2016 Marathon Training Thread

Comments

• StewartCStewartC ✭✭✭

OH, sounds like a tough race today, all to play for, what's next?

Ollie, well done with the 10 mile run today

NP, 40 minutes to make up in 8 miles sounds like a tough ask, well done getting 4th and well done with the swim and trail running today

--------------

8 miles today after work I just done the same route as last week, decided against the class the football was free to air so I couldn't resist.

• TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

OH well done on the 2 Lochs race so soon after the Half PB, and good going on the race today - sorry you're 2-1 down !!

Ollie nice 5m run and 5m walk, and well done on today's 10m

Michael nice 8m trail run

yellow nice set of intervals, a tough session

Stewart well done on the intervals, always tough this time of year, and nice easy 5 with JS.  Well done on the 8m tonight -  I got back for the second half...

NN hope you're ok

HM thanks

NP 40 minutes handicap !!!  Nice splits and well done on the swim and forest run

---

8.6m tonight with 7m at MP with the club - felt fineimage

• yellow52yellow52 ✭✭✭
    Just got back from watching the football in a bar in Copenhagen. A work colleague who's a Liverpool fan was a bit on the tearful side. Seems like they didn't really come out to play in the second half.

There's someone called Tori Spelling staying in the same hotel. Not sure who she is, but it seems to be creating a big fuss. Fair play to her though, she's just hanging out in the hotel bar being normal and not doing the diva thing.

As predicted, my legs were mashed today, stuck to 2 mile recovery and some gym work.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭

Well done on the 4th place, NP. I'm not sure I could maintain that kind of pace for more than a few yards, unless I was being chased by a man with a chainsaw. Then again, I doubt anyone could run that fast with a chainsaw so I'm think I'm safe. image

yellow, have fun out there. See if you can squeeze in a visit to Tivoli. It really is magical.

Good strong training runs, everyone. image

Out about 6:20 for an early one - 4 miles easy but with some strides in the last mile. Virus hasn't developed so I think I'm safe. I have not been sick once since I stopped teaching. Funny that.

• OlliepopOlliepop ✭✭✭

Morning. image

NP: Well done in the cross country race, good going. image  Nice swim and 6 miles too. image
    SC: Nice 8 miles run yesterday. image
    Teknik: Good going with the 7 miles at marathon pace, and 8.6 overall. image
    Yellow: Good recovery run, and I've no idea who Tori Spelling is either, maybe I should take a spelling test..? image
    Cal: Nice early run, good to hear the virus hasn't developed. image

- - - - - - - - - -

5 morning miles from me, now coffee o'clock. image

Have a good day. image

Have a good day. image
  • Day 3 of Cape Wrath Challenge
    Round Durness Race 10.4 miles mixed terrain

The first section retraces the previous day's race down the rough road. The route then progresses steadily up over heather moor (normally with wonderful views). It then turns onto a tractor track through the CW "cow poo alley" and down to the ferry road. At the CW ferry, it continues up across sand dunes then down the the shores of Loch Borralie. Up more undulating dunes and onto the golf course down to Balnakeil beach. It then crosses agricultural land to climb to a small headland "Aodann Mhor", down more fields and back up to Durness Village. Finally back down to Sango Sands before the final gear crunching steep hairpins and along back to the hall.

Thick mist, drizzle and a cold north wind added to today's fun.

