Comments

• Options

Garmin delayed restart was longer than I thought:

4h27m40 with Els in at 4h26m13 

So 3-1 image

Ah well image

• Options
    yellow52yellow52 ✭✭✭

OH - bad luck losing the series to Elspeth, but great running the last few days, and cracking race reports.

Cal - well done. I would trust the course unless officially declared short. Garmin can come up short sometimes as it can round off sharp corners. Shame about the chip, good luck repeating sub-55 at Osterley

SC - I have love/hate relationship with intervals. Last lot I did, I kicked out after a 1mile warm-up, checked pace on the Garmin and was surprised to see it was well below target. Upped the pace a bit, then a bit more, and a bit more. It felt way too hard. Then I realised I was looking at Average pace (including warm-up), not Lap pace. Doh.

NP/MG - great park running.

Good luck anyone racing tomorrow - Ollie, Michael G, anyone else sorry if I missed you.

---------------------

Wallingford Thames Run tomorrow. They have 10k and 5k options. Registration is closed, but website says on-the-day entries are OK. Tempted by the 10k, but think I'll go for the 5k as:

1. I was meant to do a park run today so this is a nice alternative
    2. My only official 5k time is a 24:17 last Boxing Day full of turkey and hung over, so a PB is practically guaranteed image
  • Options
    StewartCStewartC ✭✭✭

OH, congratulations on a great week of racing, enjoy the festivities tonight and unlucky you lost the head to head 3 - 1 image

NP, another good run at pr today, I hope we do get a decent summer this year

MG, still a great time at pr today, topped off with another 6 miles, enjoy the run tomorrow

Ollie, nothing wrong with a good cuppa, well done with the easy running

Tek, easy 4 nicely done

Yellow, good luck tomorrow, run strong image

Cal, congratulations a new 10k PB, image

-----------------------

4 miles easy today, will look to do 10 tomorrow

• Options
    OlliepopOlliepop ✭✭✭

Evening. image

Good luck to MG7 in his Ultra and Yellow52 in the 5k, hope all goes well.
    Best of luck to anybody else racing tomorrow too. image

Yellow: Nice going on the easy 3 miles and domestic chores (think cross-training! image )  Enjoy your 5k tomorrow, good luck. image
    NP: Excellent parkrunning as per usual, what's your parkrun course like?  Hope that summer pops back to pay a longer visit soon. image
    OH: Ah 3-1, sorry to hear but at least it's not 4 score as would befit Abe. image  Great marathoning, hope you had a fun week. image
    MG1: Coffee is my fuel, great parkrunning in windy conditions, enjoy your run tomorrow. image
    Teknik: Nice, easy run today, always good to recover whilst getting a run outside. image
    Cal: Sorry, didn't realise you were racing today; well done, fantastic running and good going getting a PB.  Hope the chip issue gets sorted soon but great stuff today. image
    SC: Nothing wrong and everything right with a decent brew of course!  Good easy mileage today, enjoy your 10 miles tomorrow. image

- - - - - - - - - - 

Off to bed in a tick, had a few heart palpitations watching the FA Cup Final, happy with the end result though. image
    But this is a running forum, not a football forum, so I will skuttle off, ready to be up and running in the morning.

G'night. image

Have a good day. image
  • Options

My local Park Run was cancelled due to storms. So I will have to do 2 or 3 sessions at the gym in lea dup to next week's Park Run.

I have just signed up to run my Target Marathon in mid-October.

I plan to run 1 or 2 training Marathons and 1 or 2 Half Marathons in lead up to my Target Marathon. in Mid-October. My first training Marathon is in 3 weeks time. I will kick off training for a Marathon by running a Training Marathon.

In August I will run a HM race and 3 weeks after I will run either a second Training Marathon or a second Half Marathon. Then 7 weeks lead up to my Target Marathon.

I plan to run  sub 2:50 time in my Target Marathon. In my Training Marathons I will run closer to 3:10, to save my legs for my training and my weekly Park Runs. 

