Options

2016 Marathon Training Thread

Comments

• Options

Glad he went peacefully HM

Nice evening here: 7.5 done mostly with depleted group

across the water for Castle of Mey 10k on Sunday

• Options
    MG7 great race, plus repprt and photos, very well done .

Yellow would go for rest and ice and maybe foam rolling if its just tight.

Ollie nice speedy 10.

Tek nice running round hyde park.

OH sounds a nice run in good conditions.

3 m warm up then rep session of 1 x 800 90 secs rest then 1 x 400, 120 sec rest. Total of 8 reps giving 3m at 5.55. Followed by 3 m warm down home.
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭

HM - sorry for your loss but as you say, sometimes it can be a blessing. I felt that way when my dad died - he'd lost my mum four months prior, had broken his hip (he was already disabled by a stroke some years prior) and would have had to move into a home. He would have been miserable.

Michael - that sounded amazing. I have some good memories of that area from georgraphy field trips when I was at school (a long time ago now!).

Yellow - I'd actually be inclined to see a professional.

Teknik - hope you're feeling better now.

------

I wanted to run yesterday but I woke up wrong. By that I mean I must have woken up mid-sleep cycle, because I felt weak, floppy and groggy and somewhat disorientated, much like I do if I fall asleep in the afternoon. I settled on yoga, which was pretty tough yesterday because the humidity made it feel as though there wasn't enough air to breathe.

I'm planning on parkrunning tomorrow so normally I wouldn't do much today but I decided on a gentle 4 miler at 6am (easy pace). Legs felt nice and bouncy. Exchanged smiles with three other runners. Saw a fox.

• Options

HM - Sorry to hear of your lossimage

Some great training as always, and nice pics and race reports from Michael and OH, well done guys!image Finding it hard enough to keep up with training at the moment nevermind the thread!image Hope everyone is wellimage

---------

5, 8 and 8 after work Tues-Thurs mornings. Hadn't ran after work for a long time so felt tougher than expected on Tuesday but ok Wed/Thursday. Gym this morning, maybe 4/5 tomorrow then hopefully a whole load of 6:30s on Sunday. Although I might be into the wind for 11 miles...

• Options
    OlliepopOlliepop ✭✭✭

Morning. image

Teknik: Nice 5.5 miles yesterday. image
    HM4: Thanks. image
    OH: Nice 7.5 done last night, good going. image
    MG1: Great set of reps last night. image
    Cal: Reminds me of the song Fox on the Run.  Sounds like a nice, easy 4 miles yesterday, best of luck at parkrun tomorrow. image
    SM6: Enjoy the gym this morning, good running post work throughout the week. image

- - - - - - - - - - 

5 easy miles from me, nothing more (well maybe 0.01 mile more but that'd be it) and nothing less... Hopefully. image

Have a good day. image

Have a good day. image
  • Options
    TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

OH well done on the evening 7.5m

MG impressive set of reps, and well done for getting the extra aerobic miles in, too

Cal nice early 4m and good luck at the parkrun

Stuart hope it's a calm day weather-wise Sunday

Ollie nice easy 5m

---

6.22m easy for me at lunchtime, warm again here in London

---

Upcoming Races

29/5/16 Edinburgh Half                Stuart M
    29/5/16 Castle Mey 10k              Stewart C, Other Half
    30/5/16 Bampton to Tiverton 7m  Night Nurse

Good luck peepsimage 

• Options

Didn't realize that you were doing Castle of Mey, Stewart (Thanks Tek) - see you there! Currently planning cycling from ferry at Gills Bay

• Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Well done guys & thanks.

Stuart M, Stewart C, OH & NN,

Good luck guys.

• Options

Thnx everyone...

OH well done with yesterdays 7.5 good luck at Castle Mey

Yellow If recovery pace is hurting then add in another rest day with ice if that doesn't ease the problem then seek help? Hope this goes away

Sub17 Sounds like you have a plan StewC is spot on train well below race pace the pace will come at longer distances... it's so tempting to get reved up

SC sound advice.. wish I could follow itimage Good luck at Castle Mey

Ollie Well done with the easy today, Good luck with your park run attempt sound like you are well revved up !

Tek nice one around Hyde park

MG1 good reps gr8 pace for that 3m

Cal Great to have bouncy legs good luck with your park run

SM6 Hope u get into the training again.. work is a pain imagegood luck with the Edinbugrh half

NN good luck with your 7m

8.5m on favourite trail run @8min18s per mile  Legs feel good especially going up hill... need more training on those lakeland hills

• Options
    yellow52yellow52 ✭✭✭
    Good luck those racing at the weekend: NN, OH, SM, SC

And I'm sure there'll be a bunch of amazing Parkrun times to celebrate image

Everyone else, hope the training goes well and we get some good bank holiday weather.

