sub 4 hour group,if anyone wants to get together

Comments

• WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    Hi all,

Only just spotted this thread, bit slow. Hope all are well. My longest run lately was miles cross country few weeks ago. But on sunday I did Grim and sprained ankle:( No running this week. Still as long as nothing else happens I will still be aiming for 3.59.59!
    Plan is (there is no plan) I am going to just go straight back into week 4 on Monday
    and see how it goes.
    possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • Percy,

Today is first day of no tummy pain and back to normal food at last.
    Well done on your 20 miler putting me to shame will have to smarten up my act;-)that was a serious good time!!!!

I did intervals yesterday although in pain but it went well 10@800 Metres with 2 minutes recovery plus 4 mile gentle run!!

Today 20 miler in 3 hours 30 although did have pain in knee again,(this was down we think to fatigue as less than 13 hours between both sessions) but was able to run through it(Just) kerbs were a problem;-) also steps;-)

Welcome Bobolink and Wabo good luck with training keep us up to date with your progress.
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Natnif and JTS, sorry I forgot to welcome you guys as well but you were on the other page;-)

Good luck with training
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Alex & co.
    I hope you don't mind if I join along on this thread. 'Twill be my first FLM and am aiming for under 4hrs. Will be doing a training run on Feb 1st in the form of the Valencia marathon so at least I will know how I'll cope with the distance.
    Will now start to read all the posts.
    I hope all your training is going well.
    Regards to you all, Gareth
  • hello all...percy my man, nice to see you pulling in such good 20 milers, whats up with the sunday RP runs?
    i have been off for awhile with knee problems, and now any run over an hour i get really anxious and just back off (read: QUIT). I was amazed Welsh Poppy that you mentioned knee pain as if it was no problem. maybe i am just gun-shy now.
    I was on a nice training schedule and up to a 2-hour half when it all went pear-shaped. as i said, now worried that any excessive strain will put the knee out and blow my FLM 4 hour try!
    anyways, gonna do a long run this sunday to see what the real deal is with the knee. if ok, then it is back on the horse.
    Natnif, is that piccie from that Action Figure Jesus doll?
    JPVD.
  • sorry, I meant Bobolink!
    JPVD.
  • Poppy, Thanks for the welcome.
    I must admit that I'm well impressed with the runs that people are already putting in. I was running 10 miles after Christmas but then got a muscle strain in my foot which has meant no decent running for the past couple of weeks.
    Managed to get out this evening for 3.5 miles which didn't hurt *too* much.
    Seems like a long way to go to get to the 26 miles....
    Still, there's *lots* of time left ;-)
  • Hi all,

My ILTB injury is still troubling me and I am off the running and at the physio. Anyone have any more tips for a quick recovery? I did 9.5 miles at the weekend but couldn't really move my knee very easily after 8 miles!

Jones the Steam - I know the frustration you are going through. Hope you get better soon

Percy Cheeser - I am East London based if you fancy a doing a long weekend run if and when my injury gets better...

Booner
  • Gentle update it was 21 miles in 3 hours 30....wow did not realise it was so long no wonder legs still aching!!!
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Yes, welcome fellow sub4 hopefuls.

Looks like we're going to need our own sickie list here (in addition to the main training thread). Best of luck and a quick recovery to you all.

Poppy, good to hear you're back. Know what you mean about kerbs and steps...;-) My right leg is seriously stiff today. Last week it was the left.....rest required.

MaS (Gareth) - now that's a training run! good luck.

JPVD - I'm still up for the Sunday run in Richmond Park (like last Sun) but seeing as I have the free time I'm going to add a long midweek run to my schedule where I can better control the pace to my own needs ;-)

Booner - I'm in Camberwell SE5, any good to you?
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the welcome guys, you put me to shame too with all these long runs!
    Anyway I think I will leave well alone till weekend, but good news is that I can see my ankle bone!
    I am supposed to be doing Parliament Hill saturday but maybe I will just potter around and cheer peeps on, then try a longer run on sunday?
  • Percy

Glad I am not the only one to suffer ;-) and I did not get my 3 hour nap yesterday;-( so decidedly very tired today.

Good Luck Wabo best to wait till you are healed properly

Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    I know, but the wicked men at my office made me get on scales and this not running lark has a bad effect, well anyway, I put it down to water retention!
    I am trying not to be too worried about schedule though. As long as nothing else goes wrong!
    My previous best marathon was 4.18 so I will be happy to get under that even!
  • hey percy-cheez man, i work in peckham and live in brixton hill. we probably run in the same area, although i believe that was covered in the Sunday RP run thread.
    Booner, glad to hear (in a non-sado way) that someone is having problems with the ITB and still having a go at the 3.59.59
    I'm heading up the distance slowly and hope to break 10 miles again (yes, TEN) this sunday...
    first the distance, then the speed
    JPVD.
  • Hello folks - Not often I get on here at this time of the day! So I am making the most of it!
    Booner, I also had an ILTB injury (or so I thought...!) Not that I am an expert in running but after lots and lots of advice and reading material, I decided to try and change the way that I run! I know try and focus with my heels hitting the ground first! Well, it has certainly worked for me. Although maybe the professionals out there will say this is not a good thing to do - I don't know!
    As I am running my first ever marathon in 10 days - I am after some advice!
    Do I run with the 4hr group for 13 miles and see how I feel before maybe speeding up for the second part, or do I run with the 3.45 group and try and keep the same pace. I feel confident that I can run 8.20-30 min miles for the duration, but as it is my first ever go at this distance don't won't to 'over-do' it!
    I am also running the FLM, so obviously don't want an injury that'll prevent me from running!
    Any suggestions/advice would be much appreciated.
  • Gareth,

From experience and reading stuff on here I'd say even paced running is better. If you've got the strength to run the second half faster than the first (negative split) then that's great too, but why not start with the 3:45 group?

