2016 Marathon Training Thread

Comments

• OlliepopOlliepop ✭✭✭

Afternoon everybody. image

HM4: Merci beaucoup. image
    Tricia: Sounds like some good few races planned, all the best for them.  Nice going on the fairly fast 18 miles too. image
    OH: Poor Oh's wallet, sure it'll pay off in the (ahem...) long run.  Gettin' me coat. image  Nice running, and enjoy the taper. image
    SM6: Nice going on the gym and running after a few bevvies.  Hope you enjoyed your long run today, and nice mileage last week. image
    NP: Nice 10 miles/course marking yesterday.  Sounds like a nice run today on the trails, I assume Buddy is a canine friend and not some mate forced to run/swim. image
    SC: Nice report, well done on running in the heat.  I remember spotting a load of rabbits whilst running in Nairn, maybe I should send them a post card... image  Anyway, great race and good going on the PB. image
    Teknik: Nice commute run in the heat, and good going on the weekly mileage with added rest day. image

- - - - - - - - - 

10 miles from me, and it was a hot one.  Took an emergency pound with me and glad I did as I needed to buy a drink about 4 miles in, lunchtime pint probably didn't help hydration... d'oh well. image

Aside from the 10 miles, what else has been going on in the land of Olliepop running.  Signed up for the Offerton 10k on the 29th June (essentially an extended Woodbank parkrun), and the Sale Sizzlers (a bunch of 5ks over the summer starting 30th June).

Something to look forward to, but not as much as tomorrow's session.  Shall be a barrel of fun. image

Have a good day. image

Have a good day. image
  • HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Well done guys & great reports.

• Hi everyone 

Back from the most  amazing weekend / race The Welsh Castles Relays , a club mate summed it up by comparing it to the Tour De France !

We usually take 2 teams of 20 but this year due to certain issues we only took 1 

Travelled by 3 mini buses from Exeter to Canarvon north Wales which took including a lunch and tea  stop 10 hours !!!  along with several other runners from the other 64 teams we stayed in the sports hall over night ... some camped  some B&B'd 

After a fairly decent sleep dispite being on an air bed we were up bright and early to pack up and head to the town centre for the first of 20 stages which would wind all the way down through Wales passing all the Castles covering 220 miles finishing  in Cardiff on Sunday afternoon 

Once the first runner from each team sets off we all jump on assigned club mini bus to follow , pick up and drop off our runners

when i say relay what happens is each stage has  set time to start and the start of a leg is about half a mile from the finish of the one before and starts befure the previous winners come in if you see what i mean 

My stage wasnt untill 11am on Sunday i had run it before 12.8 miles and i wanted to better my time but it was 24 degs so I thought I just take it slowly at first as we hadnt sent a very fast team there wasxno pressure we had no chance of winning 

I was dropped of at the Red kite centre right at the top of Drovers the views  are second to non !   Thete was a mile climb to start taking it really easy due to the heat  I let the fast ones just go .. and with only 64 runners the field soon spreads  out and you find yourself on your own running your own race through tne most amaziing  country side and welsh mountains my stage wasnt too hilly there were alot of steep down  hill sections which i can feel in my quads today .... you are passed by all the mini busses and support cars of the other  teams they also stop to hand out water and give support and cheers its fantastic , I felt much stronger than I was expecting and sub 8s were a piece of cake I was enjoying this far too much to race ! each mile ticked away , and before I knew it there were just 3 miles to go there was a nasty climb at 9-10 miles and i passed several people who were now walking and struggling with the heat , once we were at 11 miles it was a nice drop down into Brecon , I overtook a guy and handed him  my last drop of water I knew I wouldnt need it now , he was gasping , I felt so strong , the slow sensible start had paid off ! ine last down hill section and there  was the finish by the reservoiur 1.38.51. 2 mins off my previous  time giving me the confidence to enter Torbay Half in 3 weeks ! its in there  that 97/98 minute half marathon if i can run that course in that time in that heat  surely? 