In my Half Marathons I will aim for sub 80 minutes. I achieve sub 1:20 in my first HM I will run a second Training Marathon.  I will race a second HM within a month if I miss my sub 1:20 HM goal.

• Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Well done guys.

• Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭

Thanks Ollie and Stewart, but I can't count it as a PB when I don't have an official time and the race appeared to be short. I'll just have to do better next time.

• Options
    Tek nice easy 4

Cal must be frustrating to say the least, still you must be pleased.

OH great weeks running from you, shame about the 3:1 defeat.

Yellow nice new PB then on the cards

Stewart hope the 10 has been a good one.

Sub 17 whats your theory on running full marathons in training ? what sort of weekly distance are looking to do in your marathon training?

Nice 6 m here in the sun earlier.
  • Options
    No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭

OH sorry it ended 3-1 mate, but you have to keep Mrs OH happyimage

MG1 nice Park run and miles before and after with another nice 6 miles in the sun todayimage

Teknik well done on the 4 milesimage

Cal well raced and don't worry about the Garmin they can be + or - out over any distance wait till you get the results in. But it's all looking good for a PBimageimageimage

Yellow good luck with the race.

SC nice running hope the 10 today went well.

Ollie there are 52 turns on the Park run It's Carrickfergus in Northern Ireland if you want to have a look, one turn is 180 degrees and up a short hill. Enjoy your run.

Sub 17 Have you ever run a half or full marathon before? whats your age and whats your weekly milage?

Personalise your vest   I have used you before for t-shirts for the WPFG and always very happy with the service and quality at a very good price.image

Well ran and marked up the clubs second trail race which is taking place on Tuesday night so around 10 miles done in total as we ran it three times and all in the sunimage

• Options
    TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

Cal great running - hope the organisers get your time sorted.  My Garmin always reads short in London - too many twists and turns in the shorter races

OH never mind !  A great week's running

yellow I hope the 5k went well

Stewart nice easy 4

Ollie I didn't spot you on the telly...

sub17 good luck with the plan

HM thanks

MG nice sunny 6 this morning

---

Just another easy 4.3m for me this evening - 44m for the weekimage

• Options
    yellow52yellow52 ✭✭✭

Ollie - hope you had a good run today, and you weren't put off by all the Mourinho talk image

SC - well done on the 4 miles, and I hope today's 10 went well

sub17 - marathons in training sounds hard work

MG - well done on the sunny 6 

Tek - good miles for the day and week!

------------

Wallingford Thames Run 5k...

Not a bad little event, but I'd generally say it's not one for a PB. There's a 5k and a 10k (the latter does 2 laps), and both set off at the same time. At the start they line up all the 10k runners first, and then put the 5k runners at the back. This meant a lot of hold ups in narrow areas behind the slower of the 10k runners.

Start of the course is along a country road, first 1k was weaving in and out of aforementioned 10k runners, next km got a bit harder to do so as we're on narrower paths. 3rd km it was next to impossible as we're now on a very narrow single-file path by the river with hedges either side (and a fair bit of slippy mud as well). 4th and 5th km's are back through the town with a bit more space and traction, but by now the speed wasn't in the legs when I needed it.

Finished 23:04, so still a PB but not what I thought I could do (closer to 22:00). This is actually slower than my hoped-for 10k pace, but with all the congestion I won't be too disheartened. In hindsight I should have snuck forward among the 10k pack to be with similar paced people.

The best bit - because most of the serious runners go for the 10k, I placed 8th overall out of 105, and first male v40.image

Hmm. Now I gotta get me one of those personalised superpower vests. Do they do a "Pollinator" version, for my bee-themed superhero alter-ego? image

• Options
    yellow52yellow52 ✭✭✭

... and nice sunny 10 from NP there also image

• Options
    StewartCStewartC ✭✭✭

MG, a good run in the sun today

S17, be careful upping the mileage too quickly, 

NP, another one who had a good run in the sun, 

Tek, well done with the 4 easy today and good totals for the week

Yellow, sounds like a tough race to get into any sort of rhythm, congratulations with the PB more to come me thinks image

--------------

10 miles along the canal today, there was sun and torrential rain with some hail thrown in, just about 40 miles for the week,  

• Options

NN How did the 4k relays go?

