2016 Marathon Training Thread

Comments

• TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

MG get well soon

Gaz nice 6 miler and well done on the week's training

Sub17 big list but I think not downing a bottle of wine the night before would be the best advice!

Ollie nice 17 and well done on 65m for the week

Stuart good effort on that 16 miler

Cal nice report and well done on the result

HM thanks

yellow pb !!!! Nice going

NP I hope Buddy gets better soon. Well done on the silver at the 800m

---

Another lazy week - 33m - so that's the extra week on the plan wasted.  10.9m MLR this morning, bit hot and close here, so it was a bit of a struggle.

• OlliepopOlliepop ✭✭✭

Afternoon. image

Cal: Well done on getting below your original goal time, good work.  
    Yellow: Well done on your PB yesterday, good going.  Hope your shin sorts itself out soon.
    NP: Sounds like you had a nice, relaxing time away.  Hope Buddy is alright though.  Nice swimming and running, congrats on second place in the 800 metres.
    Teknik: Good going on the 10.9 mile run this morning, especially on a hot, humid day.

- - - - - - - - - -

Just 6 miles easy today, nice run by the river.

Have a good day. image

Have a good day. image
  • HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Well done guys.

-------

NP,

Hope buddy recovers quickly.

• Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭

NP, hope your Buddy recovers, poor bugger. Good job on the silver.

Teknik - 33 miles would be a lot for me - the only time I went above 20 miles was when I was marathon training! But it's all relative isn't it?

Did a big fat nothing yesterday. 4 miles easy today. Nice blue skies so just chilled and enjoyed it.

• Morning just a quick post its going to take forever to catch up , my half way through the year resolution is post/ read this  thread everyday , hoping  it will keep me focused on my Abingdon marathon training .

Modyfying P&D up to 75 miles a week to a more  do able weekly milage should be able to hit low 60s .... and anyone on Stava you may not see all the runs I mention on here ! why ? well I dont mind sharing stuff here with you but I dont want certain people thinking I am overdoing it and waiting for me to fail ... ( long story ) 

Yesterday was 16 miles  some MP mles in tne middle so I did 6 easy (8.30-8.45 pace ) 6@ 8mm pace and 4 @ 8.30 ... average pace for whole run was 8.21 pace , 16 miles in 2.13 ..... 

just a swim today 

• yellow52yellow52 ✭✭✭

NN - I think I understand the Strava thing - some people get weird about this stuff. Another Abingdon enry - Injury permitting I'll be there, and I think Ollie's there as well IIRC. I'm going to follow P&D up to 55 as much as I can. I'll be happy with sub-4.

Cal - enjoy the blue skies while they last!

Ollie - nice easy run. Am I right you're signed up for Abingdon? 

HM4 - thanks

Tek - I know what you mean about the hot/close weather, makes everything a bit harder.

This week I should be on week 2 of P&D 18wk "up to 55" plan. Given shin niggles I'll defer that and see what the physio says on Friday.image

• Sounds like I'm doing the wrong autumn mara with everyone at Abingdonimage

yellow - Hope the shin niggles aren't too bad

NN - Unfortunately my watch loads training straight to strava, so I can't pretend I was resting instead of doing some runningimage That was a good 16 you put togetherimage

Cal - Well done on the 4image

Ollie - Nice 6 miles

Tek - Ha, at least the extra week I built into my plan has survived more than 1 week!image

--------

7 miles with 2 x (6 minutes out/whatever back) with the club. Paced that badly... Oh wellimage

• OlliepopOlliepop ✭✭✭

Evening. image

HM4: Thank you.
    Cal: Nice nothing yesterday, hope you enjoyed the rest.  Good job on the 4 miles today.
    NN: Sounds like a good long run yesterday, nice pacing throughout; hope you enjoyed the swim today.  I assume ~1:28.45 is your upcoming target then?
    Yellow: Always better to rest than it is to encourage an injury.  You are correct, I'll be at Abingdon, hope you manage to make it too.
    SM6: Aha, in a way you'll keep us on the forum by not being in Abingdon, otherwise we could just spread our thread posts the old fashioned way via conversation. image  Nice going on the 7 miles and the out and backs, despite the pacing kerfuffle.

- - - - - - - - - -

Was going to be a simple case of 8 miles general aerobic with 10 x 100 metre strides but I had a bit of a breathing kerfuffle after the strides so did a slow jog for a couple of miles to get my breath back.  
    Managed to get the pace back up to standard on the final mile so I was happy with that; not sure what caused the breathing difficulties though, usually only happens in winter months...

