Sub 3h15

Comments

• MsEMsE ✭✭✭

... and training on a heavier bike makes for a stronger rider, GD image

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭
    And let's not forget the Grifter! ????
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

Nice 5Ks from PMJ and Leslie.

3000m for me on Tuesday at local open meet.  10.50.3 was a 17s improvement on my league outing a few weeks back,but more importantly I didn't pace it like a twat, so this time my lap splits were all within about a second of each other, whereas last time they went from a fastest of about 82s to a slowest of about 92s.  Sadly the fastest one was first.  This time: evenly paced and felt strong throughout.  Hurrah!

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

Wicked skills, Joolster!

GM: Let us not forget the full bike series' for all ages:
    Chipper, Tomohawk, Chopper
    Boxer, Striker, Grifter

Great days!

GD

• My first two or three bikes had solid metal for all the brake components other than the pads themselves: no cables or similar: now that was heavy.

• AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

My brother had a Grifter, I had a yellow Boxer that I loved until getting a junior road bike at about 12.

Poacher, I faced a similar dilemma to you but didn't have the budget (or intent to ride hundreds of miles to make a big investment worthwhile), so went for the cheap end of the spectrum and got one of these: http://roadandmountainbike.co.uk/mafiabikes/mafiabikes-tr6-interceptor-review-new-bike-on-the-block/

Now I know more money would buy me a much better bike, but compared to my old, heavy, slow MTB, this is a very different machine and experience. Not saying you have to go quite that cheap, but you don't have to spend £000s unless you're a serious bike nut who would get value out of the investment like SJ.

Great work at the White Peak from Gul and Poacher - recover well chaps! Impressive runs for differing reasons, but you should both be proud of your efforts.

Some speedy and consistent training being put in by many others.

Still doing a bit here, the now weekly 5k time trial as part of a 7.5 miler came out at 19:47 today. Not quite sure where that came from, some 33 seconds quicker than last week, and I think a pavement PB. Certainly very close to my old 5k PB, but then I haven't raced one for years!

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Good pacing Jools & important that you feel strong. And great 5k time Abbers, always good to be near PB territory.

I was a Chopper boy. I was too grown up when BMX came along. Whenever I see anything about modern bike costs or component costs I'm very glad to remain a runner.

Planning to get along for a club session tonight. Haven't been for ages. The back of my knee is still sore but doesn't seem to be affecting my pace or training. 

• PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭

Thanks for all the bike gen folks. Very helpful. My targets are to do a duathlon, however slow; and maybe next summer to do the Vatternrundan which is a sportive-type 300k round a lake in Sweden. Can't see how I could do this without a road bike and a year of training but it's a worthy target.

http://vatternrundan.se/en

Nice running Abbers, Joolska....Birch have you entered that mara yet?image

• SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭
    That looks veeeeeerrrry interesting Poacher. Nice comfy, yet fast Giant Defy would be spot on.

Also a chopper boy here then graduated into the world of "scally on a bmx" - diamond back I seem to recall....

Nice one Abbers. Lovely bit of latent speed in the legs.

Excellent result Jools and very funny write up.

Big swim set early doors and then imploded on the bike this evening. Might need a rest day....
  • SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭
    Moof, are you half IM simulating this weekend as per Fink? Have your legs recovered from VLM yet?
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭

no, Poacher -seriously- I'm really not sure my legs are up to another campaign - although 11 today felt ok , so 31 in 3 days done.    

• Bike ItBike It ✭✭✭
    Sorry chaps but been staying away from this forum due to my difficulties to reach the start line this Sunday. I've had to consider pulling out or running only half the race and walking or quit the race. I've had more pain in my leg and just run 10km this week. I've been to the physio again today and later had a cortisone injection at the doctor's to try and reduce the inflammation and pain. My doctor has 8 Comrades finishes so is very sympathetic. He has given me 2 packs of magic pills (haven't checked the WADA list) as well. He got me to the start in 2013 after getting tonsillitis with 42 hours to go, so a huge reason to trust him.

Take care GM and best wishes for getting this understood and resolved.

Good to see a few fast 5kms going on, particularly Leslie after a long lay off
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭

fingers x'd for you, BikeIt - take care  .. . . . .

• BI - everything still crossed for you. You deserve to not only make it to the finish line, but also to the tent at the end with a Bill Rowan medal round your neck.

For those hunting for bikes, well worth looking at the tax benefits of the Cycle to Work scheme. A combo of that, plus a discount from Wiggle, meant that I ended up getting  a bottom of the range but still decent carbon frame road bike for the equivalent of about £35 a month for 12 months. Bargain.

Abo smackdown - I'll be there! 

10 miles worth of commuting runs yesterday and just under 10 hilly miles this morning. Probably a rest day tomorrow then a medium length run on Box Hill on Saturday before heading off on holiday - the only question is whether there's room for anything other than a week's worth of running gear in my case. image

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭
    Bike it - I really hope you get to run and run as well as you deserve to be able to. Thank you!

Abbers - To be able to run that quick in a training run is very impressive! Well done indeed.

G-Dawg - I don't recall the boxer but a friend had a tomahawk. That was a little cracker.

Lorenzo - Nice dilemma to have. ????

