What is wrong with me?

I have been a sort of on again - off again runner for the last few years. I'm currently in my longest "on again" period ever - I have been running consistently since October last year. My aim would be to do a 10k in September and hopefully a half marathon next year - I don't really care about times, but for a guage, my Parkrun pb is 31:35.

Now for the problem -for the last few weeks, my legs have been really hurting - like DOMS except that it gets worse immediately after a run. It may fade a day or two later and then flares back up again when I run again. I have recently had a rest for two weeks - Initially because of the pain in my legs and then I got ill. The pain eased off completely after a few days running, but 4 runs back into it and I'm back to square 1. I had to stop after 4 km today because my legs were so stiff and painful. I'm not running very far - about 5-6km 3 times a week - I had got up to one slightly longer run of 8km before the two week rest.

I've tried slowing down, I've tried stretching and foam rolling, but it doesn't seem to make much difference. I need to do some cross training, but that just makes the pain worse.

I don't know what I'm doing wrong - I was starting to think there was something wrong with me, but the pain going away after two weeks rest suggests that that probably isn't the case. Do I just need to start back at the beginning with C25K again? Or do I need to slow down even more and try to run further.

Please help - I'm tying myself up in knots wondering what the right course of action is and I'm really frustrated. Thanks

Comments

• VDOT52VDOT52 ✭✭✭
    You spend too much time asking questions about ailments, whether they are real or imagined.
  • Kate SpeedKate Speed ✭✭✭

What a spectacularly rude and unhelpful reply, it would have been better iif you hadn't bothered. I had thought these forums were supposed to be supportive and helpful. Evidently i was wrong.

As my last post was three months ago, I don't think I'm asking excessive questions but if its so offensive, I won't bother in future.

• Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭

Id say going back to a run/walk /run for a while is worth a try if running is too tough Ie walk every km or so whether you need to or not  as if you keep on the way it is now you will soon get fed up with it.image

• Q W233Q W233 ✭✭✭
    Kate Speed wrote (see)

What a spectacularly rude and unhelpful reply, it would have been better iif you hadn't bothered. I had thought these forums were supposed to be supportive and helpful. Evidently i was wrong.

As my last post was three months ago, I don't think I'm asking excessive questions but if its so offensive, I won't bother in future.

Don't worry, unfortunately there are quite a few sad people on these forums who seem to be out to discourage others/be rude. It's the worst when they turn out to be experienced runners themselves who instead of using their experience to help out decide to act like they're somewhat special on the internet.

Personally I would suggest slowing down to a point where there is no pain at all, which in turn should lead to less pain over faster pace/increased distances over time. also have you considered doing strength exercises on the legs? I've found especially working on quads has seriously given me some extra strength.

• HA77HA77 ✭✭✭

Where is the pain? Is it all muscles in your legs or just a specific area? Does it feel like the muscles loosen up when you start running or does the pain get worse?

• David J 27David J 27 ✭✭✭

Not sure where the pain is? Shoes? Couple of times when my shoes were past their best (partial collapse of cushioning) I start to get a calf pain - that at worst occurs quite severely a couple of miles into run but often after I run. Change of shoes, massage of calf and slow build up again fixed. (I hope I'm getting better at spotting before the injury now!)

• Sounds like you are doing a bit too much too soon. Normally 5-6km then an 8? That's nearly a 50% increase in distance - this just sounds like fairly typical overuse pain. Have a look through the injury forum, loads of people in the same boat. Build up very slowly and no more than a 10% increase in time or distance. But you'll need to cut right back for a while until things settle down then start a slow build up again.

Thank you for the more helpful posts. The pain is mainly in my thighs and glutes my calves are mostly ok._ I'm even having trouble walking todaythey atre sostiff and sore.  I had nrew running shoes about two or three months ago, buti'll try my old ones for a few runs just in case the shoes could be the culprit.

I think I do need to build up strength in my legs, but doing that hurts too!. Peter Everitt the8k was before ii had the two week break andi had built up gradually to that, but I take the point that I could still be trying to do too much too soon.

So, I'll take the rest of the week off, do some leg strengthening exercises and cut back on the distance and speed when I restart and see how things go. Thank you

Sorry about all the typos, I'm using my phone which isn't very easy to type on. Back to laptop later

• Your description above of where the pain is does sound like that after pushing really hard after a tough race, tight muscles. I read that you use a foam roller, that'll help if used properly and regularly but the root cause is likely your body complaining about doing things it's not used to. It'll ease with time and a slow build up, you'll get there, just be patientimage

• HA77HA77 ✭✭✭

I don't think it sounds at all like you're doing too much too soon. It sounds like you've built up gradually. You shouldn't suddenly start getting this sort of pain after running consistently since October, unless there is something you've changed e.g. more hills, faster pace, tried to change running style, started a strengthening program. Can you think of anything that you changed leading up to the pain starting?

Might be an idea to see a physio who specializes in running.

The only thing I can think of that changed is getting new running shoes - I'll try my old ones for a bit and see what happens. 

• HA77HA77 ✭✭✭

Maybe I'm clutching at straws but have you changed anything at home or work that affects your posture. I know I've had hamstring problems after a long trip in a mate's uncomfortable car. Also when my kids were younger I used to regularly get twinges when I ran but only on the weekend which I'm pretty sure was caused by spending lots of time sitting on the ground playing with them. Just a thought. Good luck.