Avoided the temptation to run today, that's 2 days of rest and I feel a bit of a cold coming on - almost feels like taper-sickness!

Off for a week with the family next week, so good chance to get some cycling in and maybe a bit of swimming. I'll get in to the physio as soon as I'm back.
  • Options

I ran 17:12 in my Park Run today. 

In two weeks time I will see how I go in a training marathon. I have nothing to lose by running the marathon. 20+ mile long run and a  finishers medal and a t-shirt. I may run a second training marathon as my only other 20+ mile run in lead up to my Target Marathon in mid-October.

My typical long runs will be limited to 2 hours to save my legs so I can run consistent Park Run times on a weekly basis.

2 hours has been my limit on long runs, my energy reserves are depleted and I switch to jog/walking. I do not take energy gels or drink anything on a training run up to two hours.

• Options
    OlliepopOlliepop ✭✭✭

Morning. image

Hope you're already having a good weekend. image

Teknik: Nice 6.22 miles at easy pace yesterday, good going. image
    OH: Enjoy the cycling, best of luck at the Castle of Mey 10k (in May) tomorrow. image
    HM4: Cheers. image
    MG7: Thanks, not quite a PB today but still feeling good, maybe next week.  Good going on the 8.5 mile trail run yesterday. image
    Yellow: Enjoy the time off with the family, hope the leg heals up soon. image
    Sub17: Excellent parkrun time today, hope the training marathon goes well for you as a long run. image

- - - - - - - - - -

Ran 14.1 miles in total this morning.
    This included a mile warm up/cool down before and after parkrun.
    A parkrun (18:41), not quite a PB but felt good afterwards so think it may have been possible had I pushed myself.
    10 mile run after watching most, if not all, of the parkrunners cross the line, ran the latter half of my 20 mile route back home.  As Supertramp once sang, I took the long way home. image

Have a good day. image 

Have a good day. image
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭

Great job, sub-17. Good luck with the marathon. I guess you changed your mind about running it then?

And Ollie, 14 miles with a sub-19 parkrun in the middle? You nutter!

I managed to knock more than 20 seconds off my last parkrun PB today. New PB is 26:20. I ran the first mile in 8:28 which is fast for me, so I couldn't quite maintain that. Second mile felt as though it was in the 8:30s but turned out to be 8:44 so I picked it up slightly for an 8:40 final mile and then summoned every bit of strength I had left to sprint to the finish. It was enough. Obviously I need to work on pacing but I'm pretty happy with my progress.

Two weeks until my next 10K and hoping for a new PB there.

• Options
    TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

Michael nice going on the trails

yellow enjoy the week's holiday

Sub17 nice parkrun, good luck with the marathon training

Ollie well done on the parkrun, and great effort getting the extra 10 miles in

Cal PB!imageimage

---

6.7m with the club this morning, plus another 5m very easy this afternoonimage

• Options

Nice steady improvement there Cal PB! image

• Options
    No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭

MG7 great photos and race report well done and great to see the family out in support imageimage

OH great photos and report imageimage

just a quick catch up and scan back, have been up to my eyes in the garden and yesterday with the 10k race and the club duck race at the May fair. So just a quick report. Turned up at the May fair 10k and after a mile warm up went over to the start line and was behind/next to two runners from project Africa. Start horn went and within 200m these two guys where 50m ahead of the rest and finished in 30:05 on a very hilly course. For me I settled in to an even pace 5:45 for the first flatfish mile and 6:00 for the next hilly mile after that the screen on my garmin went blank and the battery went flat. Around mile 4 I was passed by one runner and managed to pass a runner. I crossed the line in 11th place and in a time of 37:08 two seconds down on last year. But very happy with first M50.

Good luck to anyone racing today Sunday.

• Options

NP - Well done, sounds like a very good runimage

Tek - Nice double dayimage

Cal - Well done on the parkrun PB, sub 26 on the cards soonimage

Ollie - Nice parkrun, and impressive you managed 10 miles after!image

S17 - Well done at parkrun and good luck for the marathon.image

Michael - Sounds like your back into it quickly! Good pace for the 8.5 milesimage

yellow - Enjoy the holidayimage

Good luck to Stewart & OH today, and NN tomorrowimage

--------

6 mile jog and upper body weights at gym yesterday.

Up early as I'm getting picked up at 6 to go through to Edinburgh. 8am is too early a start!

• Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Welll done guys.

