Sub 3h15

Comments

• SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭
    18:09!! Not surprised you are pleased with that. Well done OO!

All the best to BI!
  • Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭

0053- you are flying where did that come from image,you were struggling to get to get back to 18:30 last I heard ! 

5 last night and 5 much slower ones this morn at 5:45am image

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

Top bombing OO, superb time!

Good luck BI. Looks like it's going to be just fine.image

Spent all of yesterday at the BMW PGA golf at Wentworth. I go every year with some pals, love it. My fitness app said I covered over 10 miles yesterday. It was a long time on feet.

So this morning I went for a 10 miler. From the first steps both hamstrings felt very tight. I decided to just do LSR/fatburning pace as it was the longest run since VLM. Averaged 7.55 which is fine but the quicker efforts in the week and the golf certainly had an impact on quality today.

GD

• BadbarkBadbark ✭✭✭

Bike It – That goods news about your leg. Bill Rowan all the way!

OO – Excellent 18:09 Parkrun. That’s very nippy indeed.

GD – Steady 10 miler

Well in true Madbark style I got a little carried away in my Parkrun this morning. My plan was to take it easy until the last half mile and finish fast. This was to burn of some glycogen and I would start carbo loading right after.

I ran at what felt like a comfortable pace and only looked at my watch after 2 miles. I was surprised to see I’d run the last mile at 6:10 pace which is HMP. Yikes, a little bit faster than planned! I was running with another couple of guys who looked about my age. I held off until the last ¼ mile and then really tanked it.

The other two decided to race too and it ended up a three way sprint to the finish. I won our private battle and have since found out that I finished in 19:16. I ran the last ¼ mile at 5:15 pace.

Not the smartest thing I have ever done with a dodgy knee and a marathon tomorrow. Oh well, Madbark strikes again. I’m icing my knee as I type and it will be interesting to see how I perform at the Newry Marathon tomorrow.

• OO - your times get quicker and quicker!! awesome running.

BI - good luck

G Dawg - Hope the hammies recover quickly.

BadBark - Thats the sort of thing I find myself doing, Hopefully all will be well for the marathon tomorrow. 19:16 is a great park run time.

Am at work all weekend so no parkrun for me, but have managed 20 miles this week with half of those at 5k pace so the knee is definitely on the mend, about 90% fit now I reckon. Looking forward to getting the miles back up and running a few races in June.

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Not smart at all BB but we expect nothing lessimage

Good effort GD, very decent pace.

c15 tomorrow to get me in the mid 50's.  

• Bike ItBike It ✭✭✭

Good park running from OO and BB.

All ready to go - get up at 1:30 for a 5:30 start 90km away by bus.  Number on, clothes laid out, tog bag packed.  Very excited nowimage.

Leg feels OK.  The first few km will tell and I will see what can be done.  Target is firmly sub-9 finish, although I have to be happy just to finish if that is what will happen.

I'm number 49072 on the day - target pace is to get to Drummond/ halfway in 4:10 to 4:20 and then 'just' keep under an average 6 minutes per km for the remaining 45km. Tracking can be done via Comrades website

I saw Elle Greenwood today eating a packet of crisps on the seafront - food of champions (she had to withdraw from the race because of injury)

• Good news BI. Hope you're asleep now - even Gul doesn't get up that early to start running!!

Wow OO - cracking time.

SuItaly bonkers bit of last minute prep from Madbark.

15 and a bit miles up and around Box Hill this morning, before packing and heading off to the airport. Now in Kraków before heading into the Tatra mountains tomorrow.

• Good parkruns by OO and badbark.

Did 19:23 myself which is a nice step up form the 19.4x I have done the last few weeks. At the back of my mind I was hoping to do an 19.3x and then maybe get under 19.30 in a few weeks time so I consider I am a few weeks ahead of plan. Need to try and get at least 18.xx sometime this year.

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

Bike it - Go well and I can't wait to hear all about it.

PMJ - Very tidy result. I like your target!

OO - I knew you had it in you! Great running and I bet junior being so fast is a motivator. Gotta show them who's boss.image

Jason - Good news re the knee.

Lorenzo - Enjoy your holiday.

Badbark - Hope all is ok and good luck!

