Comrades 2016

Comments

• Sorry - I did interview about 150 people, and had nearly another 100 stories emailed in, and stuck a voice recorder under the noses of a number of other people that I met at various parkruns, and I did manage to mention a fair number of events, but I just couldn't include all of them!

Glad you enjoyed the book. image

• DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭

Debra - I'd love to buy a book from you in SA.  

• You're forgiven!

• Dannirr: no problem!  

• Quick check in, away with holiday in Malta (some good hills) then busy with work. Last few hill sessions and nearly done. Is next weekend single digit mileage?

Can't edit the list on an iPad if someone could update for me?

Am I the only one doing the lovely Paris flights in big Air France A380 (again )? Nice fast flights and loads of space.

19:45 from Manchester, 22:10 Paris I think. In Joburg 10am, Durban 1:15pm.. Staying at Hilton, sharing a room with Dave.

If there's still space, can you put me and my roommate Dave down for Spiga. Assume there is no runners world pasta thing this year?

Not liking the sound of the weather forecast.
  • Peter RPeter R ✭✭✭

Did a kit check this morning and I forgot to bring my UK running vest to Angola ... aaarrrggghhh,  If I get it send to anyone on the Forum would they be happy to hand carry it into SA and I can pick it up from them ... as an international runner I found using the UK vest (from previous years forums) really helped with support.

If you are ok to help, please PM me?

• PG3PG3 ✭✭✭

Peter no problem, i can help. I am getting there on the Wed night and staying in the Hilton so should be easy to meet up. 

• PG3PG3 ✭✭✭

I have messaged you my address and contact details Peter

• lowrezlowrez ✭✭✭

Departing Thu 19th May
    Emirates MAN-DXB-DUR (Fri 20): zuluboy
    BA LHR-JNB: (Fri 20): Terry48

Departing Sat 21st May
    SAA MAN-DXB-DUR arr 09:50 (Sun 22): justanothrrnr

Departing Tue 24th May
    Emirates LHR-DXB-DUR arr 16:45 (Wed 25): PG3
    BA55 LHR-JNB 19:05 arr DUR 10:05 (Wed 25) via BA6203/Comair: John1946
    LAD-JNB 14:05 JNB-DUR (Wed 25) 10.55 (SA547): Peter R

Departing Wed 25th May
    VS601 LHR 20:05 arr JNB 07:55 (Thu 26) BA6211/Comair JNB 12:30 arr DUR 13:35:McHilly, Slow Duck, Wilfmannion
    ATL-JNB overnight stay JNB 13:35 (Thu 26) arr DUR 14:45: Dannirr
    Emirates BHX 21:20 arr DXB 07:15 (Thu 26) DXB 10:25 arr DUR 16:45: Becca7
    BA55 LHR 19:05 arr JNB 07:05 (Thu 26) JNB 09:00 arr DUR 10:05 Comair: PATRICIAhopeful, lambkin, Mr K
    BA57 LHR 21:20 arr JNB 09:05 (Thu 26) BA6211/Comair JNB 12:30 arr DUR 13:35:Mac3
    Emirates LGW-DXB-DUR arr 16:45 (Thu 26): Debra Bourne, Old Shadowfax
    Air France CDG 23.25 arr JNB 09:55 (Thu 26) Mango JNB 1600 arr DUR 17:10: Marty74
    Emirates MAN 21:15 arr DXB 07:25 (Thu 26) DXB 10:25 arr DUR 16:45: Grumpy Penguin
    Air France MAN 19:45 arr PAR 22:10 JNB 10:00 (Thu 26) arr DUR 13:15: Fit-Running-Cat

Departing Thu 26th May
    Emirates MAN 21:15 arr DXB 07:25 (Fri 27) DXB 10:25 arr DUR 16:45: lowrez, Sky Blue Arab + crew
    arr DUR (Fri 27) 13:35: XXX Lex XXX