Depends on your training - if you're confident as you say of running 8:30 min/miles then go for it! This confidence presumably stems from completing long runs at this pace?
  • Percy, The longest run I have done was 21 miles in 2hr 56 mins! Although I have run other long distances (17-20 miles) averaging the same kinda pace.
    The problem is the last 5-6 miles of the marathon. I read so much about 'hitting the wall'. I know that it's probably physcological but it worries me! Will try going with the 3.45 group I think, and see how it goes.
    Cheers for the advice.
  • Is this group ok for 'get you round' runners?
    This is our first marathon, and I was going to aim for a time of 5-5.30, but I have just recovered from 9 week bronchial infection.

The 'get you round' plan published in the marathon successfull mag I need advice on- is it realistically enough to 'get me round? Is it too easy? We have followed it to date with no problems but I don't want to push my luck.

I want to do the best I can, but the health set back I had has dented my confidence a bit.

So far, the most I can achieve is running 5 miles non stop, 10 miles with walk breaks every 6 minutes.

Advice most appreciated.

Gill
  • Gareth, 21 in 2:56 in training is plenty quick enough for a 3:45 mara. You'll almost certainly run faster just because it's a race (but don't overdo it).

Depends on conditions too on the day - hotter than training or whether the course is flatter etc. etc.

Good luck.

Err, Gill - this is the sub 4 hour hour thread....I'm sure the "get you round" plan will do the job for you.....all you have to do is stick to it. If it's too easy then add some mileage, preferably to the longer runs but don't add too much too quickly.
  • Hello! I've been lurking on this thread for so long that I think I'd better declare my presence.

I got nowhere near sub-4 last year (4:41), and said at the start of the thread that I don't think my legs have got a sub-4 in them, and my long runs are 12-minute-mile pace at the moment, but, dammit, I want to give it my best shot!

Can I join you please?
  • You're most welcome V-rap.

Any injuries/sickness you wish to declare at this stage? (hopefully not ;-))

It's looking like a condition of this thread that something goes wrong somewhere along the way....;-)
  • Nothing to declare, Percy Cheeser, apart from a chronic tendency to accelerate, peak, crash and burn rather than train consistently. On past form, I should peak 4 weeks after FLM this year :o)
  • Hi, I'd love to join too! I ran 4.13 mid-October in Amsterdam and knowing how I felt at the end, I am not sure I have it in me for anything faster but like VRAP want to have a go....

Any more spaces on this thread?

I've got some spare popcorn and coke for consumpton?
  • RRR - welcome too! <in doorman mode today, so doffs titfer in a jaunty fashion>

All carbs and sugary high inducing drinks gratefully received...

V-rap - normal symptoms then....
  • Oh, I forgot. I have a Wabbit to declare...
  • Normal? And there I thought I might be a bit special...

Whatever, a dinosaur can't have too many virtual training partners :o)
  • HigsHigs ✭✭✭
    Well I'm off for a run now - I've been doing Yasso 800s buiding up 1 a week toward the magic 10. Well this week is the week I do 10. Also I've been doing them on the tready so far but I'm going to have a crack at them on the road. I'll let you know how I get on - should be a good indicator of how close to sub4 I am.

Actually not feeling that confident of sub4 at the mo' Struggled to do 1:58 for the 4 Villages Half on Sunday. It wasn't so much the time as the effort that worries me.
  • MinksMinks ✭✭✭
    Looks like the niggles are starting to creep in.

Have a couple to report - a pain that feels like a bruise when I press it just above my left ankle bone, and (until yesterday) a horrible pain in my left thigh (front left and centre) which felt almost like a trapped nerve.

Don't know what's caused either, but the ankle thing seems to be worse when I wear my old running shoes (in fact they may have caused it) - they have done 600+ miles - and the thigh thing is excruciating when I wear my newer shoes (250 miles).

And my long run is only up to 12 miles - God knows what will happen next week!!
  • So

Is this the thread where you allocate someone to run as moi. They are given my t-shirt and number. They do all the training and run the race until the last .2 miles where we then quickly swap places and I run the final part waving my hands with much rejoicing and glee and then collect my winners medal and t-shirt + goody bag?

• Minkin

Haven't had a chance to read the whole thread yet but have you been building up gradually? I had pains under my ankle after running Amsterdam and it was an overuse injury. I found that running for the first mile or so was fine and then the pain would begin and get progressively worse resulting in me having to stop. I was forced to rest for a number of weeks.

It could also be your shoes need changing. I would do that sooner rather than later and not wear your old shoes until you have had that confirmed because last thing you want is to make it worse.