2016 Marathon Training Thread

Comments

• Ollie nice to not go all guns blazing in the park run, the 24 hr race is a team relay race, 8 in the team running 9 k loops of a park in the cotswolds, basically the winning team is the one who covers the greatest distance over 24 hrs. I am penned in for 4 or 5 legs , so will be a mixture of endurance , recovery and speed plus racing a leg in the middle of the night.

Tek nice racing in tough conditions , a good speed workout.

OH good luck in your mara tomorrow , hope it goes well.

16 m @ 7.23 this morning, took me a good 8 odd miles to get into it but speed was there in the last 8 miles against the wind which was pleasing. IT / outside of my knee felt pretty good at the end but was a little sore in the midle part of the run.
  • MG - Well done on the 16, very nice paceimage 

OH - Good luck tomorrowimage

Tek - Sounds like a good outing by you, well doneimage

Ollie - Hope you had an enjoyable parkrun.image

Stewart - Do you have a half in mind for the autumn? Sensible to decide against a marathon I think.

NP - Hope the calf is ok?

-----------

20:23 parkrun in Dundee this morning. Not too fussed as their was absolutely nothing in the legs, and my road shoes struggled with a bit of lack of grip ,which also knocks my confidence a fair bit. First mile drops 46m, and yet I only just went sub 6 which tells a story itself. Bit annoying to get outsprinted by an over 60 in the last 100m!!!

6 and a half miles hillwalking (Schiehallion) with brother and a mate in the afternoon. Didn't enjoy it at all, not sure why it's such a popular hill as it's utterly grim.

Plan is 17 tomorrow, but depends on my legs. Might do 6-8 tomorrow and 17 Monday.

• StewartCStewartC ✭✭✭

SM, I have signed up for Aviemore half in October, which will give me three weeks or so to get over this niggle

NP, sorry to hear about your calf hope it recovers quickly

MG, sounds like an encouraging run, sounds like the IT Band issue is clearing up

OH, good luck tomorrow

Tek, a cracking pace at the club handicap race 

Ollie, well done with the 11 and 6 today including parkrun I hope you took it easy 

-----------------

Well the comeback run didn't go to plan, it started fine enough but by the time I got to the swing bridge on the canal the calf was starting to tighten up again, looks like another week at least with no running, I'll probably get out on my bike tomorrow,  

• HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Well done guys.

NP,

Yep. I'm just about to complete week 1 of a 10k training plan.

• Fiona CFiona C ✭✭✭

Hi all image

Just entered a marathon so thought after a 2 year gap I would pop back in. Great to see all the regulars and new faces too image  So good to see lots of great training going on.

Not running as much; 5.5 hours last week and 8.5 hours on the bike. Did a 10 hour easy run this morning, av 8mm.

Stewart sorry to see the calf is playing up but the bike will keep the fitness going. image 

HM4 great that you are now running regularly,

Teknik when in London recently I saw a few Serpentine runners in Hyde Park - looked like some sort of handicap?

Stuart park run great time for having nothing in the legs.

MG1 super speedy 16.

OH good luck in St Magnus marathon.

NP hope the calf is ok and Buddy is on the mend.

Hope the park run went to plan Olliepop.

Plan a spin tomorrow and a run but weather looking rubbish for the bike. 

F

• Morning 

Tek I hope you enjoy your running with the Serpies , a massive and well known club superb effort at the 7k race also so the training with them is paying  off 

Fiona nice to see you , I know you mean a 10 mile and not 10 hour easy run I saw it on Strava image nice going 

SC sorry to see you ate injured at the moment , at least you have the bike , although its nit the same is it ? if you are a runner at heart 

SM6 good luck with the 17 , my target sometime  this week also 

MG1 superb pace for your long run my 10k pace isnt much quicker than that 

OH good luck today 

7 easy miles Friday 8 easy yesterday all at around 8.20 pace brings weeks miles to 47.8 so I shall pop out for a quick 3 miles today to bring the total to 50 ! highest weekly miles in well over 16 months and I dont know why its now typingi slanted text also a little swim later 

• Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭

Morning guys. I did manage to sidestep the cold. I felt pretty ropey on Friday so I stayed in and did nothing much (well, I hauled my laundry bag down to the launderette - I guess that's a little exercise). And here is a cautionary tale. As I felt a bit guilty for not exercising, I started doing squats while waiting for the coffee machine ( I can do 40-50 while it does its thing). I did that three times. A while back, that would have been no big deal but I've obviously really neglected the gym because I now have DOMS and my groin, which has been dormant for a while, became cranky again. Damn it!

