Sub 3h15

Comments

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

Interesting session with the club tonight. Ran 1.5 to and from a local trail on the common where we did 6 x 1k laps with walking recoveries. Splits were all within a second of each other, 3.40 per split. Total distance for the night was 6.8 miles.

Tough at times due to the 2 other speedy sessions this week but 3 days off now with maybe a bike ride on Sunday.

Just in case I don't get on here tomorrow, good luck to the racers this weekend.Smash it!!

GD

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

OO - That's an excellent time, well done and don't be too hard on yourself, those 5k splits look good to me.

G-Dawg - Super speedy session. Never mind sub 20 I reckon you could run 18:x for a 5k. Are there any 5k races near you that you can do to cash in on your current fitness levels?

KR - Sorry to hear about the calf issue. Hope it settles soon.

SJ - Was that an open water swim you did??

• SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭
    Coached swim set in the pool with the whiteboard of horrors GM. Painful. Always the hardest session of the week.
  • GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

SJ - 4K is far in the wet stuff, well done!

• Fish52Fish52 ✭✭✭

Good luck to Gul and Poacher at the White Peak tomorrow. Looks like it will be wet, but the thread smackdown will be hot!

I notice, from the start list, that Poacher is in his own category of MU3...3rd Master of the Universe?

• PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭

MU = "massively unprepared" - "mentally unready" - "marathon underdog". Or something.

Gul - I am on the road as usual but popping into Chateau Poacher tonight and will find some gel pouches

SJ - mad, mad, mad.

OO nice run, very quick for an OG image

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

Abbers - how did the time trial go?
    Badbark - all the best with your dress rehearsal VLR. What's the plan?
    OO - can understand being disappointed when being so close to sub 37, but that's a storming 10k!
    GD - never done a 10 mile race, although there is a local one in October... Sounds like a good marker for the start of your Berlin campaign. Excellent reps. Just be careful doing so much speedwork though.
    KR  - sorry to hear about your calf issue. Hope it gets sorted soon.
    SJ - Sounds like punishment indeed! Being a techno-dinosaur, I won't be posting till Saturday evening at the earliest.
    Fishy - yes, I wondered about MU3 too. Half a football match result, maybe?
    Poacher - thank you. Is there anywhere to keep warm and dry at Thorpe waiting for the start? See you tomorrow - probably won't be there to register till near 9:30.

• BirchBirch ✭✭✭

good luck to the WP duo tomorrow ;  nice sandbagging going on, Poacher image

well done with the 10K, OO - calf stood up ok I presume ?

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

Birch - thanks. Looking at the start list, I see there is a Philip Morris racing too. Nothing to do with PMJ, I presumeimage

• PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭

Birch - I am the master of sandbagging, image but sadly this time it feels unexaggerated (shifted another 3 tonnes of soil & rocks yesterday, cream crackered).

Gul - the buses start to leave from 0930, don't turn up too late. As for the wait at the start line, as I recall it's just open ground with a few trees beside the footpath so little if any shelter.  Bin liner or foil blanket would help. Gel pouch belt things packed. I am no. 107, usual yellow Stockport vest. 

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

Poacher - Thanks for that. So it's not the same bus (or two) making several journeys back and forth then? I will try and round up the family as early as I dare (but with two teenage daughters...)  Ah yes, I forgot to mention I am no. 89. Grey singlet with white and blue trim. Time to ease up on the carb-loading before I explode.

• PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭

With 240 names on the start list, there must be more than 1 bus (!) as it's a good 12 miles to the start.  Unless it's a really big bus, or all the other entrants are very small.

Do I recall that you are very tall indeed? In which case you will be easy to spot if the rest of the field is vertically challenged.

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

Yes, I am just hoping that they don't all leave smack on 9:30! I should be fine, as we're driving over tonight and staying down the road near Ripley.
    I am somewhere between six foot 2 or 3, (so tall but not exceptionally so), wear glasses even for running, and may well be wearing a red peaked cap, so should be reasonably easy to spot.

• AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

OO - that still looks like a very quick 10k from where I'm sitting.

GDawg - good set of intervals there. You should certainly get those shorter races booked in to see what you can do.

KR - sorry to hear you're still having calf issues. Hope you can get it sorted. Trip to the fizz perhaps?

SJ - big swimming session that. Building up some excellent tri fitness.

Gul/Poacher - as with everyone else, looking forward to your reports of White Peak exploits.

For anyone keeping tabs on such things, yesterday's 5k came out as 20:20 as part of my 7.5 miler. Marginally quicker than last week; I'll take 5 seconds a week for the next 10 weeks or so!

Forecast suggests rain starting at 10pm tonight locally, and finishing at about 10pm tomorrow night. Suspect I may not be playing tomorrow afternoon!

• Gul Darr wrote (see)

Looking at the start list, I see there is a Philip Morris racing too. Nothing to do with PMJ, I presumeimage

Rumbledimage Have a good one, both you and Poacher.

4x600 for me at lunchtime today with a long recovery, about 5 minutes. Came out just outside 2 minutes, 2:02, 2:03, 2:03 and 2:04. I had 2 minutes in my head a as a target time which is 80 seconds per lap and they worked out about 82. Have to take a bit of time off as the track was covered in kids for some sort of sports day and I was not in the mood to plough through a lot of them so had to run away from the best line at times.

