Mental Struggles

2»

Comments

• Yes, I like that David J - really interesting thread

• I am with David J on this - I enjoy it more when I am struggling , wet , cold and generally its tough. I actually focus on how much I am hurting and use it to my advantage. I constantly say to myself 'if it was easy , everybody would be out here'

I enjoy the 'fight' with my body and the distance. It motivates me more when my legs are telling me to stop and give up. 

I thought I was one of the only weirdos that would laugh when I was struggling.

Never give yourself an 'excuse' to stop, sometimes one little negative thought can grow into a 'I am done because.........' 

Obviously a proper injury is a reason to stop and be sensible. 

• David J 27David J 27 ✭✭✭

Drunken Sailor - My thoughts down to a tee. image 

Another side point is if I'm focused on the movement, the feeling etc and "accidentally" drift off/zone out and think of whats for tea - its not a failure.. just part of having a great day. When previously I was trying to cope by zoning out and "failed" and started thinking about discomfort, the finish or .... it felt like a "failure" and a little step towards the black stressy negativeness.

Not sure of the science (this discussion making me think) and did some vague google unscientific digging. Stuff on Mindfullness says that if you focus on pain the brain can deal with it non judgementally in the moment and avoid the emotional negative stress inducing reactions.

Not sure if its me or I get it but also spiritual angles......

"If you want to end your suffering enter your pain." Robert Augustus Masters

"“Don’t seek, don’t search, don’t ask, don’t knock, don’t demand – relax. If you relax, it comes. If you relax, it is there. If you relax, you start vibrating with it.” ~Osho