2016 Marathon Training Thread

Comments

• Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭

NP - yeah it took 6 weeks after my calf tear before I could run again. Take it easy eh?

Sub17 - that's annoying - are they going to sort it out? Well done on the time though.

Parkrun for me today - 26:34. Not a PB but my second fastest time, which isn't too bad considering it was warm and muggy. The last parkrun I did was disappointing so I'm glad I'm back to somewhere near my best. I didn't have much left during the last circuit (it's three circuits of a triangle of paths) but I'll put that down to the humidity. Also, second in my age group again.

Good luck to all those racing this weekend.

• OlliepopOlliepop ✭✭✭

Morning. image

NN: Nice going on the 15 miles.
    HM4: Cheers, hope the cold clears up soon.
    NP: Good that you can still swim and cycle, hope you're back running soon.
    Sub17: Nice parkrun time today, hope they manage to sort the timing issue.
    SM6: Nice club session this morning, and good going on the gym/run yesterday.
    Cal: Well done on the parkrun time, good to see it's improved since last parkrun.

- - - - - - - - - -

Got a new course PB (18:20) at Woodbank Park, finished in 3rd place but there was a nice pack of four or five runners up front so it made it much easier to stick to somebody, and not go storming off.

Will be another 3 miles later this evening for 6.1 miles total.

Have a good day. image

Have a good day. image
  • Fiona CFiona C ✭✭✭

Speedy intervals the other day Stuart; hope the 2m session goes well. image

Tek - hope you're feeling better today. image

Nice run and bike totals Dr D.

Gaz well done escaping to get a run or two done. I'm no expert but my bike miles are used as endurance training and also some of the hard turbo sessions serve a similar purpose to run intervals without the impact as I am so injury prone.

Nice long run Ollie - great pace.

NN another great long run, well done. image

NP ouch! Take care with that calf but good news on the back. you could turbo whilst watching the tour! image

Sub 17 - that's a pain re the park run timing! 

Did 11 miles yesterday at just under 8mm pace then later went out on the bike. Just did around 32 miles but a good sociable spin with friends although legs were a bit tired. Short run this morning, Tried to throw in some threshold efforts  - 3 lots of 10 minutes ended up 3 lots of 5 at 7:03, 6:52 and 6:36 pace. Last one was mostly downhill so just kept the heart rate the same. Marshalling at a bike road race tomorrow so no rest day for me; maybe just a wee pedal at some point.

F

• Fiona CFiona C ✭✭✭

Cross post Ollie and Cal - well done both on great park runs! 

F

• Ollie - Great parkrun time, well doneimage

Cal - Well done on a good run in what sounds tough conditionsimage

Fiona - Good training double yesterday, and well done on the short threshold run this morning.image

---------

Just under 10 miles total this morning, with 2x2 miles. Average pace was 6:06, so maybe 5 or so seconds too quick as that's roughly target 10k pace, and not 10 mile pace.

Feeling pretty strong at the moment, other than this bloody leg...

• Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭

Well done on the 3rd place, Ollie! Awesome stuff.

Fiona, sounds like a lot of hard work going on there!

Stuart, speedy as ever, despite the leg. Good job.

• GazMorrisGazMorris ✭✭✭

Sub17 - Ooops. To err is human, to really screw things up requires a computer.

Cal - Nice parkrun.

Ollie - Great effort on the new PB and the parkrun podium finish!

Fiona - Good 11m run.

SM6 - That's some fast running there, great stuff.

Quality run 2 of the week today. 8m Easy, 2x 2m Threshold w/ 2mins Rest, 4m Easy for a total of 16 miles in 2:14:26. I probably ran the threshold sections a tiny bit fast in 7:03, 6:57 and 6:49, 7:04 (I should be doing them in 7:05 at this stage) but I didn't feel too bad by the end.

• StewartCStewartC ✭✭✭

Gaz, a quality long run, well done

SM, another great session with the club, I hope the leg isn't too bad but judging by the pace it looks like you are managing it.

Fiona, a good run and bike session, and a speedy threshold run today enjoy the marshalling tomorrow, hopefully it doesn't rain

Ollie, congratulations on the course record today enjoy the recovery 3 later

Cal, another good run at parkrun today image

HM, I hope you avoid the cold

S17, another consistent result at parkrun, shame about the timing mixup

NP, it is good to hear you are off the pain killers but not so goo =d that the calf is still giving you some problems, and at least you can still get out on the bike and into the pool.

