm feeling a bit anxious about White Peak. I'm sure the ankle will be okay, but the last few weeks have been very light. We shall see.
    Poacher - I'm just sat at a desk most of the day, so you are gaining on me at the momentimage
    Went out earlier to see how my ankle was, but after a few hundred metres I knew it still wasn't quite right so canned it again. Time for more strengthening exercises again...

• Fish52Fish52 ✭✭✭

I have also looked at the Fell Foot Park Run Slokey, but it would mean about a 12 mile drive. Mind you, it's 6-7 to Lancaster. I've registered and printed off a bar code, so we'll see. Nifty training session for you!

The Park Run is in Williamson Park Abbers (nice venue for a wedding!) and it's no PB course, with hills and steps to boot. I'm about 6 miles north of Lancaster, but it is a great city.

More smokin' reps there PMJ.

I hope that your calf difficulties ease up soon Birch and OO.

I have to say that I'm looking forward to the thread dual at the White Peak Marathon. I've never shifted soil as part of my taper Poacher and I hope that your ankle responds to the strength work Gul.

• FreemersFreemers ✭✭✭

Catching up after not being able to get onto the forum all week.

SJ - wow that was some epic Fred Whitton! No wonder you puked image

Great 400 reps PMJ

I'm definitely not up for any speed work yet.  Even 8min/mile feels quick at the moment.  I'm going to keep doing steady pace for another week or so and then introduce something a bit speedier. 

Anyone racing this weekend?

• rodeofliprodeoflip ✭✭✭

Hi Fishy1 - 6 miles North of Lancaster would put you around Carnforth somewhere? My normal long run is from Carnforth - Morecambe - Lancaster with a few other optional loops (e.g.- Aldcliffe / Caton) to mix up the distance. You're lucky to live there, there are so many options to run on decent surfaces (promenades / canal paths / cycle paths / etc.) without cars. Maybe see you out there sometime?

• Gul Darr wrote (see)

PMJ - good track session there. My 3.89 mile warm-up does include some strides and stretches, but maybe I ought to experiment and shorten it a bit.

A lot depends on what you want to do. If this is a one off attempt at a parkrun PB, then close to 4 miles will take a toll. If it is just a fast tempo run in training then it does no harm. I juggle my parkruns, so can run to the closest one and back and that is about 8 to 9 miles in total, or drive close by and do 5 miles total, or go to a further away one that is about 16 in total.

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

Some good runs bubbling up for some. Looking forward to more reports.

Second session post-marathon last night. First track session in about a month.
    Knocked out a pyramid session comprising 2,4,6,8,10,12,10,8,6,4,2 (00s) all at 6.40 pace, plus 2 all out 200m blasts to finish.

Surprised that my warm-up mile when I got there came in at 7.19 pace and that my effort average pace was actually 6.30. Felt very comfy, indeed, I found myself as the lead pacer shouting out how many seconds ahead we were for each rep.

The final all out  2 x 200m efforts were 31 and 35 seconds. I'll take that.

Left hammy grumbled a bit but didn't really deter me, just need to keep rolling it and see where the Nordic Strength exercises get me.

Coach reckons he can get me to sub-3 for Berlin but I'm not so sure. That's a massive leap from 3.11 in just 5 months. I'll be happy with a sub-3.10.

Another marathon tomorrow, of sorts. Mate's 50th. A bunch of us are traipsing around London's swankiest drinking establishments. I'm not beer fit right now so it will be a poor performance and the wall is imminent. Looking forward to a recovery run on Sunday. image

GD

• G-Dawg, I like a pyramid session but I do find them hard. 6:40 pace is 100 seconds a lap or 25 seconds per 100m, so that works out

200m  50 seconds
    400m 100 seconds
    600m 150 seocnds
    1200m 300 seconds

and back. The first 200 must feel very easy and then it just gets harder, and coming back down the other side is the testing part.

Do you do them like that, even all the way?

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

Fishy - 6-7 there and back plus park run could make a nice MLR or LR.
    Freemers - you'll benefit from a few weeks of rest and easy running.
    PMJ - I've found I definitely need more than a mile before moving up a gear otherwise I just implode. Maybe 2 is plenty. Best to experiment a bit and see what works best for me.
    GD - good pyramid session. Enjoy the celebrations tomorrow.
    I went for a walk this lunchtime and thought I'd got myself lost down a previously unexplored footpath, but found a main road eventually. 3 miles in 35 mins. Ankle seems fine, so maybe on for a run tomorrow.

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

PMJ: Yes, we do. Coach said we had to do even splits at 6.40 pace. As I said, we ended up doing them all at 6.30 pace. I felt fine and ended up at the front on the downside of the pyramid and I kept us to strict 45 sec recoveries.

GD

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Lausanne Marathon in October is definitely an option. Any recommendation for something a bit flatter/faster in UK very welcome.

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

OO: Not in the UK but later this year (December) is Pisa. My mate did it a couple of years ago. I was amazed how flat it was. His Garmin reported only 56ft of elevation gain. The run profile was ridiculously flat. He got really cheap flights and hotel, too.