• Options
    OlliepopOlliepop ✭✭✭

Morning. image

Best of luck to SM in the Edinburgh half marathon, enjoy. image
    Best of luck also to OH and SC in the Castle Mey 10k today, have fun. image

Cal: Fantastic PB, well done.  Hopefully it bodes well for your 10k soon. image
    Teknik: Nice double day from you yesterday, good stuff. image
    OH: Looking forward to your result/report. image
    NP: Great going on your 10k, well done.  Not tempted to keep up with the front runners? image  Fantastic time anyway. image
    SM6: I imagine you'll be running as I type this so hope all is going well. image  Nice 6 miles and gym session a couple of days ago.  Look forward seeing how you get on today/ image
    HM4: Thanks. image

- - - - - - - - - 

22 miles today, as it's long run day.
    Managed 92.1 miles this week, helped in part by enjoying being out there running.  As yet, few of my runs have any particular purpose but sometimes it's good to have a nice break from training; though 7 weeks worth of 'recovery' runs isn't conducive to the long term plan so marathon training will resume starting tomorrow. image

Have a good day. image

Have a good day. image
  • Options

Thanks Ollie, SM6, NP

No wind, Wall to Wall sunshine and 17C forecast today.

Sunscreen, vest and shorts methinks ...

• Options

83:55, well chuffed image

• Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭

22 miles isn't marathon training, Ollie? image

Stuart, excellent stuff! Well done.

Today was earmarked for some strength training, but it seemed a crime to squander the warmth by heading indoors. So I passed up the gym in favour of a workout I've not done in a long time. It involves running a lap of Tooting Common, but stopping every so often to use park "furniture" for bodyweight excersises, such as bench dips, bench step-ups, inverted rows on the railings, incline push-ups on logs and rails and also sets of walking lunges. I also added in some sprints and strides to mix it up a bit. Sometimes I use the ropes playground for some added fun but there was already a couple of parents there with children and you're not supposed to go in there without a kid.

I'm off to yoga shortly, but I already feel I'm going to be sore tomorrow.

• Options
    OlliepopOlliepop ✭✭✭

Well done SM6, fantastic result. image

Cal: Aha, I guess what I mean to say is the pace I'm doing my long runs at the moment is slow comparative to the pace I want to be doing for the long run training. image  Nice session today, sounds like a good way to run and work out.  Pity the play area was occupied. image

Next week will be a cutback week, then marathon training for the Abingdon 2016 marathon will begin in earnest, hoping (once more) for sub-3. image

Have a good day. image
  • Options

Ollie - great work on the 22, and 92 miles for the week! Mentalimage Must be 2 weeks until I start marathon training, as I think I'm the week after you.image

Cal - That sounds a good mix up session this morningimage

--------------

Edinburgh Half Marathon

Had constantly changed my mind over whether or not I was going to run this, but eventually signed up just before entries closed, for a very hefty fee. I had felt good in training, and felt I had a good shout at a PB, maybe even low 85s.

Got through to Edinburgh an hour before the race, but mucked about too much and once I got through the portaloo queue I only had time for 1k warm up. Spoke to a few club mates before the off, but was a bit miffed they were in a faster start wave than me!

1-3 (6:24, 6:16, 6:26) It's a nice open start, and slightly downhill so just tried to get into a natural rhythm which seemed centred on 6:20s. Concerned me a touch but unlike Alloa I decided I wasn't going to talk myself out of a time. If I blew up at 11 miles, well I blew up at 11 miles. Passed a club mate at mile 1, and got a couple of shouts on the double back in Holyrood Park, even that early on it helps! A few minor ups and downs through miles 2 and 3 but nothing to report, tried to stick with a Perth runner as he seemed consistant with my pace.

4-7 (6:16, 6:26, 6:24, 6:32) Caught sight of a club mate towards the end of mile 4, he said pre race he was looking at 82-83, so was wonder if I was going to fast or if he was struggling. Slowly reeled him in over the next couple of miles, and passed him along the prom in Portobello. Despite being right on the coast we had little to no wind, and it was nice and cool. Perfect conditions!image Quick check of the watch at the 10k mat, (39:46) so my 2nd fastest ever 10k!image Maybe a bit fast... It was around here my left foot started to hurt, so was having to be careful how I landed. I had worn the same trainers at last years Inverness half, and they destroyed my left foot early on so slight panic was setting in. This was probably why I stepped off the pace a touch in mile 7.