Dr Dan, a good 10 mile run, good luck with the 10k this weekend

NN, well done with the 15 mile MLR, even an easy run is tough in the heat

Tek, I hope you are feeling better soon

------------------

Another comeback run today and it went well, I decided to go to the park and do short jog intervals, 2 minutes jog of a one minute walk, just over 3 miles in total and no calf pain, a few twinges in both Achilles but nothing really to worry about, I'll continue with the short jog intervals looking to increase the running time.

• HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Well done guys & thanks.

Unfortunately I've not been able to avoid it and have a horrible cough.  I guess that means no running until the cough has gone?

• Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭

Good progress, Stewart.

HM - yeah, 'fraid so. Below the neck = no running for you.

----

This morning I did the same run as last Sunday: 11.5 miles running laps of Tooting Common. Only I did it exactly 7 and a half minutes faster, with a negative split. That wasn't really the intention but I seemed to find my legs halfway through and decided to push a little.

Splits were 10:33, 10:37, 10:14, 10:09, 10:40, 10:06, 10:11, 10:19, 10:02, 9:53, 9:24 (last half mile at 9:47, winding down).

Given that I did parkrun yesterday, that is very encouraging. I've previously shied away from running on consecutive days for fear of injury or lack of recovery (because I'm old) but it seems my body can do a lot more than I give it credit for. Which is good, because I'm going to be asking a lot from it this Autumn.

Conditions weren't optimal - grey, a little windy but also warm and humid. I was quite thankful for the wind as it would have been really muggy otherwise.

Lots of other runners out this morning and got plenty of smiles today. Good stuff.

• OlliepopOlliepop ✭✭✭

Morning.

Fiona: Nice 11 miles in the week, and good going on the short threshold run yesterday.  Enjoy marshalling at the bike race.
    SM6: Nice going on the 10 mile run yesterday, great pace at 6:06.
    Cal - Thanks, great going on the double day, sounds like a nice progressive run today, encouraging indeed.
    Gaz: Sounds like a tough 16 miles, so good stuff with the quality sections; nice paces too.  
    SC: Nice to see the comeback runs, seems to be a sensible way of doing things for the moment with subtle increases.
    HM4: Thanks.  Hope the cough goes soon.

- - - - - - - - - -

Will be 16 miles (will set off around 3:00pm, as the geese don't seem to be present at that time), as usual will start at 8:15s and work down to 7:30s.

Will be a weekly total of 70.1 miles.

Have a good day. image

Have a good day. image
  • Hello

NP you seem to be handling things  well mentally !  I giuess swimming and turbo gives you the buzz you need , hope hings improve quickly

Cal thats a massive improvement over the 11.5 mler ! well done inded 

SC take it easy very frustrating thogh  I know ! try to not keep ' testing ' it ! all you are doing is yes it still hurts  yes it still hurts !  keep up the dross trainu g and give it a proper rest

Gaz excellent 16 mller ! 

Ollie hope the 16 miler goes ok superb weekly mileage too 

Fiona niice to see you  training  regularly again 

SM6 an imprssive  week been following your runs on stava , a good session yesterday with the club 

3 mile recovery and swim yesterday

9 mles hard hilly off road coastal path run for me today @8.40 pace 

weekly miles 51.5 

• HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Well done guys.

------

Cal,

I was hoping someone wasn't going to say that.

• NN - Well done on the 9 today, and swim yesterday. Good total for the week tooimage

Ollie - Hope you got the long run in, that's a big total for the week tooimage

Cal - That's a great run, so much faster than last weekimage

Stewart - Good to hear the recovery is going wellimage

Gaz - Jeezo, that's a beast of a run! Great stuffimage

---------

8 miles this afternoon, pace just over 8s I think. Felt a bit lethargic, but just due to a restless night which may or may not have been drink related...image

First Mon-Sun total of 60 miles since March, actual 'weekly' (my week is currently Tuesday-Monday) total will be 61 or 62 as I've 17-18 planned tomorrow.

• OlliepopOlliepop ✭✭✭

Morning. image

NN: 16 miler went well thanks.  Nice going on the hilly 9 miles yesterday, and the run/swim combo the day before.  Good weekly mileage too.
    HM4: Thanks.
    SM6: Nice 8 at 8:00s yesterday afternoon, good weekly mileage as well.  Enjoy the long run today.