GD

• BirchBirch ✭✭✭

Chester has good reports  . . . . .

• AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

PMJ - good set of 400s.

SJ - nice swim & bike double.

Poacher - excellent x training! What exactly is happening in your garden?

Gul - take care of that ankle - hope the issues improve.

Fishy - certainly no PBs to be had in Lancaster then! Probably decent for a strength/hills workout though.

Freemers - how's the new job going?

GD - "beer fit" is a good concept. Have an excellent weekend!

So yesterday's 5k time trial told me what I already know, namely that I haven't run hard over that distance for a number of years and there's work to be done! A 20:25 means I have a benchmark if nothing else, but that's well outside my 5 mile PB pace, so needs some adjusting over the coming weeks when I hope to make it a regular session in place of a more mundane tempo run of 4-6 miles. It was humid & windy, and I was nursing my quads a little after cricket last weekend rather than really stretching out, but even so, there's a lot of scope for improvement.

• PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭

OO - Abingdon is arguably the fastest autumn mara in the UK. But see: http://marathons.ahotu.com/calendar/marathon/europe/fast

Amsterdam? Cologne? Hull? You have to admit that "it's never dull in Hull".

Abbers - sorry to see that B Stokes pipped you to the all-rounder berth for the test.

Gul - look after yourself, if WP turns into a slow jog through the countryside it would still be a decent day out, you are in good shape and have nothing to prove.

Fishy1 wrote (see)

I have to say that I'm looking forward to the thread dual at the White Peak Marathon. I've never shifted soil as part of my taper Poacher and I hope that your ankle responds to the strength work Gul.

Looks like it's Gul's ankle v. my knackered body, could be a sprint to the line on zimmers. I came quite close to breaking a pickaxe this afternoon, such was the scale of the roots on the world's biggest honeysuckle.  Working outdoors is better than being a desk monkey, but boy it can be hard when you are an OGIT. image

• Bike ItBike It ✭✭✭
    2000km for the year to date recorded in the training log with today's 20km. That's 1243 miles in real numbers.

Tapering means I've just stopped running doubles and will take the first rest day of the taper tomorrow. (actually continuing with bathroom demolition)

I concur that moving earth is hard. I had a summer job building swimming pools - I had to fill a ten ton skip daily with earth.
  • SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭
    Hard core mileage BI (and sounds like you shifted plenty of hardcore to fill thy skip)

Nearly smackdown time!!! Yay!!!

I quite fancy Valencia or Venice as an Autumn race - nicer than a grim UK October weekend.

Pleasant progressive 8miler from easy to target IM marathon pace tonight followed half an hour later by my first foray into Windermere. 20 of us doing mass start and pack swimming practice in 11 degree water. Bracing.
  • BadbarkBadbark ✭✭✭

Just a flying visit to report that  I ran 11.5 miles today including a 38:42 10k on a tough course. Tomorrow I intend to run over 30 miles including a Parkrun as ultra marathon training. It’s just 2 weeks to my next marathon and 4 to the 100k. Have a great weekend everyone!image

• Any interesting races going on for anyone this weekend ?

Getting fed up of my knee problems now, ran the lymington 10k last weekend, but finished in a fairly poor 41:31 and put myself back to where I was knee pain wise. Had to abandon the one attempt to run this week and have now learned the lesson that I need to stop running for a while to let it heal properly.

Went to see a sports physio who analysed everything and told me the reason is my minor glutes and piriformis muscles are under developed. My leg is not held straight when I run and my left knee cap points out slightly and takes damage because of it and the marathon just tipped it over the edge. Also apparently when I run, I run with my hamstrings firing before my glutes.

Anyway I have stretches and strengthening exercises to do and am not running for the next week. I am not a happy camper as running is the only thing that keeps me relatively sane. Am trying to compensate with cycling but its not the same. Hopefully by next weekend I can get back out there. First time I have ever had to stop running due to injury, very depressing.

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

Abbers - a benchmark as you say and you'll soon be improving with some consistent speedwork.
    If you like the East Coast but Hull is not your thing, how about Mablethorpe? However, they really must do something about the last few miles through a housing estate which seem ramble aimlessly.
    Poacher - that must be good mental preparation!
    Bike It - good miles. All that XT is paying off. Be careful in the bathroom.
    SJ - sounds like torture. Well done on braving the cold water.
    Badbark - excellent 10k. Enjoy the ultra training.
    JT - I feel your frustration. Sounds like a good physio though. Stick with the exercises and it'll be worth it.
    Day 3 off. Went out for a run earlier but still wasn't quite right. I was sorely tempted just to carry on for a few easy miles but managed to stop and come home instead. This is when I start thinking that I am beginning to lose fitness and start panicking.

• Fish52Fish52 ✭✭✭

Followed your lead Rodeoflip, with 16 this morning taking in the towpaths, Lune trail and promenade, accompanied by excellent Bay views. Quite a milestone, being the furthest endurance run since Oct 14. No hip pain and 38.5 for the week so far.

Now, I realise that Bike It and Badbark cover that in a couple of days!

