Sub 3h15

Comments

• SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear that Jools, have friends who've been through it recently and it takes a long time and lots of angst to resolve it so stay strong.
  • SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭
    Day 3 - despite 4 hrs sleep and feeling broken first thing I seemed to get stronger as the day progressed today. Temperatures climbed steadily and hit 90deg by the summit of the second climb (Col de Peyresourdes) then a sweltering 105deg down in the valleys. 5th climb was a toughie (Col de Portet d'Aspet) in the heat and relentless inclines but a lovely cow drinking trough at the top which I had a lie down in. Time trial effort for the last 20miles to finish with an average for that section at 24mph

85miles and 8500ft of climbing done and the latest hotel has a pool! Just done a few leisurely lengths and having a beer in the sun. This is more like it!!

Cloud forecast for tomorrow!
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

Jools - sorry to hear that.
    Poacher - some decent miles going on this week - are you training for something?
    SJ - lying down in a trough - you're in good company thereimage Enjoy the clouds.
    2 x 5 miles this morning (HR 131 / 134) with a break in between to open the Church for the polling station staff.

• Fish52Fish52 ✭✭✭

Great riding and posting Slokey. It's like reading a preview to the TDF, but with more detail (puking and shivering!) You have ridden some big cols and must be pleased with your achievements.

Sorry to read about your emotional difficulties Jools. I'm sure you'll work it out - and in the meantime keep bashing out those 6mm.

I read your 10k exploits with interest Birch, as I had a similar experience. I was convinced that I would once again get below 40 minutes, but fuelled by an extravagant evening out the night before, faded quickly to post my slowest ever 10k of 41:10. I'm sure that the only way is up (in the hope that the time will come down!)

Nice base mileage there Gul. I'm matching your approach, but wonder whether I should add some quicker runs.

Missed a week on here, working in Thurrock, where I fully expected to bump into Smithy and Gavve'la. Running is a great way to explore new surroundings and I found some decent trails and paths leading to the Thames and back. I'm back there for another couple of days in a fortnight, with the potential for a much more significant contract, if things go well.

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

I also missed most of the week due to holidays in Cornwall. Sorry to hear about your break up Jools, Difficult time I don't doubt you will both work it out.

It's been nice running with junior this week and middle daughter who is also starting to take her running more seriously. She'll be living at home next year after leaving Uni. She has even mentioned joining my running club.

Cornwall is more hilly than I imagined. Lots of steady runs but also far too much food and drink going on. Fortunately I have a few weeks until the Coastal- are you in this year Poacher?

• SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭
    Day 4: hot again! Over 100degrees for most of the 90miles, and 90 at altitude - feeling utterly battered. Highlight was the Col de Pailheres at 2001m and then an incredible descent with dozens of hairpins down the mountain. Have finally got the nack of descending properly after a couple of tips from an ex pro - love it.

Another 11000ft nailed. Downhill to the finish!

Glad I've still got some cash in euros after seeing the news this morning - makes me feel rich
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

Fishy - my plan is to introduce some faster runs when I'm not making any more progress purely through the low HR runs,
    OO - whereabouts in Cornwall were/are you staying?
    SJ - hope you have your passport with youimage
    10 slow miles (Avg. HR 131). Average pace is generally under 9m/m now so making slow progress.

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

I'm in Mevagissey Gul, eating lots of scallops. 10 miler in the rain this morning, overcoming my shock at Brexit.

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

Sorry to hear the news, Jools. Running is a great tool for thinking time and stress relief. If it all starts to get heavy, pull the shoes on and run some calming miles.

Mevagissey! I love it there. Stayed in a mobile home camp park a few years ago and would run to the harbour and beach areas. Hope you're having a great time OO.

Rest day today after another 4 consecutive days of training. Hill reps yesterday on super mashed legs. 15 miles to be run at LSR pace tomorrow.

Brexit is a shocker. Really thought Remain would win. Our politicians on both sides let us down badly. Too much trading of personal insults during the campaign left the general populous ill-informed and voting on emotion rather than established facts.

GD

• BadbarkBadbark ✭✭✭

I’m all set for the 12 hour race tomorrow. Apparently there’s a 55 year guy named Jan-Albert Lantink attempting to break world records for 100k, 12 hours and 100 miles in the race. Just wait until he has to face the Madbark!image

In the 24 hour race starting at the same time, there are 13 countries represented and the race is a dress rehearsal for the 24 hour World Championship next year.