- - - - - - - - - - 

Decided to delay yesterday's run until after Wimbledon, and anticipating that the geese would be present (rather than flocking off), I decided to do my 16 miles as 2 x 8 mile loops.
    Got splits of 60:21/57:55 for each of the 8 miles, though I set off way too fast so will be concentrating on the 8:15 pacing today.

Today's run will be 6 miles at 8:15 min/mile... Hopefully.

Have a good day. image

Have a good day. image
  • GazMorrisGazMorris ✭✭✭

SC - Good luck with getting back into it.

Cal - Nicely done on the 11.5 miles at the weekend.

Ollie - Looks like the 16 miler went OK and was goose-free!

SM6 - 60 miles is a decent week's running, well done. That was my peak before my ultra in Feb, but I'llbe trying to average that in the month before I taper for the Auckland Marathon,

I took a day off yesterday after my long run on Saturday, so a total of 46 miles last week. 6m easy run at an average pace of about 08:30 this morning, which is a touch fast really, but it felt OK.

• Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭

Quick check-in ...will read back later.image

42:08 for the Leeds 10K. After far too many slack weeks, I am pretty happy with that at the end of week 1/16 of marathon training (it's only 4 seconds/mile slower than the last road 10K in March when I was training well). Humid day a quite congested at the start (6,700 finishers). Ended up with the 13th fastest V50 chip time and 265th over all.

• Fiona CFiona C ✭✭✭

Stuart and Gaz nice 2 mile efforts; I hope the injury is behaving Stuart.

Stewart looks like the rehab is going well - fingers crossed!

Cal nice 11 miler the day after park run.

NN great mileage; building nicely! image

Ollie well done on the big negative split! Hope todays easy run goes to plan!! 

Dr D great 10k time image and well placed.

A fun day for me marshalling yesterday in the rain. Love the noise of all those expensive wheels make as they pass! A full field of 60 and always a bit anxious seeing them whizz past on the corner but no falls on my patch! I had entered the ladies road race but it was cancelled as there were only 11 entrants image A nice easy 5.4 miles for me this morning  and planning a pedal later on today.

F

• Hello 

Fiona , sounds like a good day marshalling , pity the ladies race was cancelled , nice easy run and enkoy rhe cycle later 

DD a good 10k time and resoectable placing in such a large field ! which marathon are you doing ? Abingdon ?

GM nice weekly mileage  , well done in tne 10k run always nice when a faster pace feels easy , I was like that today

Ollie nice 16 miler with a decent negative split ! have a good run today

SM6 very impressive mileage ! and nice 8 mile hangover run !  image you gotta live ! 

My 5 easy turned out at just under 8s today feeling bouncy 8.25 .. 7.54... 7.59..7.58..7.35 pleased with that considering I am between night shifts ... visiting the gym on my way to work for a few weights 

• Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭

Fiona - shame about the cancellation! Well done on the soggy marshalling and run.

NN - bouncy is good! Yes, it's Abingdon for me this year.image

• TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

Sorry peeps, been AWOL, but I think i'm over the bug now.  

HM hope that cough clears up quickly.

----

I took a day off Saturday, and did an "easy" 7m on Sunday back in Essex (eyes streaming from the pollen being blown off the fields), to end the week with 41m.

Today I managed another 15m commute into London, some boring miles through East London then down the River Lea path from the Olympic Park to Limehouse, then up round the Regent's Canal - and it was uphill, lots of locks to get over, plus a few geese to sprint past.  Pace averaged 8:47mm, wind against me all the way as usual.image

• Tek - Well done on yesterdays 7 and the 15 into the wind today. image 41 is a good total for a week where you aren't feeling great!

NN - Nice pace for that easy 5!image

Fiona - Shame about your race being cancelledimage Nice wee run this morning and hope you get out for your cycle laterimage

Dr Dan - Well done, that's a nice 10k timeimage

Gaz - Nice weekly total and a good wee recovery runimage

Ollie - That's a brisk pace for your 16!image

---------

17 @ 8:05 ish this afternoon. Was getting wound up every time I turned into the wind, but other than that it wasn't too bad. 

Leg doesn't feel any worse after a 61 mile week. Admittedly, it's not recovering that quickly either..image

• HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Well done guys.