Fortunately I'd already decided that I would volunteer at parkrun on Saturday, as it was a bit too soon after my last race to be running (and I'm one of those people who finds it impossible not to race it). Weather stayed nice so I enjoyed it. No other exercise though.

Woke up today feeling fine. Groin still a bit tight but I decided to see how it felt running. I was originally planning on doing a long (more than 10 miles) run and I'll often do a big route taking in different commons along the way. However, as I wasn't sure how I'd feel, I just stuck to laps of Tooting Common. Went slowly and completed 11.5 miles. That's the farthest I've run since my marathon - I seem to have developed a bit of an aversion to running long distances after those three hour plus training runs. (Why the hell did I sign up for another one, remind me?)

Anyway, job done. 10:55 average pace - as I said - slow, but groin was OK. I was more conscious of my knotty hamstring.

-------------

Well done on the 50, NN. I rarely get above 20, myself. That's probably why you're a lot faster than I am.image

Stewart - sorry about the calf. Tore mine two years ago so I sympathise.

OH - guess you've started your race already. Sending you good vibes anyway.

NP, how did the 10K go?

• Cal - Well done on the 11.5 milesimage What marathon have you signed up for? I must have missed that..

NN - That's a great weekly totalimage

Fiona - Well done on the easy 75 miles yesterdayimage Hope the weather wasn't too bad for your cycle todayimage Which marathon are you signed up for?

HM - Well done on your trainingimage

Stewart - Half tempted to do the 10k, just to see what ridiculously unattainable time I could set (judging by a mates performance last year, I'd fancy close to 36:00) but probably not wise to put that much stress through my legs 2 weeks out from Frankfurt. Take care with the calf, sounds sensible to take another week off.

----------

Gym soon for me, maybe 6 miles later. Going to have to move schedule for next week about a bit.

• Fiona CFiona C ✭✭✭
    Ha ha, nice typo by me!! Not used to all the corrections my new laptop does! Must check stuff before I press submit.

NN great weekly mileage. I think I'm at my highest mileage since Frankfurt 2014 training. Don't think I could go back to the mileage I used to do.

Plan to do Frankfurt again Stuart if I can manage the injury.

Just back in from a spin, didn't get rained on!! Maybe get the trainers on later.

• Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭

Stuart - Brighton.

• StewartCStewartC ✭✭✭

Fiona, I seen your cycle on strava well done with the QOM

SM, It was my first half way back in 2014, it is a little more challenging than the 10k as the first half is off road with a few single file sections, but a fast road finish as it follows the same route as the 10k, well done with the gym session enjoy the run later

Cal, sounds like you have got over the groin niggle, I am sure a bit of stretching and foam rolling will sort out the hammy

NN, some good sessions over the last few days good totals for the week

HM, good luck with the 10k plan image

--------------

Not long back from a cycle out to Foyers, a stiff breeze on the way out nice to have it at my back on the way home, the good thing about cycling is you can stop to have tea and cake, very civilised image

• TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

MG glad the leg held up - nice pace for the 16m image

Stuart well done on the parkrun, sounds a difficult course ! Enjoy the gym and hope you get out for the 6 later.image

Stewart that's bad news, enjoy the bikeimage

HM well done on starting the 10k planimage

Fiona nice 10 miler yesterday morning - which marathon have you entered?  If you saw people in Serpie kit then it must have been the monthly handicap around the Serpentine Lakeimage

NN great running, good to see you hitting 50mpw again.  Lol at the italics taking over...image

Cal beware the squats !! Lol.  Well done on the 11.5m around the commonimage

---

Hungover 3m recovery jog this morning - long run postponed until tomorrow.  43m for the week.image

• Tek - Good weeks total, hope the LR gets done tomorrow!image

Camperdown is probably the slowest of the Scottish parkruns, I've heard a few fast guys saying they think it's worth about 90s on Edinburgh/Strathclyde. Which sounds about right, I imagine I'd have been about 19 minutes at Edinburgh yesterday. After all I ran a 19:11 5k completely into the wind on Thursday...

Stewart - Well done on the cycleimage

Cal - Ah still a while away then!image I was thinking you meant you had an autumn marathon coming up!image

Fiona - Hope you get out for the run. And it looks like pretty much everyone marathon training have races between 23rd-30th of October, so we'll all be roughly at the same point of training!image

----------

Upper body weights at the gym, going to get out for roughly an hour before the football.

