Are you and "in" or an "out"?

Comments

• VDOT52VDOT52 ✭✭✭
    Any deal 'in principle' is easy to sort out. It is a bit trickier when people start muddying the waters with actual details and legally binding agreements.
  • Mr PuffyMr Puffy ✭✭✭
    Population of Australia: 24 million

Population of EU minus UK: 440 Million.

We've lost a tenner and found a penny.
  • LogicScience wrote (see)
    We have the result of a referendum but no article 50 invoked and as far as I can tell, no actual requirement to invoke it. I might be wrong because law is not really my subject but as far as I can tell, the democracy we all enjoy is really just a weathervane for the government to gauge public opinion and continue leading us however they want therefore we might or might not leave the EU but not until on balance it suits the EU, Britain and the rest of the world at once. I wouldn't be surprised if we saw some other country leave the EU before Britain got round to it.

Legally the referendum result means nothing, politically it means rather a lot. Legally speaking there's nothing to stop the government ignoring the result or holding a 2nd referendum. But the political fallout of either of those actions would be huge.

There are a few interesting legal questions that are not yet answered. It's not clear if the Prime Minister can unilaterally invoke Article 50 or if that requires a vote in the House Of Commons. We don't have a written constitution, so it's hard to say. I'd be surprised if there wasn't a vote, even if it isn't legally required.

It's also not 100% clear if Brexit requires the consent of the Scottish Parliament. I'm pretty sure the Scotland Act allows the UK to leave the EU without that consent, but IANAL.

Personally, I expect Article 50 to be triggered sometime in the first half of next year. I don't see any way (politically) that it can be avoided.

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Mr Puffy wrote (see)

Population of Australia: 24 million
    Population of EU minus UK: 440 Million.

We've lost a tenner and found a penny.

Proof required.

🙂

• Probably makes more sense to look at GDP?

Australia - $1.2 trillion

EU - $16.2 trillion

UK - $2.8 trillion

(I make it that we've lost a tenner and found a quid)

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

yes, but at least the quid has the queen's head on it. God Save the Queen!

• NorthEnderNorthEnder ✭✭✭

Well done Liam, but I just noticed that Australia is quite a long way away.  It would be great if we could now work on finding a market rather closer to home. That might have more economic (and ecological) value.

I'm in the "lost a tenner, found a penny" camp.  But it's a start.

• DustinDustin ✭✭✭

As NE alludes to , it's probably worth considering shipping costs as well as outright costs in comparing trading partners.

OK so the nuclear option. Why don't we just tell everyone we have loads of nuclear warheads on board submarines globally when really all they are are marine research vessels. I mean if a lunatic Iraqi leader can convince a well educated British head of Government that they could launch an attack before I've finished my 5km, we, as an (arguably) intelligent state should be able to deceive/convince the rest of the world?

• Dustin, how do you know we haven't been doing that for years?

• VDOT52VDOT52 ✭✭✭
    Dustin, they didn't believe he had nuclear weapons. They did however have it on good authority that there were huge oil assets to be stripped at a keen price.

Oh and good ol dubeeya bush wanted to get one up on his dad.

Re the nuclear option, May is obviously a nut job. Putin saying shit like that is one thing but an English PM ?! WTAF??
  • Awesome news on the Oz Trade Deal. Have you SEEN how much Uggs cost ?

Will we get them cheap now ?
  • I thought you got your Uggs on Birkenhead Market Coug's ? 

• Worn them to death Dave you seeeee....

Need new ones.

When does this trade deal begin ?
  • 15West15West ✭✭✭

When we exit EU.

IMF doing a bit of scaremongering again. Bloody experts, what do they know?

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

May talking to Merkel today, we'll see who's boss now!

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Read some (apparently bias) article about Brexit on the BBC site yesterday.

I find the HYS facility more interesting, so I largely bypassed the dross and went to the comments section.

Looks like the 'Leaves' are having a day putting the boot into 'Remains'.