G-Dawg - Watch that hamstring issue, sensible pacing for your run.

Has been very warm here the past few days and everywhere I look I see runners. Oh to be running in the sunshine. I marshalled the local parkrun today and it was fun. I've done a bit of bike research and some groundwork in terms of what is on offer here and I'm a bit out of my depth to be honest. The one thing about living here is that we are very limited in terms of what we can buy from a store and I've looked online and there are so many more options available and less expensive too. Not sure if I will go down the road bike route yet, might consider a hybrid version but I think it's not going to be an impulsive buy that's for sure.

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

Fishy - all the best for the race tomorrow.
    Poacher - how did the Luxembourgh HM go?
    Bike It - pleased to hear the leg has improved. Hoping it holds up and you can give it your best shot today.
    OO - Fast parkrun!
    Lesle - nice early run.
    GD - that's not too tortoise like for a slow run!
    Badbark - good warm-up for the marathon - all the best.
    JT - good to hear things are progressing nicely.
    Lorenzo - nice hilly run before your holiday.
    PMJ - good parkrun.
    Another slow run today. 10 miles @ 9:11 m/m (again!). Avg HR 134.

• BirchBirch ✭✭✭

Great parkrunniing OO, PMJ, Badbark (if a little eccentric in your case B(M)adbark 

how are the legs, Gul, a week on from WP? 

no running yesterday, just several hours sitting on coach on M1, travelling to and from Wembley to see my team lose in the Playoff Final  . . . . .    will drag myself out at some point today 

• BadbarkBadbark ✭✭✭

Good training runs banked by Gul and Lorenzo. That’s a good Parkrun improvement PMJ. Glad your knee is on the mend Jason

I’m looking forward to the report Bike it

I’m not long back from running the Newry Marathon. It was a hot and sunny day, which is not ideal for someone with my recent condition. I totally covered myself with factor 50 before the start!

My plan was to run about 6:40 pace to half way then 6:50 until about 20 miles, and 7:00 till the finish for a comfortable sub 3. With only 13 days until my ‘A’ race I didn’t want to push too hard. With the sun, heat and my sore knee I was prepared to slow down if it started to get tough.

My knee was sore from the warm-up and I was in discomfort for the first half of the race. However, after half way the pain completely cleared and never returned! Thank you endorphins!image

There was a waved start with the slower runners starting 45 minutes early, and also a half marathon and 10k race finishing all at the same place. This turned out to be good as I was over taking people and enjoying the craic throughout.

The first half of the course was undulating and I reached half way in about 1:28 feeling very comfortable despite the heat. I was glad to pour water over my head at every water stop.

The second half of the course was pretty flat running alongside a river. I was in about 10 place at half way but over took a few people over the next miles as they struggled in the heat.

I was a bit alarmed after 20 miles to see a guy face down making distressed noises, surrounded by a group of people. Not long after an ambulance was roaring past heading in his direction. I hope he’s ok. There were a few other people lying on the ground getting stretching over the next miles too.

This was my 31st marathon and first that didn’t supply a single energy drink or gel throughout. Not great under such conditions. I’m just glad I started with a drink and had 3 gels with me.

I went through 20 miles in under 2:15 still feeling great. All I needed was a sub 45 minute 10k so I let myself slow slightly. I was very surprised to notice my HR down at 141. At no point did I feel like I was working hard and even sped up again over the last few miles.

I crossed the finish line in about 2:56:45 with plenty left in the tank. I didn’t even have the marathon shuffle at the end, and it felt no worse than a long training run. It just goes to show how a 51 mile run 7 days before can harden you up. Tapering is over rated! My HR average 145 for the race which is one of my lowest ever.

I had a flask with ice cubes with me, so my knee was being iced within 15 minutes of the finish, and for the hour long drive home. There’s no pain or discomfort at the minute so things are looking good.  

Thanks to 500ml of the juice 2 hours before the start my pee is currently beetroot coloured. Teehee.

On another note, I just received a cheque for £75 for first placed M45 at the Belfast Marathon earlier in the month! Happy days.image

Now it’s cotton wool time until the 100k in less than 2 weeks. I will have my revenge on my only ever DNF! image

• Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭

Badbark -great report you make it sound so easy and it was hot as well  ,did you podium today them can't have been far off image

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Yes same question BB- what position did you finish. You make this marathon malarkey sound easy, even in hot conditions. Well done !