OH Impressive time for your marathon especially after the last weekimageimage

Yellow52 well done on the 5k  interesting course and race logistics!

Olliepop hope manchester was OK

Cal Well done great start the pace will stick eventuallyimageimagepity the chip failed

SC Great 10 mile run interesting weather!

Tek nice evening run sounds like you've had a good week

NP good multiple runs of your club traill race ( what's the route like?)

MG1 happy days in the sun

Left our cozy hobbit hole at 0500 and arrived at the race start in Keswick at 0530. Beautiful start to an excellent day. Keswick Mountain Festival 50K Trail Race started at 0600.

Fantastic route, raced with some great people brilliant race marshalls. Chip time was 6h28m44s 33.6 miles and 6003feet of ascent. Came in at 46th place and 3rd in the super vets v. happy. Thanks to my family who supported me. Will write a more complete report later.

• Options
    Night NurseNight Nurse ✭✭✭

SC saw your 10 miler on Strava  well done

SM6 was also out early for a 10 miler this morning , posted before I had even got out of bed

Yellow52 some times it isn't about the times but the bling ! image still not a bad time for a dodgy course

Tek nice mileage for the week

S17 this is the place for marathon advice so listen and learn

NP superb park run time as ever and sounds like an enjoyable sunny 10 today

MG1 nice10 and  lucky you as well getting out in the sun, it was a soggy run for me today

Cal well run but and I hope you get a time sorted ...how annoying about the chip ! reminds me of my first ever london marathon !! I didn't realise till I got to the finish and stuck my foot out for the chip to be removed  that it had fallen off !! it was back in the days they gave a  Tyvek strip which we stuck on rather than a plastic tie and I didnt think to lace it through my trainers  I along with several others had to wait weeks for an official time it was wet and loads had the same problem

OH you must be shattered after all that and well done to Els for showing how the girls do it

4k (2.5miles) relays well that was painfull ! it was a dismal night wet and windy 44 teams in all 12 ladies teams , we had 1 senior and 2 WV35 and me old granny to make the senior team  I ran second in our team which I was happy about  not so much pressure, first to lady came in at 14.47 !! the second woman  ( the fastest local and one of the fastest WV50  nationally ( check out  CATHERINE NEWMAN Exmouth Harriers )  came in   15,05, our first runner came in at 16.23 then it was my turn I managed to overtake the girl that  had gone off 1 minute in front of me from another team, I just about hung on to 6.50mm  for the first 2 miles but the last 0.5 of a mile (sorry I run in miles not k no matter the distance ) was into a terrible head wind , I ran 17.21 so quite happy considering the conditions the next girl in our team ran 15.20 the last 15.10 so I was way slower than the others but fast  enough to nab us the second prize  it was a brilliant  new event that was spoilt by rotten weather a lot of hanging around to run 4k then of course waiting  to see how the others get on ..

6.5 soggy miles yesterday

3 soggy  mikes this morning and them this afternoon when the sun came out I headed for the pool and  went swimming and got soggy again 50X 25M FC in 30 mins

Weather looking better for tomorrow long run of  15 miles planned with a friend

• Options

Actually fairly laid back about 3-1

To beat your wife once in a week is perhaps acceptable image but twice a week might be deemed as "domestic"! imageimage

Delayed by motorcycle accident on way back so missed ferry and having to spend night in Thurso image

Well done Cal

Run well, MG7 yellow52

• Options
    OlliepopOlliepop ✭✭✭

Evening.