, my support bus was there to collect me ... on it was the runner they had collected from the previous stage and the one we had to drop off for stage 19 ! stage 16 and 17 were already under way .... its like a military operation !  so after a quick drink and something to eat it was back on the bus ! to watch the last few stages ... the last stage finishes at Cardiff castle and its an honour to run it ! the guy who has this organised our team fir this event for tne lasy 15/16 years ran this leg and with literally hundreds of runners and supporters along with glorious weather it was some finish !    we actually didnt do too bad ! 27/64 teams ! Londons Serpentine and Wales les croupiers as usual were the top teams .... but seriuosly that event really is all about the taking part and fun factorv

Tomorrow I will read back to see what you have all been up to 

• Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭

Sounds wonderful, NN!

Well done on the PB, Stewart. image I'm doing my first ever 10 miler in a few weeks - looking forward to it.

-----------

So after Saturday's parkrun, I had no energy to do anything on Sunday and I'm ashamed to say I didn't even step outdoors. I have days like that sometimes.

Yesterday was gym (upper body weights) and spin - the last class with my favourite instructor, who is off traveling for a year. I'm hoping the guy who takes over has a similar style because I like spin classes that are basically intervals, sprints, hill climbs and stuff you would otherwise do on an actual bike, and I detest classes where they bounce up and down as if the bike were a fricking pony, or try to incorporate upper body crap in there. I mean, hello, there's a fully stocked weight room downstairs if I want to work on my guns.

Anyway, I woke up early with the view of doing a nice long easy run. Beautiful morning - still warm at 6am - but urgh I just wasn't feeling it. Running felt very laboured. I cranked out the minimum 4 miles at easy marathon training pace (only didn't feel that easy, it felt as though I had on concrete shoes) and tried to enjoy the dawn sunshine. Which was nice, admittedly.

I'm not sure why I felt so tired. Could be hormones (that old chestnut). Could be that I've been sweating a lot more due to the weather and am a bit dehydrated. Either way I hope it goes away before Saturday because I have a 10K to take care of!

• OlliepopOlliepop ✭✭✭

Morning. image

HM4: Thanks.
    NN: Nice running and report, sounds like you enjoyed yourself.  Well done to you and your team for 27th place as well.
    Cal: Nice gym session.  Hope you get your running mojo back butat least you got out for a run.

- - - - - - - - - -

5 x 1k with 0.5k recovery in between aiming for 3:30s.
    Only managed to get under 3:30 on the second rep, the first and third were just over, and the final two reps were over by about 5-10 seconds.

Think next time, I'll add a couple of warm up laps beforehand to see how that goes, otherwise I was fairly happy with today.

See ya later. image

Have a good day. image
  • OlliepopOlliepop ✭✭✭

Another 6 miles done in the evening at easy pace for 10.2 miles total today.  Went to the chippy for tea afterwards to replenish.

Hope you've all had a good day.

Have a good day. image
  • Ollie - Good running today. But I'm not surprised you struggled a bit with this mornings reps, as you couldn't have had much of a warm up. I usually have done 2-3 miles, and some strides before a fast session.image

Cal - Well done on the gym work, hopefully all with be fine for Sundayimage

NN - Sounds like an epic relay race, and a great run by you! Well doneimage

----------

Just a gym session for me today. Not doing club race tomorrow, will be 10-12 miles instead.

• tricialitttricialitt ✭✭✭

OH- you mean there's a marathon in scotland I've not entered! (actually, I would have liked to do FW again, but probably too soon after CS40.

NN- that sounds like fun!

Cal- I was doing spin for a while, but the classes are so overboooked that you need to be quick off the mark to get booked in- CBA with that, so just running instead.

Ollie- well done on the intervals- mine fizzled out yesterday, as my legs hadn't really recovered from the L"S( ie too fast) R at the weekend.

Planning first run/ commute tomorrow/ thursday for ages, if it's not too hot/ wet/ thundery.

• TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

Ollie nice hot 10 miler yesterday and well done on the 1k reps and easy 6m today

HM thanks

NN the WCR sounded like great fun, well done

Cal well done for getting out for the dawn run

Stuart nice gym session

tricia good luck for the commute run

---

Thunderstorms this afternoon, but still hot for the club session this evening - 6 x (2min at 3k pace, 2min easy).  Bailed on the jog back to Tube as someone offered me a lift....image

• OlliepopOlliepop ✭✭✭

Morning. image

SM6: Cheers, enjoyed the session once it was over.  Point taken re: warming up, will be sensible about it in future.  Nice going on the gym session, and enjoy the 10-12 miles.
    Tricia: Thanks, never look forward to that sort of session but always enjoy intervals whilst doing them/once they're done.  Have fun on your run commutes.
    Teknik: Nice club session yesterday in hot conditions.  Our thunderstorm came in a bit later during the night.

