sub 4 hour group,if anyone wants to get together

Comments

• That is great news re the knees Ikle.

• Yes! And congratulations yourself for your TOTP!! image
  • Think you scared everyone off...

All good here. Flying Tuesday - assuming no strikes in Paris.
  • ShedboyShedboy ✭✭✭

Good luck FRC.  Your knees look much better in that picture image

Bad news for me - all my problems have been result of an ACL (cruciate ligament) tear.  I have been running with a torn acl since February, including a blimin marathon.  Thats nearly 300 miles!

Damn skiing!! so the hamstring strain and tear in calf all a direct result of this.  A decision on if I get op or not in next few weeks.  Regardless its months out.

Im not very lucky with injuries image  I am hyper mobile which doesn't help ....grrrrr

• Ouch, sorry to hear Sheddy! Time to work on the swimming?

A nice 17 mile run for me on the weekend, first long run in awhile. It was surprisingly speedy and enjoyable given my longest run before that was only 10.. and I cycled 80 miles the day before.. and ran 5 miles.. image

HAVE A GREAT TIME FRC!!

• ShedboyShedboy ✭✭✭

I knew you would say that JCG!! exactly what physio has said.

Super fit coops!!!

• Predictability Coops, at your service!
  • Sorry for my absence. A combination of work (British Soap Awards) and some time away in North Devon. Still running including a couple of lovely runs whilst away. I have some good running routes at home but Devon is just so much better. 

• Safely back from SA. Just a wonderful race, bastard hard but great too.
  • Yes well done again. Epic stuff. I done a race too. Yet another not sub 4 marathon. Bit still worth a race report in due time.... Quiet on here huh? Good 2 c u JCG and FRC and HOW and SOB. image
  • I'm looking forward to the race reports from you both image

I'm moving to Manchester, will be there by the end of the month. Exciting but sad to be leaving all my friends and favourite running/cycling/swimming spots. Tapering this week - I have my half ironman 'warm-up' race next weekend. Whoop.

• You should do Manchester next year then. I have discounted entry dontcha know...
  • Wiiiew, look at you. I probably will, if you doimage
  • Hmmm tis a long way to come but may well do. image
  • Tumbleweed.... Unless it's just JCG and Ikle chatting.

I really think Manchester Mara will struggle next year...from 3.500 to 9,500 runners in 4 years, but a massive backlash coming after last year's baggage problem and then the short course discovered for 3 years. Reckon it will drop a lot.

You did the Kent Roadrunner Ikle? meant to be a great fast course. Has been used for the UK & team GB races.

Still a bit hohum after Comrades. Frustrating not to get best speed out and get near or do sub 9, but vomitting half way really limited what I could take in energy wise, just liquids. Then retching at finish line for 1-2 minutes. Had similar at Glasgow to Edinburgh also.

JCG you ever have this after races, half iron or longer?
  • I'm off to Andalucía on Monday with Mrs RoadRunner. We are touring using a combination of trains and car hire. I am still debating whether or not to take any running gear. It is going to be HOT there and I am not training for anything in the short term so I am tempted to have two weeks with no running - heresy!

• FRC - ever thrown up or feel hohum?

I've never thrown up from exercise, I don't think I've ever had the fitness before to push my body that far. First time was last week where I felt sick after a track session, but no so far as to actually vom. My fitness has jumped up considerably in the last couple weeks. 

Hohum - yes, definitely. Mixed feelings after my last half-iron, really proud of myself for achieving such a thing, but at the same time feeling disappointed I didn't achieve it just that bit faster. Planning to sort that out on the weekend.. 

Have a great holiday Howard! I say take the running kit, imagine seeing a pretty trail and not being able to run on it!

• Got to take your shoes Howard.. go out early in some nice hills and then enjoy breakfast? That's what i did in Malta.

Park run in Spain anywhere?

vom I meant JCG. Everyone feels a bit blue after a big event. Not sure if it's the impact or pace. Or mix of gels& electrolyte. Trail ultras are so much easier...
  • But loops equal bigger distance. FRC, if you had seen my splits you would have been cross. Way too fast out like a rookie and paid for it in last 6 laps.

Can I just say I Really Hate my job at the moment because I can't on Facebook. Thanks.
  • I think pace/too much effort is the vom inducer. Husband is training for a trail ultra in a couple weeks, he has been running too fast on long runs, came home on the weekend, was sick and then had to stay in bed for the rest of the day. No gels (which is probably some of the issue here), just one and half of those 'bounce' balls, and 2 litres of water from a camelbak over 26 miles.

Sorry the job is rubbish at the moment Ikle.

• Last 6 miles I mean... Thanks JCG. Thank heavens for the weekend and for Parkrun.
  • Doesn't everyone hate their job Ikle? Stick in there.

Looped courses are faster? Can run the race line, cut corners. Garmins can measure them incorrectly though.

Pace wasn't that fast JCG. Probably 1.5-2 minutes slower than marathon pace and with walking breaks. Approx 4:10-15 for marathon dist, 4:30 half way. 2.5 gels, couple of salt sticks, plenty sips of water. Road and hill impact though maybe affecting me?

Has been very hot at weekends JCG so that will have affected your husband. Sunstroke as well easy to get it on neck and head.

Nice recipe for peanut butter protein balls on RW.
  • Hey I really miss you guys! You will come back to play when I get sub 4 won't you??!image
  • Might be FRC - possibly also overdoing it in general? You do seem to be training/racing lots (Coops in a glass house over here).

I like loops.

I smashed my half ironman on the weekend, finished in 5:25, knocking a whopping 1 hour 20 mins or so off my Pb, finishing with a 1:51 half marathon. Talked to tri club coach last night and there is an outside chance of a sub-4 ironman marathon based on my times in this race and how training has been going generally.. but we will see.

• Hello all

Just coop That's amazingimage

• ShedboyShedboy ✭✭✭

wow jcg superb!!! well done

• Great stuff JCG. That's a big improvement, so must be doing something endurance wise. Makes you wonder what your none iron half and marathon times would be.... image
  • Ikle, we will think about it...

Not been overdoing it, training is fine, and not huge miles, trail race Feb, Marathon March plus training camp, ultra April with marathon, 6 weeks break before Comrades, plenty of recovery. Most of those not fully raced either, marathons run walk, ultras also. Others doing far more than me to be honest.

Another ultra friend and a coach saying I wasn't taking enough fuel on, stomach empty therefore vomitting... Weird. Something to work on. Races need to have more sausage rolls, pork pies and sandwiches. image