The Middle Ground

Comments

• WelshpoppyWelshpoppy ✭✭✭

PRF: I have just read your blog and I just hope they have caught it in time for you! But thank you for sharing  I always run with a cap all year around.

I really wish you a speedy recovery.

I am back running yay as of last week slow build up as knee was not 100% more like 85% but 6 miles this morning and 4 yesterday(only because of the weather) and I am feeling positive the comeback has startedimage

ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Prf,  I can't open link off my phone so will read when I get laptop out later...though I think I've a pretty good idea what happened. Hope you recover well. 

I am now on week 2  of my summer schedule. I probably shouldn't have started until this week but with summer holiday to squeeze in it was the only way I could get the full 16 weeks in for mid October. Looking at how the first few sessions have gone I'm done about 10 seconds per mile from where I peaked. Hopefully that'll come back in a few weeks. 

I'm supposed to be running a 10k Sunday just to gauge fitness to set paces by, however I may find myself having a few beers with the football Saturday night. 

Glad to hear you are back at it WP. 

• AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭

Long time no speak - mainly because I have had near enough nothing to report for two months!

Anyway ....

prf - sorry to read about what you've been through. To echo everyone else, hopefully it was caught in time and I wish you a full recovery.

WP - how has the comeback been going?

DT - seems crazy starting autumn marathon training in June, but I suppose that does make sense when you think about it being a 16 week plan! Good luck with it all.

Andrew good to see you back...how is the comeback going?

I ran 35 miles last week knee still not right but more niggly I ran 6 miles then ran 8 miles Saturday rest Sunday then 8 again Monday but feel it was a bit too much as knee was more niggly so backed off and ran 6 miles apart from yesterday and today 4 miles each.I entered a 10k before knee and the race is tomorrow so just going to run around at knee pace.I missed Sunday's race and I have had a rubbish year and wasted so much money but hoping it will be better for second half of the year!!

Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

All very quiet here.

I've ticked along but suddenly last week or so things have really turned round. Noticably my resting heart rate is down over 10% since Monday. 3 miles at short tempo last night came out 6.18mm for 168hr. Identical run 10 days ago came out 6.23 for 175. 

What's been up Andrew? 

Best of luck with the niggles and race, WP. 

• AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭

Sounds promising DT. I have just had a couple of months of negligible mileage, for no specific single reason but just a combination of (i) circumstances (work being busy, childcare, doing things at weekends and evenings), (ii) niggly injuries, (iii) tiredness (especially after playing cricket on a Saturday I lack the energy to try and get out for much of a run on a Sunday), (iv) crap weather on the occasions when I have been planning a run, (v) baby having a bad night's sleep the night before I was planning an early morning run and (vi) just general CBA/getting out of the habit of it!!

Did 3 miles this morning before work and actually didn't feel too bad, but there is a long way to go before I'd feel comfortable to do much more than easy or possibly MP runs.

Aiming to get back into it through July and August and then hit proper training and racing again in September once the cricket season ends.

WP - glad to hear that you are back to decent mileage. Did you get a second opinion after the previous doctor was so unhelpful and basically told you to just put up with it?!

• Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭

EeeeUp MGersimage... well, since the Leeds HM in May, my weekly mileage went 0, 13, 19, 11, 12, 4 and 14 image. So I have not had much to report running wise, although there was a fair amount of cycling and swimming in there. I took part in a 1 mile race on Wednesday ... managed 6:12 which was actually better than I expected given the lack of preparation. PRF picked up the V50 win and HO the women's title.

I have so far managed 21 miles this week and still have Sunday's run to go, so hopefully I'll be back on it from here on. My 16 week marathon training schedule starts next week, so that will focus meimage. I'm going to follow the FIRST speed and tempo schedule but replace the "long run" with the Hanson double run (over two days). I think. image

Good news on the up-turn DT.image

WP - you seem to be going around in circle with that knee. Do you think it's going to heal up while you continue to run on it?

Andrew - hope you can get back to it soon!

• AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭

Dan - thanks, have managed runs on 4 out of 5 days in July so far, so a little bit better I suppose! Well done on the faster than expected mile and good luck with the start of the marathon schedule.

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

What marathon, Dr Dan? 

I seem to be dragging myself back. Into week 4 of my schedule. Went out lunchtime and did 9 at hmp plus 20. Added a warm up and CD to make it 12. That was the first time in 3 attempts I've been able to nail that session coming in at 6.52 average. The stats from it put be in or around where I was last Autumn when I ran my 10k pb, which I find bizarre as I feel like I've stuttered along since London. I've a local 10k Saturday which is very hilly and produces a time in the region of 1 min slower than is normally expect. I then have another local one a week today which I always log a reasonable time at despite its undulating profile. It could now turn into a pb attack. 

• AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭

Two (undulating) 10k races in 4 days! Rather you then me DT! Sounds like you are in a good place training wise then, if the stats are to be trusted. I really should make more (any) use of my HR monitor ....

• Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭

Good news DT. PB attacks can only be positive.

It's the Abingdon marathon for me this time... did it a few years back. I finished off the week with 9 miles on Sunday to bring up "30" along with 55 miles on the bike. I've ended up doing Leeds 10K on Sunday (usually avoid it but brother and daughter are doing it) so that will be this weeks speed work. Not looking forward to it given the slackness of the past month+. 6 miles easy today straight off my bike commute... 10 miles at 8:20/m planned for the morning.

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Anyone about?

How did yesterday go, Dr Dan?

First of 2 x 10ks on Saturday. Came in, in 40.57. Course pb of 20 seconds from last year. A lot of people struggled with the mix of humidity and a headwind plus nearly 300 foot of climbing. Looking at the results, the guys I finished around are all sub 40 runners so reasonable outcome.

Wednesdays 10k has over 100 foot less climbing. I did the same combo last year with the second race coming out exactly a minute faster than the first 10k.

• Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭

Good race DT ... interesting to see how Wednesday goes - hopefully dub-40! It was 42:08 for me at the Leeds 10K. After far too many slack weeks, I am pretty happy with that. I am now only at the end of week 1 of 16 of marathon training, so pretty pleased that the 10K was only 4 seconds/mile slower than the last road 10K in March when I was 8 weeks into the 16 week HM schedule. Humid day and quite congested at the start (6,700 finishers) but a good flat route. Ended up with the 13th fastest V50 chip time (prf bagged 1st v50 again!) and 265th over all.

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Yes, I know the feeling. Whilst it isn't unanticipated, since London I don't feel like i've done anything beyond muddle along, so I would be very pleased to find myself still in sub 40 shape on Wednesday.

My quads are feeling the hills today and my feet feel a bit battered from the flats I wore.

Sounds like you are in a reasonable place starting out.

Well done, PRF.

• parkrunfanparkrunfan ✭✭✭

Dr Dan - Not in bad shape at all as a starting point for a marathon campaign. Decent mileage and racing at a whole range of distances seem to be the main two ingredients required. I'm expecting a good'un at Abingdon image

You're right about it being humid yesterday but the course was enjoyable enough, only a bit different to Abbey Dash but that difference was a big improvement. It felt pretty good considering that it was the 3rd race in 7 days since a 2:55 at Potteries Marathon last Sunday. But still got outgunned by HO who clocked 36:52 in her 4th event (and 3rd win) since a sub 3 at Potteries.

I don't know whether I mentioned that she got her first international call up, running for Team GB in the World 50K Championships in Qatar in November. She is currently ranked no.1 in the UK and no. 13 in the world but despite those stats is probably slowest of the team of four, one of the other members being Philpub's missus.

DT - Just keep racing and the results will take care of themselves. Good luck on Wednesday.

• alehousealehouse ✭✭✭

Well done, PRF! And congratulations to HO on her Team GB call up! Did I see that you failed to parkrun on Saturday? 

Talking of which I went to an exceedingly wet Delamere with one of my athletes who, despite the conditions took 54 seconds off the age group record which was already reasonable. 81+ % WAVA on top of her Sale Sizzler win ten days ago: 84+%. Conditions were equally bad and she didn't run well! 

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.

Glad to see all the regulars doing well with training

Andrew: great going  on 4 out of 5 days running image

PRF It sounds like all going well for youimage

I have been away for a week and ran every day over a hilly course worse than at home but a lot of fun and lots of sunshine.

Knee has gone away finally and ran 6.5 yesterday and 8.5 today also entry gone in for Lake V in September so really hoping nothing will interfer with build up!

My 10k before the hols went well I enjoyed the race and did okay considering not been running I don't run many 10's this was my second one but I have one in September which is flat and fast so hoping to do well image

Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭

PRF - agree that the new course is very good (much better than the old one that went up Meanwood Rd) ... I will take it more seriously next year as it's PB potential.

Alehouse - well done to your protégé.

WP - great news on the knee! Things are looking up! image

34 miles of bike commuting so far this week, plus 8 miles easy Tues evening and 8.2 miles at MP this morning (was supposed to be easy but had time constraints, so swapped with Sunday's MP).