- - - - - - - - - - 

Will be 16 miles from me today, drinking plenty of water before heading out as I know this is going to be another warm run.

Have a good day. image

Have a good day. image
  • Ollie - Hope the 16 was goodimage

Tek - Sounds like a tough club session, well doneimage

----------

Change of plan, did club race. 2k uphill TT, something like 120m of ascent so was happy with 9:33 as it was roughly in line with other guys of around similar pace to me. Which is surprising as I suck running uphill!image Legs smashed now.

10k race tomorrow, likely be at HMP though.

• TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

Ollie I hope the 16 went well

Stuart ouch that sounded like a hard TT, well done; good luck tomorrow for the 10k

----

9.80m tonight up and around Hampstead Heath with the club - just about held on to the back of the slow group!  I was hoping to join this lot for a midweek 10m @ MP - no chance on such a lumpy route.imageimage

• HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Well done guys.

• tricialitttricialitt ✭✭✭

Managed my 11 mile run home despite the heat, a shitty day, that meant I forgot to eat until lunchtime, and 4 meetings that left me with  a real tension headache- plus, as a bonus, I've ordered some new Brooks adrenalines off t'interweb.

• Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭

tricia - same at my gym. Classes would open for booking two weeks prior. If you want to book, say, the Monday morning class, then you have to book it as soon as it goes live. If you forget and wait until, say, mid-morning, all the spaces have gone.

Good job on that 11 miler, though!

SM - well done on the hill race!

---

Another 4 miles today after just doing yoga yesterday. Still took it easy but it went better and I threw in some strides during the last mile.

My Osterley Park race number has just arrived. It even has my name on it!

• Cal /Tric my gym allows 9 days to book a class ! but like yours classes fill as soon as they come live , but I keep an eye on it with the APP and more oftern than not people drop out and spaces become available nearer the time , we are meant to give atvleast 24 hours notice to cancel a class if all else fails I just swim , Cal is you race is your race this weekend ? 

Tric nice warm 11 , cant say I am looking forward to marathon training if its a hot summer 

Tek well done on the 9.8 

SM6 good  luck with todays 10k it will be interesting to see how you on ! with mashed legs ! 

Ollie ! I hope the hot 16 went ok ! 

Half mile swim and track session yesterday  6x600 average pace 6.05 my quads still whinging from Sundays race 

Easy 4 @ 8.19s today all done and dusted ... alot cooler too 

• TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

HM thanks

Tricia well done on the 11m home run; hope the new Brooks give you some extra bounce

Cal nice 4 miler plus strides

NN fast 600s! Well done, and nice pace for the easy 4 

---

Just an easy 4m for me tonight, tooimage

• OlliepopOlliepop ✭✭✭

Hey all. image

SM6: 16 went well thanks (done in ~2:04), nice going on the club race, hope the 10k went well today.
    Teknik: Cheers, 16 miles went good.  Nice going on the 9.8 yesterday, and the 4 miles today.
    HM4: Cheers.
    Tricia: Nice going on the 11 miles, hope you enjoy running in your new trainers when they arrive.
    Cal: Good going on the 4 miles with strides.  What day is the Osterley Park race on?
    NN: Yeah, 16 miles were good thanks.  Good going on the swim and the track session yesterday.  Good work on the easy 4 as well.

- - - - - - - - - -

Double day again for me.
    Started off fairly early with a 2 mile warm up and then some hill repeats (5 x 2 mins.)  Didn't manage to get as far up the hills as I got pre-Manchester but not too far off.  Jogged the 0.4 miles back home for 5.1 miles total.

Later on in the evening, had an easy 5 mile run and a nice dinner during the run given the amount of insects that flew into my mouth.  Well it was only 2 or 3, I didn't set out for a culinary run, but still enough to make me feel glad not to be a fly on the (stomach) wall.

So that leaves me with 10.1 miles done for the day, easy day tomorrow methinks.
    Have a good 'un. image

Have a good day. image
  • Quick post, as on phone.

