Bit of a downer

Hi all,

Having started running a few weeks
ago and really loving getting on the road after eighteen months of being
a regular gym user I've hit a bit of a wall.

I'd been doing really well and had managed 10k a few times then last
week started getting a real severe pain in my right knee; which I could
not run off.

On Thursday I went to the Runners Shop in Beckenham where the man was incredibly helpful saying that I was
a severe overpronator on my left foot and he sorted me out with some Aasics Foundation motion control shoes.

Went for a short run on Friday and
managed OK during the run but at the end of it was in a lot of pain,

Went to a sports physio on Saturday;
and ws told that I had not been stretching my calf muscles sufficiently and that was also making my foot strike at the wrong angle and this combined with the wrong shoes I had been using had caused tendinitis in the knee.

Although I'm relieved it's nothing too
serious and I hope they will
they will be able to sort me out;
it's all very frustrating when I drive past placecs and think to myself "I could run to here a couple of weeks
ago"

Any words of wisdom please following this wallow in self pity!

Chris

Comments

• Unfortunately the inevitable consequence of physical activity and worse still a repetitive physical activity are that from time to time you will get injured.

Comforting to note that you seem to have taken all the right steps and addressed the cause rather than the result. If you rest sufficiently you will soon get back to full training and be much wiser for the experience.

We've all done it at some point or other but thankfully its rarely permanent - try setting out some goals or a training plan ready for your comeback that will give you something to look forward too when you're running again.

Alternatively, if you want some therapy on how we sometimes worry too much about minor ailments, read Caths thread on the general forum.
  • Martin,
    Thanx for the advice

Chris
  • I suffer really badly with my knees. I am lucky because I have a wonderful trainer and physio. I'd try some cross training if I were you just to keep your fitness up while your not running. Don't worry you'll be back on the road soon.
  • Chris

It's time to hit the pool.

Three sessions a week of 45 mins should keep you in good CV form. I know it's cold in there, and nobody thinks they can swim well, but you will get a tremendous amount of fully supported exercise in there.

Buy a "Pull-Buoy" to hold between your knees as you swim, allowing you to drag your legs and immobilise your knees. Only a few quid, and you will look like a top triathlete.

Good luck!

Gavin
  • Chris

Sad fact of life we all over extend from time to time & so go backwards.

The good news is that you've done all the right things & the even better news is that with a rest & a gradual build back up you'll soon be passing places thinking "I couldn't run here a couple of weeks ago"

Good luck
  • Hi all,

Thanks for the advice and support guys;
    went to the gym last night and did some
    work on the bike which seemed to help
    and some gentle treadmill work
    (walking) The knee felt better for being
    used. It's when I sit for any length of time;
    ie at my desk at work that seems to make things worse.

Thanks again everybody

Chris

• PS Gavin;

Thanks for the tip about swimming; I've got fairly bad psoriasis at the moment so
    can't really face it. Will certainly give it a
    bash though when the lurgy clears a bit.

Cheers

Chris
  • Hi All,

Gess wot!! I'm running again! Went to
    the phsyio on Saturday and she said the
    knee was much improved and the calf
    stretching exercises had paid off and so
    I could start again as long as I tried to avoid hills and didn't go too mad and concentrated on my running technique
    rather than speed

Bought some Sorbothane insoles and they really help save the knees from the
    punishment.

Did a 3 and a 4K over the weekend and this morning did half an hour (about 5K)
    and the knee held up really well with no
    real pain just aching a bit.

Thanks for all the advice and support
    guys it really was a great morale booster.

This has been my first experience of a running injury and obviously the pain was out of all proportion to it's real seriousness but at first I really thought I wouldn't be able to run any more.

Chris

Chris

Chris

• Chris
    Great news, now don't go mental with the excitement or you'll be back where you started.

One of the things running has taught be is patience (which is strange when it's objective is to get to places quicker!) a strong build up works better and lasts longer than a collection of dashes (speaks someone who did a half marathon a few years ago on the back of one 6 mile run in the 6 months prior to the race - I didn't say I'd learned only that I'd been taught :-) )
  • Chris
    Great news, now don't go mental with the excitement or you'll be back where you started.

One of the things running has taught me ispatience (which is strange when it's objective is to get to places quicker!) a strong build up works better and lasts longer than a collection of dashes (speaks someone who did a half marathon a few years ago on the back of one 6 mile run in the 6 months prior to the race - I didn't say I'd learned only that I'd been taught :-) )
  • Chris

One of the things running has taught me ispatience (which is strange when it's objective is to get to places quicker!) a strong build up works better and lasts longer than a collection of dashes (speaks someone who did a half marathon a few years ago on the back of one 6 mile run in the 6 months prior to the race - I didn't say I'd learned only that I'd been taught :-) )