17 miles here at around 8:15 average pace. 54 miles is my highest weekly total since VLM.  

• SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭
    Well done again BB

Hope BI is having a good un too.

Half Ironman today in training - swim was solid, biked at IM effort and then ticked off the run and felt easy despite being on a treadmill in 28degree room.

Sub 5hrs and lots to spare so all is going well image
  • Shelling peas madbark, shelling peas.

9 easy for me today, 8 minute pace, maybe double figure tomorrow a bit slower.

• Bike ItBike It ✭✭✭

Well it was not as bad as it could have been nor was it as good as it could have been.  The recent problems with my left leg progressively worsened during the run.  I set off at pace for a 8:30 finish and felt very aerobically comfortable.  I was on-track timewise, but left leg not doing well until the top of Fields when it went completely.  I vainly tried to run sections, but it had to done at a walk.  I couldn't get back to a run in Pinetown either - just too much pain despite being aerobically fine and ready for the last kms.  In the end I had to limp the last 24km home from the top of Fields.  I finished in 10:24 in the end.

Anyway, I'm happy with a finish today.  Better than the DNS or DNF that it could have been which looked more realistic at the start of the week.

There was a new male record in today's run by a guy with a 2:14 marathon.  Also controversy as the female leader was hit by a motorbike and finished in second in the end

• BadbarkBadbark ✭✭✭

Oh feck, I feel for you Bike It. Well done on soldiering on till the end. That’s another Comrades completed to be proud of. It’s on my bucket list so I’ll see you there some year!

I don’t know what place I finished today to those that asked. I think about 7th.  I’m happy to report I’m currently tipsy.image

• BI - tough going, but to make it to the end with that degree of pain is worth a medal in itself. A huge well done. 

Another mad performance from Madbark - glad you were taking it easy!

Great training SJ. Running Madbark a close second in the weekend lunacy competition.

Hope you're not too down Birch - next year?

Rest day for me - we're now on the Slovak side of the border and hoping to head out for a run with younger Lorenzito tomorrow morning.

• SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭
    The difference (and it's a big one) between me and Madbark is that I'm just following a training schedule. He is deliberately going out of his way to think up crazy antics.....

Sorry to hear that BI but as you say, could've been worse. I checked your results earlier and your split for the last 7K or so told the story! Well done for grinding it out and it's one closer to that green numberimage
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

Birch - commiserations. Hope you're not too disappointed after Wembley yesterday. My legs feel fine thanks. Even for a day or two after WP, I only really noticed any muscle soreness going downstairs and it was very mild.
    Badbark - that is really just astounding. Well done on yet another sub 3. Hope the knee is still okay.
    OO - nice mileage.
    Bike It - sorry to hear you suffered at the end there, but well done on toughing it out. It's a massive achievement under any circumstances, but that must have taken such determination. Hats off.
    Lorenzo - sounds like you're going to have great fun.
    Went out yesterday afternoon for an easy 3 miles to see how I got on running with a rucksack. It was fine while it was empty, but on the way home after buying a box of fish, blood and bone plant feed it did rock from side to side and sent my heart rate up a bit! Just did another 5 miles this morning, including a max heart rate test that only got up to 185.

• Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭

0053-nice long run.

Slokey-dreadmill in 28c and easy sounds very promising.image

PmJ- good easy 9

Bikeit- very well toughed out glad you were able to make it image

Gul-takes practice to get a true max heart rate and its far too early in the morrn for that image

6m progression this morn before work.

• PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    Quick login from Luxembourg. Bike It - it's such a long, painful slog from Fields down to Durban, we can only imagine the mental strength you showed. A terrific effort, DNF would have been awful after all the training. And yes it's one closer to green. Many congratulations.

The Luxembourg Night HM was hilly and humid, had to run quite hard for 1.33.02 but happy with that after the 3 painful maras. Absolutely biblical rain here, not looking forward to the airport run.
  • BI, a much better effort than many could have done without the niggles and injuries. Solid performance that will look better in a week or so.