I had to stop to adjust laces shortly after start, causing Elspeth, who was right after me, to nearly run over me! Along the road, I was regaled from behind with banter from the winning team about who had won the pub quiz (just in case anyone left did not know!). I followed Elspeth all along the rough road getting ahead briefly after turning.
    Over the heather moors, I was now running neck and neck with a couple from Holland (who I shall refer to as The Flying Dutch Girls - FDG). Views were sadly lacking today. I became sandwiched between them for about a mile before the tail FDG made a bid to pass me and catch her buddy on the downhill. This ended up as a race between us - 8:11 pace! I reached her buddy first and in doing so had nearly caught up with Elspeth.
    With nearly a stretch of tarmac in front, I continued my spurt passing Elspeth and about 5 others.
    9:32, 9:22, 9:42, 10.00, 8:11
    However this joy was not to last as we went onto the dunes and into the freshening headwind: Elspeth was not going to be outdone - "this was her race" - and was right on my heels. She immediately passed me. I kept her in sight along Loch Borralie, but along the dunes approaching the golf course, Els quickly disappeared from my sights and hopes. As one of the FDG too passed me, she commented that my wife was "going like a cannonball". I lyrically prefer to think Els was inspired by a golf ball.
    Thereafter my run unfolded with the inevitability of a Shakespearean tragedy. image
    FDG 2 passed me on way down through golf course to Balnakeil. So did the 5 others I had passed earlier. I found it quite hard going into the now quite strong cold headwind towards the headland - Aodann Mhor.
    Cold and miserable, plodding along, just putting one foot in front of the other and approaching the steep incline to the headland, I heard the flapping of a bib behind me. A girl in purple passed me, I quickly realised my opportunity and, like the true gentleman I am, slotted in right behind her, hitching a "lee-ride" up the hill. I obviously had not hindered her as, once over the summit, she too disappeared into the distance.image

Downhill and with the wind now off my face, the winner of the pub quiz overtook me, missing another opportunity to announce the winner of the pub quiz and pulled away up towards the village, where a line of the local schoolchildren waited to high-five us as we passed.
    Down again to Sango Sands, I just about managed to run most of the way up the final steep road hill gaining some ground on but failing to threaten WP (did I tell you his team had won the pub quiz?)image

The final (gear crunching) hairpin bend reduced me to walking before picking up for the home straight to the community hall.
    10:23, 11:45, 11:06, 11:19, 11:04, (11:10)
    1h46m56 for 10.4 miles. 42nd out of a field of 70.
    Els had a clear 5m30 on me (so 2 - 1 to her)
    However Day 3 completed, still ru

• Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭

Afternoon All! image

As usual I have some catching up to do! This page reveals some good runnign from StewartC, Tek, Yellow, Ollie and Cal ... and of course a cracking 4th place for NP. AOH - Cape Wrath Day 3 sounds, err, hard work! I will have to read back and see what's what on Day 1 and Day 2.image

John Carr 5K last night for me ... 20:03 official and a smidgen under 73% WAVA ... 4th best ever. But a bit frustrating not to bag a sub-20  ...  the new route was a bit harder than I'd expected and, given I'd done only 1 run since the Leeds HM and some hard work on the bike this week (including 16 miles yesterday), I hadn't really set myself up optimally. Nevertheless, running hard on "bike legs" was perfect prep for the up-coming triathlon. And it's technically a PB (on Po10) as my previous "non-parkrun" 5K PB was 20:18.

I ended up hitting my maxHR (171 bpm, age-adjusted since I actually last did the test), so definitely worked hard! After 3 negative splits in the 10mi, HM and this 5K, I feel that this year I'm starting to get the hang of this pacing malarkey.

1, 3:57, 150/158 bpm
    2, 4:19, 157/161
    3, 4:03, 158/162
    4, 3:50, 164/167
    5, 3:53, 166/171

• Day 4: 5k beach run. Abe Lincoln found the honor of bearing the 5' X 3' flag (33 Stars and Stripes) quite onerous in the windimage

• No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭

SC nice 8 miles last night.

Teknik nice 8+miles with 7 at MP, glad everything is starting to go well.

Yellow well done on the easy run and gym work, is Tori as good looking in the flesh?

OH Great race report and again it sounds like a great week of running the photos of you dressed as Abe Lincoln where very good but think I would be a little worried about Snow Whiteimage

Dr Dan well done on the 5k and a good session for the up coming Triathlon, I need to start doing some bike work in the next few weeks.

50x25m front crawl and 6 miles on the trails with strides in the last mile, one under black clouds, thunder and lightening with heavy rain.........

• yellow52yellow52 ✭✭✭

Cal - glad you're feeling better

Ollie - well done on the early miles pre-coffee

OH - bad luck going 2-1 down - not over yet though. Great report again!

NP - nice swim/run double there, ominous sounding weather

DrDan - well done, good pacing. Do you not count ParkRun for a PB?

-----------

Found a new place to run tonight, can't believe I've been travelling to Copenhagen with work for 4 years and only just discovered it. 10 mins run away from the hotel a huge park/nature reserve type place with various types of trail, a few man-made hills (hard to find around here), and even the odd deer.