• 4h30m30 today (catch up later)

A well organised inaugural St Magnus Marathon image

• StewartCStewartC ✭✭✭

OH well done mate, looking forward to the report image

Tek, good miles this week well done

SM, did you get out for a run 

• OlliepopOlliepop ✭✭✭

Hey guys. image

Teknik: Like the name 'parkjog'.  Nice handicap race yesterday, and hungover running.  Well done.
    OH: Again, well done on the marathon, look forward to the report.
    MG1: Sounds interesting, best of luck for the race in 3 weeks time.  Nice going on the 16 miles too.
    SM6: Good going at Dundee parkrun, hopefully you'll have a bit more in the legs next week.  Good gym session/hours run today.
    SC: Definitely took parkrun easy yesterday, legs felt all the better for it.  Sorry your running comeback is delayed, hope you enjoyed the cycling (plus cake breaks of course).
    HM4: Thanks, and well done on finishing week 1 of your 10k training.
    Fiona: Hey, parkrun went well thanks.  Nice going on the spin session, hope you managed to get a run in (not 10 hours I trust...), good luck in marathon training.
    NN: Great going on getting a weekly mileage of 50 miles after 16 months, good stuff.  So grand I think the italic text is justified.
    Cal: Glad you avoided the cold, well done on the 11 miles, and highest miles post marathon, good stuff.  I ask myself the same question re: marathons, I guess I do 'em so I can post on this thread.

- - - - - - - - - -

Yesterday's parkjog was done in 26:13, leaving my legs nice and recovered for today's run.

17 miles with 8 miles at marathon pace (6:50s), speed was aided somewhat at mile 12 (along the canal path) by being chased by five geese, one goose in particular gave me cause to sprint, not a fan of them at all.
    I also had the overture to The Thieving Magpie stuck on a loop in my head, pleasant for the first mile or so but gradually wears its welcome after hearing the same few bars repeating themselves over and over for about 2 hours.

Other than that, the run was good, and that's 67.4 miles done for the week.

Have a good day. image

Have a good day. image
  • Ollie - Very nice 17 with 8 @ MPimage Not surprised you legged it from the geese!image 

OH - Very well doneimage That's not too far off a PB is it?

Stewart - Yip, 6 done at 8:30s. Felt aerobically easy, not confident that my right leg is holding up well though. I thought it was the knee causing the problem, but now the full bloody leg feels off. Didn't hurt while I was out, but felt fair from right.image  A sensible man would rest, I'm going out for 17 tomorrow afternoon though...

• Apols. for absence still running just stuff!image

SM6 Great monthly mileage and 5k is looking good well done

Ollie Impressive MP for your 17 miler great weekly mileage

SC Good cycle, Hope all is going well

OH well done with stmagnus marathon ... great time

Tek enjoy your long run...

GazM Enjoy your trip here sunny here today!

Did Chesterfield spire 10 race, hilly and not a PB course but a beautiful run. Nice sunny day and bottle of beer from Brampton brewery... wonderful. Trip to Scotland got postponed have to get some long distance plods in to prepare for two 35mile slogs in the Cairngorms.

• OlliepopOlliepop ✭✭✭

Hello again. image

SM6: Nice 6 miles yesterday, enjoy the 17 miles today and hope your right leg doesn't feel too strained.
    MG7: Nice running, well done on the Chesterfield 10 race, good stuff, sounds like a good run.  Enjoy the long plods when you get them in.

- - - - - 

Will be a 6 mile recovery run today, probably 9 min./mile pace.

Have a good day. image

Have a good day. image
  • GazMorrisGazMorris ✭✭✭

Ollie - Thanks, I've been keeping my training going so I should do OK. Nice 10k result earlier in the week. Well done on the 11 miler. And the 17 miler. Note to self, I really should log in to the page more often.

SC - Definitely no need to acclimatise. It was cold and raining when I left Auckland and was cold and raining when I landed at Heathrow!

NP - It's much nicer now, which makes it easier to make that decision to pull the trainers on and go for a plod.

SM6 - Good parkrun, even if you didn't make the most of the downhill start.

Cal - Good 11.5 miles!

AOH - Well done on the marathon!

MG7 - Thank you. It's lovely to be back over here and have more than 10 hours of daylight. The race in Chesterfield sounds fun.

A bit of a weekend of running. Did a 10 mile easy run on Saturday and followed it up with a 12 mile easy run on Sunday for a total of 36.7 miles this week. Was quite tired for the second run through a combination of jetlag and the 10 miler.

Just an easy 3-5m recovery jog planned for today.

• Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭

Stuart - my Autumn schedule is crazy enough without sticking a marathon in there! Four half marathons and a 10 miler in 8 weeks! Careful with that leg, eh?

Gaz - sounds like a busy weekend. Not surprised you're tired.