8-11 (6;25, 6:17, 6:22, 6:24) The road into Musselburgh felt tough on the feet, but was bouyed around 7.5 miles when I noticed a club mate in the distance. I had a quick check on the watch and estimated him to be 47 seconds ahead of me. As we pulled into, and then through Musselburgh I could see I was catching him. I ran and had a chat with a Glasgow runner during mile 9, but pushed ahead as I realised I was now only 30 seconds behind my mate. Mile 10 takes you past the cut off to the finish, and 11 takes you almost out to the turn. I was hurting here mentally more than anything as it was such a drag, it was only the sight of my mate ahead that kept me going!

• Options

12&13 (6:24, 6:15) The turning point was just past 11 miles, and I was now 15-20 seconds behind my mate. We exchanged a pretty thunderous high 5, and then the chase resumed!image Now I was doubling back on the guys behind, the shouts from other club mates really spurred me on even though my body had ready for chucking it. Quick look at the watch at ~20k and realised I was utterly nailed on sub 85, and ad a good shot at 84. And even more importantly I was almost on top of my mate! 400 to go, and I'm now on his heels. I was absolutely sure I had him, until he kicked and I just couldn't, or wouldn't, hold on! So I just focussed on doing nothing stupid and trying to stick myself under 84. 100m to go, and onto some silly metal walk way covering the grass. Unfortunately I was looking way ahead and not at the surface, and tripped over something! Thankfully stayed upright but that'd have been a bit of bum note to end had I went down. Nice and strong finish, paid no attention to anyone else and was delighted to stop the watch on 1:23:55image A new PB by 3:10image

Afterthoughts - Even early on my legs hadn't felt great so was very pleased, and my left foot issue was managed fairly well. It's a bit sore now but never became unrunnable. I had tried to drink a little this time, unlike Alloa and I even had 3 shotbloks at 5, 8 and 10 miles but couldn't stomach any more. Breakfast again was just a banana, and again I think it was a mistake. 
    More pleasingly, I found out at the end that the club mate I was chasing was actually 10 seconds slower than me, so I think I was fastest runner from our clubimage

So a good place to start marathon training from, my worry now is the time I have to be aiming for at Frankfurt. There's only really 1 time I can now look at...

• Options
    StewartCStewartC ✭✭✭

SM, an awesome achievement that is a huge PB and it is all the result of your hard work over the last year, congratulationsimage

Cal, congratulations you are running very well and the improvements keep coming

Ollie, that is a huge week, I think you have deserved a cutback week

NP, a great run and only 2 seconds down is good going, congratulations with the 1st place

Tek, nice doubling yesterday

--------------

Just a quick update, a gorgeous day in Caithness today wall to wall blue sky a bit hot with a gentle cooling breeze, it was unfortunate I could take advantage of the surroundings or the good weather today, the wheels fell big style after half way not helped with a shoelace malfunction, 50:50 on the watch.  

It was great to meet up with OH, he is running so well came breezing past me just after the 7k marker.

• Options

50:12 chip time and PB by 1m20s

Pleased with that, especially as only a week after CWC image

Good to see StewartC (and also a few known faces from  North Highland Harriers and Durness)

Great new PB Stuart imageimage (hope the shouts were sufficiently muted image)

• Options
    Stewart sorry to see it didnt go to plan today.

SM many congratulations on the big pb and fantastic time ????
  • Options
    OlliepopOlliepop ✭✭✭

Morning. image

SM6: Great report for a great result, well done on the PB. image
    SC: Well done on the 10k, sorry to hear about the race kerfuffle but hope you enjoyed the day. image
    OH: Congrats on yet another PB in recent weeks, good stuff. image

- - - - - - - - - -

First day of cutback week treating my legs to a Bank Holiday 5 miles, hopefully they'll be glad of the break.

Have a good day. image

Have a good day. image
  • Options
    Night NurseNight Nurse ✭✭✭
    Wow what a lot of success stories !

SM6 that's a truly amazing half marathon result , so pleased for you ! Very very well done indeed

OH superb 10k PB as you say especially after last weekend who would have expected that ?

SC pity your race didn't go so well ! There are others , put it behind you

Ollie 92 miles ? That's incredible ! Do you work ?

NP good result as ever congrats on 11th overall and 1st V50 when do you go up a catagory ? Some will be glad to see you move up ! Others will not be so pleased!

MG7 nice pace for the 8.5 on the trails sounds lovely

Cal tell me about it ? Rubbish sleep is all I ever get ! Nice to see your legs found some bounce

Really pissed off I have a little 'crick ' in my ankle so not racing today ! Not too worried about it don't even know how I did it ! its no there all the time but just occasionally ' cricks ' you know what I mean ! I have an important event with club next weekend in Wales which I need to be fit for so resting it ! So swimming later