Sub 3h15

Comments

• Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭

Looking fordward to Badbarks report,should be a goodun image

7 x 800m at 5:30 this morn before work while we wait,no dogs on the running track to hurdle for a change  image

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

OO - excellent parkrunning by the OO family - congrats to junior on the course record!
    Leslie - good work at parkrun with a strong finish.
    PMJ - well done on volunteering to pace the young lad.
    GD - a good week's running.
    Poacher - nice sub 20.
    Birch - good niggle-free parkrunning too.
    Lorenzo - well done to Lorenzito - that's an impressive 1500m time.
    Fishy - nice mileage.
    SJ - excellent performance - you should be chuffed with that!
    BB - fantastic effort - that's a cracking time and position to claim. Look forward to hearing the gory details.
    Leslie - good early reps. Shame you missed out on the hurdle practiceimage
    8 slow miles. Avg HR a bit higher than the last few days - 143.

• BirchBirch ✭✭✭

Ditto the plaudits for Badbark

800m reps at 05:30 !  you're in Gul territory, Leslie image

6 yesterday to complete a 55 mile week - biggest this year.  Need to plan this week with 10K on Sunday in mind .  

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

Well done, Badbark.

Life has taken over of late, so have kept up with FB but not the thread.  Will attempt a read back later on today or tomorrow.

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Blimey Birch. I only managed 25 last week, my lowest for some time.

• SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭
    Hope BB is recovering - sounded like a tough day out

Leeds was good fun.

Positives - great course, swam well, biked like a monster, PB, watched the pros later who frighteningly quick, good night out with club mates afterwards image latest results have me at 134th/1997 and 19th in age group

Negatives - logistics were awful (info, signage, baggage, worst organised race I've ever seen), transition 1 was 500m from swim and 500m from bike start so took ages (worth at least 5mins), I left the club night out a bit too early and missed partying with Alistair Brownlee in the next venue they went to image
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Three bits of news today;

GNR confirmed a place for my 3rd 'A' race of year. The Coastal Run in July is the 2nd. 

I got my VLM confirmation for GFA, 12 hours after submitting (anyone else confirmed yet?)

My eldest daughter got the keys for her flat in Greenwich, so accommodation is sorted image 

• How di do. Mind if I join? long slow off-road runner wanting to shorten distance for awhile and see if I can add some faster stuff and improve on a 3.15 a few years ago. Would help me to share the experience with like-minded.

Rough plan is conventional lsr on a Sunday, Monday steady, tue easy, wed track, thu rest, fri easy-steady, sat rest. Of those the sun and fri runs will be morning and going to see how far I can take running on empty as definitely think their are benefits from improving utilisation of fat for fuel, which I've been practicing awhile in slower off-road runs up to a couple of hours. I expect when over 2hrs and at faster road pace I will bring in a pre-run energy drink And energy during. anybody got any experience or thoughts on this?

From Hull and will be targeting Hull marathon in Sept.

• OO - yes, all working very efficiently this year. Have paid my dues so I'll be on the start line again in April. Already looking forward to Chandos afterwards!

Badbark - wowzers! If I can get within 3 hours of that for my run this weekend I'll be chuffed. Hope you enjoyed the beers. Looking forward to the report.

Leslie - just realised that "7 x 800m at 5:30" refers to the time of day and not the pace. Impressive either way!

DEot - welcome. Good to see you on here. There's always plenty of advice flying around along with a good selection of banter. What's your running history and more importantly, what's with the picture?!

Short commuting session for me today on the back of 10 miles yesterday giving me 50 for the week. Hoping to take this week nice and easy. 

• Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭

Birch-nice week and why should Gul have all the fun of silly o clock runsimage

Jools-hope you get back on track soon 

Slokey- shame you missed your celeb pals 

0053-vlm target 2:59:59 next year ?

Deot-welcome ,with your ultra experience you possibly won't need any energy drinks but time will tell.