Departing Fri 27th May
    Mango JE253 JNB 13:35 arr DUR 14:45 (Fri 27): Bike It

Hotels
    City Lodge: McHilly, becca7, Slow Duck, Marty74, Sky Blue Arab + crew
    Hilton: PG3, Dannirr, lowrez, XXX Lex XXX, PATRICIAhopeful, lambkin, Phil Sumner 2, Wilfmannion
    Elangeni: John1946
    Belaire Suites: Debra Bourne, Terry48, Grumpy Penguin
    Blue Water: Mr K
    Umhlanga: zuluboy(M&D), Mac3, Peter R (Pearls Apartments)
    Morningside: justanothrrnr(M&D)
    64 On Gordon: Bike It

Fri Night Spiga Dinner
    justanothrrnr, PG3, Becca7 + 2 (Judith and Rob), Marty74, Mc Hilly, Mr K, Terry48 + 2, PATRICIAhopeful + Oliver, Mac3 + 1, zuluboy, Dannirr, Bike It, John 1946 + 1, lambkin, Slow Duck, Wilfmannnion, Debra Bourne, Fit-Running-Cat + 1 (Dave)

Parkrun – DFYB!
    North Beach -
    Mr K, Mc Hilly, Dannirr, zuluboy, PATRICIAhopeful, Slow Duck, Debra Bourne, justanothrrnr
    Umhlanga -

• lowrezlowrez ✭✭✭

PG3 - Same flights, but possibly not the same day? Hope your troosers are more resilient a week on Sunday image

justanothrrnr - Good van dodging! You are still in the game! Quite right - if I am still on my feet and in time I will taxi it over to Spiga image need those carbs!

Fit-Running-Cat - What day do you fly? I assumed Wednesday.

• PG3PG3 ✭✭✭

Lowrez - i hope so too.  My kids came down with chicken pox today and i smashed and broke my phone yesterday.  Bit stressed.  I hope they are better by the time i go on Tuesday night.

• lowrezlowrez ✭✭✭

Crazy days PG3! - Hang on in there! Nice hot relaxing run a week on Sunday is the recommended treatment for you. Kids have plenty of time to shake off their ills prior to Tuesday - hope they are not suffering too much. I purchased a bouncy protector thingy for my phone months back - I better stick it on, so now you have an excuse to go and get a nice shiny new phone with mega camera for your trip image.

• Mac3Mac3 ✭✭✭

Old Shadowfax - may see you at the beer tent then at Saturday's 10k event! I'll bring up one of the patches in case we manage to bump into each other.

Talking of near collisions, I almost had one too some weeks back on a pedestrian crossing on a commute run.  A car shot through on the inside lane to turn right into Jamaica Rd with the green man showing on the pedestrian crossing.  I had set off and something made me check left (which you'd never normally do) and I had to push myself against the car as it came through.  I was able to give a few choice words to the driver as the traffic was stationary on the main road.   No apology mind you.  At least a pedestrian behind me snapped the number plate and the crossing had a camera.  I duly reported it but don't know if he got the 3 points!  More to the point no damage was done, despite being a fraction of a second from game over.......

Lowrez - I'll fly the flag or patch at Umhlanga Park Run if you are updating your list again.  It just so happens I'm only 1km from the start.

Zuluboy - you mentioned you plan to drive in to Spiga on the Friday evening.  Perhaps myself (and Cristina) can join you or else share a taxi.  I'm staying at a place called Temerok Marine in Marine Drive.

• marty74marty74 ✭✭✭

FRC - i think i am on the same air france flight as you on the wednesday night. Might see you in departures somewhere. And i hope you haven't jinxed by saying its an empty flight, got lucky last year so yes fingers crossed it will be the same this time around.

• PG3 hope kids okay.

Lowrez (and Marty sadly) Tuesday night air France for me. Lovely easy stress free flight last time.

13ish hrs flying in 3 flights, 3 hrs waiting 16. 5 hrs. Dubai is 16.5 hours flying with 3 hrs wait...Very tiring. Getting there Wednesday means nice and fresh, and early at the expo.

