Sub 3h15

Comments

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭
    Hey guys! Long time since I've been on here. Everything looks to be in order on here with some nice track sessions and those dipping their toes into the LSR territory. I hit the 50 continuous day mark of no running recently and decided to go for a plod. Have done a few more easy runs since and things seem to be ok. Had the MRI scan last week and waiting on the results. Just about to catch a plane so will catch you guys in a week or so. Keep up the good work all!
  • moofmoof ✭✭✭

Ooh,  Me ears are burning!

Hi all, how's it going? I've kept a low profile since picking up a calf injury after London which took an age to heal. I even avoided lurking on this thread as I was in deep sulk mode. I'm all better now with a whole month of run training under my belt, so the Outlaw should be a breeze.image

The positives I can take are that my cycling is a lot stronger now with a handful of comfortable 100+ rides on my TT bike which is encouraging. Plus the speed is there too as I average over 20mph for this in zone 2 heart rate, which apparently is where its at with this Iron distance malarkey.

I also managed my first 25 mile Time Trial in 58mins and 42 secs which I think is decent for a debut.

My swimming has also improved as I no longer fear the distance having swam it a few times now, I won't be breaking any records but I'd be more than happy with 75 to 77 mins for the 2.4 miles.

The running is what it is, so we'll just have to see if I can hang on.image

I'd better have a read back.

• moofmoof ✭✭✭

Oh, A minimum of 3 bikes is required but 5 would be Ideal. I love my TCR but not as much as my Shiv, which is my TT bike.

• SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭
    Shame you've had a calf problem Moof - it's a gamble racing a marathon during an IM campaign that's paid off for me in the past but didn't want to risk it this year.

Was definitely the right choice for me his year since an Olympic tri seems to have pushed me over the edge let alone 26 on the road. I won't run again until the day - shin still sore.

Nice TT result there (I hope that was with a gimassive tail windimage ).

I think it will be an interesting (and close) race for us.

Being chased down by a camel!

Where are you staying next week? - I think we're at the holiday inn

Bombed out at the club swim session this morning. The coach started us with a more than vigorous warm up and then said "the next bit will make you feel sick and wipe you out for the next 3 days..." as he unveiled a set of lactate torture. Managed 3 sets vs the prescribed 4 before cramping up to the point of not being able to move.

Deep joy.
  • moofmoof ✭✭✭

Pretty sure I'm staying at the Holiday inn, castle marina? 

The club coached swim session is my favourite of the week as it has really improved my swim with the constant reminders / nagging about my poor technique. Plus I wouldn't be able to complete some of those tough sessions without the encouragement and friendly rivalry with my peers.

I had a time in mind for outlaw which would hopefully be 75mins swim, 5.30 for the bike and maybe 3.30(?) for the run. On their own it would be ok, especially the bike and run but I have no experience of how my body will react working for that length of time. Its all guess work for me and your experience counts for so much.

I'd imagine by the time the running starts its just pure survival mode.

• SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭
    Looks like a sensible and achievable plan

I think I'll be a bit ahead from the swim and maybe a bit faster than that on the bike (depending on the conditions) so will keep my rear view mirror on alert for you on the run

The IM run is a different beast to normal marathon running

It's quite hurty

Trick is to set a pace limit and don't get too carried away too early on. That last 10K of a marathon feeling generally hits after about 8miles There's something to look forward to!

I think that's probably the same hotel. Are you staying over on the Sunday too? Post race beer!!
  • moofmoof ✭✭✭

Yes, we'll swap tales of smashing the course!  image

• SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭
    Damn right!

I'll be laying my kit out on the dining room table tomorrow to check for any missing items. Don't think I've forgotten anything.......
  • Getting excited about another thread smackdown! Good luck both.

Disappointing news on the bike in so far as Giant seem to be out of stock of the one I fancy so need to decide whether to wait until October, in other words for use next year,  or go for something different.  Might have to have another look on the Planet X website.

Up in Edinburgh at the moment, but staying out near the airport, so managed 6 miles along the canal this morning.  Will be a rest day tomorrow as I've got to get an early flight. 

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Well done DE that's a good effort, always good to get near your PB pace.

Welcome back Gerard good to hear from you.

10 miles here, a nice gentle plod.

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

SJ -  SlokeyJoe wrote (see)

Bombed out at the club swim session this morning. The coach started us with a more than vigorous warm up and then said "the next bit will make you feel sick and wipe you out for the next 3 days..." as he unveiled a set of lactate torture. Managed 3 sets vs the prescribed 4 before cramping up to the point of not being able to move.
    Deep joy.