Steady 5 miles tonight. Rest day tomorrow. Knee is niggling a bit, hopefully nothing a day of rest won't sort out, then all being well a Park Run debut on Saturday.

• Night NurseNight Nurse ✭✭✭

Evening ! 

At last a chance to sit down and catch up ! 

Tek yes I am fine thanks , just not had 5 minutes to myself this week to catch up here looks like you are in good shape with that 8 miler  

NP well done on tne cross country .. nice swimming and running double ! I have also started adding swimmimg to my schedule , should get in  2/3 swims a week from  now on ... 

OH sounds like a tough but enjoyable  few days enjoyed reading your report and Els obviously had fire in her belly and wasnt going to let  you beat  her again !! girl power !! 

DD so close !!! damn those 3 seconds !! still pretty quick  though and nice WAVA 

Yellow always nice to find new running routes enjoy !! have fun at the park run , and no ! on power of 10' park run is separate to 5k which is annoying as my parkrun PB from last year is 21.19 !!  11 seconds faster than my recent road 5k PB 

Cal glad you are feeling better ... dont do too much too soon 

SC nice 8 miler ! whats your next race ??

Rest day here .. 4k relays tomorrow image to say I am dreading it is an understatment ! I am in the club senior team and when Inlooked at ither senior teams a couple are made up of university students !!! and we know how fast they can run !!! hey ho looking forward to the pub after 

• Quick post before work, some great training and racing on the go. Well done NP, Dr Dan and OH on the racing front!image

Woke up sore on Monday so canned long run, didn't have one planned for this weekend so I'll do it then. Club Tuesday, 6 yesterday and 6.2 miles @ 6:28 tonight. Last mile was faster than 5k pace...image

• Quick catch up for me too, been taking it steady this week following sundays race but decided to go along to the Thursday night group session to build some speed which is all rep based, looking to build this into my training for the summer .

Tonights session was 8 x 600 with 90 sec recovery between each, knew that it would be tough and I wasn't disappointed.Total distance was 3 m @5:51 per mile.
  • TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

yellow well done on the recovery run and gym yesterday; sounds like a nice place you've found in Copenhagen for the 5m.  Good luck for Saturday's debut!

Cal fingers crossed you've dodged the lurgy; nice early 4m and well done for getting the strides in

Ollie well done on the 5m

OH nice day 3 report and well done on the beach run

Dr Dan great racing - nice WAVA too and Po(10) PBimage

NP nice swim and trail run plus strides - what weather !?!

NN thanks and good luck tomorrow.  Oof!

Stuart that was a fast 10k for a training run! Nice finish...

MG nice fast 600 session - great pace

---

9.6m tonight including warm up and strides, and a park session with the club - 3 x 1.25m ish @ LT off 60s and 2 x 400m @ 5k off 90s - should have been 4 x 400 but the left hammy was aching again so I decided just to jog the 3.5m home to the flat.

---

Upcoming races

20/5/16  Run Exe 4k relay                                          Night Nurse
    22/5/16  Keswick Mountain Festival 50k Trail Ultra   Michael Griffiths
    22/5/16  Great Manchester 10k                                 Olliepop
    22/5/16  Clapham Common 10k                                Cal Jones

plus a Parkrun debut for yellow on Saturday and whatever torture is left for OH at Cape Wrath.  Good luck peepsimage

• OH An epic few days.. with amusing story from you and your running competition with Elspeth

Tek Great running over the last couple of days and with efforts

MG1 That's a nice pace.. sounds like the speed is building

SM6 Not a bad week great pace wow...  your training is paying dividends

NN Good luck with your relays..  hope it's a healthy dread that wll make you perform well

Yellow Enjoy your new discovery... rather motivating

DrDan Getting close to that sub20 keep on going and you'll get there ... so close.

NP you are thunder on the trails sounds like an exciting run ...

Ollie nice morning run

Cal  well done on that early good to hear you are well

5 miles yesterday and 5miles today averaging 7'56" per mile... very easy. great to be out with the club..  had to cut run short to collect daughter from cheer leading. Good thing coz. I'm tapering! Nervous and Excited about race on sunday. Training has been very enjoyable and gone well though.. let's see what happens.

