What's best for fitness?

Hi what would be most beneficial to fitness? One 10 mile run on an evening at 8 min mile pace or two 5 mile runs a.m & p.m at 7.30 mile pace?

Comments

• Richard  2Richard 2 ✭✭✭

corr blimey that's very specific, I would probably suggest that you try and alternate, do one 10 miler and then two 5 milers, are the two 5 milers on the same day?

if you want to be really specific i'd maybe suggest that for the 10 miler you try the first 5 miles at 8.15 and the second lot of 5 miles at 7.45

and then with the two 5 milers I'd try one of them all 5 miles as fast as you can, and then maybe the second one with a slow first mile (8?), really fast second mile (6.30), slow third mile and as fast as you can 4th (6.30) mile and one mile cool down - or maybe do even more shorter even faster reps

• Hog-mouseHog-mouse ✭✭✭

Nah, intervals. Hitt - 30 secs max and 90 sec recovery. x12 image

• Thanks, but that wasn't really my question. Someone at work asked me this and I didn't know the answer, just wondered if there was some science behind either doing one longer run or two shorter runs to benefit fitness
  • HA77HA77 ✭✭✭

It depends what you're training for. For longer races the 10 miles would be better. If you're just racing middle distance it might be better to do 2 faster runs. If it's just for general health and well being a single 5 mile run is probably best.

• Richard  2Richard 2 ✭✭✭

if you repeat the same thing over and over the body become very efficient at doing that thing

so doing two 5 milers would make you more efficient at doing two 5 milers, that's why i suggested alternating them,

I would also say that you'd want to increase your speed as you go because your body will get used to it and you'd want to keep getting fitter