North beach park run for me which was glacial last time.. run/ walk. My usual 20 was more like 40.

I'm on the same tour as Dannirr on the Friday morning... If list making is happening. image
  • lowrezlowrez ✭✭✭

Past issues with AirFrance mean they'll get no custom from me I just don't consider them anymore because of issues like this. I didn't see that coming way back when I booked my flights but the possibility is always there. I hope you guys are not affected!

• Tuesday sounds okay image

Anyone just do the Coach Parry webinar?
  • marty74marty74 ✭✭✭

Yep. Very interesting. Trying to get my head around running the first 27k or so very easy and not worrying too much about losing time. Just cant wait to get there now.

• Mac, no problem at all. Give me a shout when you arrive.

Those strikes sound a bit nasty. Keep updated below

http://www.easytravelreport.com/AIRLINE-HISTORY/HISTORY-AIRFRANCE.html
  • lowrezlowrez ✭✭✭

Departing Thu 19th May
    Emirates MAN-DXB-DUR (Fri 20): zuluboy
    BA LHR-JNB: (Fri 20): Terry48

Departing Sat 21st May
    SAA MAN-DXB-DUR arr 09:50 (Sun 22): justanothrrnr

Departing Tue 24th May
    Emirates LHR-DXB-DUR arr 16:45 (Wed 25): PG3
    BA55 LHR-JNB 19:05 arr DUR 10:05 (Wed 25) via BA6203/Comair: John1946
    LAD-JNB 14:05 JNB-DUR (Wed 25) 10.55 (SA547): Peter R
    Air France MAN 19:45 arr PAR 22:10 JNB 10:00 (Wed 25) arr DUR 13:15: Fit-Running-Cat

Departing Wed 25th May
    VS601 LHR 20:05 arr JNB 07:55 (Thu 26) BA6211/Comair JNB 12:30 arr DUR 13:35:McHilly, Slow Duck, Wilfmannion
    ATL-JNB overnight stay JNB 13:35 (Thu 26) arr DUR 14:45: Dannirr
    Emirates BHX 21:20 arr DXB 07:15 (Thu 26) DXB 10:25 arr DUR 16:45: Becca7
    BA55 LHR 19:05 arr JNB 07:05 (Thu 26) JNB 09:00 arr DUR 10:05 Comair: PATRICIAhopeful, lambkin, Mr K
    BA57 LHR 21:20 arr JNB 09:05 (Thu 26) BA6211/Comair JNB 12:30 arr DUR 13:35: Mac3
    Emirates LGW-DXB-DUR arr 16:45 (Thu 26): Debra Bourne, Old Shadowfax
    Air France CDG 23.25 arr JNB 09:55 (Thu 26) Mango JNB 1600 arr DUR 17:10: Marty74
    Emirates MAN 21:15 arr DXB 07:25 (Thu 26) DXB 10:25 arr DUR 16:45: Grumpy Penguin

Departing Thu 26th May
    Emirates MAN 21:15 arr DXB 07:25 (Fri 27) DXB 10:25 arr DUR 16:45: lowrez, Sky Blue Arab + crew
    arr DUR (Fri 27) 13:35: XXX Lex XXX

Departing Fri 27th May
    Mango JE253 JNB 13:35 arr DUR 14:45 (Fri 27): Bike It

Hotels
    City Lodge: McHilly, Becca7, Slow Duck, Marty74, Sky Blue Arab + crew, Matt..
    Hilton: PG3, Dannirr, lowrez, XXX Lex XXX, PATRICIAhopeful, lambkin, Phil Sumner 2, Wilfmannion
    Elangeni: John1946
    Belaire Suites: Debra Bourne, Terry48, Grumpy Penguin
    Blue Water: Mr K
    Umhlanga: zuluboy(M&D), Mac3, Peter R (Pearls Apartments)
    Morningside: justanothrrnr(M&D)
    64 On Gordon: Bike It