And your IM is this weekend? image 
    Mega-uber-slow-plodtastic 8 miles this morning for me.

• SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭
    Next weekend Gul! Plenty of time to recover

Lovely 2.5miler in Windermere first thing this morning with no issues image
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

That Planet-X bike is SO tempting! image

My Wednesday rest certainly helped the track session last night. It was a pyramid of - 2,4,6,8,10,12,10,8,6,4,2,2,2 (00s) at 6.10 pace with 45 sec recs. Felt very comfy indeed.

Did this session back in May at 6.40 pace, so it's nice to see some improvement.

Slow 20 tomorrow.

GD

• moofmoof ✭✭✭

I like to use the local bike shops when after a new bike. When I bought my TT bike (Specialize Shiv) I had a retul bike fit first to find the best geometry bike to suit me. It does work out more expensive but I think comfort on the bike is so important. 120 miles (6 hours) in an aero postion is pretty comfortable, so for me its worth the extra expense rather than taking a punt on the intetnet.

Decent reps G-Dawg.

• Welcome back to GM - great to hear from you.

Great reps there G-Dawg - you're on fire at the moment.

SJ - thanks for that link. I'm now in a bit of a dilemma. Part of me agrees with Moof's approach that it's worth paying a bit extra for the bike down at the local bike shop so that it can be fitted properly and part of me likes the look of the Planet X bike. The clincher may be the availability of the Giant Defy Advanced - the 2 isn't in stock any more and the guy in the shop needs to check whether they've got the lower spec'd 3. Won't find out until Monday though.

Back on two legs, it was a rest day this morning but planning to get out for a medium length off road run tomorrow.

Younger Lorenzito was keen to tell me about the session he did down at training the other night: 5 mins at 6m/m, 5 mins at 5:50, 5 mins at 5:40, 5 mins at 5:30 (consecutively with no interval), 3 minute interval and then repeat for a second lot of 20 minutes. Made my nose bleed just thinking about it. Turns out his coach had asked him whether he wanted to try this sesh with Georgie Bruinvels (sub 34:30 10K and 2:38 marathon runner) who he used to coach and who'd come back to the club for a one-off visit. 

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

SJ - phew!
    Apologies for flying visit. Off to the beach today. 10 steady miles (7:51m/m). I'm ignoring the HR data today - avg 166 max 230!

• Fish52Fish52 ✭✭✭

With Moof's hundred milers, Slokey's massive open water swims and Lorenzito's super quick reps, it's definitely nose bleeds all round.

It's good to see a post from you Gerard, hope you're soon back in a running routine - enjoy your trip, whether business or pleasure.

That's a good pyramid session GD, with great progression.

I'm also looking forward to the next thread smackdown. I've run plenty of marathons, done some decent long bike rides and the odd swim - I still can't get my head around stringing them altogether in one continuous race.

I took advantage of the beautiful weather today, with an 8 hour adventure on my trusty steed. A small tour of South Lakes, taking in all the well known honey pots, plenty of decent climbs and cracking views.

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    I had a smallish smackdown with junior in a windy parkrun today. I ran a surprisingly quick 18:06, while she faded to 18:45. All looking good for next weeks Coastal run.

Enjoy the beach Gul
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

Fishy - sounds like you had a cracking day.
    OO - great parkrun and smackdown win.
    Nice day at the beach yesterday - the sun was just coming out as we left...
    5 mile recovery run d&d this morning. 72 miles for the week.

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

Great mini-smack-down OO. Good to keep the upstarts in check!

Good miles Gul, I'm amazed at the volume some of you guys hit.

Just back from a 5k recovery run and boy did I need it.
    Yesterday's 20 miler bit me on the arse good and proper. The route was one I'd done before, fairly flat but I added some extra miles along the Thames towpath as well as the usual stuff I had planned along the Thames and the canal back to Woking to make it more scenic

Combined with the heat and the energy sapping off-road surface, I was shattered by 15 miles. I pushed on and saw it through but at one point I wondered if I was walling? My mate felt the same, so I know it must have been the conditions causing the problems.We finished at 8.08 pace, which is about right for the LSR anyway.

However, this is all good as I see it as all part of the heat acclimatization I need just in case Berlin is a bit on the warm side.

GD

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

GD you are right to prep for Berlin heat, it is one of the variables you can adapt to with a bit of practice. And don't forget my tip, suns out guns out- makes a helluva difference with no top to keep your body 1-2 degrees cooler.

