Are you and "in" or an "out"?

Comments

• DustinDustin ✭✭✭

UK stock futures indicate the FTSE will be off about 500 points at the open
    On the plus side, we could be getting a rate cut: euro and usd rates all off by 0.25% (or more)

• Dustin - at least 500 points I would have thought. Wouldn't be surprised to see quite a few trading halts today as we tailspin towards a 4 figure drop.
  • runner-manrunner-man ✭✭✭

Well the public have decided and that is democracy. It demonstrates how divided the United Kingdom really is. Whatever way the result needs to be respected. Even my home city, Chelmsford decided to leave which I thought would have remain.

Cameron won't need to resign yet. If he does that means a leadership contest which will take two months. No one in the tory party even Boris Johnson will challenge. It calls to question whether he called this referendum too early to ensure his reputation and George Osborne.

Lets all remain calm is see what happens. This country has been through darker moments and pulled through.

• I'm not sure I can remember a darker time though.
  • Tom13Tom13 ✭✭✭

Very surprised and quite saddened to hear this news.....

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

We've taken back control.

Feels good doesn't it?

• HA77HA77 ✭✭✭

Spot on Westy, that feeling of control is great.

• VDOT52VDOT52 ✭✭✭
    Little Britain gets it's wish but it will regret it even before the official leaving occurs in 2018/19. The Torys will set about taking away every right that Europe has given to workers and hand all powers to big business. Oh and the only ones in control are the really nasty Tory elite of Messrs gove, Johnson and Duncan-smith. Good Luck people.
  • cougie wrote (see)
    I'm not sure I can remember a darker time though.

No, it kind of feels like the worst think that has ever happened.

The Northern Ireland thing - how many of us even considered that? That's could be their five minutes of relative peace (that was worked so hard for) up the Swanee...

• asitisasitis ✭✭✭

Yes. Brilliant. Fantastic. What a day.

imageimageimage

• Is that UKIP obsolete now?

• MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭

As Screamie said, the turkeys have voted for Christmas. Oh well. We can look forward now to years of political warfare as the PM and H of C try not to do what the public have told them to.

Farage crowed that not a bullet had been fired. (Apart from the one that hit Jo Cox, of course.) Such is the calibre of the people taking over.

• VDOT52VDOT52 ✭✭✭
    UKIP was redundant whatever the outcome. But they'll change their name to something like 'rights for whites' and continue to spread hate as it seems to be what 52% of the U.K. Want.
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭

/members/images/493151/Gallery/blitz.jpg

The good old days .

🙂

• VDOT52VDOT52 ✭✭✭
    Indeed muttley. The thing is that a mock revolt against the establishment, being instigated by the establishment can only be for the benefit of the establishment. Appealing to the base tribal instincts of the majority of voters seems to be how to seal it.
  • MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭

Seems to have been the formerly staunch Labour areas that swung the vote. This we must blame on Tony Blair. He ignored the advice to limit the numbers arriving when eastern Europe joined the EU. But at least his government spent on public services. Cameron accuses him of overspending, wins the election and has Osborne cause a recession immediately by ... slashing those public services.

You reap what you sow, Dave. The so-called "one nation" PM of the Conservative and Unionist party ... you might have lit the fuse under the UK as well.

The public have had their say so Little Engerlund, here we come.

• MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭

Seems Dave has just quit. I fear the alternative will be worse.

• I think a lot of people share the blame.

Cameron for promising us this.

Farage and Johnson and co for printing appealing lies on their bus and pamphlets that they're ALREADY backpedalling on (some record there Shurely ?)

Idiots who don't understand the implications - but 'taking back our borders' and 'Sovereignty' sound great don't they ?

I didn't think of the Sinn Fein implications though - but they'd always look for an excuse to get back to their 'hobbies'
  • asitis wrote (see)

Yes. Brilliant. Fantastic. What a day.

imageimageimage

I mean this genuinely - in the weeks and months to come please let us have regular updates on how your life has changed for the better under Brexit.  

• MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭

Haven't seen or heard much of Theresa May during the campaign ... My tip for next Tory leader image

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

She'll probably stand, against Johnson and Gove.

I think Johnson will be next leader.

• To be fair Muttley - a balloon on a stick would have been a better choice than Cameron.
  • Holy fuck!

Honestly... I can't remember a worse day either!

I, for one, will be very sad to see the Scots leave us as well (and the Welsh, and the Irish?). The "New IRA" on the rise? Slide on back to 1976...!

Let's see how all these xenophobic Little Englanders feel when the weak (understatement) pound means all their prepackaged junk food costs five times as much, the cost of fags sky rockets, and petrol prices escalate to unheard of highs. As has been mentioned in the previous pages of discussions, in fact, the comfortably off before "exit" will be less badly hit financially than the poorest members of society... but none of that was factored in - it was all about those mean, scary FOREIGNERS!!!

Well, I'm off work today (planned long before all this nonsense) so I'm off back to bed... maybe when I wake up again it all will have been a nightmare... but I won't hold my breath!

P.S. sorry for all the exclamation marks (!!!!!) and, yes - I know I sound as irrational and bigoted as the exit campaign, but I'm upset (another understatement!)

• This may be controversial...

With Leave winning what we see is a continued attack by the old on the young.

My parents generation (baby boomers) grew up with better benefits, cheaper and more secure housing, free university education ,jobs for life and good pensions.

They now have retired, with the middle classes sitting pretty in big houses that were a lot cheaper to buy and have risen massively in value. While most young struggle to buy or pay high rents with very little rights.

The bedroom tax does not apply to pensioners, only to those of working age.

University education now costs ??9000 a year, previous generations got it for free.

All pensioners get free bus travel, free tv licences and winter fuel payment - even those who aren't poor.

While wages and benefits get squeezed, the state pension is protected.

Most young people voted Remain - they can see the benefits of working together with other nations and breaking down boundaries between people.

Sorry if I have offended anyone with my ageist generalizations, but I worry about my children's future being trashed by my parents.
  • VDOT52VDOT52 ✭✭✭
    Cougie, your comment about the hobbies of those in Northern Ireland is as little England as anything that Farage has said but don't let historical facts get in the way of a thinly veiled discriminatory remark.

I for one don't think this is going to end well for anyone. Scotland will go independent, Northern Ireland may do the same but the republic certainly won't want to unify with them as there is too much baggage to deal with that England should be paying for creating. Wales may go too. Englerlish folk get what they want.

Sure everyone will survive but it is going to be messy for a long long time.

What happens if Europe goes pop? Our biggest trading partners having no money to buy from us sound fabulous.

Labour will flourish once Brexit happens though as they will be needed again because Europe is not going to be keeping the tories from undermining human rights of the poorest in society. That is why they did as little as possible while pretending to help.

The real revolution is 10 years away.
  • No Mr W, it is a fair point and it is borne out by the voter demographics. 75% of those under 24 voted to remain.

Blame people like my 84 year old mother who lives quite comfortably in rural Cambridge and voted to leave because she's a Xenophobe with no understanding of the issues - issues that don't effect her one bloody way or the other.

• I agree with VDOT that this could be good (long term) news for Labour but what kind of Labour? The PLP is looky flaky, weak and indecisive at the moment.

Pity one of its rising stars is lying in the mortuary.

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

None of us know what's going to happen at this point.

I'm feeling a bit pessimistic at the moment though.

Mr Worry...

HOW AGES VOTED (YouGov poll)
    18-24: 75% Remain 
    25-49: 56% Remain 
    50-64: 44% Remain 
    65+: 39% Remain

• JT141JT141 ✭✭✭
    The labour heartland has just ushered in the most right wing government in living memory. How did that happen?
  • 15West15West ✭✭✭