Are you and "in" or an "out"?

Comments

• JT141 wrote (see)
    Peter I know Berwick's in England, just about. I like to have my passport ready well in advance. Although it has bounced back and forth a lot. It might be another contentious issue because the town might well want to align itself with Scotland. It's all a catering size can of worms been opened.

Having been there, it feels like a Scottish town and the local accent is Scottish. I wonder how they voted? (And, yes, the football team plays in the Scottish league).

• XX1XX1 ✭✭✭
    cougie wrote (see)

They promised 350m a week for the NHS.

I don't recall this...  But if you can provide an external link to an exact quote I'd be interested to take a look at it.  Either way, I think we all understand that it'll be the government of the day that decide how the money is spent.

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭
    Peter Collins wrote (see)
    Dachs wrote (see)
    Screamapillar wrote (see)

The POV of EU nationals living and working in London is sobering.

Sadiq Khan's Facebook page has a lot of comments about how they no longer feel welcome here. They appreciate his support for them but say they are considering leaving.

This is exactly how my wife feels - originally German, she has been here 15 years and has British citizenship but sees this as a comment on the presence of her and others like her.  It is also how my French sister-in-law, and my French friend feel, both of whom have been here for more than ten years.  Hopefully this is just the immediate disappointment talking, and the whole atmosphere will settle down such that they feel they can stay, but it's all pretty raw today.

Don't forget that London is progressive and voted overwhelmingly for remain. They're among friends here. Can't speak for the rest of England and Wales. I think this all puts to the lie the idea that all our problems stem from London.

My wife and friend live in Berkshire.  My sister in law's in Bristol.  Mind you, both of those areas voted to remain too.

• booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

Well..... My French car is usually on the drive when I walk home for lunch... Today it was on the road, my cars already trying to start creeping back to France....

• XX1 wrote (see)
    cougie wrote (see)

I don't recall this...  But if you can provide an external link to an exact quote I'd be interested to take a look at it.  Either way, I think we all understand that it'll be the government of the day that decide how the money is spent.

It's deliberate dissembling by "Leave". Gisela Stuart and Nigel Farage. Both said they would like the money (and you have to believe first that it exists) to be spent on the NHS. It has been interpreted  (because that's what earns votes) as "we will spend the money on the NHS ."

As a campaign, and not a party, it is not up to them how to spend it and never was but now, of course, having won, they have to admit that. 

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Jim Plows does sound quite made up.  And Jaywick is the kind of place an imaginary moron might live.

• PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭
    XX1 wrote (see)
    cougie wrote (see)

I don't recall this...  

Are you kidding??

http://news.images.itv.com/image/file/977483/stream_img.jpg

(edit... wrong pic!)

• Dachs wrote (see)

Jim Plows does sound quite made up.  And Jaywick is the kind of place an imaginary moron might live.

It was on the BBC...

• PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

Quote: "Let's fund our NHS instead."

• I defer to Phil!

I forgot that the money (the amount of which was disputed) was actually linked to NHS funding on the bus itself!  image

• PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

You really couldn't make this up:

"For Jim Plows, in Clacton, Essex, the news of Brexit this morning triggered “panic stations”.

Despite voting to leave Europe, the 77-year-old said he was surprised by the news. His wife, Pam, said her first thoughts as the results came in was: “Oh dear.”

The retired couple from Jaywick, in Essex, were among several visitors to Clacton pier to say they were concerned about the process for Britain leaving the EU.

“The next year will be a worry,” said Jim Plows."

WHAT DID YOU THINK WOULD HAPPEN YOU UTTER FECKWITS??!!!

I can only assume that we're nearing the end of consciousness as we know it, approaching a wormhole where logic itself becomes slowly disentangled. In the parallel universe we're perilously overlapping, the biggest selling daily newspaper is the Daily Mash, which is clearly the source of this news snippet.

• The editors of the Sun, Telegraph, Express and Mail titles can reflect today that it was probably them ‘wot won it’ for the leave campaign.

