Evening run

hi, still new to running and enjoying it but find it really hard to get motivated for an evening run, I'm a morning person and have horses dogs goats and cats to care for so I get them sorted and go out before midday but today I ran out of time and I really don't feel like lacing up and heading off this time of the evening, an advice or tips would be great, thanks 

Comments

• Tom13Tom13 ✭✭✭

I never run in the evenings so always make sure I have enough time in the mornings to run. It might mean you need to get up a bit earlier to ensure you get everything done but then at least you will not have to worry about trying to head out in the evenings when you don't want to.

• The only way I can run in the evening is to do it straight after work and before I get home. I take running gear to work and change before I leave, drive to where the kids are in after school club, run, then collect the kids. If I go home, or in particular if I sit down on the sofa, then all is lost. I also run in the evening when the kids are in a karate class. I have to be there anyway and it's pretty dull sitting watching. It's an hour long, so that gives me time for a run followed by a shower in the sports centre where karate is happening.  

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

I sometimes take running gear to work and run from the office (I have a key to get back into the building after hours) - that's a 'treat' too because my office is near a lovely beach and my house isn't.

Otherwise, if I'm at home and it's late-ish, my main motivation-sapper is wanting my dinner and not wanting to spend ages cooking post-run. In that case, I sometimes decide what to have for dinner and get everything ready to cook, chop up ingredients etc. before I go for my run, so that I can just have my tea as soon as I get in.

• I much prefer to run in the evenings - I'm a real night owl. One thing that helps to ensure that I go out when I intend to is to change into my running gear - even if I don't go immediately it seems like a waste to put all the gear on and take it off again without actually running.

• I'm not a morning person so I always run in the evening. Even then, to get me motivated I have to go straight from work. Once I've got home and sat on the sofa it's hard to get out again! Also have you considered joining a running club? They tend to meet in the evening and having people to meet could give you extra motivation. 

• MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭

My secret weapon on arriving home from work and knowing I need to go for a run is the power nap. Up to an hour zonked out on the sofa, and I'm good to go.

• I admit to needing little motivation to run any time, but can you run at lunchtimes?

• Thanks to everyone, some really good ideas and support. If I run by 1pm I'm fine, if I don't then it takes everything to get me in my running gear and get out.  a running club is a great idea, will look into a local one, also getting dinner prepared ready for when I get back in.  Thanks again. Happy running