I think my body has recovered well from the 100k two weeks ago but I’m a bit concerned about a more personal issue. Lets just say that I’ve been having some walnut problems again.image If things start to go wrong I’m quitting early so I can watch NI v Wales!

Updates on the race will be here - https://twitter.com/energia24 

• Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭

Jools- hope you get things sorted soon 

Fishy-late nights and fast 10ks are mutually exclusive clubs image

0053- fresh competition in the family image

Slokey-what a time you are having image

G-dawg enjoy that 15 

Badbark all the best and I really hope you don't have a nut allergy image

set out for a longun but canned it after 11.5 mile with a fast finish instead as my legs were whacked after nightshift ,joys of shiftwork image

• BirchBirch ✭✭✭

good luck, Badbark  . . . .

• Fish52Fish52 ✭✭✭

12 hours to glory BB...with no pickled walnuts

• Sounds almost perfect OO - are you anywhere near the SW Coastal Path? 

Good luck tomorrow Madbark - any target for the 12 hours?

Sorry to hear your news Jools - hope things run smoothly.

After getting stuck at Clapham Junction yesterday evening trying to get home, I thought things couldn't get worse. 12 hours later I realised they could - much, much worse. Watched until about 2am last night and had a sense of doom and then got up at about 6.30am more in hope than expectation. Not even a 4.5 mile through the woods cheered me up in the slightest. image

On the bike tomorrow morning, hopefully with elder Lorenzito

• SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭
    Woke up in France to the news this morning - very disappointed but realise it's a personal thing and sections of the population have spoken. Might move to Scotland! Only a few miles up the road!

In other news:

Day 5 of Raid Pyrenees done! Fin! Coast to coast of France across the most beautiful mountains and valleys.

80 miles of fast riding today starting with an incredible descent with sweeping bends then a hard push through the heat to the coast. The last two days have given me a real appreciation of the art of descending - weight back and through the feet, ar5e 2mm off the seat, hands loose and relaxed and tilt into the bends - incredible sense of speed and control. Highly addictive.

Amazing to get to the med and have a beer!

Yay

Epic week - utterly brilliant

Dived into the sea and have been on the beer all afternoon after being on the redline every day this week - brill.
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

OO - we stayed just along the coast some years ago now. Enjoy the rest of the holiday.
    GD - enjoy the MLR.
    Badbark - hope it all goes well today.
    Leslie - have you got a rest day coming up?
    Lorenzo - yes, all very depressing. Went to bed after the Sunderland result and woke up just in time to hear David Dimbleby announce it was mathematically impossible for Remain to catch up.
    SJ - Scotland sounds like a good alternative! Are you not tempted by the Pyrenees?! Well done.
    14 mile MLR d&d to complete a 61 mile week.

• Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭

Slokey - careful on that bike,  "control" is an illusion at warp 9 and roadrash could be a reality check ! image

Gul- nice 14 in a good week, might take a rest day tomorrow as my ankle is starting to moan a bit image

Parkrun this morn 20:21 and 6th place was all I could muster image

• Stunning stuff SJ - sounds like a brilliant ride.

Nice mileage Gul.

On the bike this morning for about 27 miles with elder Lorenzito - nice to get out there and planning on another ride tomorrow morning. Just about to head out to hear Mrs L's choir concert. image

• BadbarkBadbark ✭✭✭

Energia24 12 hour race a Victoria Park Belfast

I lined up at the start just before 12 pm,  just 2 weeks after a finishing a 100k in 9 hour 11. Not only was there a 12 hour race but also a 100k and the 24 Hour Irish Championships. Most Irelands top Ultra runners were in the 24 hr but the 12 hr had a 55 year old going for age group world records for 100k, 100 mile and 12 hrs.

I didn’t have a set goal but hoped I could run about 70-75 miles and had a chance for a minor podium place. Only two went further than 70 miles last year. It was a little warm and the sun was out so not ideal conditions, especially for someone worried about skin cancer! Although I covered myself in factor 50 before the off.

I ran the 100k at 8 minute mile pace for 60k then really struggled so took it down a notch to between 8:20 and 8:30. I decided to break the race mentally up into 2 marathons and a 20+ miler at roughly 8:30 then 9 and 9:30 pace. I knew from my recent 100k that this could disintegrated completely.