Lorenzo- Nice week and 5:30m/mile lol only in my dreams ! more like 6:20 for now though hoping to get to 6 m/milling soon not at 5:30am though image

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

Birch - top mileage. Well done.
    Jools - nice to hear from you. Enjoy the catch-up!
    SJ - you could take the bad organisation as a positive in that you managed to do so well in spite of it all!
    OO - that's a lot of good news all in one day!
    DEot - welcome to the thread. Look forward to hearing how you get on.
    Lorenzo - can't be long to go now?
    Leslie - is there an inverse relationship between the time of day and the pace, thenimage
    10 slow miles. Avg HR back down to 133 today, but peaked at 181! Must have been on the undulating section.

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

Euph! It's me, the poster formerly known as Spotter's Badge! image
    We were old buddies on the sub-3.45 thread years ago. I said hello to you on the start line of FLM09.
    After that marathon I could take the running pain no longer and had my hip re-shaped as it turns out I had a bone deformity. With well over a year off a mate got me back into entering marathons by tempting me with Pars 2013 (3.23). Thanks to help from the crazy mob on here I'm now down to 3.11 (a GFA at VLM2016) with a view to beating that in Berlin in September which will be my 10th marathon. Great to hear from you again. Welcome to the party!

Slightly cooler yesterday and despite a heavy training week last week, legs felt better so knocked out 6 miles at 6.58 pace. Track tonight, 15x400 with 1 min recoveries. Should be interesting!

GD

• Thanks all for the welcome image

History for me is lots of marathon underachievement (in my own mind) since debut in 2005, barring a good 3.45 at Windermere in 2007 the only other road marathon I've been satisfied with was York in 2014 where I managed race well for a 3.15 and a few secs.

I turned more off-road about 2010 after a few excursions and have a definite preference for one-man-and-his-dog type events or stuff that really gets off the beaten track. Best trail run probably 8.20ish for Woldsman 50 last year on a windy day and course with a few challenging hills that weren't runnable, so made me all the happier with speed on rest. But perhaps more satisfying has just been completing a few hundred plus milers off-road on hilly/mountainous courses, completing the TDS and completing Wainwrights C2C (190m+) in 79 hours during a limited-support event earlier this month.

I think the long slow has helped in some respects as set marathon and 10k PBs during this period, but think I've neglected speed for too long and need to work that in again to move faster.

Ultra's, long as they are can be easier in that you can turn around a bad patch easier at slower speeds, marathons on road I've always found more difficult.

The pic isn't me, but he makes me smile, and epitomises a grit I try to apply when going gets tough.

Hey there G-Dawg (SB) good to hear from you and glad your on track and going really well.

Just some steady pace running for me tonight, away from home in Reading so need to find a decent park or suchlike.

• SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭
    Welcome Euph. A mate of mine did the C2C the other week too (Iain) probably finished a couple of hours ahead of you. Grumpy git with a beard.
  • SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭
    He also has manky feet.
  • SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭
    As well as being grumpy and having a beard I mean, I wasn't implying that you have manky feet

Although you probably have if you've just run for 3 days straight....
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Euph- I hope you like this abbreviation, it's a lot easier. Welcome to this fine thread and thanks for the background. As GD says we all got a lot better from much wise advice on here.

Leslie, yes same target next year but I haven't given up on an autumn marathon yet. 

• Drunken Euphoria on tour wrote (see)

Just some steady pace running for me tonight, away from home in Reading so need to find a decent park or suchlike.

Thames is good. Downstream will take you to London, upstream to Oxford and beyond.

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

Yup, Thames or Kennet & Avon canal.  Palmer Park is probably the biggest park in East Reading and Prospect Park in West Reading, but there are others.  There is a track at Palmer Park although I'm not sure who is allowed to use it.

• Thanks all. Found a route to do the pace, nothing memorable but OK for some quick fastish miles. Been here before and did go down the canal and into an area of fishing ponds which was a nicer run at easy pace.