Have a good day. image

Have a good day. image
  • TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

Ollie nice easy 6m, and well done on getting through the 8m today - hayfever?image

HM thanksimage

Cal sounds like a nice 4m todayimage

NN ignore the nay-sayers; good going on that 16m with some MPimage

yellow sensible idea, hope the shins ease up quicklyimage

Stuart nice club session, hate to think how fast you ran the hard bits! image

---

Club sesh for me too - short jog warm up from the Tube, 4 x (600m @ 10k, 600m at 5k) off 90" rest.  Started in the pouring ran, glad it eased off. image

• Yellow it will be good to share our training ! I did sort of follow up to 75 last year for VLM last year , but stupidly on the adviced of others I added lots of speed work  , which doesnt  mix well with high mileage , I ended up with PF I did PB at VLM but suffered for months after , so this  time im sticking to the plan . Sorry to see you have niggles , but its early days plenty of time to get sorted 

SC you can hide training , go into edit and 'lock' a session only you can see it , it shows on your own feed but not others , there are lots of peoole who pooh pooh my high slowish mileage marathon schedule but it works for me , well done  on the club run , its all to easy to go off too fast ! a run is a run though 

Ollie pity about your breathung probs hay fever ? hunid ? my target is sub 3.35 for Abingdon it was in the bag last year untill the last 600 m of VLM where I hit the wall 

Tek nice club session 

I did 64 x 25m in 36 mins swim yesterday

Medium long run today which  I will split as I love where I live by the sea and just have to run along the sea front everyday ! Just done  an easy 3 , tonight  its a club run to make up 10/11 for the day 

• Back again , change of plan cant be bothered to wait till tonight and drive 25 mile round trip to club , so run number 2 donev , 8 hilly windy cliff top miles in 1.05 , so 11.5 for the day ..... ( only 8 on strava )  ssssshhhh image

• NN - I think a lot of people forget that their is no right or wrong way to train. Different things work for different people. Of the guys I train with, I think there is 5 of us roughly within a minute for our HM time this year. Our mileage so far this year ranges from 1600 down to barely 400...

Well done on the 2 runs today, and yesterdays swimimage

Tek - Sounds like a tough cub session yesterday, good workimage

Ollie - I seem to have had a bit of breathing difficulties the last week or so too, must be the humidity for me. Well done on getting the 8 miles doneimage

----------

Lumpy 12 @ 8:30s done, right knee a bit sore so I'll have to watch it.

• TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

NN nice long swim yesterday, and nice double...oops single... run todayimage

Stuart well done on the hilly 12, nice paceimage.  Ice the knee...

---

Another Serpentine club session tonight, 8.5m with 7m at MP.  Actually found two guys who wanted to keep even splits, so very happy with the run.  HR still above where it should be for "MP". but I think it's just down to my lack of miles and lack of long runs in particular.  image

• Sm6 nice MLR , I looked at your weekly miles , quite high ! I know I shouldnt worry about what others think , but the last thing i want is someone saying I told you so ! if i get injured on high miles ( which I dont think I will ) it was too much speed work that caused problems leading up to london last year , I want to do really well in Abingdon , its my main focus this summer , I am racing less this summer than I normally would as well

Tek I am a bit behind the times ! Serpentine ? have you joined them ? sounds like you had a good session
  • OlliepopOlliepop ✭✭✭

Evening all. image

Teknik: Nice club session yesterday, especially starting off in the rain.  Nice club session again today too.
    NN: Best of luck hitting your target in Abingdon, and good going on the 11.5 miles today.
    SM6: Good job on the lumpy 12 miles at 8:30 pace, hope the knee is alright.

- - - - - - - - - -

I took my inhalers today, a hayfever tablet, and didn't run in the rain.  Breathing was fine today so that's good.

Today was 13.2 miles including the Offerton 10km.

Finished the 10km in 38:54.48 in fifth place overall.
    Set off way too fast though (first kilometre in ~3:00), I think I'd have still finished fifth regardless of that first kilometre, but I reckon I could have cut my time down a bit had I set off sensibly (3:40s).

Started with two laps of the running track, and then out into the park for what is basically an extended Wodbank parkrun.  Except with the added luxury of doing three laps round the parks and going even further down the steep, horrible hill and therefore having to run even further up the steep, horrible hill.  I plan on petitioning for an escalator to be installed.

Aside from the race, did 5 miles in the morning, 2 miles as warm up, and 2 miles as cool down.

Have a good day. image

Have a good day. image
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭

I just can't wrap my head around the way folks incorporate races into longer runs. How does that even work? image

Anyway, glad your breathing is OK, Ollie.

Teknik - are you in Serpentine? Perhaps you know the older lady I was running behind for a time on Sunday. I think her name might be Sue.