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Prf,  well done on the continued mass racing. I really cannot understand how you do it so consistently. Well done to HO on her call up. Great to be on the radar like that. 

WP, glad things are beginning to look up finally.

A slightly surprising outing tonight. Following Saturday's 40.57 I was hopeful of sneaking sub 40. However all my training stats (no idea why/how as I've been a bit all over place since London) suggested I was at pb level. Turns out they were right, posting 39.04 on my watch for a 22 second pb (though official time might lose me a second or two). What was most surprising was how I felt. Until a really hilly 5th mile it felt controlled, almost like I was on a tempo run. cut through the field in the second half as well and took and well beat some clubmates that have been ahead of me for some time. 

I have a friend of mine who paced me to my 5k pb (19.04) coming to parkrun Saturday to try and drag me to sub 19. 

• Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭

Well done, DT...and no reason why you can't get the sub 19 tomorrow.

Race report here, also! Have not been going well since the nose op, and haven't run hard since mid May, even in training. Donned a number last night at the second Sale Sizzler and was pleased with the outcome: 21:39, for a WAVA of 75.4%. That will do for now, and am sure there will be more to come when I next race in four weeks. In the meantime need to knuckle down to a few weeks hard training. Sizzlers are every two weeks but in a fortnight I have promised to pace at around 24:30. Legs were fine this morning which is unusual for me post race. Breathing was the main issue last night for the first 3k; legs struggled a bit towards the end.

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Well done alehouse.

18.59 today. Pleased given I had two hard fought 10ks in my legs from previous 7 days. 

• MYOXMYOX ✭✭✭
    Hello again everyone! Bit of a hiatus from me: got married and got a new job. Still been running but have been nursing various intermittent injuries - I think I'm guilty of pushing it a bit too far sometimes.

Dr Dan: well done on the triathlon! I've often thought about trying but I'm afraid I'd drown on the swim image

PRF: best wishes with your recovery.

Alehouse: good running! Hope your training goes well.

DT: good stuff on the multiple PBs.

I've had a good week: 25 miles or so, which is the most I've ever managed I think. Ran 13 miles with a local club on Monday, which was fun.

Parkrun today in 18:35 - new PB and happy with that!

Now to try to get to 30 miles a week and hold it consistently. Targeting some fell races and a 10k towards the end of the year.
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭

Good work, DT! Now for 18:30. What were the WAVAs for your two PBs? are they in line?

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

No, 5k is still very short. Think today was 71.91 and Wednesday was 72.69 I think. The difference is i don't feel I could have squeezed another drop out of today, whilst Wednesday I think I could have. 

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Nice going, Myox. You're coming along nicely. 

• Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭
    Myox and DT ... great parkruns!!!

And another great 5k from Alehouse too!

No racing to report here ... 4x800m session on Friday and then 9.2 miles today, mostly easy but with 7:30 & 7:05 for miles 6-8. 30 miles for the week with another 70 on the bike ... week 2 of 16 done and feeling good.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Just did 14 with 11 at hmp plus 30. I think the accumulation of 3vraces in previous 7 days and a fairly sweltering evening did me. Came out at 7.05 so I'm target thereabouts, but felt really trained last few miles as didn't take a drink out. 

• AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭

Afternoon all!

DT - what a successful few days you've had! Great stuff and I'm sure there will be more to come over the rest of the summer!

After a somewhat improved week a couple of weeks ago (getting to the giddy heights of 15 miles for the week lol) I have had a week off while away in the Isle of Wight. No running, and far too much food and drink consumed, but the island is surprisingly hilly and I reckon a week of pushing a pram around up those hills will have done me some good at least. My calves certainly got a workout anyway!!

Back on it this week ......

• Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭

Quiet here.image

That was a great long run DT ... you deserved to feel drained!

Andrew - hope this week went well for you!

Last week for me was 32 miles bike plus:
    A 6.3/13 mile run-0commute double on Tues evening/Wed morning (the two really hot days!). Fri was a 1200/1000/800/600/400m speed session. Sun - tempo. 7.1 with 5 miles at 7:07/m. 31 miles total.

This week - also 32 miles bike plus:
    10/10 miles double on Tues & Wed ... no carbs since Mon evening, so aiming for improving fat usage. Plan today is 5 x 1000m at about 3:50ish... Sunday another tempo before setting off on holiday ...  should get to 31 miles again.

Off camping next week but will try to keep up the regime.