Struggled tonight, and course was way long (6.7x miles). Fell apart over last 2k, through 10k in 39:0x. I can't do back to back races, most ofthe group were on there third day of racing!

• Evening Runners,   I hope this is ok, I am really after some advice and would appreciate the knowledge you all share!   I am soon to start RW Smart coach 16WK marathon programme (4th July start date) training for Snowdonia Marathon 2016.  What are peoples views on this particular programme?  I was thinking of following it on the whole, but I'm not too sure about the idea of only running 3 times per week ( I appreciate it states X training in so that gives extra added bonus) I think by week 4 I should make it 4 runs and keep to 4 runs for the programme. Keen to know peoples views?? I also wont always hit the suggested target pace for the long runs as I feel every third long run should be at ivinghoe Beacon on a particularly challenging lap I will repeat to simulate closer to the profile of the marathon. (still achieving distance but accepting pace will drop when hitting the climbs)   Secondly my bkground is whislt I have a reasonably quick PB for London marathon this was a few years back.  I've done many races but in all honestly until last few weeks my running has been very random and therefore not progressive.  I really want to build my fitness ready for 4th July programme start date.  Please could you let me know the best way to achieve this?  Ive been hitting long runs on the weekends but only as of recent then trying some speedwork in the week (but lacking speed!) am I best to just get miles in my legs until programme starts I should I get tempo runs in, speedwork and long runs even in build up to training plan?   Lastly (+ I apologise for the long message) I haven't a great deal of money at the moment so a gym membership isn't really suitable for me (yes I know they are cheap these days but budget is tight image     However I do own a range of kettlebells and a workout DVD, would this be good strength and conditioning as part of my marathon training programme?    I also own the insanity dvd package- I wont be able to follow the full programme but would this make a good workout perhaps picking one of the DVDs per week?   I am also aware of a workout called TON UPS where I find 10 exercises repeat 10 times and do a few sets.   I would really value all comments on how I can ensure I am most productive right from now (in build up to the training programme and then during the actual programme.  I don't want to do things for sake of doing them rather know they are helping me build up.   I certainly don't feel strong or quick at the moment, when ive had a focused training plan before for events I have been dedicated and stuck to it so feel this is the target!! (my last 13 mile was 9min30 secs pace and the profile was all flat)     Thank you so much for your advice and i value your feedback!   Ryan
  • TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

Ollie well done on the hill reps and fly-ridden 5

Stuart nice time given the extra 0.5km!

Ryan sorry TLDR - in the build up I would just try to get some longer runs in - at an easy pace to avoid injuring yourself before the plan starts

---

4m easy again here

---

Upcoming races

11/6/16 Osterley Park 10k          Cal Jones
    11/6/16 Lochalsh Dirty 30           Other Half
    12/6/16 Leeds Olympic Triathlon Dr Dan

Good luck peepsimage

• OlliepopOlliepop ✭✭✭

SM6: Nice going on the back-to-back races.  Sub-40 10k not bad at all considering the hilly 2k yesterday.
    Teknik: Good going on the 4 miles today.

Ryan: A lot to consider really, but I'd tell you what I do and if it suffices as good advice, then all the better.  Though most people are more experienced/knowledgeable than me so if I were you, I'd follow anybody else's advice.
    - Not seen the plan so can't comment on it, can you provide an idea of a typical week.
    - I'd favour four runs a week, but do however many runs makes you feel most confident.
    - Long run pace targets should be adjusted for hills and the like, so no worries with slowing down the pace up the hills.
    - No idea re: strength work but I'm guessing you can manage all the strength training at home w/o needing to go to a gym as long as you have the equipment for it.
    Hope this helps somewhat.

- - - - - - - - - -

5 miles easy running from me, managed to beat the downpour.

Have a good day. image

Have a good day. image
  • HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Well done guys.

Cal, OH & Dr Dan,

Good luck.

• Good luck to the racers this weekendimage

Ollie - Well done on the 5, yesterdays double and the 16. Nice miles alreadyimage

Tek - Good recovery effortimage

Ryan - I'd agree with what Ollie says. I'll add, on the strength/conditioning front, stuff like insanity I guess is high intensity? So you'd not want to be doing that on top of a lot of hard run sessions. I'd favour a more strength based approach to weights, instead of the more cardio stuff like bodypump etc. But I think a few on here do that sort of stuff.