Post marathon strength and speed is certainly a great feeling GDawg - looking good.

I'm not sure that you'd find me swimming in Windermere at this time of the year, Slokey - rowing boat, maybe!

Take it easy Gul. There's time for your calf to recover and any fitness loss will be minimal at this stage of your campaign.

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

Hello, thread.  Work has been a bit too busy this week, so not much forum time, but I've been lurking quietly.

Popped along to our rather brutal parkrun this morning (Ashton Court). Reached the halfway point (top of hill) in about 11 dead and finished in 19.52, equalling my course best.  Should have pushed a bit more on the way up, or kicked on the way back!  Still, shows me that I'm starting to find my way back into shape.  

JT: I too am on the glute exercises.  Should hit 45M this week, and more clams and single-leg squats than I care to remember.

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Abbingdon and Chester could be possibles- thanks guys

18:50 parkrun on a dodgy calf- I'm sure I'll pay for this later. 

• Good reps from both PMJ and G-Dawg. My only option (that I can run to from home) for track reps is on the grass track on the local school playing field - might have to look at the best option for a proper track session.

Well done on the sub-20 at Ashton Ct Jools - sounds as though things are clicking back into place. What's the racing plan over the summer?

Decent parkrun from you as well OO - I've got a sneaking suspicion that Abingdon is now full up (I think I just made it a couple of days before they hit the maximum) but they run a good waiting list and are happy for people to swap numbers. Hope your calf is OK.

Sounds like there are a few niggles out there at the moment - perhaps a good opportunity to get the bike out instead?

Impressive 10K there Badbark - hope your 30 miler goes well.

Like you, I've got a 100K run coming up, albeit a week after yours, so I also decided to go long this morning. My route covered Box Hill and Leith Hill, together with a 1 in 5 stretch about 2 miles from home, and in the end I had about 4.5 hours on my feet for just over 31 miles which also took me to just over 1,000miles for the year so far.

Clearly not exactly marathon pace, but I wanted to try a combination of ultra shuffle (copyright Poacher) and a run-walk strategy so had a walking break to take a gel every hour or so. Seemed to work out OK as I felt pretty comfortable at the end although I had to remind myself that the race itself is over double that distance, and at least as hilly. 

The only downside was that I finished with a very stiff lower right calf - it was a little bit stiff at the start but I thought I'd run it off. I now just need to think about the ideal shoes to wear - I wore my Hitogamis today but they're a light racing shoe and this pair have got over 300miles in them. Any thoughts as to the best kind of shoe to where for a 2/3 on road, 1/3 off road 100K ultra?

Good luck to anyone racing tomorrow.

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

OO - Jersey autumn marathon is flat and fast! imageimage

• PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭

Lorenzo - top shuffling! - the sign of an ultra sage. Not looked at the route in detail but IMO there has to be a very good reason not to wear road shoes. Nothing too light. Comfort is king as a niggle which doesn't matter over 31m would drive you mad over the full Monty.  Gaffer tape is useful for re-attaching loose toenails. Or just carry pliers. 

New Parkrun for me today - Druridge Bay, Northumberland, nice route round a lake, 20.29, nothing special but fastest PR for 18 months.  And what a beach - one of the most spectacular stretches of golden sand in the UK. Like Cape Cod but cheaper to get to. OO have you run this one?

• SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭
    Sounds like a nice venue Poacher. Coming into a bit of speed just before the smackdown. image

Don't worry about losing fitness at this stage Gul. You'll just be fresher on the start line.

Nice running Lorenzo. For any off road ultras I've used Salomon S-lab sense Ultra which are the finest trail shoe I've ever owned by a clear margin. Just not great on wet rocks. If you are mostly on road and it is dry then I'd agree with Poacher and stick to your normal road shoes.

75min TT bike session followed immediately by 2hrs of very hilly trail running this evening.
  • Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭

Badbark -how was the 30 miler ?

Jason - only the first injury, we all have em ,some more than others ! Get well soon

Gul- don't sweat it ,rest is the best medicine now though not the easiest to take !

Lorenzo- nice 31 miler image

Poacher- on the up again with that parkrun image

Slokey- nice double 

rest day today ...

• 19:41 at parkrun this morning, all going in the right direction but two track sessions and a parkrun in one week mean that I have to look at the investment now and rewards later. Foot now hurts like I bashed it (which I don't recall doing) so just hoping it is just a bruise.

Lots of good long runs going on: can't quite face it myself yet: am glad when the Garmin gets up to 7 or 8 and I'm done.

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    You are right Lorenzo Abindon is full, but far for me anyway.

Good running guys, have a good running weekend
  • SJ - Did you say that you also had a pair of Hoka Cliftons? I tried on a pair of Clifton 2s in the running shop today and they felt really comfortable. What do you reckon they'd be like for an ultra?

Sounds like a glorious parkrun Poacher - very jealous of you folks up in the NE. 

On non-running news, headline of the day is that the mighty Maidstone Utd clinched promotion to the Conference National League winning the play off on penalties - only another 4 or 5 seasons and they could be in the Champions League! image