NN - good luck with Abingdon. And everyone else doing Abingdon, actually. I can't imagine that it's the prettiest marathon to do. I lived in Oxfordshire from end of 1989 to 1992 and spent the first month in an Abingdon guest house. Probably the worst three years of my life.

Stuart - right knees are buggers, eh?

----

Relaxed day yesterday (just yoga) so out for a 6.5 mile run today. It was pissing down when I woke up but had stopped by the time I had my coffee and mucked about on the PC. Relatively easy pace but got quicker as it went on: 10:43, 10:27, 10:14, 10:14, 10:09, 10:09 and 9:55 for the final half mile. Right hamstring is still knotty after Sunday but my legs didn't feel bad, all things considered. Knee behaved itself.

• Ollie , thats a very impressive  10k time and placing ! starting off on a running track is going to make you go off too fast   I would think ! very flat and I bet everyone did the same , superb daily mileage overall 

Cal I was thinking tne same ! I guess you just have to exoect to race slower than if you had tapered  ! although  Ollies time was still a time to die for ! and as for Abingdon , well I watched my son race there a few years ago and yes I agree not exactly scenic but its known to produce decent times , its a question of heads down and focusing , a new challenge for me as I have only done big city marathons or 'pretty' ones eg Lochness and Snowdonia , sorry to see it was such a traumatic three years for you , Im only spending 2 days there so hopefully I wont be suicidal image well done on tne yoga session and 6.5 miler 

5.5 easy recovery miles @ 8.40s done here , legs bums and tums class later 

• GazMorrisGazMorris ✭✭✭

Teknik - Can you add me to the race list please? The Auckland Marathon is on 30th October.

Ollie - I'm over here to compete in the British Champs in my main sport and to see friends and family. Well done on your training this week and on the 10k result.

SM6 - Careful of the knee but good stuff on the 12 miles.

NN - Sorry to hear about your Strava / social media issues. Enjoy your running and ignore the doom-mongers.

Left cold, wet and miserable weather in Auckland winter to arrive yesterday late morning to cold, wet and miserable British summer. Made it out last night for a gentle 3 recovery run. Got a decent night's sleep, breakfast and then headed out for 8 easy-ish miles in much better weather.

• Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭

NN - yeah, not traumatic exactly, just a low point in my life. I moved there a year after leaving uni because my (then) boyfriend had got a job out that way. There was a recession and, being overqualified yet underexperienced, all I could get were sporadic and shitty temp jobs. Had very little money and didn't have any friends there so I got very depressed. Fortunately, the boyfriend eventually got a job in London so I moved back there and managed to get my dream job (PC games journalist) so I went from despair to euphoria. Funny how things can turn around. image

Hmm, think I'm getting a cold. Throat's sore and I'm sneezing. Bah.

• Gaz - Well done on the pair of runsimage

NN - Nice pace for the recovery run, enjoy the gym class tonightimage 

I'm hoping to build up to around 70 miles in late August/September

Cal - Looks a good run, as you got faster as you went onimage

Ollie - That's a cracking result on what sounds a tough course. And that first km was a touch suicidal! Great stuffimage

Tek - Good MP run, and good that you've got someone to run the same paceimage

-----------

Club tonight, 2x5k (or 20 minutes, whatever came first. 5k obviously...) 19:26 out, 19:11 back. Happy with that as it was into the wind on the way back. 9 miles total for the night. 

Short run tomorrow, then going to have a crack at Camperdown parkrun Saturday. Sub 20 there would be good going for me. Infact, sub 20 might be (given a bit of luck) good enough to win...

Have a good weekend guys, and good luck to anyone racingimage

• TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

NN I'm now living in London most of the week, so I've joined Serpentine RC - great club with plenty of sessions to chose from. Nice easy 5.5m and hope you enjoyed the class

Ollie nice total for the day and cracking 10k pace too

Cal there are 1800 members, and so far I could recognise maybe 5 people!  Nice easy 6.5m, take care with the cold

Welcome to Blighty, well done on getting out for the run.  Race list updated...

Stuart excellent club session !

---

legs a bit sore after back to back hard days, so just a 2.6m recovery bimble for me tonightimage

• StewartCStewartC ✭✭✭

Tek, I bet the legs were glad for the easy run today

NN, some good sessions, I think this time round you will be fine you are a lot stronger and have had a solid year of running since your PF issues, just remember to keep up with the strength work and stretching as the miles goes up.