Have an excellent weekend of running everyone

• yellow52yellow52 ✭✭✭

... I forgot to mention one aspect of my new-found running paradise in Copenhagen. At one point I ran through a clearing in the trees and came face-to-face with some bearded Danish guy sharpening a scythe. Some kind of hipster grim reaper I imagine. I just kept on running (slightly faster).

Stay safe out there everyone image

• Yellow52 Interesting your grim reaper reminds of Cals chainsaw person... I get chased by skin heads in bovver boots bearing clubs..  image agree stay safe and sane!image Does anyone else have psycho-inspiration?

• Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭
    yellow52 wrote (see)
    DrDan - well done, good pacing. Do you not count ParkRun for a PB?

I do .... but "Power of 10" doesn't ... ironically my previous official 5K PB (Hyde Park 5K race series 2010) was on the very course that became what is now my local parkrun course. However, my 5K PB remained 20:18 (until this week's race) while my parkrun PB on the same course was 19:34.

/members/images/430220/Gallery/Capture.JPG

• TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

Michael nice 5 + 5, good luck this weekend !image

yellow lolimage

Dr Dan nice set of statsimage

---

4m recovery jog this lunchtime - very stiff legs but hammy seems ok

---

Revised race list

20/5/16  Run Exe 4k relay  Night Nurse
    21/5/16  Parkrun  yellow52
    21/5/16  Cape Wrath Marathon OH
    22/5/16  Keswick Mountain Festival 50k Trail Ultra   Michael Griffiths
    22/5/16  Great Manchester 10k  Olliepop
    22/5/16  Clapham Common 10k  Cal Jones

OH !imageimage

• StewartCStewartC ✭✭✭

OH, another cracking race this week, I don't know where you get the energy to race day after day and I bet the evening entertainment is just as strenuous, I am enjoy see the pics on fb, good luck tomorrow

Tek, good to hear the hammy is feeling ok, some good training going on but please do take care.

Dr Dan, nice set of times, and well done getting a new 5k PB, that sub 20 will come I am sure of it

Yellow, I think I might have picked the pace up a little too, hope the knee is feeling better

Ollie, well done with the 5 mile run, I bet the coffee went down well, good luck on Sunday

NP, nice swim and trail running, hope the thunder storm didn't spoil it

NN, I've got another 10k race next week up at castle Mey, it is a bit out of the way but I might go up the day before and stay overnight, good luck with the relays I am sure you will race strong

MG7, good luck on Sunday 

MG, some rapid reps, I'm sure the speed work will make a hug difference

SM, another great session and a quick finish to the 6 mile run, 

Cal, well done with the 6 with strides, good luck on Sunday

-------------------

Tri club interval session last night it was the same as last week, 6 x 0.9xm, the first rep was too fast and I suffered for it later, I will never learn,

• OH well done sir on the racing this week, sounds like a good all crack!

DD next time you will crack the 20 and get that PB.

NP nice mix of training as normal image

SM good work on the 6, when the next race ?

Cal hope all goes well on the weekend.

MG7 have a good one on sunday.

Yellow hope the knee is okay and just a little niggle.

NN you will be fine, your form is going from strength to strength right now.

Stewart still a good session, no easy way of running the reps I guess.

Park run tomorrow with some miles bolted onto the end, want to keep a little endurance as it wont be long before autumn training starts
  • HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Well done guys.

NN, MG7, Ollie, Cal, OH & Yellow

Good luck guys.

• OlliepopOlliepop ✭✭✭

Hello, just a quick check in before the day ends.

NN: Hope the relays went well. image
    OH/Yellow: Enjoy the marathon/parkrun tomorrow. image

- - - - -

3 miles from me in the afternoon, went good as can be expected.
    See y'all tomorrow. image

