Are you and "in" or an "out"?

Comments

• plazzyplazzy ✭✭✭
    My country, Liverpool, voted remain. We need to negotiate our exit from this collection of insellafe.

England, you knock me sick.
  • VDOT52VDOT52 ✭✭✭
    Cougie, nice to see your normal rational self return.

The scary thing in all of this is that lots of first generation British people have voted to pull up the draw bridge on their own kind because they think it will save them.. Humanity is much more animal in instinct than I cared to think.
  • Screamapillar wrote (see)

If we had voted narrowly to say I think that would have been a wake-up call.

Now any reforms they do make on the back of this won't be benefitting us.

Hello foot, meet bullet...

Screamapillar wrote (see)

Skinny - well it might, it might not. It doesn't matter now. We could have had another referendum in the future if it hadn't reformed but there's no way back from this unless the scales fall from the Brexiter's eyes so rapidly before October that article 50 never gets invoked. 

Won't hold my breath though...

Yes this is another reason why the referendum was just a really stupid idea. 

Most people would have voted differently if they could have changed something about all the various EU legislation we are subject to (for a lot of people that would have been an immigration cap and I will use this as the example below).

Once the Vote is done nobody can assess why people have voted that way and go back to the EU and negotiate that specific change and then go back to the people for a new vote saying - right that is sorted now.

So much simpler for the Government to say ' Our policy is that we are going to leave the EU unless we can put a cap on our immigration' - then the EU decide and then we act on that decision.

Instead DavCam went to negotiate with the 'threat' that unless you do what I want then I'm going to ask our population what they want and so EU ignored him and now we've voted and now it's too late.

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

Wish I was out of mind on drugs at Glastonbury right now.

• Boris: "We cannot turn our backs on Europe".

We just did. And now, apparently, they want us out asap. Less instability for them.

• See Scotland is itching for another vote on independence.

The Free State of Brighton voted 69% remain, I want independence from England!

Don't understand why the Welsh voted to Leave, they get lots of cash from the EU.
  • ZouseZouse ✭✭✭

I don't understand why anybody voted to leave.

Oh yes. They were lied to.

• JT141JT141 ✭✭✭
    Nicola Sturgeon seems to be suggesting a referendum on Scottish independence would go ahead with or without the permission of the U.K. government. It sounds very much like Scotland will dissolve the union before the withdrawal from EU is finalised. Passports out when entering Berwick.
  • And so it should JT. 

I don't like nationalism but we've all pretty much had it imposed on us overnight anyway so, if Scotland wants to dissolve the Union and stay in the EU they should. Shit, I might even move there myself when I retire.

It might be nice if the Queen had to give up Balmoral image

• A motion of no confidence in Jeremy Corbyn has been tabled...

• MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭

On this issue at least, I was with Corbyn - not a great fan of the EU but the alternative is far worse.

Spare a thought now for the Brexiters. They've been told lots of money will be spent on the NHS, foreigners will stop nicking their jobs and benefits and houses, stuff will be cheaper as everyone else decides to trade freely with us without tariffs ...

• JT141JT141 ✭✭✭
    I lived and worked in Edinburgh for a while. Wonder if I can claim asylum status over there?
  • I think only 48% of us have had it imposed on us and only 62% of Scots.

17 million people voted to Leave including 1 million Scots with 1.6 million Scots voting to Remain.

So in Scotland about 60:40 for Remain.

In Scottish Independence Ref about 55:45 Stay in Union.

Perhaps 55 - 60% of Scots are just loyal to the status quo?

I do not really understand why Nicola Sturgeon is so keen to leave the UK but also so keen to Remain in Europe.

• booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

Welllllllll.... Apparently we are all out image

Oh well. 

• Only? 48 and 62 are quite big percentages! 

• Skinny Fetish Fan wrote (see)

I think only 48% of us have had it imposed on us and only 62% of Scots.

17 million people voted to Leave including 1 million Scots with 1.6 million Scots voting to Remain.

So in Scotland about 60:40 for Remain.

In Scottish Independence Ref about 55:45 Stay in Union.

Perhaps 55 - 60% of Scots are just loyal to the status quo?

I do not really understand why Nicola Sturgeon is so keen to leave the UK but also so keen to Remain in Europe.

Probably in the same way countries like Slovenia and Croatia fought for their independence, but wanted to join the EU. The EU does NOT compromise a country's independence.

