The Thousand Mile Club

Comments

• Greetings from the land where the pasties roam free!

Great news about Mr Zouse - I'm sure a bit of pampering is in order, but let's hope that Mr Muttley doesn't put too many "smart" ideas in his head! image Also a big +1 for the good folks of the NHS who have just decancerified mother of Little Nell - for which we are all truly thankful!

Additional agreement with the good lady Zouse in loving the name Harvir/Harvey. Not sure about doing youself out of miles though, Harminder - if speed sessions didn't count I'd be way down on my total. I say count the fast and the slow - but entirely up to you, of course.

Good to see you, Stylish and Andrew - hope you can both manage to beat the running "blockages"!

Muttley, you are so far ahead of the curve you've got plenty of room for a few cba days - you are excused PE for today.

Here in lumpy-land I've managed 4.24 steady miles yesterday, and 3.78 miles today that started out at tempo pace then petered out really badly... was intending to do 7 miles but was not feeling it at all and cut the whole thing short. Does not bode well for Swansea Half next weekend!

YTD: 518.54 miles.

• MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭

Good evening. My current training routine has served me fairly well, being three runs a week: one long and slow and two medium-length ones of steady and quicker. But I feel I'm in a bit of a rut so a change is needed.

Step forward Mr Jack Daniels, whose programmes are ridiculously complicated and full of code language but I've managed to decipher enough to concoct some more varied workouts than I have been doing until now. (I think that some coaches expend more effort devising the sessions than we expend actually doing them. But of course his target demographic is lean and serious affletic types, not shambling and wheezing biomechanical basket cases like yours truly.)

Anyhoo, a total of 5.03 miles done, comprising a smidge over 4 miles very easy and finishing with half a dozen times 30 seconds hard effort and jog back. That to perk up the legs at the end of a lazy slow easy run. Which it did image

612,72 ytd

Incidentally, I always count speedwork.Surprising how quickly it tots up - those half dozen strides I did today were almost a mile, before I knew it. And it's distance run so definitely counts in my book.

• MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭

Greetings from the land where the pasties roam free!

I am envious ... But I do have, safely stored in my freezer, a number of pasties from Philps of Hayle. None finer. Although Rowes, Warrens, Portreath Bakery, Hampsons, Barnecutts .... they're all okay as well image

If you find a tame one, do give it a scritch behind the ear for me please.

• 840.34 miles

Well done HS

Did a stately 13 miles today AND managed the impossible. Namely getting my mac to recognise my Garmin watch. So I live on Strava again.

• Thanks for your messages everyone - little Harvir/Harvey becoming a little more alert - and annoyed at his noisy sister Ashleen who wakes him up all the time.

I used to combine my speed sessions while I was racking up the miles earlier but am only 'excluding' them until the end of the month to make it easier for me to compare the fist six months with the second set starting on 1 July - I think that is is fair compromise.

• AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭

Well, the end of last week was a write off running wise for various reasons, so my last few weeks (working backwards) have seen mileages of 6, 0, 12, 15, 6, 5 and 5.5. Impressive stuff huh?!

Anyway, I have a plan to try and start doing some more vaguely sensible mileage from this week onwards. Fingers crossed that this will allow me to get past this hiatus and still hit 1000 for the year.

• PompeyMattPompeyMatt ✭✭✭

Well done to everyone on keeping running in the heat of late, I had the fortune of a nice rainy run yesterday and got absolutely soaked! 17 miles in three hours yesterday which went very well despite a very tough last couple of miles. More importantly today I had my first physio appointment and I've been diagnosed with a strained adductor muscle and have lots of stretches to start doing. In terms of running I have to go back to basics and get back to running 2-3 times a week at shorter distances of 5k and up, once I can do that it's a case of slowly building up my distances again.

I'm so glad to have a diagnosis, a plan and some hope once again!

• MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭

Excellent news Matt. We did tell you to go see a physio, didn't we? image

Although it's frustrating, starting over once in a while is no bad thing. When I've had to do it, I've come back as good as before and even feeling better for having let the body take a break. Stick with it!

For me today, a slow 10.23 miles in muggy conditions. Very pleasant, if very sweaty as well. Now for a light lunch and a nap.

622.95 ytd

• AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭

4 miles tonight, so 425 YTD

• MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭

A total of 5.56 miles done this morning, incorporating a warmup and cooldown and a bunch of 1-minute reps with 1 minute recovery.

Two obstacles to deal with. The first was sticky and muggy air, not helped by the overnight downpour and thunderstorm. I did sweat, in vast quantities. The second was the tarmac surface of the path down by the river. Coated in a thick layer of rain-diluted goose shit, it was as slick as an ice rink.

Damn creatures, they belong on the middle shelf at 200 degrees image

628.51 ytd

• AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭

3 miles last night, including a 2 minute stop in the middle to vote (and to avoid the rain!). 428 YTD. Was going to run this morning too, but the news was too distracting!

• Hobie 1495Hobie 1495 ✭✭✭

I've looked at this thread a few times & thought "nah, never" but just checked & I'm on 550 miles this year so I guess challenge is on.

• Hello, and welcome, Hobie 1495 - with that distance you are well head of the curve for 1000 miles this year!

With all the furore I completely forgot to log a swift 5.00 miles last night.

Managed the target pace for the full distance, but I'm severely under-trained for the Swansea Half on Sunday - I have the speed, and I have the endurance, but not the two together. I think I will just have to adjust my target and enjoy the run instead of going for another PB - despite the, apparently, pancake flat, PB-potential course.