I've been around the running world awhile bit always interested to see how others do things. Especially those a bit faster than me the running on empty to get efficient at fat burning plan trial comes from reading Eoin Keith blog, it's amazing how little fuel he takes on in a multiday race, in car terms he's like some sort of efficient hybrid sports car with a long range, I can do the range but more a tractor in pace and consumption

Yep ran with Ian a bit and talked to him a few times. He did cracking and coped really well with the miles and little sleep (especially considering he spent one night in a bivvy bag in a ruin in windy Swaldedale). seemed a nice chap like all those I met those few days. Your right in that my feet were pretty manky after this too,Mrs would argue they always are. And nicely swollen feet ankles too. As well as an angry left achilles, which has just about stopped being angry enough so I can get to proper running again. 3.15 pace still feels way too hard at present though.
  • Euph - happy to call you this although it's a bit confusing as elder Lorenzito plays a euphonium and calls it Euph. I've got a vague recollection of you from the sub-3:45 thread as I was on there at the start of my marafunning adventure (2006).

8:20 for a hilly 50 miler isn't messing around and 190 miles in any time of less than a week is impressive so look forward to seeing you get on with the shorter stuff over the next 3 months in the run up to Hull. What time are you aiming for?

Gul - yes, it's all approaching very quickly now. Have got my stuff laid out in the spare room and just need to workout which rucksack to put it in.

Another pair of short commuting runs today although the journey from the office back to the station was a bit rapid as I left a crucial couple of minutes after I was planning on leaving. At least I didn't have to stand next to myself sweating on the train!

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

Welcome Euph - Plenty of sound peeps and advice around here.image

SJ - Excellent effort at the Leeds tri. I watched it and the crowds were amazing. There was a big troop of Jersey tri athletes over there. Looked like a tough event but fun and great to Alistair back where he belongs at the top of the podium. The Olympic event is shaping up to be a tasty one. 

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

GD - nice tempo run. How did the track session go?
    Euph  - nifty 50 mile trail run there!
    Lorenzo
     - yes, timing becomes more critical when you've got a train or bus waiting!
    Another 6 slow miles this morning. HR back up to 140, but then it was about 30s/m faster. Hoping to get a few more miles in on the way to work today.

• Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭

Gul- definitely some relationship between time of day and pace for most of us,depends what you are used to but we can all adapt if we want to..image Are you getting any useful data from this heartrate ?

Lorenzo-goodluck 

Euph-50 and 190 milers ,serious miles.!image

6 easy this morn .

• SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭
    double post...
  • BadbarkBadbark ✭✭✭

The Portumna Forest 100k Ultra Marathon.

I attempted the 100k at Portumna in 2014 but was made to stop by a Doctor after 85k. I’ll not go into details on what occurred in that occasion, but I’m sure some on this thread will remember my report containing the words ‘blood’ and ‘walnut’ fondly.

Two years and a bit of surgery later, I was back determined to get my revenge on my only DNF. It was only 12 weeks after a 5 week lay off but I was feeling confident after 3 x sub 3 marathons, and 35 and 51 mile training runs.

The race began at 7 am with a 50k starting at the same time. The course was a 5k lolly pop shaped lap with only a few undulations. Obviously the 100k runners had 20 laps to do and the 50k just the 10. There was also a half marathon beginning at 9am and a marathon beginning at 12 pm on the same course.

Weather conditions were perfect at the start with no wind and about 15 degrees. However, the forecast was for the low to mid twenties in the afternoon which was bound to take it’s toll. I checked the list of competitors before the start and recognised the course record holder ‘Vasiliy’ as number 39.

My plan was to run about 25 minutes a lap until about half way and allow a gradual slow down to 30 minutes over the 2nd half. This would see me finish just under 9 hours, however finishing was my main goal and I was prepared to walk or crawl if I had to! I was going to stop every lap to take about 100-150 cals. I had gels, bananas, fruit loaf, powerbars, boiled sweets, canned fruit, honey, dextrose tablets and energy drinks with me to choose from. I was well prepared this time with a plastic box which also contained Vaseline, spare clothes, tablets, toilet roll, sun tan lotion, lip balm and even the kitchen sink!image

The race began on time and I settled into an easy 8 minute mile pace. 100k runners had green numbers and 50k blue and we could keep track of each other on the out and back part of the course. I counted 6 green numbers ahead of me on the first lap and I soon began chatting to guy named Darren, who was also planning to run about 25 minute laps.