Michael - well done on the race.

Ollie - your parkjog is 7 seconds faster than my parkrun PB, which was an absolute balls-out effort. image Not keen on geese either. I remember running around the lake at university and getting hissed at.

OH - good job on the marathon!

------

Today was supposed to be gym day, especially as I didn't make it to the gym once last week. But the weather was far too nice so I decided I'd do what I used to call Terminator Death Circuits - which is a jog around the common interspersed with other exercises such as bench dips and railing rows. I think I'm going to call it Fartlek Plus now, as I throw in random sprints and stuff. Quite fond of what I call progression sprints where I pick a line of trees or lamposts and accelerate each time I pass one. Bonus: the playground was empty today so I also got to play on the ropes course. I bet my arms will be sore tomorrow. No Garmin but I was out for about an hour and 10.

• Fiona CFiona C ✭✭✭

Thanks Stewart image and I agree, cycling is great for the cakes. Stopped off at Galcantry college yesterday, only a few miles from home but amazing cakes and coffee - highly recommend it and they love cyclists coming in! image Said to spread the word!

Good luck with the long run Teknik.

Stuart that's great. Love it when the marathons are all close together - lots of different training approaches too! Hope the leg behaves today.

Well done OH, great time.

Ollie great long run and weekly miles.

MG7 hope you get some decent weather when you come up here! I'm planning a few cycles down Cairngorm way. over the summer.

Gaz nice weekend of running.

Sounds like a great workout Cal.

Managed a short run after my spin yesterday. A couple of faster miles this morning - did an out and back with easy miles out and faster back. Nice to get a good start to the week. image

F

• Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭

Morningimage. Miles behind the threadimage ... may never catch up (sounds like one of my races). It took me a couple of weeks to get my act together following the ITU triathlon but I'm back in the game now, having clocked up 30 miles last week with additional 55 miles on the bike.I am making a resolution to be good from here on inimage.

Rightyimage ... my 16 week home-made Hanson-FIRST conglomerated Abingdon marathon training schedule starts this week. Like all good schedules, it has no running on the first Monday image.

• Thanks guys (definitely short of PB which stands at 4h25m24 but happy enough). Busy week ahead so no promises of report but will try.

• TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

Stewart nice bike ride yesterday

Stuart well done on the gym work and the 6 miler - hope the 17 went ok today

OH well done on the marathon - good piccies on FB, too

Ollie nice patkjog and well done on the 17 with some geese assisted MP !  Great week's total, too

Michael well done on the Chesterfield 10 - when are those two Ultras?

Gaz good running with the jetlag

Cal well done on this morning's circuits around the common

Fiona nice spin class yesterday and well done on the out and back today

Dr Dan good luck with day 1, week 1 !!

---

I managed the LSR as a commute run - 15.15m ran fairly easily at 9mm pace.  A couple of uphill miles were a strain but mostly the HR stayed below 75%max, despite the humid weather here.

It was however much harder than it should have been - legs were aching after about mile 9 - serves me right for not getting a long run done since March !imageimage

• Tek - Well done on the 15 milesimage

Dr Dan - Hope todays workout wasn't too strenuousimage

Fiona - Nice couple of runs this morning and last nightimage

Cal - That sounds like a fun session earlierimage

Gaz - Well done on the 10 and 12 milersimage

Michael - Well done on the 10 mile raceimage, sounds like some preperation is needed for the Cairngorms trip!

Ollie - Hope you managed your 6 miles todayimage

-----------

16 @ 8:45 done. Not good, leg hurt a lot on the downhill sections but I stupidly continued on. Tomorrow is a rest day anyway, but we'll see what the damage is on Wednesday...

58 miles for the week

• HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Well done guys.

• GazMorrisGazMorris ✭✭✭

Tek - Commute running is the only way to fit these things in! Good effort and motivation to run one every few weeks.

SM6 - Also a good long run! I'm going to try and get 16 miles in on Sunday morning.

Got out for my run after lunch today. 5 miles recovery pace with 6 x 100m strides along the Basingstoke Canal.

• Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭

Tek - well done on the 15 ... it'll come back soon enough.

Stuart - nice mileage. Hope the leg is OK!

Gaz - hope that 5 miler revived the legs after the big mileage weekend.

Fastest bike commute of the year for me this morning, followed by 6 miles at 8:50/m. And so it begins...

• GazMorrisGazMorris ✭✭✭

Dr. Dan - Yes, recovering nicely thanks. Well done for getting out for a run.

Another 5m at an easy pace for me today. I'm loving being able to get out and go for a run every day. Makes me realise how much time I spend commuting.