Abingdon Marathon 2016

Comments

• (Sorry everyone else, that should maybe be on the P&D thread...)

• Tom13Tom13 ✭✭✭

Al- I am a big fan of the LT sessions so the 12m with 7@LT was tough but strangely enjoyable. Also I have found that the long runs and medium long runs have been key for me building the necessary endurance base. It is quite intense training but you can see the results/progress being made so I would recommend it. Also, as Millsy mentioned, the P&D thread is excellent for all sorts of reasons!image

• SW16SW16 ✭✭✭

As entries have now closed, I thought I'd offer two places for Abingdon- mine & wifes - available for official transfer.

Decided to do Tallinn in September instead, to get Boston Qualifying time.

Let me know if interested.

• GBRMGBRM ✭✭✭

Definately interested.

Please can you contact me on: johnacox1988@gmail.com

John

• Hi SW16, also very interested in the other one (if it is still going).

Please contact me on mylespreston@hotmail.co.uk

Thanks,

Myles

• Hi,

I have also missed the entry cut off. If anyone has an entry they no longer need I will be happy to take this off their hands?

Contactable at soley@sky.com]psoley@sky.com

Thanks

Pete

• SW16SW16 ✭✭✭

Just to mention that both entries I advertised last week have been taken

( very quickly ).

• morning 

Does any one want to have my place at this years race? if so email me at me@vexxed.co.uk  I

Thanks

Ciaran

• Ciaran,

Just sent an email. If available will take it.

Thanks

Pete
  • place taken already...

• I also have a place available if anyone wants it, message me.

• Hi Jason,I'd like your place . Contact me on jack@ciquery.com for transfer
  • GBRMGBRM ✭✭✭

I work out it's 18 weeks until Abingdon Marathon? I'm starting and following the P&D 55 - 70 MPW plan as usual. Love Day 1 - Rest!

Anyone else following P&D? https://www.amazon.co.uk/Advanced-Marathoning-Peter-Pfitzinger/dp/0736074600

• John - I'm also following P&D but I've decided to go for the up to 55M schedule as I've been a bit injury prone recently. Might throw in some extra miles if I start feeling more resilient. How did you get on with that first lactate run?

• GBRMGBRM ✭✭✭

Al, first lactate session went really well, did 2 miles WU and then did the session on a 400M running track! First time training on a track and it made all the difference. The track is in a bit of a bowl, so totally protected from the wind, the spongey-ness of the track is great on your knees and the lack of twists and turns you'd get running on the road allowed for better control of pace!

Speed work session number 2 was last night, there was a loacal 5K race where I managed a PB! Waiting for official result but watch clocked 17:37 - a 21 second PB! Very pleased after a week of marathon training!

Very much enjoying it so far!

Hows it going for you? Everyone else?

John

• I'm also doing Abingdon, but going to cut it to a 15 week training programme, I did P&D 18 55-70 for VLM and think it was just a bit too much (for me), I was in such good shape with about 6 weeks to go, but lethargic by race day, so I'm going to try and cut it back a wee bit. I'll maybe not stick to it just as religiously as I did for too. As long as I get a decent midweek and weekend long run in I'll be happy enough- maybe one speed session per week also. The rest I'll be aiming for nice and easy (something I failed to do for VLM).

• Cmc7 - I've had similar experience with P&D leaving me tired out, so I'm definitely approaching it with caution this time and aiming to listen to my body more. Like you say, I'm going to make sure I do the sessions with good quality and then totally relax on the recovery runs, and even the general aerobic runs.

John - congrats on the 5k PB! Always good for training confidence. There is a school running track near me but weirdly it's 300m so quite tight turns! You're a little faster than me (5k PB 18:10) - have you thought about a target time for Abingdon yet? I'll be hoping to beat my PB (3:09.42). If training's going really well then maybe I'll think about going sub 3:05 for a VLM good for age...

• NaderNader ✭✭✭

I'm on week 5 of my 18 week plan (I'm on holiday for two weeks in July/August so plan on just running when I can whilst away rather than strictly following the schedule).

Going well so far, brought my 5k time down by half a minute since April (still a couple of seconds off my PB but going in the right direction), and taken nearly 2 minutes off my 10k PB. I'm doing Hal Higdon's Intermediate 2 which goes up to 50 miles per week, aiming for sub 3:30.

• Sounds like there is some great training/racing going on already.

I also several weeks into my plan and everything seems to ticking over nicely. I completed an off road HM last weekend (along a disused railway - which worked out at 13.8 miles!), and finished 4th in 1.43.24,

I am aiming for sub 3:20 at Abo, which I have achieved twice before in previous years, however this was before I was diagnosed a Type 1 Diabetic in April 2015 (and now on insulin). This year will be my first time back since then, and only my second marathon since April 2015, having achieved 3:24 back in March.

• Tom13Tom13 ✭✭✭

Hope everyone is getting into the training cycle and its going well so far for you all.

I Started 15 week (jumping in late on 18 week plan due to foot injury) P&D 70-85 plan this week. I think 15 weeks is about right for me also as that's what I did for Manchester in the Spring and I peaked at about the right time. Got the first dreaded 15 mile midweek MLR done very early this morning. First 20 miler of the campaign on the horizon for Sunday. Bring it on!!image

• is it only 15 weeks away.....i cant start training for another month......but did manage a leisurely 5:27 at The great welsh marathon on Sunday ....without any ill effects... so hoping for good things in Autumn

• Nice.

I did 20 miles in 4 hours on Sunday there which was leisurely too. After I signed up for Abingdon, entries opened for Nottingham marathon and I couldn't resist because it starts just a wee bus ride from home. It's two weeks before Abingdon though so I'll have to be sensible with my training and how I approach Nottingham so that I'm recovered 2 weeks later. 

• Why can't you start training for another month seren?

I guess you'll need to decide which one is your priority LS.

By the way - why is this thread in general? Only just found it.

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • havent been able to train this year and I have the lakeland 50 in a few weeks to get through.....will then rest for a week or two before attempting some training

• Lakeland 50 could be interesting with no training seren!

• i have managed Ironman Lanza and the long course weekend so far this year without training... only got the lakeland to get done and then can restart the year again......

apart from abingdon i have not entered anymore races and will not do so unless I can start training again....hate all these races where you need to enter months and months in advance

• Tom13Tom13 ✭✭✭

LMH-I've noticed when lurking on the Sub 3 thread that you do a huge amount of miles each week which is extremely impressive. What sort of pace do you run when going long? Do you do much in the way of speedwork?

• I don't do any speedwork beyond the odd 'fast last mile' Tom and long runs usually come out at somewhere between 7.30 and 7.45 pace, I just run to feel, somedays what feels easy is faster than others image

Circumstances or ill health seren?