Running Shoes / arch support insoles

Hello, I'm running a marathon on Sunday and recently bought some Scholls archy type insoles for overpronation which seem to work nicely.

My runners are mizuno wave inspires - cushioning and support...  If I continue running in these without their original insole and with the scholls insole will I lose some of that cushioning?  Should I instead tape myself a false arch and use the original Mizuno insoles??

Any advice would be gratefully accepted!

Thanks.

T

Comments

• HA77HA77 ✭✭✭

Do whatever you've done in training. Don't go trying new things on race day.

• Ok, think I'll strap my foot and use the running shoe insert....  Have strapped it before and works well so don't need to double the arch support but would probably benefit from the comfort original insole.  Thanks HH77.

• HA77HA77 ✭✭✭

I would only be strapping your foot like you suggest if you've done that for long training runs. You can try other things later.

• I've strapped it for a 12 mile run and it really helped my knee but appreciate this might not be a good indication of how it will feel for double that +

So I need to decide which would be the least damaging thing to do - strap my foot and avoid a pain in my knee but possibly irritate my foot or don't strap and have my knee hurt....  It's a toughee...

• HA77HA77 ✭✭✭

Did your knee flare up for longer runs without the strapping? The problem with strapping is that is has a tendancy to pull away and bunch up in your shoe after a while. If this happens you could always stop and remove it, which would probably only cost you a couple of minutes. It depends on how important a couple of minutes are to you. Good luck

• It did - the strapping really helped to keep my knee properly aligned...  I'll give it a go - as you say I can whip it off if it plays up.

Thanks for your replies. 

• NessieNessie ✭✭✭

I agree that you shouldn't try anything new on race day, but for the future - I use Superfeet insoles for arch support in all my running shoes (and walking Boots).  I don't find there's much loss of cushioning, as most running shoe insoles are pretty insubstantial anyway.  What to avoid is the half length ones (designed for "proper" shoes) as these can run to the front of the arch and give you blisters.

Good luck on Sunday!

• If you are a runner then it is possible that you have frequent flat feet but you can try some arch support insoles for flat feet. I think you should not tape yourself a false arch and use the original Mizuno insoles. But, there are some best arch support insoles for flat feet that can help you a lot and make your feel much comfortable with such insoles. Some of the powerful and effective arch support insoles are:
    • Powerstep Pinnacle Premium Insoles
    • SOLE Signature DK Response Footbeds
    • Powerstep Pinnacle Maxx Full Length Orthotic Shoe Insoles
    • Samurai Insoles Orthotics for Flat Feet
    • Superfeet Green Heritage Insoles
    • Sof Sole Airr Full-Length Performance Gel Shoe Insole
    You can try these arch support insoles and get rid of several foot issues like flat feet that causes during running and more.
  • With the perfect fit and perfect color for men, this has all that you need. It is a versatile shoe that will go to the gym and still be your running companion. It is designed to be physically attractive. Its comfort is unsurpassed and you will love all that it is giving you. Moreover, the foot support is something you will love and keep buying this shoe every other time you go out shopping for a trainer shoe.
  • The foot is a spring and is meant to move! Dont add a support that will drive your foot in the opposite direction. Strengthen your feet so you don't waste your money. If you want to be a customer for life and have weaker feet over time get orthotics. 

If you want to not rely upon orthotics for life, consider strengthening your feet and walking barefoot on grass or sand. It is not good business sense for podiatrists to tell their patients to strengthen their feet. Podiatrists have families to feed and need people to depend upon orthotics for life.