Comrades 2016

Comments

• PG3PG3 ✭✭✭

i still havent got my tracking email.  I want to do the facebook link.  Can anyone post it here or do you need to do it from the email directly?

I am leaving in less than 4 hours!

• Mac3Mac3 ✭✭✭

PG3 - seems to be personalised with race and chip no.  My email arrived last night.  Maybe send an email to the general comrades address to follow up? info@comrades.com By the time you arrive you can probably sort it from hotel's wifi.  Maybe someone more technical can advise better!  Glad the chicken pox is behind you and you are on your way soon!

• PG3PG3 ✭✭✭

Thanks Mac3, i just emailed them to ask for it.  

Thinking about it.....maybe I didnt get one as i dont have a chip?  I am getting mine at the expo....  Maybe i have to link to FB then?

• Mac3Mac3 ✭✭✭

I'm also collecting a new chip but the email I received includes a reference to the chip number allocated to me.  Looking at previous posts the sending of emails from the organisers seems a bit random!

• Bad day my purse was stolen while  I was getting changed following my last Sauna!!  I was a bit groggy and therefore careless!! Lucky  I  have my travel money, not a good way to spend my day . Still need to finish packing and planning trying not too feel down, planned eating has gone to pot image on the plus point I had a good run at the track before the Sauna........

• Any recommendations for travel insurance?

• Slow DuckSlow Duck ✭✭✭

Patricia - sorry to hear that. I hope now that you've got all your bad luck out of the way before you travel.

Who          Pen  Number       Time Targets

Bike It       B       49072         (a) sub-9 (b) around 8:30 (c) sub-11

Peter        C       47902         (a) sun-9 (b) finish

SBArab    C        27241         (a) Sub 9 (b) sub 9:51 my CPB (c) Finish 

John1948 C       18237         (a) sub-9   (b) sub 10:33  (c) finish

Becca7 C           20607        (a) sub-10 (b) sub 11 (c) finish

SlowDuck           9436         (a) Bronze (b) Vic Clapham

lowrez       CC    10878         (a) finish (b) sweeper wagon (c) bar

Pip             CC    20462         (a) finish (b) sweeper wagon (c) abandoned on road side

• marty74marty74 ✭✭✭

Patricia - think of the positives and look forward to a great trip. Don't get too down.

SlowDuck           9436         (a) Bronze (b) Vic Clapham

Pip             CC    20462         (a) finish (b) sweeper wagon (c) abandoned on road side

Marty74       C     20885        (a) sub 9.30   (b) sub 10   (c) sub 11

• Slow DuckSlow Duck ✭✭✭

Sorry missed out my pen...

SlowDuck C          9436         (a) Bronze (b) Vic Clapham

• XXX Lex XXXXXX Lex XXX ✭✭✭
    Hello - can anyone remember what the deal was with the Hilton with Comrades code - is it just room only ? I really can't remember . Thanks
  • PG3PG3 ✭✭✭

At the airport image trying to see if I can spot comrades runner's but there is only one potential. I will see if he goes to board the Durban flight at Dubai. You can 99% spot triathletes as they are always kitted out (says she with an ironman hoody and bag)

Debra I used insure and go but only because they will cover an ultra. Usually I just so a confused.com or similar search.

ph that's rubbish about your purse. Can you get replacement cards in time? I know I store loads of stuff in mine so losing it wouldn't be good.

• I think I didn't actually book for Bruce's party on Monday. Too late? Anyone got the details for how to book? (The last several weeks have been chaos, for various reasons).

Patricia: sympathies; that's really rotten luck.

• lowrezlowrez ✭✭✭

Patricia - good to see you being positive about your run despite their being some scum in your sauna. Hope you can get all your important bits replaced quickly, but all you really need is Oliver, your SA cash, the heap of friends you are heading towards,a certain 55 mile road, and a back-to-back medal image

• lowrezlowrez ✭✭✭

Debra - Dog Tag Insurance is mentioned several times on RW for ultras - I haven't purchased any yet either, been searching today and Dog Tag is the only one that is so switched on you can buy it straight off their website without talking to any one, just step through the questions - its a bit pricey to others I've used in the past but I now realise the wording in those policies were "just" marathons, no mention of ultras. For ease of hassle I'm probably going to purchase from them - although I have an issue bubbling at the moment which is why I'm leaving it till very last minute.

After party tickets are here

• lowrezlowrez ✭✭✭

Lex - I'm pretty sure all Hilton rooms include breakfast - mine did last year - although I too find it hard to locate any declaration of that.

• lowrezlowrez ✭✭✭

I have entered a temporary twilight zone - bereavement of a family friend - very sad, but not overly close to me, at a practical level it could mean arrangements at home allowing me to travel could be unravelling. I won't really know the consequences for another 24 hours or so.  

• PG3 - good work with the nails image . I did zebra print last year, it may not have made me any faster but it did keep me occupied on the Saturday afternoon.

