Are you and "in" or an "out"?

Comments

• Ok, look XX1, only know why you you don't like what I am telling you.

The first place I saw this was on Sky at about 6 this morning where the three demographics were discussed as an entity. If I had known you were going to grill me about it this evening who knows, I might have taken a video but there you are.

Maybe you do'n't like it, I don't like it much either but disputing the type person who was more likely to vote to leave isn't going to make any difference.

As you say, time to move on.

• XX1XX1 ✭✭✭
    Screamapillar wrote (see)

Ok, look XX1, only know why you you don't like what I am telling you.

The first place I saw this was on Sky at about 6 this morning where the three demographics were discussed as an entity. If I had known you were going to grill me about it this evening who knows, I might have taken a video but there you are.

Maybe you do'n't like it, I don't like it much either but disputing the type person who was more likely to vote to leave isn't going to make any difference.

As you say, time to move on.

You suggest I don't like it...  Not the point...  Where's the link?  I'd be happy to go look at it image

• Can't find any of the stats on Sky at the moment, sorry. I guess you just had to be watching Sky News at 6am.

but since I was up at 3.30am, respectfully I am off to bed.

Btw, if you prefer split demographics, it still tells the same story. My mother ticks all three boxes in case you are interested.

goodnight.

• Still no decent reason for leaving. XxI do you have one ?
  • XX1XX1 ✭✭✭

Screamy -- No worries...  Not able to get Sky News personally... It's not so much that I'm doubting what you say you saw...  It's just that the votes that went in to each ballot box are (let's assume) indisputable...  But, if we aspire to deal in facts, I don't get where the rest of the breakdown comes from.

• VDOT52VDOT52 ✭✭✭
    Calm down people. It isn't like they let the lunatics take over the asylum or anything... Oh no wait..:
  • 15West15West ✭✭✭

Different strokes for different folks.

• XX1XX1 ✭✭✭
    cougie wrote (see)
    Still no decent reason for leaving. XxI do you have one ?

I guess it depends on how you define "decent".  People make decisions for a whole load of different reasons, reasons that make sense to them.  I don't feel the need to slag off anyone that has a different opinion to me, unlike some on this thread.

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

cougie - you've illustrated valid reasons for 'yourself' wanting to remain 'in'. And that is most likely the source of the fury of plenty of those who voted 'remain'.

The 'remains' voted that way as they believed they had valid reasons for doing so. The 'leave' result would really affect them.

So from that, it sticks in the throat to be tripped up by people who voted to leave when they knew the result wouldn't actually affect them at all either way.

🙂

• So basically you can't think of a single reason then XX1?

No need to be coy. We don't know who you are in real life.

I'd have thought you'd be keen to tell us how things will be better. Clearly there are a lot of people who could do with cheering up on here.
  • Not the most scientific of observations, but after reading the first few pages of this thread it seems people who like running are more likely to be in favour of being in the EU, despite there being a near 50/50 split in the overall population.

Anybody any ideas why this might be?

To answer the question, I voted in. Partly for personal reasons and partly because I don't think it's worth creating risk and uncertainty by leaving. I'm also a fan of free movement, it's a shame my future children might not have the same opportunities to live and study in any EU country like I did.

• So XX1 what are your good reasons for leaving the EU? (My reasons for wanting to stay are better social and environmental protections, stable economy and more options for my children to study, live and work where they want).
  • VDOT52VDOT52 ✭✭✭
    You should have did what Farage did and marry a foreigner. That way you get dual nationality for your kids and they can go wherever they like in Europe while you could claim to want to stop free movement of foreigners, excluding your spouse, obviously.
  • JT141JT141 ✭✭✭
    I was thinking the same thing runner5107. On other threads here there's a general sadness coming across at the result. Only checked a couple other internet forums in the last week and the leave point of view dominated. Pretty rabid in some cases.

Perhaps it's a lifestyle thing, the dedication to get out running and test yourself that requires or fosters a certain outlook? A certain rigour to people's character? Some run because it helps to reset and declutter your head. Could be coincidence.
  • JT141 - Interesting. Runners tend to be more optimistic than non-runners. It's been bugging me so I tried to dig out some info. Research in the US shows runners are highly educated. If we can assume British runners are also well educated it fits into the 'typical remain voter' being university educated.

I supposed there are many possibilities.
  • 15West15West ✭✭✭

runner5107 - more likely to be middle class? more likely to be educated? more likely to be under 60?

Think we've shot ourselves in the foot.

• Ah, but at least "we'll be in control" as our economy slides down the toilet.

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Has anyone's life fallen through the floor yet because of this vote?

Ok, I'm aware that anyone shifting money out of Sterling across the worlds ponds on Thursday night got buggered, but that's about it.

🙂

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

Of course not, but this isn't all about money. It's about perceptions. It's about the sort of country and world you want to live in.

• MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭

It's also about what the country will be like five or 10 years down the road. Smaller and poorer - both financially and spiritually - is my guess.

• JT141JT141 ✭✭✭
    It's going to play out across years, decades possibly. The ramifications will unfold as we go along. We've only just said we're leaving. We haven't started the divorce and settlement battles yet.
  • JT141JT141 ✭✭✭
    Speaking of ramifications, I bet "BoGo" for the Boris/Gove pact is going to become a ubiquitous term in the next few months. It's the new "Brexit". Great.
  • VDOT52VDOT52 ✭✭✭
    Bogov would be better
  • VDOT52 wrote (see)
    Bogov would be better

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    15West wrote (see)

Of course not, but this isn't all about money. It's about perceptions. It's about the sort of country and world you want to live in.

Well that's a nice wish, however, no one has control over these things.

No, it's all about money. It's the cornerstone of everyone's existence no matter how much they kid themselves it isn't.

🙂

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

Well...we're looking like we're going to be a bit fucked in that department too.

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

...and you think everyone voted leave because they thought they'd be better off financially? I don't think so.

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Not everyone Westy.

My wife voted 'leave' because she's from New Zealand.

When Britain entered the EEC all bilateral agreements between New Zealand and Britain had to be terminated. Preferential treatment of British imports into New Zealand ended in 1977.

This meant her country got shafted.

Others voted out, not because they thought they would be better off financially, but because by remaining they knew they wouldn't be. After all, they had only been waiting since 1974.

I did ok financially by some sort of accident of exchange rates. Only on paper mind. Meaningless numbers.

🙂

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

Made up for you Ric.