I got into a good rhythm early on chatting to a guy called Peter who had won the CausewayCoast 50k last year and I finished second. He was doing the 24 hr but we ran together chatting for first 15 odd miles. I was feeling great early on and completed the first marathon in 3:45 so exactly what I had hoped for. However, I started suffering from a bit of tummy trouble with all the food and drink swilling around my stomach.

I really haven’t gotten the nutrition side of things for long ultras sorted out yet. I tried to consume 100 cals every 20 minutes but I just don’t seem to be able to digest it well. By 30 miles I was in a lot of distress and had to stop in a portaloo. Just like the 100k a few weeks early I broke wind for about 15 seconds shaking the toilet! Phew, what a relief. However, within a mile my tummy was troubling me again. At 33 miles I had to stop again in a portaloo for a few minutes.

Thankfully the course was a 1 mile loop so the toilets were always close.  I continued on but my tummy was pretty much in constant discomfort. Due to this I was eating and drinking less and had reverted to sucking boiled mints for fuel. My kidneys were also sore and I thought there was some blood in my urine. It was already beetroot coloured due to the juice but seemed to be darker and closer to blood colour.image

I wasn’t even half way through the race and I started considering dropping out. My legs felt great and I was still comfortably running 9 m/m miles but was stopping every couple of laps for the toilet. Some time it was wind and others it was number 2’s.image

At 43 miles I had to walk for the first time then spend 5 minutes on the loo. That mile took almost 17 minutes. I decided that I would run a double marathon and then stop. I have a long term goal of running 100 marathons/ultras and this race was already counting as one as I had run marathon distance. Knowing I had less than 10 miles to run gave me a lift and I ran around 9 m/m pace for a while again.

I needed another toilet stop at 52 miles but my tummy had settled a bit. I reached the 53rd mile and stopped to talk to the organisers to tell them I was leaving. I had completed 2 marathons in 8:10 so had took 4:25 for the second. I asked about Jan the 55 year old World record guy as I hadn’t seen him for a while. Previously he was lapping me about every 3 or 4 laps!  I was told he broke the world record for 100k but stopped as he’d had enough.

I thought it would be great to tell people I beat a world record breaker in  a race so re-considered dropping out. I asked if they knew what place I was in. I was shocked to find I was second behind Jan but with 2 guys just behind on the same lap.

• BadbarkBadbark ✭✭✭

continued..

I thought it would be great to tell people I beat a world record breaker in  a race so re-considered dropping out. I asked if they knew what place I was in. I was shocked to find I was second behind Jan but with 2 guys just behind on the same lap. Oh, feck I thought I can’t stop now.image

I now had a spring in my step running the next mile in around 8:30. However, my spring didn’t last long and I got my worst cramps yet on mile 58. I nearly did a ‘Paula’, but just made it to the loo shooting a jet of unpleasantness from my rear! I couldn’t get up for 5 minutes and took over 14 minutes for that mile. I stopped for a few minutes to rest in the next mile before feeling a bit better and managed a few sub 9 minute miles.

I went 100k distance in about 9:50 so well down on my 100k two weeks previous. However the difference was probably the time I had already spent on the loo! I was now running longer than I had every run and had overtaken Jan who had stopped 2 hours 45 minutes earlier! I needed another loo break at 65 miles and then a long one again at 67 miles. By this stage I had stopped eating completely as it was just running through me. All I could do was sip a little water.

I got chatting to a women I know called Fiona and she was only a few laps behind me. Her longest every run to date was 31 miles and she said she was loving this experience. Unfortunately I was not! We split when I had my long toilet break at 67 miles.

At this stage I though I was in third place and was worried because she might catch me too. I pushed on and managed the next 5 miles all in around 9 m/m pace. I was finding the pace comfortable when feeling good. It was now 11:25 and the finishing line felt close. However , I cramped up again and needed another long toilet break finishing the 73rd mile in almost 13 minutes.

With just 20 minutes to go I realised I could break 75 miles if my tummy held together and I ran 9 m/m. I didn’t know what place I was in but pushed as hard as I could. I had missed a podium by 1 minute in the 100k and was determined to give it my all this time. I finished mile 74 in 8:45 and my final full mile in 8:29 which was my fastest since mile 35. 