I was prepping for the Coastal today. 4 miles on grass, 4 on road and 5 on the beach. All feeling good.

Amazing mileage Gul, I was a humble 43 for the week.

• G-Dawg - it was deceptively warm yesterday so not surprising you found it hard going.

Nice smackdown win from you OO

Improssive mileage Gul - good idea to take it easy today.

8 hours on the bike Fishy - where did you a mange to get to?

Just over 13.5 hilly miles for me first this morning before it got too warm, taking me up to 41 for the week. I stayed on the road to give my new Hitogamis a run out - there was a deal on via Amazon and I managed to pickup 2 pairs for just under £100 all in. Should keep me going for a few months.

Spent the afternoon over at Bromley as uounger Lorenzito got a last minute call up to the Surrey squad for the Intercounties match and managed just under 9:19 for the 3000m in his first outing at that distance this season. I'm putting it down to me lending him my pair of running shorts. image

• Odd week for me. Tuesday 5k in over 20 minutes, felt just can't be arsed and wasn't helped when my glasses got knocked off by a low branch and had to spend about 20 seconds back tracking and hunting for them. Thursday 2.5k (one lap of the same course we did two of on Tuesday) and I was much faster and felt much better. Saturday parkrun took it steady as I had a 4am drop-off for my son as he set off on a tour of the atrocities of the Second World War but cam out 19.2x which is what I have been doing when pushing recently. Nice run this morning in the sunshine up the Thames.

40 miles for the week, pretty much the same as I have done every week since London with one week off. 1,279 for the year, if I have a solid July and August will be a good total.

• Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭

Lorenzo- nice 13 and fast shorts image

PMJ-speedy parkrun 

28m for the week !

• PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭

Need to find a way of cloning Lorenzo's shorts.

Big miles Gul - what's the current A target?

I think OO has already got the Coastal Race smackdown D&D

Busy here but did parkrun y'day, muddy XC but scraped sub 20 for 5th spot and a full 3 min ahead of the next OG50 slacker. Edging in the right direction.

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

GD - good 20 in the bag - with all that quality stuff you are doing, you could easily drop the pace a bit more on the long runs I reckon.
    OO - you must be in taper mode though!
    Lorenzo - I presume that's a new pair of running shoes you're talking about- not your shorts at that price! As for younger Lorenzito - smokin'! 
    PMJ - nicely ticking over with a decent parkrun there.
    Leslie - saving your legs for the next track session?
    Poacher - nice progress. No 'A' race for me yet, but I'm hoping to do a few without piling on any pressure instead. There are a couple of possibilities in September - Thetford Iceni and King's Forest marathons (same weekend - so just one of the two!) And then I'll probably do the Peterborough HM (GER) in October and maybe the Norfolk Coastal marathon too, so I might even need to buy a pair of trail shoes! The only possibility of a serious GFA attempt would be Abingdon, but I'm now thinking that's probably unlikely.
    A very slow MLR this morning - 13 miles @ 9:23 m/m HR 127.

• Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭

Poacher - nice sub 20 image

Gul nice 13m and you are correct ! (did 4 easy last night )

down the track again this morn image ,different session of : 3 mile hard , 1 lap easy then 2 mile hard. 

(6:19, 6:27, 6:28 ) + ( 6:23, 6:26) settled into a good pace after too fast a start but pleased with that image

only 2 walkers round the outside lane of the track well out the way image

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

HOT!! Went out to do 6 miles at 7.30 pace, thanks to hills and heat it was 7.32 pace. that'll do.

Supposed to be even hotter tomorrow. Might have to think about doing my 5 mile fartlek at Gul-o'clock.

GD

• Fish52Fish52 ✭✭✭

Well Lorenzo, I was out for 8 hours, but that also included 4 tea stops in Kendal, Hawkshead, Ambleside and Milnthorpe. I also took in some bridal paths over Borwick Fold and Claife Heights, which slowed me down, but also provided some brilliant views. Nice 13.5 miler and a decent amazon bargain on the Mizunos.

I also had a recent altercation with a low branch PMJ. I was biking and was forced to the edge of the road by some poor driving, taking a smash to my right eye. Makes me look like a boxer, rather than a runner! Good mileage for an odd week.

Nice MV50 competing there Poacher.

Good speed on the track Lesley. I always find pacing is trickier on the track than in a race.

That's a decent flexible plan for the autumn, Gul. And you're certainly stacking up some impressive base mileage.

The heat has only just arrived in the NW GD. You did well to keep within 2 seconds of your target pace.