This week they all declared for leave with prominent editorials. But throughout the campaign they have made their positions clear with front-page stories which have been chosen and written to benefit the leave side of the argument.

Together these titles reach around 28 million readers in print over the course of the month, according to the National Readership Survey.

With just over a one million votes separating the leave and remain sides their influence could well have been decisive.

So let me get this right - people were distrustful of the politicians but believed what the newspapers told them?

Phil  - I think you may be right! image

• XX1XX1 ✭✭✭
    PhilPub wrote (see)
    XX1 wrote (see)
    cougie wrote (see)

I don't recall this...  

Are you kidding??

http://news.images.itv.com/image/file/977483/stream_img.jpg

(edit... wrong pic!)

You interpret that as a "promise"? Lol

• You see that's the thing - some people will believe what politicians say and write.

That's kind of how they get elected.

Anyone with sense knew that :

1. The 350m was a complete lie

2. Debating what you will spend fictional money on is pointless.

Unfortunately just over 50% of the population clearly don't have sense.
  • According the the Beeb, Morgan Stanley is moving its staff out of London...

• JT141JT141 ✭✭✭
    I've got a baby on board sticker on my car. Haven't even got a baby. Not even my car.
  • PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

Of course I don't, I interpret this as a completely disingenuous and misleading insinuation, an insinuation which is strong enough to make many people believe that leaving the EU would directly benefit our NHS because of extra funds becoming available.  Indeed, the only promotional broadcast I recall seeing from the official Leave campaign on the TV was along a very similar theme; a "Sliding Doors" type comparison of an elderly woman's experience of visiting her GP, either in or out of the EU.  There was a clear message that leaving the EU would lead to the NHS improving dramatically.  Absolute BS; a good number of the prominent politicians campaigning for Leave want to tear it apart.

• MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭

According the the Beeb, Morgan Stanley is moving its staff out of London...

No bad thing in my book if they and the others like KPMG, Goldman Sachs etc feck orf.

• JT141JT141 ✭✭✭
    Saw a woman interviewed on the TV that voted Leave because she had a relative dependent on the NHS and thought she was doing the right thing to secure it's future. Seemed a little shaken by Farage's casual dismissal of this money being invested in the health service. I felt quite sorry for her. She'd been manipulated. But it's a game, a cheat, a bloodless coup in Westminster.
  • It's a stupidity epidemic! 

A guy called Adam from Manchester was interviewed on TV this morning. he voted to Leave thinking that his vote wouldn't count and is now worried about the outcome.

Holy shit, the future of the country has been decided by cockwombles  like this image

• VDOT52VDOT52 ✭✭✭
    Sadly actual brexit will be held back until after the next election and then all these stupid people will vote for the leave crew who will then have 5 years to wreak further havoc on the country. Still at least those who voted for this will lose the most. #feckingeejits
  • PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

It's a stupidity epidemic! 

A guy called Adam from Manchester was interviewed on TV this morning. he voted to Leave thinking that his vote wouldn't count and is now worried about the outcome.

Holy shit, the future of the country has been decided by cockwombles  like this image

I'll see your Adam and raise you a WHOLE FUCKING COUNTY.

• This is mind boggling, whose next, Wales? 

I. Have. No. Words...

• PhilPub wrote (see)

It's a stupidity epidemic! 

I'll see your Adam and raise you a WHOLE FUCKING COUNTY.

They certainly won't see a penny. I really hope this all works out well and we wonder what it was we were all worried about, but...... I think we're screwed.

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

I know of two people who voted leave (and I don't know many) and now regret it, one being my Dad. I despair.

• I don't consider people who have a different opinion to mine as being stupid.......the first two years will be difficult but I believe we'll be better off in the long run.

Switzerland, Iceland and Norway don't seem to be suffering too much. Optimism my dear friends. 

• Having a different opinion is not stupid but some of the examples  here go way beyond stupid - I'm not sure a word even exists for it.

• And if not stupid, gullible is certainly appropriate.

• 15West wrote (see)

I know of two people who voted leave (and I don't know many) and now regret it, one being my Dad. I despair.

How can they regret it the day after they did it?