As we chatted the time flew by and we completed the first 5 laps in 24:56, 24:48, 25:10, 24:52 and 25:18. Three runners had stormed ahead including the record holder. A couple more were not far ahead and few others just behind.

Darren was training for a 300km ultra over the alps and ran 140 miles weekly. However, on the 6th lap he developed a blister and had to stop to sort himself out. A few laps later he dropped out completely and I ran the rest of the race on my own. I ran 25:01, 25:23, 25:23, 25:15 and 25:33 to reach half way in about 4 hours 11 minutes. I later discovered that only 1st and 2nd in the 50k had finished their race before this!

I was still feeling good and had noticed a few other runners starting to drop back. I ran the next two laps in 25:48 and 26:02 but then it starting to get tough. The sun was out and it was over 20 degrees. My stomach was giving me a few problems too. It felt like an inflated balloon half filled with water and squelched with every step. I was finding it difficult eating or drinking anything.

I was taking longer breaks now every lap of about 1 to 2 minutes and my pace was now slowing to 9 minute miles. I ran the next two in 29:42 and 28:00 but my stomach kept getting worse. I was forced for the first time in any race to stop at a portaloo for a squat.

For about 10 seconds I released wind strong enough to shake the loo and the relief was instant. This was all I needed, and off I ran again. The relief was short lived though as I began feeling faint and had to stop to sit down. Within a minute I was running again but with ov

• BadbarkBadbark ✭✭✭

Within a minute I was running again but with over 25k still to go I seriously considered stopping.

Was it really worth it? I’m not enjoying this at all. I’m a marathon runner not an ultra marathon runner so stop. I’ve a 12 hour race in 2 weeks and could stop now using this as a training run. Never again. Why did I manage 51 miles in training easier? These were just a few of my thoughts.

As I walked a bit one of the organisers said ‘Dig deep, you have it in you’, which really hit home. I gritted my teeth and carried on, determined to finish even if I had to walk or crawl.

I finished the next laps in 31:35, 34:35, 31:42 and 33:27 running at 10 minute mile pace and occasionally walking. I had been as high as second place after 60k but was now down in 4th . I plodded on and with 10k to go I began feeling stronger again. I knew I was going to make it and was starting to close on the third place runner.

I ran 30:38 and was about 30 seconds behind 3rd going into the last lap. Unfortunately, he noticed how close I was getting and kicked too. It’s funny how fast 9 minute miles feel when you’ve just run over 95k! I was giving it everything I could telling myself I was a machine, but he kept pulling away. In the end he finished a minute ahead, even though I completed the last lap in 28:30 which was my fastest for 6 laps.

My finishing time was 9:11:24 and the winner was Vasiliy in 8:41:49, which was about 55 minutes slower than his course record. I’m sure the heat had a lot to do with that.

I was a little disappointed to come so close to a podium and miss out. However, my pride on finishing pales this into insignificance. It was by far the hardest thing I have ever completed. Its one thing hitting the wall in a marathon with a few miles to go, and making it to the end. However, to hit the wall with 15 to 20 miles to go and finish, is something else entirely. I’m sure it’s even worse for 100 mile runners with 30 miles to go!

I’ve learnt a lot about myself and ultra running with this race. Ultra running is a lot more about pain management and less about running talent. It really is a battle in the brain. You just have to keep plodding on, however slowly. Relentless move forward.

Next up is a 12 hour race on the 25th of June. The thought of it at the minute scares the bejezus out of me.

• FreemersFreemers ✭✭✭

Euph - there's a blast from the past!  How the devil are you?  VLM 2009 I think was when we met on the blue start?  Sounds like you have been getting into some serious long stuff, rather you than me image

Badbark - epic stuff!

Bit busy this week so not really keeping up or running much - just a few short treadmill sessions this week, but I will get outside later today.

• BirchBirch ✭✭✭

ffs, Badbark - just incredible !  just reading your report makes me blanch at the mental & physical effort required for these escapades  . . . .

• Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭

Badbark- epic stuff image you had a tough run and are within 30 minutes of the winner on limited training due to your op ,Id say you have a future in ultra running image but 12hr race in 10 days image