My view is to deal with 'what actually happens', rather than what 'might' happen.

Saves time.

🙂

• If you have time, have a look at this:

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2016/jul/20/patients-could-be-struck-off-gp-surgery-lists-after-five-years-of-no-contact#comments

Basically the headline is misleading and the second line in (yep the second line) makes this abundantly obvious. 

If you read the comments it will also become clear that around 50% of people posting never read that far as they were too busy being outraged about the headline. Not only that but it is also clear that they haven't read all the comments from the large numbers of idiots before them saying exactly the same thing and being corrected by those who bothered to read on down the page.

The Leave vote seems to me to reflect this lazy dumbassery on a grand scale.

• Sooo just skim reading it -

"Patients face being removed from GP surgery lists if they do not contact their doctor for five years as part of an NHS drive to save money.

A patient who has been out of touch for that long will receive two letters, and if they do not respond, they will be taken off their GP???s list."

Makes sense really. You get two chances to confirm you're still a patient.

Must admit I didn't know GP's got money for each patient registered. I'd no idea how GP funding works,
  • yep... headline sounds like you will lose your gp if you are too healthy.......read the details and its a sensible way to stop GP's claiming for people who do not exist or to stop several GP's claiming for the same patient

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

It's the world according to 'Twitter'.

Seems about the maximum size chunk of information a lot of people can cope with.

That's why a headline is taken as the 'whole story'.

🙂

• VDOT52VDOT52 ✭✭✭
    Isn't a sound bite with no factual support how we roll theses days? Or is that just when important shiit is being voted on by the public?
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Responding to sound bites are how 95% of the population function.

Take a group whose main driver is appetite, and who respond to extraneous influences with impulse reactions, and that's your average.

The arrogance of plenty of so called educated people is that they believe their academic qualifications and self anointed intellectual superiority, gives their own particular 'impulse' judgements validity. When they are no more informed than anyone about, well, anything much.

Problems occur since these very same people are in a position to screw up in situations which involve others.

🙂

• VDOT52 wrote (see)
    Isn't a sound bite with no factual support how we roll theses days? Or is that just when important shiit is being voted on by the public?

Seems to be the norm now.

The Graun did a piece recently on how critical judgement is being eroded by social media because what people "consume" (I won't dignify it with the word "read") is increasingly fitted to their own world view and doesn't challenge their thinking or present an opposite view. It was pretty accurate and very worrying.

You could send a tweet saying you saw a Muslim eating a baby in Bethnal Green and it would probably be believed and disseminated. They used the example of Cameron and the Pig's head which actually has no basis in truth whatsoever. The so-called source, i.e. the woman who wrote the book that supposedly contains the allegation says she never heard any such thing.

Inquests have proved beyond all doubt that John Charles De Menezes never jumped a barrier and Liverpool fans had nothing to do with what happened at Hillsborough but some people still choose to believe otherwise. The truth doesn't matter anymore, only opinion. 

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

And as Dirty Harry said, "Opinions are like arseholes, everyone has one".

🙂

• it does amuse me slightly that a number of people who have such varied opinions on threads on many different matters have a similar view on this matter  image

this thread has been very civilised and grown up  :0

Just start a discussion about something important like wearing headphones in races - all hell will break loose...

• VDOT52VDOT52 ✭✭✭
    I think we all have a line where seeing outright stupidity trumps our political and personal belief systems adnatvthatbpoint we have to call it out.

Headphones in races Should be a personal choice. Health and safety experts been saving idiots for too long. The racing public is sick of experts.
  • sam as having to wear clothes in public......how on earth can someones personal choice to wear clothes or not have any impact on other peoples lives......

just the man trying to tell us how to live......why on earth cant i walk topless down a road if a bloke can....how on earth is then not discrimination   image

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Personally speaking I have no problem with women wanting to wander about, stripped to the waist.

So long as they keep their shirts on. image

🙂