A friend of mine just offered me indefinite use of a GIANT road bike tonight. He doesn't use it at all. He's a very generous sort and I thanked him but I'm keen to get my own and one that suits me.
  • GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭
    Lorenzo - iPhone seems to insert question marks instead of a smiley face. : )
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

Poacher - 2nd Oct isn't good for me (niece's 21st!), and if it were I would be tempted to return to Mablethorpe. My preferred alternative to Abingdon is Leicester.
    Birch - take care now.
    Jools - nice pacing for a great 3k.
    Abbers - excellent progress for a sub 20.
    SJ - you have certainly earned a rest!
    Bike It - really sorry to hear of your woes. You've worked really hard for this, so I hope the injection and pills can work their magic.
    Lorenzo - enjoy your running! Sorry, I meant holiday.
    First run post WP this morning. 6 miles @ 9:11 m/m. Even dusted the HRM down and registered an average of 133 bpm. Felt really good.

• Fish52Fish52 ✭✭✭

Best of luck Bike It for Comrades. You have put in an impressive campaign, so I hope that everything holds together for you on the Sunday.

GM, that sounds like an offer too good to refuse! I have a Dawes Galaxy as my trusty steed. Nice and comfy, long wheel base - bliss.

It's an F1 family fun Bank Holiday weekend of running, in 2 fine capital cities. My eldest son & his wife are travelling north to Edinburgh for the Edinburgh Half Marathon, whilst my youngest son and his girl friend are going south with me and Mrs. F1 to London. We are staying with my daughter and her partner, conveniently placed for the Vitality London 10000 on Monday. I feel a bit like PMJ and OO and hope that I can hold off the youngsters!

• PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭

Bike It - only you can know whether to start. I'm sure you will make the right decision. Is it Rowan or nothing? Bronze is a heck of a lot easier and under the circs might represent a terrific result.  Good luck with whatever you decide to do - fingers crossed.

Lorenzo - the cycle to work scheme is good in many ways but but discriminates against the self employed (1 in 7 of the workforce) + various other sectors.

• FreemersFreemers ✭✭✭

Keeping everything crossed for you Bike It.

While you boys were out on your Grifters and Choppers, us girls had this.....I give you the Rayleigh Shopper!

/members/images/152897/Gallery/untitled.png

Oh yes, those were the days... image

• Lorenzo wrote (see)

before heading off on holiday - the only question is whether there's room for anything other than a week's worth of running gear in my case. image

What do you pack? I frequently travel long haul and I never check baggage and I have done two weeks working (formal clothes) in the US with a weekend race sandwiched in the middle so trainers and racing flats and my monster 17 inch screen laptop all in hand luggage.

• PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭

Yes but most of Lorenzo's baggage allowance is filled by his stash of Scotch eggs...don't want to breadcrumbs to fall off, that would be worse that a toothpaste explosion.

Great bike Freemers! - #everydaysexism was certainly part of bike design in the good ol' days image

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

Everything crossed for you, BikeIt.

Nothing exciting this end: yesterday was a rest day!

• SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭
    BI!! Hoping it comes together at the last minute for you.

Freemers, now THAT is a bike.

Enjoy the hols Lorenzo. Anywhere exotic?

+1 for cycle to work scheme. Now self employed so purchased latest bike (and deep rim carbon wheels) as a company vehicle (for "short journeys") so offset against Corp tax. No benefit in kind liability eitherimage
  • BadbarkBadbark ✭✭✭

Good luck Bike it, I hope your body holds together. I’ve no doubt your mind will!

I’ve picked up a bit of a niggle myself. My left knee cap is sore to the touch and while running hurts more the longer I stride. Not ideal with what I have planned over the next 4 weeks!

• SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭
    Prospective bike purchasers: had email through just now for a Giant Defy 4 at Tredz.co.uk for 525, ally frame and carbon forks and v solid bike

http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Giant-Defy-4-2016-Road-Bike_84153.htm

Code SAVE75 to get 75 pounds off orders over 500 and can then get 0% finance

Looks a good deal and available until Monday
  • Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭

Birch- 31 in 3 days and no mara your havin a larf !image

Bikeit I hope you can make the start (and the finish)  after such a great campaign image

Badbark-its only taper madness (I hope)

Gul- nice easy run.

Freemers- nice bike image

• Bike ItBike It ✭✭✭

Thank for the good wishesimage

I had a Puch racing bike in the day.  Nice it was.  My sister had exactly the same as in Freemer's photo

I arrived in Durban and there is a hell of a buzz here.  Its a massive running party zone.  I'm saving browsing through the expo until tomorrow.

I've been to see the premier league semi-final netball tonight (my wife is one of the university coaches and also the coach for the Northwest Province development team).  Our North West Flames team got knocked out at the semi-final stage in the last 4 minutes of the game.  But exciting game nevertheless. Then I been for dinner with the Comrades threadsters.  

Leg much better today after physio and doctor whilst sitting and walking.  I've no-idea how it will respond when I run.  So my plan is to start running at Bill Rowan pace (sub-9) and see what happens.  I may be able to sustain that pace for 9 hours, maybe only a few hours.  I will only find out on the road.

Loving your company bike SJ.

I've got a job interview on wednesday to which I'm looking forwardimage

• Fish52Fish52 ✭✭✭

Great upbeat post there Bike It. Good luck for both tomorrow and Wednesday.

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Indeed, good luck Bikeit!

18:09 at the parkrun today. Had a feeling it would go well but haven't been that quick for ages so well chuffed.