• NessieNessie ✭✭✭

Hmmm, I'm with HA77  here.  Is there anything else other than training that might have changed recently?  There are a lot of things that can cause muscle pain other than using and abusing them, and it doesn't look like you have suddenly gone from running 5ks to marathons overnight.  The fact that you are getting pain during your runs and immediately after doesn't fit with DOMS.

Calcium and/or potassium deficiency can cause muscle pain, as can some medications or infections.  Might be worth trying to think back to just before this started to see if anything happened that might have had an effect.

• Kate I'm speaking from experience here when I say don't worry about it, everyone goes through these phases. Personally my entire running career's been like this: In the form of my life in April, barely able to run in May/June, then back to great form in July. It's almost impossible to tell what's causing it. Sleep patterns? Diet? Weather? The time of day you run at? Stress at work/home?

The only thing I can think of is anaemia which every runner seems to get at some point. Is there enough iron in your diet? However if you say it's a pain and not tiredness I doubt this is the problem.

Most likely you're just going through an off-period and will be back to your best in time image by the time that 10k comes around you'll be flying around the course in under an hour!

For the time being, I would say try reducing the distance of your runs or cut down to twice a week and try to gradually build up your distance again. I know it's frustrating going back to square one but sometimes it's the best thing to do.

I really really can't think of anything, my only regular medication is a nasal spray, but I've been on that for years , and symbicort (when I remember to take it). I have had a couple of colds recently and one turned iinto sinusitis which is why I had the two weeks off. I have had low calcium levels iin the past soi guess I should try and get that checked. Maybe a visit to the GP is in order.

I'll keep wracking my brains to see if I can think of anything else

• senidMsenidM ✭✭✭
    I'll preface this advice with a proviso, this is a public forum, all we do is offer our opinion, feel free to ignore, reply in kind, whatever.

You say, "I'll keep wracking my brains to see if I can think of anything else", my response to a runner who has been posting since 2008 and does not seem to have progressed much beyond a 5K is - Try looking in the Mirror, there's your problem.
  • JT141JT141 ✭✭✭
    I'm not a big fan of the Mirror, but I don't think it makes your legs hurt.
  • David J 27David J 27 ✭✭✭

I'm a fan of the mirror - as long as I squint a bit - running has kept me fit and happy - if a bit wrinkly now. I say keep going, it'll get sorted, its worth it and keep picking our brains for ideas ... my advice is probably useless but happy to try my tuppence worth. I ran for quite a few years on and off, including back problems,flitting between cycling and running, with little progress but then it clicked and I've had 15 years or so of relatively injury free pleasure with it since then. Most recently carefully moving to a more natural running style seems to have reaped dividends. I got a wobble board as part of the transition and might be worth a try for recovery, core strength etc? Finally got one of those hard spikey balls for massage combined with tiger balm for occasional sore muscles.

Senid that's slightly unfair. I did say on again/off again runner and have had periods since 2008 of noit running for several monthsto years- I've even had a baby during that time. I've never had this problem before though.

Thanks for all the helpful advuce, it is much appreciated

• ...and that Usain Bolt guy, been running for ages and hardly progressed beyond 200m.   image

I haven't actually been running since I posted that, I've been ill again, plus it's been difficult to get out with mine and husband's work schedules being a bit hectic and he ran a half Marathon at the weekend (so me and the kids were on cheering on duty!), but I'm hoping to try a gentle run tomorrow. I'll let you know how I get on

• VDOT52VDOT52 ✭✭✭
    I thought I was being helpful in a 'only a friend can say it one of way'. Maybe I should have introduced myself first...
  • VDOT52VDOT52 ✭✭✭
    I thought I was being helpful in a 'only a friend can say it kind of way'. Maybe I should have introduced myself first...
  • ZouseZouse ✭✭✭

It's always very tempting to try & pinpoint one particular cause of a pain or 'niggle' but it may be due to a combination of factors. It's always worth dialling back to recreate what you were doing before the pain started: shoes, diet, sleep pattern, daily routine etc.

Well, I thought I had just posted a reply, but it seems to have disappeared!

VDOT52, I apologise for taking offence if you were genuinely trying to be helpful.

I have done three runs now and so far so good. I've taken it very slowly and stuck to 5k or less - I plan to keep doing this for the next two or three weeks before very slowly upping my distance but not my speed.

Maybe I was trying to go too fast, I don't know, but I hope the pain doesn't come back again. I guess time will tell

• Good news Kate, perhaps a break is what you needed. Don't ignore your foam roller though, it may hurt but it is your friend!

• Like others have said it sounds like balls-to-the-wall-max-effort post run pain to me.

I tend to follow the a routine and I find it helps. My long runs are on Sunday and I usually pace about 80% effort. On Monday I rest and then on Tuesday I will go for a very short and light jog and combine with some stretching, strength or yoga type exercise.

The rest of the week I will do a few more runs at higher intensity but shorter distance than my long runs.  

When training I always have a nice dull ache in my legs but it always feels like a nice tiredness. I would never call this actual pain.

Did 5k this morning- only 8 minutes slower than my park run pb. But then I'm starting to realise that my problem may well have been trying to run at park run pace all the time - even for longer runs.

Different shoes today - no different so I don't think the shoes were the issue. My legs feel tired as if I have run, slightly achy but nothing more than I would expect. 

Onwards then. Can I manage a 10k in September?