YTD: 523.54 miles.

Thanks Nell, I'm off in a wee while to try to add 20 miles to the list. Good luck in Swansea, I know a few people doing it...forecast looks good.
  • Well - that was unexpected! Did Swansea Half (that wasn't unexpected - that was planned image). Went into the race feeling unprepared due to travelling every weekend for the past six weeks: national and international, flying and driving, so lots of sitting! Just ran round in what I thought was a fairly blase fashion and did a 4 min 18 sec PB (LOL): 13.11 miles in 1:50:08! Of course, I'm now totally gutted I didn't run 9 seconds faster *DOH*

Many thanks for the good wishes Hobie - that must have been the magic ingredient... might need to call on you for every race (Southport 10K next Sunday image)

The Swansea course was lovely - so flat and beautiful by the sea - highly recommended, especially for surprise PBs!

Also did a 3.10 mile leg stretcher yesterday afternoon.

YTD: 539.75 miles.

• MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭

Well done Nell ... that's a tasty time there. Funny how good times often come along unexpectedly, when they shouldn't. I envy anyone young enough to be still scoring pb's. Race pacing to target time could do with a bit of work though image

I was in Bracknell today for a nifty little 10K. Fairly flat course, turny and twisty along paths and trails, and I flagged a bit on the second lap, but happy enough with 49:30.

• Well done Nell and Muttley,

Better get them miles in, I will be starting afresh on 1 July - thinking of the Midnight Marathon on 2 July - after Parkrun in the morning to kickstart the second 1000 - actually that would be lying as I have already done two Parkruns since the first 1000 miles.

YTD = 6.22 miles

• Was Race Director for the SITC (Sikhs In The City) Relay Marathon today - to mark Her Majesty's Birthday, The Armed Forces Day and we will be giving £20 from the £25 Team Entry Fee to the local Mayor's charity - we lbelled our run as the Peace Marathon.

Teams of three running 21 laps of a 2.024m route between them - winning time was 2 hours 53 minutes and 54 seconds - the course record is 2:35:10 but wit five runners.

Our Dawn To Dusk races are on 18 December and you can book online (RW) with a choice of 10km, 22km, full marathon or Ultra - just in case you are behind your mileage.

• Good to see lots of people are ahead of target. 

As we approach the half way point I am on 487. Projected miles for the year: 999! Just need to find a mile somewhere. 

Well done at Swansea Nell (good luck for Southport) & everyone who was out over the weekend. I added 19 miles on Saturday in 2hr 45min which I'm really happy with. I've got Cardiff Half & Snowdonia Marathon booked for October so training & miles going well for this year...might have to sneak in a couple more races before then.

• StylishStylish ✭✭✭

A few more miles under my belt including parkrun on Saturday and 5M on sunday.

Just can't seem to get the longer stuff in.

YTD = 257.05

• MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭

10.79 miles done this morning. I would have gone further but for the shoes rubbing blisters. They're Hokas and while I like the softness of the ride and seem to run a bit faster in them, no matter how I lace them or what socks I wear they always cut holes in my feet. After 150 miles in them I've given up. They're now in the bin. Pity, because they weren't cheap.

645.52 ytd

Another quiet month for me but an improving one, four miles done yesterday at a gentle pace and hoping for another short run on Friday or Saturday.

June   36.05

2016   359.85

• MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭

Afternoon!

Tis the last day of the month so time to check progress towards the goals for this year, which are to run 1,000 miles, row 1m metres and keep the weight at 12 stones max.

Run: pro rata 500 miles actual 645.52 so pass, yay image
    Row: pro rata 500K metres actual 671,250 so pass, yay image
    Tonnage: 11 stone 13 lb so pass, yay image

I confess to weighing myself straight off the rowing machine this morning, having sweated a bucketload and had a pee and before the post-row cuppa and lunch ... but it still counts!

Ticking over nicely and thankfully injury-free.

• MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭

And 7.88 trotted out this morning, including 7.1 miles at a steady pace, in pleasant cool conditions with hr well within limits.

653.40 ytd

• AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭

A measly 3 this morning to report, so up to 431 YTD. Want to be at over 500 by end of July to give myself a hope of getting to 1000 by year end.

First chance to follow the advice of my physio and try shorter runs closer together rather than one long run every 7-10 days but on the basis of today I'm not convinced, nevertheless I'll keep with the plan until my next appointment in a week. 

5.8 miles today but it wasn't as comfortable as I'd have liked as it's only three days since my last run, I was only aiming for 4-5 miles but without my Garmin I was guessing the distance really which is why it ended up being nearer six miles.

July  5.8

2016   365.65

• MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭

Legs felt a little creaky this morning after yesterday's effort so I took them for a couple of laps round the park for 3.6 miles, nice and slow. They were well loosened up by the end so I rounded it off with half a dozen 30-second strides. Total 4.53 miles.

657.93 ytd

• Evenin' all! Happy half a year - good luck to everyone for the second half of the year.

Nice end of month report there Muttley - well done!

Running has been severely hampered by work this week so I've only manged a 4.04 miles leg shake out today - that's only run I've done since last Sunday and I've got Southport 10K tomorrow... on the last piece of evidence that's perfect preparation... hahaha image

YTD: 543.79 miles

• MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭

I like Southport, was there a couple of months ago for a conference.

I'm told it's on the coast but if the sea is there I didn't spot it.