Have a good day. image
  • OlliepopOlliepop ✭✭✭

Morning, and hello once again. image

OH: Great running this week, day 3 sounded tough, day 4 sounded fun, can imagine you as Abe Lincoln fairly easily. image  Have fun in the marathon today, good luck!
    Dr.Dan: Great 5k the other day, good splits as well, so well done. image  May need to borrow your pacing skills for tomorrow.
    NP: Nice swimming and trail running the other day, especially in the stormy conditions. image
    Yellow: Nice to find a new route, good going on the 5 miles.  Hope you enjoyed the rest day, and hope all went well at parkrun. image
    Sounds like a nice run in with a scythed Dane, I once had a can of Carlsberg kicked at me by a sheep, quite baa-baric really. image
    NN: The trick is to take uni students to the pub pre-race. image  
    SM6: Good week of running, in particular that last mile on the 6.2 mile run the other day. image
    MG1: Nice tough club session the other day, good going; enjoy parkrun and extra tomorrow. image
    Teknik: Good session at the club the other day, hope your hamstring is alright.  Nice going on the recovery jog too. image
    MG7: Good going on the 5 miles on Wednesday and Thursday.  Best of luck for your race on Sunday, hope you have a nice rest today. image
    SC: Nice tri club session, setting off too fast is an all too familiar story... D'oh well, good work anyway. image
    HM4: Thank you, hoping for a good run tomorrow. image

- - - - - - - - - -

With all that said and done, didn't do parkrun this morning but substituted it for a slow jog of a mile (well just over), and watched a bit of the local parkrun.
    Of course, lack of parkrun also meant I could have that one extra coffee, hopefully I don't turn this into a habit... image

Have a good day. image

Have a good day. image
  • yellow52yellow52 ✭✭✭
    Quick check in on the phone.

Hope everyone's racing is going well.

Like Ollie I ditched the Parkrun this morning - I was reminded of some domestic chores by the other half image

On the upside, I found an alternative - Wallingford 5k tomorrow morning image

So 3 easy miles today to stay fresh.
  • No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭

Some nice running going on and coffee drinkingimage Hope all the races go to planimage I was tempted to race 4 miles last night but the legs still felt a little heavy  from the cross country so gave it a miss. Have been doing a bit in the garden but rain stopped play at 2pm yesterdayimage Hope to get more done when the weather settles down again. Went to the Park run this morning and ran 17:37 so happy enough with that the sun even came outimage Back to more rain now, hope that wasn't summerimage

• Just shy of 4h26, I think (garmin went into sleep mode on ferry so lost a few seconds picking up a signal again) close but just short of PB

Probably 2 all but it will be close imageimage

• NP excellent park run, summer starts on Monday ????

Ollie all that coffee sounds good.

Yellow nice going on the few easy miles.

2 m warm up then 18.53 park run, bit windy out there but didnt have the pace to threaten a PB. Finished with steady 6 m. Out for a few miles tomorrow morning .
  • TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

Stewart well done on the intervals with the club - we all do it!

HM thanks

Ollie well done on the easy running (and watching)

yellow nice easy 3, good luck tomorrow at the 5k

NP great parkrun time, hope you get better weather soon

OH well done, great running - and at 2-2 is it all over?image

MG nice parkrun time and good 6m at the end too

---

Just an easy 4m hereimage

• Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭

Great stuff, everyone.

Well, today's race left me with mixed feeling. It was Clapham Common 10K (Runthrough, not Innovation Sports) and I've done plenty of Runthrough events before and they're pretty good.

I set off about three quarters of the way back through the pack (my fault for talking to someone in the line who was wearing a shirt from a race I'd run last year) so I had a lot of dodging to do on the first lap (it was a three lap race) and the first mile went down in 8:42, which is 5K speed really. A little bit too fast. Mile 2 was 8:49 and then it went 8:55, 8:59, 8:59. I must have relaxed a little too much on the final mile and got that in 9:04 before kicking up my heels and heading for the finish. Garmin said my time was 54:27 (previous PB was 55:19) so I was elated.

Until I got home and plugged in my Garmin. It read the course as 6.14 miles, so it was less than 10K. I know Garmin isn't always accurate, but usually they tend to read over not under, so I don't know what to think. So I waited for the results to be posted and, guess what, my time is a big blank. Looks like my chip failed. Terrific. I've emailed them so I'll have to wait and see.

I think I ran pretty well despite the positive split - if the race had been 6.2 miles I'd still have come in under my PB, although not quite under 55 which was my goal.I'm a tad miffed about the chip though.

I have another 10K (Osterley Park) in three weeks so let's see if I can go sub-55 there.