Yellow, I hope the shin is ok

Ollie, well done a rapid 10k with a few miles added, 

Cal, well done with the yoga and 6 mile run today

Gaz, no need to acclimatise then image 

SM, a cracking session with the club, 

---------------------

Been AWOL again and I have been feeling a little sorry for myself, I had a setback with the calf, it tighten up and got sore when I was out for a run on it last week, not in the same area and it has been a bit sore and tender for a dew days, so I haven't been up to much, I was away with the family over the weekend and this week has been just doing some body balance and gym work last night and I got out on the bike after work tonight for a 20 mile cycle, the good news is the calf is starting to feel better and I hope to get out for a run over the weekend.

I have decided not to do a marathon this autumn, so I'll look to target a HM in October, I'll probably follow a P&L plan

• OlliepopOlliepop ✭✭✭

Evening. image

Cal: Nice yoga-ing and 6.5 miles today.
    NN: Good running today with the 5.5 miles.
    Gaz: Cool, enjoy your stay and visiting friends/family, and good luck in the British Champs too.
    SM6: Yes, I think the first kilometre mark may have been 850/900 metres but I still set off too fast.  Nice club run today.
    Teknik: Hope you had a nice recovery run.
    SC: Sorry to hear about you calf woes, all the best with the half marathon this October, and glad it seems to be getting better.

- - - - - - - - - -

6.1 miles including a 5km race (Sale Sizzlers #1)

Given the 10km yesterday, wasn't setting off to put my utmost into this race but did want to give it a go.
    Managed 17:56 (17:57.54 by my watch) which I'm happy with, but lots of fast runners, I finished 66th position.  There's 3 more of these races every other Thursday, so hope to start cutting that time down further over the weeks.

Will be taking this week's parkrun easy, as two races plus a hard parkrun would be a bit too much for me in one week.

Have a good day. image

Have a good day. image
  • TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

Stewart sorry to hear about the recurring calf problem, hopefully you're on the mend now

Ollie nice 5k time, especially after the race the day before ! 

---

6.2m for me in the rain this morning, 8:25mm pace.  All ok hereimage

---

Upcoming Races

02/7/16 Serpentine 7k Handicap Teknik
    03/7/16 St Magnus                      Other Half

Good luck OH !! image

• No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭

NN a nice mix of running and swimming image and upping the miles.

Gaz hope the weather improves for you.

Cal hope the you side step the cold.

Teknik nice mix of running and some good intervalsimage

Ollie nice fast 5k runningimage

SC sorry to hear about the calf problem but well done on the bikeimage

SM6 your going well at the short stuff good luck with the Park run tomorrow.image

HM4 any training?

Done a bit of swimming, cycling on the turbo and some running, racing tomorrow in the Comber 10k. all good here.

• OlliepopOlliepop ✭✭✭

Afternoon. image

Teknik: Cheers, nice 6.2 miles at decent pace today.  Good luck in your race tomorrow.
    NP: Thanks, sounds like a good week of swimming, turbo, and running.  Best of luck in the 10k tomorrow.

- - - - - - - - - -

11 miles easy today, perhaps I should have cut today's run short, oh well.  Legs feel 'reet enough anyway.

June Stats: 257.7 miles run, three parkruns, one 5k race, one 10k race.

Have a good day. image

Have a good day. image
  • Tek nice little run earlier.

Stewart bad news on the calf , hope it improves soon.

NP have a great race tomorrow.

Ollie some big miles last month well done .

Leg still recovering but improving all the time so have managed 4 consecutive runs this week including a tough club rep session at 6 min miles. Will get out for 14 - 16 m tomorrow.

3 weeks until 24 hr race so need make sure there is some stamina left , Jersey Marathon entered but have alot to do before then.
  • OlliepopOlliepop ✭✭✭

Morning. image

Good luck to the racers today, Teknik and NP, enjoy.

MG1: Nice running this week, enjoy the 14 - 16 miler today.  24 hour race sounds interesting, what sort of training/preparation do you undertake for that?

- - - - - - - - - - -

3 miles plus parkrun today for a total of 6.1 miles.
    Will not be going hard on parkrun at all, will be nice to enjoy the company without going all out today.

Have a good day. image

Have a good day. image
  • TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

NP good luck at the Comber 10kimage

Ollie well done on the easy 11m; nice stats for June, hope you had an enjoyable parkjogimage

MG good to hear the leg is improving, well done on the week's running - fast club session too.  Good luck on the longer run tomorrowimage

---

7.3m this morning including the club Handicap 7k.  The handicap system is still working against me - still starting off with much faster runners - but came in at 29:30, so 30 seconds off a PB, but a good run out on a breezy morning at 6:49mm (~10k pace).image

• Waiting for ferry home. St Magnus marathon tomorrow.

Thanks Tek! May need it!

Hope run goes well with racers today: Tek and NP