• JT141 wrote (see)
    Nicola Sturgeon seems to be suggesting a referendum on Scottish independence would go ahead with or without the permission of the U.K. government. It sounds very much like Scotland will dissolve the union before the withdrawal from EU is finalised. Passports out when entering Berwick.

Berwick's in England!

• 15West wrote (see)

Wish I was out of mind on drugs at Glastonbury right now.

Maybe you are. Maybe this is an illusion.

• plazzy wrote (see)
    My country, Liverpool, voted remain. We need to negotiate our exit from this collection of insellafe.

England, you knock me sick.

Much maligned London also voted massively to remain. I'm for UDI.

• cougie wrote (see)
    Maybe I did go too far VDot.

Where was Corbyn in all of this ? He was invisible.

Corbyn actually spent a lot of time going up and down the country campaigning. The press didn't report it - the right-wing press because he's the Labour leader; the Guardian and the Mirror because he's not, to them, the right Labour leader.

• JT141JT141 ✭✭✭
    I can't quite believe what John Redwood has said. Staunch Leave, now talking about a renegotiation with EU without ever finalising the exit. Full access, no immigration, no responsibility. A set of demands that would never conceivably be met, never ending market uncertainty, and a complete disregard of democratic result. Fucking stratospheric arrogance.
  • cougie wrote (see)
    Maybe I did go too far VDot.

Where was Corbyn in all of this ? He was invisible.

JT141 wrote (see)
    I can't quite believe what John Redwood has said. Staunch Leave, now talking about a renegotiation with EU without ever finalising the exit. Full access, no immigration, no responsibility. A set of demands that would never conceivably be met, never ending market uncertainty, and a complete disregard of democratic result. Fucking stratospheric arrogance.

They're already rowing back on the money going to the NHS. Liars.

• The POV of EU nationals living and working in London is sobering.

Sadiq Khan's Facebook page has a lot of comments about how they no longer feel welcome here. They appreciate his support for them but say they are considering leaving.

• JT141JT141 ✭✭✭
    Peter I know Berwick's in England, just about. I like to have my passport ready well in advance. Although it has bounced back and forth a lot. It might be another contentious issue because the town might well want to align itself with Scotland. It's all a catering size can of worms been opened.
  • JT141JT141 ✭✭✭
    Come to think of it there's some anachronistic thing about Berwick being still officially at war with Russia. We can't afford that. Scotland can have them.
  • DachsDachs ✭✭✭

The POV of EU nationals living and working in London is sobering.

Sadiq Khan's Facebook page has a lot of comments about how they no longer feel welcome here. They appreciate his support for them but say they are considering leaving.

This is exactly how my wife feels - originally German, she has been here 15 years and has British citizenship but sees this as a comment on the presence of her and others like her.  It is also how my French sister-in-law, and my French friend feel, both of whom have been here for more than ten years.  Hopefully this is just the immediate disappointment talking, and the whole atmosphere will settle down such that they feel they can stay, but it's all pretty raw today.

• You really couldn't make this up:

"For Jim Plows, in Clacton, Essex, the news of Brexit this morning triggered “panic stations”.

Despite voting to leave Europe, the 77-year-old said he was surprised by the news. His wife, Pam, said her first thoughts as the results came in was: “Oh dear.”

The retired couple from Jaywick, in Essex, were among several visitors to Clacton pier to say they were concerned about the process for Britain leaving the EU.

“The next year will be a worry,” said Jim Plows."

WHAT DID YOU THINK WOULD HAPPEN YOU UTTER FECKWITS??!!!

• Are you SURE you haven't just made that up Screamy ? People can't be that dim can they ?

(and even more to admit it ?)
  • 'When I put the gun to my head and pulled the trigger, I was surprised to find the gun going off and a bullet going into my brain...'

• Dachs wrote (see)

The POV of EU nationals living and working in London is sobering.

This is exactly how my wife feels - originally German, she has been here 15 years and has British citizenship but sees this as a comment on the presence of her and others like her.  It is also how my French sister-in-law, and my French friend feel, both of whom have been here for more than ten years.  Hopefully this is just the immediate disappointment talking, and the whole atmosphere will settle down such that they feel they can stay, but it's all pretty raw today.

Don't forget that London is progressive and voted overwhelmingly for remain. They're among friends here. Can't speak for the rest of England and Wales. I think this all puts to the lie the idea that all our problems stem from London.