I knew my Garmin was a bit long so kept running hard to make sure I broke 75 miles. With about 1 minute to go I spotted a group ahead and recognised one of the guys as being close to me earlier on. I didn’t know what lap he was on but I managed a sprint finish to the klaxon just in case we were neck and neck. I finished about 10 metres past him and was so relieved when the klaxon sounded. My Garmin measured 75:56 miles but think it was really about 75.3.

We had are numbers on a little plastic stick that we had to push into the ground. Unfortunately I was at the further point possible point from the start and finish area so started trudging back. I was nearly back going against the flow when I was told I had to wait at the stick until it got measured. Doh! Off I staggered back again to wait and get measured. By the time I got measured and back to the start I had walked an additional 1.5 miles.image

Anyway, none of this is important, what really matters was how I had done. I asked the organisers and was blown away when they told me I had won by a mile! The guy I sprinted past at the end was in 2nd but a lap behind. I’ve to go today at 1 pm for the prize giving and then I’m treating my family to a boozy lunch! Party time.image

Apologies for typos or poor grammar in this report as I was so hyped I didn’t sleep a wink last night!

• SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭
    Winner winner chicken dinner! image

Brill stuff BB - now THAT is a punishing race. fantastic achievement and I hope the prize is suitably epic. Maybe a gold plated toilet seat?
  • BadbarkBadbark ✭✭✭

Thanks SJ! That prize sounds perfect.image I checked my stats I was stopped for a total of 56 minutes during the 12 hours. I'd say about 3/4 of this was on the loo!

Other stats -

Average pace - 9:30, average moving pace 8:50

Average cadence 180

Average HR 120

• BirchBirch ✭✭✭

It's all been said before, Badbark , but - image imageimage imageimageimage   

• Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭

Badbark -setting new standards for craziness image These ultra runs are all about suffering (and portaloo's) sounds absolutely brutal image and well done on the win ,especially liked the part about you were telling them you were stopping now but changed your mind as you wanted to win when you heard the other guy had already stopped image

• Good run there badbark. I was following a friend, Sam Amend who won the ladies 100km and noticed you were doing well. I guess doing well is an understatement for a win!

• Fish52Fish52 ✭✭✭

Great biking Slokey. I really enjoyed reading your reports. A great route, with a well deserved swim in the Med and beers to follow. What a great trip you've had and some decent training too.

12 hours to glory indeed BB. A brilliant win over many, many miles.

So after over 18 months of recovery, rehab and rebuilding, I've decided that I've had enough of lots of slow running. I've had no pain in my hip for over 2 months. So, nervously, I ventured to the track this morning for a satisfying session of 400, 600, 800, 800, 600, 400. Felt great and all ok.

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

I really don't know what to say BB, amusing, entertaining and incredible run. But how is your poor arse?

I had a super week in Cornwall and we came back via Greenwich to drop of my eldest and stop over the night. We discovered the Greenwich park 10k was on this morning, so myself and 2 daughters ran it. It was a nice run, 3 laps of the hilly park. Very amateur race, more like a parkrun really with 300 runners. Anyway it turned out well- I was 3rd overall, junior 3 seconds back and 1st lady by a country mile, and my other daughter got a PB.  Times were shocking (just over 40 mins for me). I blame the Cornish pasties, the hills and the long course which we all measured as 6.4 miles. Very nice end to the holiday though.     

• SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭
    Very tempted by the Pyrenees Gul - beautiful place but a heck of a commute.

Careful with that ankle Leslie.

Been on the good old "pick up offspring and all their stuff from uni" trip today. Tiring drive.

Managed to put 2lb on last week. Surprised with the effort level but body fat had dropped from 8.9% to 7.3% so I suspect I have buffed up a bit. Thighs of steel! Last big week of training coming up so need to squeeze sessions in alongside catching up with work and reinvesting in family brownie points. Looking forward to taper time.
  • SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭
    Xpost - great family racing OO. Lovely stuff and pastry powered!
  • PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭

Been v busy and log back on to find the first word I see is "walnut".  Then a lot of detail about toilet-type stuff. Thanks for that.  The usual brilliant madness from BB, ditto SJ. 

43m this week, biggest for a while, yes OO I'll see you at the start of the Coastal Race next month, my Luxembourg pal is over so we're going for a modest course PB for him, about 1.50.  You will be considerably faster that that.