Thanks.  My cough isn't as deep so hopefully it's on it's way out.

• Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭

Weren't you knackered at work, Teknik?

HM - hope so mate. Just don't throw yourself back into hard training quickly - your body will still need a bit of time to recover energy levels after dealing with the virus.

Well done on the 17, Stuart.

---

Just 4 easy miles this morning. A lot of tight spots left over from the weekend. Struggled more than usual in yoga yesterday - couldn't do standing head to knee, which I normally can. But hey, the weather's looking nice - blue skies but a lot fresher out. Hopefully I'll be a bit more recovered tomorrow.

• OlliepopOlliepop ✭✭✭

Morning all. image

Gaz: Sounds like a deserved rest day on Sunday, nice going on the 6 miles yesterday.
    Dr.Dan: Well done on the 10k, great pacing and placing.
    Fiona: Good job on marshalling, pity the ladies' race never happened though.  Good running and pedalling yesterday too.
    NN: Nice bouncy 5 miles yesterday, good job on those splits.  Hope you enjoyed a decent gym session as well.
    Teknik: Nice commute run yesterday, 15 miles is a decent distance to run prior to work.
    SM6: Great 17 miles yesterday, nice average pace as well.  Glad to hear the leg seems not to be worsening, especially good after a 61 mile week.
    HM4: Thanks, hope you can get out running soon.
    Cal: Hope you enjoyed the 4 miles.  Sounds like the weekend took its toll on the Yoga session, but still impressive, though this is coming from a person who's closest proximity to a yogi was watching Yogi Bear.

- - - - - - - - - -

10 miles general aerobic with 10 x 100 metre strides.
    Seems a nice morning for it as well.

Have a good day. image

Have a good day. image
  • Fiona CFiona C ✭✭✭

NN great to feel bouncy - rarely happens to me! image

Amazing commute miles Teknik, I would be asleep at my desk!

Stuart good that the leg is no worse.

Cal well done getting some yoga done.

More great miles Ollie. image

Got out on the bike last night, 30 very breezy miles. This morning was some treadmill intervals (6 miles in total) then got out for another 30 mile pedal, That one was a little bonus and plan another one tonight if the legs don't complain too much,

F

• DD see you there image what time are you hoping for ? 

Tek thats still a pretty good weeks mileage considering ! well done on tne boring breezy 15 miler ! those runs test our mental toughness ( or do they just prove we are mental ) ? image

Fiona nice peddling and a good session on the dreadmill do you have your own ? 

Ollie nice 10 miler , and yes thanks I enjoyed the gym session , just some upper body weights 

Calnice easy 4 , and I dint think I could do that yoga position on  a good day ! whatever it is image  

SM6 ! awesome ! very impressive 17 miler ! and I know what you mean about the wind ! it seems a very windy summer all round so far ! 

11 miles MLR in 1 hour 32 today average pace 8.23   very happy with that 

• Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭

Impressive commuting Tek!

Stuart - another one putting in a long one! Tidy pace too.

Well done ont he 4+yoga Cal.

Ollie - nice base 10 train.

Fiona - great cycling! I wish I had the time to do more than just commute.

NN - Tidy 11 miler! See you in Abo! image Not committing to a time just yet but based on the last 5 being 3:32, 3:38, 3:37, 3:35 and 3:39, it would be nice if it started with 3:2X. But I have real problems converting my 5K-HM times up to marathon equivalents ... I should be 3:15-3:20 reallyimage.

11 miles of bike commuting and 8 mile easy run for me today. Plan the same for tomorrow too.

• DD , Its odd , it seems to be a man thing ! I know lots of men who run far faster than me over a half but are slower over the marathon , hoping for sub 3.40 myself PB is 3.39.... VLM 2015 

• TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

Stuart nice steady pace for the 17 miler, and well done on the week's totalimage

HM good newsimage

Cal nice easy 4mimage

Ollie well done on the 10m plus stridesimage

Fiona nice double/ treble? dayimage

NN haha, yes you're right.  Great pace for the 11image

Dr Dan well done on the bike commute and 8m easyimage

All - thanks for the plaudits on the commute run, but I'm self-employed - and didn't do much work that day !image

---

Legs a bit sore, so I skipped the club intervals (again) and did a bouncy 3m recovery insteadimage