Thing here is trying to work out what to do with the Garmin during recoveries. If I do a jog recovery then I just let the Garmin run but if I take a 5 minute recovery it makes my overall session pace very low.

Strava did give me a PB for a lap of the track: also says I have done that segment 273 times so over 109 km or just short of 68 miles.

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

PMJ: I hit the lap button after every split and again when I start the next. Last night's recoveries were slow walks back to the start and took around 2.40-ish.
    Here's the splits from last night. 1k efforts are in bold (all odd numbers).

1    3:38.8 
    2    2:39.2  
    3    3:41.2  
    4    2:08.2 
    5    3:41.1  
    6    2:27.7   
    7    3:41.2 
    8    2:42.6  
    9    3:40.5 
    10  2:44.3   
    11  3:39.9 

If I go too slow, Strava trims the recoveries as it doesn't recognise it as moving average. Garmin records it as it is but moving average can also be viewed.
    It took me a while to get used to doing this and tell myself that it's OK to not have a respectable average pace for the whole session.

GD

• FreemersFreemers ✭✭✭

Looking forward to the WP smackdown this weekend - hope it goes well for Gul and Poacher and may the bets man win image

I like scotch eggs too, so definitely don't want to know about Lorenzo's experience...

GD - is Dorking 10 hilly?  Couple of good club sessions there.

OO - smashing 10k image

Not a lot of interesting running from me this week - one sort of tempo and a few steady runs, plus some weights (leg press mainly).  Looks like a fairly decent weekend for running so will get out both days I expect.

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

Good luck to Gul and Poacher at WP. Have a good run both and I look forward to hearing all about it.

• Poacher, Gul - good luck to both of you tomorrow morning. Hope it's not too rainy tomorrow.

Freemers, GD - the Dorking 10 is a great race: rolling countryside so some ups and downs but no hills; just Box Hill looming in the distance. My running club organises it so I may well be marshalling / helping out somewhere.

Good reps there GD

Another long (30+) run planned tomorrow taking in part of the River Wey Navigation and the North Downs Way. Should be fun.

• Bike ItBike It ✭✭✭

Good luck for White Peak chaps.  

I'm looking forward to Poacher's book - run a marathon on 0 runs a week.

ITB problems here. Tapering plus speed plus new shoes. A bad recipe. Frantically foam rollering and massaging.

• PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    Cool and drizzly at Cromford as excited crowds await the arrival of East Anglia's Haile Gul Selasie & his entourage.....
  • SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭

Smash it boys!
  • MsEMsE ✭✭✭

Good luck weekend racers.  Fingers crossed for you BikeIt.  

• parkrun for me in 19:42, a second slower than last week but I did a hard track session yesterday so will take the positives from that.

• On the edge of seat at the moment, constantly hitting Refresh to see whether the White Peak results are in yet!!!

Hope your ITB sorts itself our soon BI.

How are you MsE? I think I passed pretty close to your house on my run this morning.

Very achy legs at the moment having run just under 35 miles this morning, mostly off road although a large chunk of it was along a nice flat towpath. Not sure how I'm going to manage double that in 4 weeks time.

• BirchBirch ✭✭✭

two ends of the spectrum, the previous couple of posts - equally impressive !

not so here, but duty demands a cr*p day is reported  . . . .

4 weeks after a 75% WAVA parkrun (21:31) , today (albeit on a different, more "up & down" course, which prob about 1 min slower), recorded 23:20 for 69% ! Started aggressively, as the course narrows after 400m and easy to become blocked in, but then just endured 20 something mins of agony image   .  This after a low key week of just  2 x 4 miles & a 12 in the preceding 5 days.  Maybe the Vogit legs are better kept moving than not !  Anyway 42nd from 237, and only 2nd Vogit   . Good morn out, though, as warmed up and down with my daughter, for 6 and a bit in total - she was easily 1st female, but forgot barcode (!), so not recorded as such . . . . .

Now, eagerly awaiting news from the White Peak (around 2 hrs 45 mins elapsed, I reckon)  

• Where have Gul and Poacher gone?!!!

• Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭

Bikeit -Just a niggle I hope you need to bulk buy shoes the rate you are using them at now image

Lorenezo- 35 mile ! won't be long till you catch Madbark image

PMJ- with all this speedwork I'm sure an 18 min 5k will be here soon image

Birch- not too bad keep working those creaky old but high wava legs or they will sieze up image

Gul/Poacher are both too smashed after their epic smackdown to post I guess... image did the no running training strategy prevail or do you actually need to train for a mara ?

10m after nightshift, 5 easy ,5 progression .

• PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭

If it had been Wimbledon, it would have been 6-0,6-0,6-0
    At Lords, it would have been a margin of an innings & 500 runs.
    At Wembley, it would have been 8-nil
    At a racecourse, it would have been Tony McCoy against a bloke on a carthorse
    At the Ryder Cup, it would have been 10 & 8
    At VLM it would have been Paula v Jo Brand

I achieved the silver medal position on the smackdown podium, but with only 2 competitors that's not very good. For some reason, the "landscaping-rather-than-running" training strategy didn't work. Congratulations to the Dennis Kimetto of Norfolk - well toughed out on a course which is much more challenging than it looks, and in horrid weather.

Cup Final now (lifelong Palace fan.... hoping not to see two smackdown defeats in a day image)

• PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭

In case anyone's not watching the Cup Final, you're missing another case of abysmal refereeing in favour of a moneybags team from Manchester. Quelle surprise!