And your long run doesn't really need to be fast, a lot of people just do them as time on feet. Good luck!image

NN - Cracking track sessionimage

Tricia - Well done on the 11 miles home!

----------

Well I think I can see why I had a bit of a disappointing run last night. I've thought all week I've had a bit of a reaction from my hayfever, but felt pretty blocked up on Thursday afternoon. And today I woke up feeling like I'd taken a serious beating last night. So a rest day for me.

Strava had me at 39:06 for 10k last night, which sounds right but it was sight the rate that I was going backwards by then. The guy that headed my group was 58 seconds ahead of me, and that whole lead came from 5-6.7 miles. And one guy managed to take 31 seconds out of me in the final 1200m!!!

Nevermind, I have a proper 10k next Friday, still hoping for ~38:20

• Evening 

SM6 , you were expecting to have a tough run on tired legs ! still managing to pull off a sub 40 10k sounds pretty good to me , take next week a bit easier ! what time are you hoping for ? 

Ollie nice doubles s day ! hoping to get a few of those in myself in my marathon build up this summer , glad you managed to avoid getting wet today I didnt ! 

Tek nice easy runs ! thanks for the race update good luck this weeks racers

Thought I would attempt my planned marathon @8mm ish ( target sub 3.35 ) pace for 7-8 miles today feeling very comfortable I decided to carry on did 10.5 miles in 1.24  there were a couple of times I had to reign it in a bit so very happy started  slowly a fairly flat route with a couple of hills 8.22..8.02..7.56..7.58..8.13..7.48..7.55..7.53..7.50..8.15..7.57.. felt great that used to be my tempo pace !! 

• yellow52yellow52 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone - been back from holiday a few days now, and very busy at work getting back into the swing of things. Good news is that the leg is a lot better - I'm taking a bit more care to warm-up, stretch, and ice after a run, and so far so good. Been reading back a little on the thread - there's too much good training to mention it all, well done everyone.

Ryan - welcome. For something like Snowdonia marathon, I'm guessing it's hilly, so you're doing the right thing to include hills in your long runs. Pace will be slower for those - just as it will be for the marathon itself I would assume. 

Special good luck shout out to this weekend's racers - Cal, OH and DrDan

----------

This week has involved treadmill intervals (8x400m @ 3k pace), tempo run (6 miles with 3 @ 15k-ish pace), and a steady 4 miles with 20s sprints. Tomorrow should be med long run (15k) with bike recovery on Sunday.

• OlliepopOlliepop ✭✭✭

Morning.

Good luck to Cal and OH in their races today, and to anybody else racing, enjoy.

HM4: Thank you.
    SM6: Oh dear, hope the rest day helped, and good luck in your 10k on Friday.
    NN: Thanks, enjoy doing the doubles as a nice way to get a run in where I can just enjoy running.  Sounds like a great marathon paced run for you yesterday, good stuff.
    Yellow: Good news re: the leg, and sounds like a good bit of training over the past few days.  Enjoy the MLR.

- - - - - - - - - -

Coffee first, back home late due to brother's birthday (but stayed off the alcohol, can't say the same for him...), so off for a 3 mile jog, parkrun, post-parkrun breakfast, then a 3 mile jog back.

Have a good day. image

Have a good day. image
  • OlliepopOlliepop ✭✭✭

Morning again.

18:33.85 for second place at parkrun today.

Have a good day. image
  • StewartCStewartC ✭✭✭

good luck racers this weekend, I am looking forward to the reports

some quality training and racing already this week, unfortunately nothing from me, I have picked up an injury to my popliteus muscle at the back of the knee so no running since Monday, very frustrating to say the least, I am hopeful I won't be out of action for too long, but I won't be rushing back and risking a longer stint out.

• Stewart - Be careful, as you say don't rush back too soon!

Ollie - Very nice parkrunimage

Yellow - Looks like some training this weekimage

NN - Cracking 10 miles yesterday!image I think on a perfectly flat course (such as the one I ran on Thursday image) I should be able to go under 38 minutes for 10k, but Fridays has a few undulations so mid 38s will be the aim. 

--------

8 miles with parkrun in the middle. Not sure what I ran, 24ish would be the guess. Chased a few folk down at the end so the last mile was a bit quicker than planned.