Fri Night Spiga Dinner
    justanothrrnr, PG3, Becca7 + 2 (Judith, Rob), Marty74, Mc Hilly, Mr K, Terry48 + 2, PATRICIAhopeful +  1(Oliver), Mac3 + 1 (Cristina), zuluboy, Dannirr, Bike It, John 1946 + 1, lambkin, Slow Duck, Wilfmannnion, Debra Bourne, Fit-Running-Cat + 1 (Dave)

Bus Tour
    Fri 8am -
    Fit-Running-Cat, Dannirr(#3), Mc Hilly(#1)
    Fri 9am -
    lambkin, John1946, Mac3, Debra Bourne, PG3, Mr K, Slow Duck
    Sat 9am (BF) - lowrez

Saturday Parkrun 8am – DFYB!
    North Beach -
    Mr K, Mc Hilly, Dannirr, zuluboy, PATRICIAhopeful, Slow Duck, Debra Bourne, justanothrrnr
    Umhlanga -
    Mac3

• Mr KMr K ✭✭✭
    You are just showing off with this list lark now... ???

Great work & thanks.
  • PG3PG3 ✭✭✭

The last 'save 20 mins' session is available here. I suspect its the same session as the one 2 years ago that i have already listened to but i will listen anyway

http://coachparry.com/2016-comrades-marathon-online-seminar-17-may-2016/

• lowrezlowrez ✭✭✭

I was a bit self indulgent; Bruce prompted it during his talk at the Expo last year; "If you are successful in your attempt tomorrow, this is such an amazing feat of endurance, that you should apply for your place on The Wall of Honour with the rest of us".

I was surprised when the CMA contacted me recently to confirm I was "in Group PP, roughly row 9 from the bottom and column 10 from the left" that they didn't include a picture. It was the first thing that came to mind, and, I assume would be a similar request from everyone else? Despite them saying they would try and supply one I have received nothing.

Given my penchant for Saturday sleep-ins could I ask the rest of you, if its not a huge burden and inconvenience, to grab a snap of my plaque on your tour please?

Failing that I will drop in during the run itself - does anyone know how the numbering system works so that I know what I'm doing when I approach it - I don't want to waste a moment too long as I pass.

• Slow DuckSlow Duck ✭✭✭

lowrez - before the current refurbishment it used to be A at the low end (to the left if you're looking at the wall) progressing up the alphabet as you go towards the right of the wall. My block used be on the border between E and F...

• lowrezlowrez ✭✭✭

Thanks SD - so as we run towards Durban - which side of the road is the wall on?

• Mc HillyMc Hilly ✭✭✭

Lowrez, will be happy to look for you on the wall, and take a pic during my Friday bus tour..... But a post / msg as a reminder nearer the time maybe helpful (also I guess it doesn't say Lowrez image? )  

listened to the first half of the coach Pparry webinar..... found it motivating and somehow reassuring, for the first time in a while I am feeling excited about it rather than concerned, only 11.5 sleeps to go image 

• Slow DuckSlow Duck ✭✭✭

lowrez - it's on the left hand side just after Arthur's seat

• lowrezlowrez ✭✭✭

Mc Hilly - it should indeed say "lowrez" under my real name; I forget how the application form refers to that - thought about whether I should put that on it, but then decided what the hell - a conundrum for people who don't know what it is (probably not courting the interest level of the Shugborough inscription though) and an "aha!" moment for those who do  - you do know my real name from our patch correspondence (why am I slightly coy of declaring it here - I think it is simply because of the alias operation of this site - I will cough it up if you need it though). Will pop a reminder on here closer to the time too - thanks for this image

SD - thanks for that again - so on the big day I should look at the near end about 10 columns in and 9 rows up!  image

• PG3PG3 ✭✭✭

Lowrez, I am doing the bus tour on Thursday so i will look for it too.  Between us, we should be able to snap it.