I'd recommend Dogtag. They're not particularly cheap (the annual policy is much better value than single trip though) but they have specific policies that cover ultra runners - very few ordinary travel policies will cover you for races of more than marathon distance (and many won't even cover that). Also, they paid up very promptly when I lost my running watch last year.
  • MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭

Excuse me for dropping in on this special thread. I'm just back from a stay in Durban. Ten days ago I ran the North Beach Parkrun which is an out and back along their great seafront. I know they're expecting many Comrades runners to join them on Saturday. They start at 8 o'clock. They get large numbers; 1500 when I ran. But it is a very relaxed run, with many finishing after an hour. So enjoy; the place is buzzing! 

• lowrezlowrez ✭✭✭

Lex - Yes, breakfast included, original offer document here (you may need to sign in to facebook)

• lowrezlowrez ✭✭✭

Hi MrM2 - I can recommend a very good book for you by a member of our thread: Parkrun : much more than just a run in the park by Debra Bourne

Many of us are lined up to Parkrun on Saturday, thanks for reminding us, we are definitely buzzing image:- 

Saturday Parkrun 8am – DFYB!
    North Beach - Mr K, Mc Hilly, Dannirr, zuluboy, PATRICIAhopeful, Slow Duck, Debra Bourne, justanothrrnr, Wilfmannion, caashford
    Umhlanga - 
    Mac3

• Mc HillyMc Hilly ✭✭✭

Been away a couple of days, and lots of posts to catch up on. Patrica sorry to hear about your purse image . lowrez, sorry to hear your news, hope you're able to travel.

for insurance, I'm with insure and go, I know I read the small print last year, but haven't this year..... I'm working on the theory it is called Comrades Marathon and not comrades ultra..... But hope I dont have to argue my case!

looking forward to flying tomorrow, alarm set so I can get up early and pack before work....feeling very disorganised. 

McHilly.        D      12749.       (a) sub 11 (b) finish

Mc Hilly - I am with insure and go too -  I rang them and they said as long as I was not in with a chance of podium it should not be a problem ??!! oh how I laughed ! I got them to double check the distance and that was fine.

Lowrez thanks for the information on the breakfast at the Hilton - shame I can only take advantage on the Saturday as we leave 5:30 am on Monday.

• lowrez: thank you for the link (saves me trawling back, and back, and back) - and I guess everyone will be there?

Dogtag noted for the future - not needed alas for this time. But I've found a normal one online, just incase there's a huge foul-up somewhere in the next six days.

lowrez: good luck for your arrangements NOT unravelling. Sympathies: even if it all works out okay, you didn't need the uncertainty at this point.

MrM2: Thanks. As I will, by necessity, be walking rather than running North Beach, it's nice to have confirmation I will be far from the only person doing so - although I did know that really from when I researched the book.

DFYB everyone!

Lowrez hope everything works out for you . 

• John1946John1946 ✭✭✭
    Flight from London delayed so now sitting in JNB airport waiting for the 12.30 BA flight to Durban. Fabulous weather here - cool but sunny.

Patricia - what a rotten thing to happen. Losing cards and ID is always a hassle but I'm sure you'll get your focus back long before Sunday.

Lowrez - sorry to hear of the family bereavement. If I recall correctly you set up this thread way back in June or July last year. It would be really unfortunate if you were now unable to join us. Fingers crossed.
  • WilfmannionWilfmannion ✭✭✭

Well, I'm packed and now at work. Heading to the airport from the office tonight.

For those who's insurance doesn't cover them, like my annual policy (free from my bank) there is a top up company who will insure you just for the day of the event. It's less than £9 for Comrades and they're called Sports Cover Direct. Might be worth it for peace of mind.

On the subject of finishing targets, I feel woefully under-prepared with the injuries earlier in the year and haven't run more than a marathon at any stage. So I just want to finish but would be ecstatic with a sub 11 in my current state. 

wilfmannion    C    18378    (a) Bronze  (b) Vic Clapham  (c) Not permanently injuring myself

• Lowrez, hope all okay.

Patricia, that's rotten to have stuff stolen.

Well at least made Paris so far. Only problem, I made Paris last night 10pm. Still here - in hotel. . Flight cancelled and now going 3pm approx.. Meaning I'm in stuck in JBG at 2-3 am. Ah the joys. No idea when I get to Durban.

Hopefully join you Saturday park run?
  • I'm insured with DirectLine.  I phoned them on Monday to check i was covered and had a very amusing call with the assistant mishearing me and assuring and thinking i was running 6 miles.  I corrected him and he asked "Is that like a marathon?" to which I replied " A bit- except its more than twice as far"!  But I was covered because we have a higher cover for skiing anyway.

wilfmannion    C    18378    (a) Bronze  (b) Vic Clapham  (c) Not permanently injuring myself

Old Shadowfax B         32363   (a) sub 9 (b) bronze (c) finish

Debra- I'll be in my orange personalised parkrun T shirt.  See you later.

Fit-Running-Cat

Are you flying Air France ? we are booked on with them tomorrow night.  Flying Manchester Paris-JBG-Durban  - hope you managed to get an early flight to Durban!

• Yes. As Lowrez mentioned after I'd booked (doh) AF have a poor reputation. Seems all the SA people brought their PJs with them. So go figure.

We fly at 3:30pm now. Hope that's not your plane that should've returned back that we are on...