Gul why the rucksack? I try and avoid carrying anything, even keys. I normally hide them somewhere near where I start but made a mistake yesterday as I hid them behind my car wheel and they slid down and I ended up having to slide under my car from one end to retrieve them. Luckily it has high ground clearance.

• CSMLFCCSMLFC ✭✭✭
    Ran Liverpool yesterday. Home town marathon and fond memories as it was my first last year in 3.52

Rock and roll organisers certainly know how to put an event on. Strangely the half marathon started at 9am with 7143 runners. Glorious sunshine and there can't be many better places to run than the Albert Dock on a day like yesterday.

The marathon started at 10am with 2524 runners. Having managed 3.16 at Manchester last month I didn't know what to expect from this race. I had only had 2 good weeks training between the two and Liverpool is a lot hillier and hotter yesterday too. The intention was to run as I felt and anything sub 3.20 would be a success.

First half of the course is through the north of the city. Loads going on with a lap of Goodison, Anfield, spectacular view of the city and then a sprint down through the city centre itself. I went through half way in 1.35 with dreams of a sub 3.15 very much in sight!

Second half of the course is through the south end of the city which whilst pleasant and affluent is very quiet and mundane. Most of the half marathons and 10k's in Liverpool are in this part of town and the route is incredibly over familiar and uninspiring. Was all going well until mile 20 when the wheels started to unfasten. The heat had taken its toll and I had no option other to adopt a run walk strategy from 23 to the finish.

I crossed the line in 3.17.50 which I am extremely happy with all things considered (100th finisher too). Dreams of sub 3.15 still intact, going to have a few weeks off now and have a look for another local suitable marathon for October or so.

Just to praise R&R again.. absolutely faultless organisation. Food and drink plentiful. Brilliant touch with the arena too. Make your own goody bag and sublime baggage system with minimal fuss. Also good this year they had red carpets from the arena to escalators taking you back out to the plaza.

To top it all off Cast played a 45 minute set in the basking sun whilst runners enjoyed a free pint.

Can't recommend liverpool enough. Loads of room to run, not a fast course but a great advert for the city. Hopefully it will continue to get bigger and better.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Sounds like a tough one Bike it, you did the sensible thing. I think we'll need a longer report once you recover image

CSMLSC that is a great effort, very good so soon after Manchester. Annoyingly I ran with a club pal yesterday who had a place for Liverpool and did not run. Might have taken it if I'd known earlier. Glad you enjoyed. 

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

Leslie - how do you practise for a max HR test? Early for a progression run too!
    Poacher - good effort in Luxembourg. Where are you racing next weekendimage
    PMJ - yes, I don't usually carry anything other than a key on old lanyard round my neck! Just looking at the possibility of doing some commuting miles. Most days I get a lift with a colleague, but he is so lazy that he doesn't pick me up till just after 9am, so I might use that as a window of opportunity.
    CSMLSC - great effort in Liverpool. Sub 3:15 beckons in the autumn.
    I've been re-thinking my plans. As I'm too late (or it will be in a few weeks time) for a GFA for VLM 2017 and VLM 2018 is a non-starter (Silver Wedding), there is no rush for another GFA attempt! So now looking at some base training and seeing how much progress I can make before moving on to some speedier stuff and getting some race practice as suggested by one or two of you, which may or may not involve an autumn marathon, but without the pressure of gunning for a GFA.

• BirchBirch ✭✭✭

Badbark - great stuff (again) . . . . . .
    OO - nice miles 
    Slokey - half IM with the run on a t'mill  - that is Badbark-esque !!  
    Poacher- splendid effort in the aftermath of the mara's, and on a tough course 
    CSMLSC - many congrats  . . . .
    Lorenzo/Gul - not too down re footy, thanks - best team won - and Lorenzo correct - the eternal refrain of the football/rugby supporter - "there's always next year" image 
    & Gul - sound thinking re your summer training ...

still formulating plans here - currently half looking at Hull marathon (although not well disposed to that city after Saturday) image   ;  and thinking of P & D 12 week plan, to suit my aging legs. Anyone used the 12 weeker?  

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Badbark: you are a machine!

Bike It: commiserations and congratulations. Commiserations because I know you had set your sights much higher and you were so unlucky at the last minute. Congratulations because you still achieved a great result in circumstances where many would have DNF'D. So much mental strength.