Yellow 52: Well done, sounds a difficult 5k with the congestion but well run. image
    MG7: Great running, sounds tough.  Well done, fantastic stuff. image

Great Manchester Run ran in 36:50, so a good day at the races for me. image
    Splits: 3k - 10:54, 5k - 18:10, 8k - 29:40.

Started fast-ish, slowed the pace a bit after 5k, sped back up after 8k gradually getting faster through 9k, with a sprint finish around 200 metres from the finish, so very strong at the end.

Had a couple of post run pints... whilst waiting for my brother to start/finish, he was in a later wave so plenty of drinking time, but I paced myself in the pub too. image

S'later. image

Have a good day. image
  • Options
    OlliepopOlliepop ✭✭✭

Morning. image

Sub17: Best of luck with the race targets, sounds like some good times to aim for. image
    HM4: Thanks. image
    Cal: Hope the time does get sorted, what a shame.  Still a great run and 'unofficial' PB. image
    MG1: Nice sunny 6 miles, good stuff. image
    NP: Just took a gander at the parkrun, the course map sort of looks like a person bowling. image  Nice 10 miles, are you running in Tuesday's trail race? image
    Teknik: Ah, not looking hard enough, I appeared for about 3 frames in the background of a shot of a mass of people. image  Nice 4.3 miles and 44 weekly miles. image
    Yellow: Aha, sure I spotted Mourinho scaling Old Trafford and lobbing van Gaal's belongings out, though may just be race delerium. image  Great running in the 5k yesterday, and nice going on placing 8th overall. image
    SC: Nice 10 miles in the changing conditions, and good weekly mileage totted up too. image
    MG7: Once again, well done on the 50k, look forward to the report in due course.  Sounds like you enjoyed the course anyway. image
    NN: Good going on the relays, well done.  Nice running the past couple of days too, enjoy the 15 miles today, image
    OH: Aha, 3-1 not bad at all, not too far off a Desmond though. image  Hope there's no more travel kerfuffle today though.  Well done on last week's running! image

- - - - - - - - - - -

Will be 10 miles today, done at easy pace. image
    Last week was 40.2 miles overall.  Think this week will be my last week without any specific speed work, then will start reintroducing it from next week. image

Have a good day. image

Have a good day. image
  • Options

Ollie - Cracking 10k yesterday, well doneimage Is that a PB? Good luck with the 10 later

OH - Brilliant week of running, topped off with a fine marathonimage Hope you make it home todayimage

NN - Great racing, well done on the team prize. Hope you get the long run in todayimage

Michael - Looking forward to the race report, but that sounds like you've ran a tough race very well! Brilliantimage

Stewart - Well done on the 10, and good total for the weekimage

Yellow - Well done on the 5k, still a good time even if it's not the one you wanted!image

Tek - Good total for the weekimage

NP - 52 turns in a parkrun??? I'd get dizzy! We've got 6... Sounds like a good 10 miles yesterdayimage

Cal - Well done on the 10k, and it's very likely you did run 10k. Garmins can be very unreliable, so enjoy the PBimage

MG - Nice parkrun on Saturdayimage

---------

Not much running for me over the weekend, I've really not slept well at all. Marshalled at parkrun on Saturday, Gym on Friday, and last night. 10 very early yesterday, at a reasonable pace. Going out for 13-15 shortly, I'll try to reel the pace in a bit with Sunday in mind.

• Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭

Great run Ollie!

Well done on the 10, Stuart. I've just volunteered for parkrun too. I'll be doing the run report in two weeks' time (being a former magazine journalist, it would be a shame not to put my writing skills to good use!)

Awake very eary today so pit for a run a little before 6am. Beautiful out at that time. Took it fairly easy - I was going to run four miles but it was lovely enough out there that I stayed out for a little over 5. Easyish pace - 10:19 average.

Left hammy is grumpy after Saturday so I need to go roll it out or something.

• Options

Cal - That's a good way to start the week, a nice early 5image

---------

15 @ 8:20s done. Slower than my last 15, but a lumpier route. Felt pretty tough, so glad to have it done. Back to bed now, well, if the clown outside with the power tools shuts up...

• Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Well done guys & great reports.

------

No running for me yesterday - we dashed up to Norwich as Chris' Grandad had a heart attack and didn't get back until very late last night. 

• Options
    Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭

Cal- ignore the Garmin distance. It's a guide but not accurate on a twisty course. So long as it's officially measured (and not in Manchester image ) then all is well. Let's hope you get an official time so you can celebrate a PB.

Ollie - great 10k time!

OH - bonkers week. Respect!!

Nice parkrunning (and turning) NP!

NN - 2nd team! image 

MG7 - awesome!

MG1 good parkrun+.

Yellow - champion V40 (and PB!)! image

Tek and Stewart - Good consistent consistency!

My wet suit finally arrived on Saturday and, thankfully, it fit ... so I had my very first go at open water swimming on Sunday morning with Wakefield Tri club. I started well enough, but then after 5 minutes took in a big mouthful of water and kind of went a bit to pot ... breathing was erratic and I was starting to think that I may be out of my depth. However, I did a bit of breaststroke while trying to get the subdued panic attack from surfacing. About half way around the 500m loop, I reverted to front crawl, found my rhythm, and it was fine. Another two loops followed and I actually really enjoyed it (apart from the rash on the back of my neck ... body glide next time!).

• Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭

Good news - Runthrough have given me the time so it's now official. I can claim my PB.

And thanks for the Garmin info - it was a 3 lap race with some sharp turns so I guess that's why that happened. Now that I look back at last year's 10Ks, the Garmin measured all of them a little short, so I'm definitely claiming this one. image

HM4 - Sending good vibes your way. I hope he's OK.

Dr Dan - I don't think anything would persuade me to throw myself into unheated water willingly. I once tried having a cold bath (not even an ice bath!) after a long run and I got as far as my ankles before thinking, screw that, I'm out of here! I'm basically a cat when it comes to water.

• Options

Sunday: I ran a 14 mile long run at 7 minute mile pace average.

Today: I ran 10km on treadmill in 39 mins.

Tuesday: will be a rest day.

On Wed and Thursday: I will run 4 mile treadmill runs + easy weights.

Friday: will be a rest day ahead of my Park Run on Saturday.

• Options

Home and 4 mile easy recovery tonight with 4 Cape Wrath marathon co-runners

It's even better without a wetsuit, Calimage

• Options
    TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

NP good 10 miler in the sun

yellow PB !imageimage and nice v40 win too

Stewart well done on the 10m and 40m for the week

Michael fantastic running, well done indeed image

NN sounded like a hard relay race, well done, congrats on the silverimage

Ollie 36:50 ! Cracking pace

Stuart nice pace for the 15m, hope you got some sleep

Cal PBimage, glad you got it sorted

HM sorry to hear that, best wishes

Dr Dan lol, well done on the swim

Sub17 nice training, well done and good luck for Saturday

OH glad you made it back after an epic week; nice recovery run

---

Just a short shopping jog plus some strides for me.

• Options
    OlliepopOlliepop ✭✭✭

Cheers all. image

Will reply fully tomorrow but managed an unplanned double today, so 2 x 10 miles for 20 total, though Tuesday's run will be shortened in light of today's load, but happy my legs can still churn out some decent distance. image

Oh, well done Cal on the confirmed PB, glad the kerfuffle was sorted!

Have a good day. image
  • Options

NN: Well done with relay effort

Ollie: excellent sub 37 mins for 10km.

SM6: Good 15 miler in a touch over 2 hours.

Stew: Nice 10 mile canal run.

Tek: 44 miles is a good weekly total.

---

My final 2 long runs will be 12 miles this Sunday and 10 miles next Sunday ahead of my Marathon on June 12.

I will take 3 gels during my Marathon and see how it works out. A small drink at most of the drink stations will help keep my hydration levels up. 

I will have a protein shake and a strong coffee about 2 hours before my race start.